Stay with me

Do you hear me?

Stay with me


 

I looked at my watch, it was just half past ten and a clear sunny morning. All of my classmate looks immerse in P.E class as they still play at the field even in the hot sun. One of my classmate bring a ball from the store room and suggest some games for us to play.

 

"Yah, let's play a hell ball. We separate into four teams and one of the team must be a thrower while others team need to dodge the ball. The team that last longer will be the winner." Junhoe chooses the game and explain the rules to all of us.

"Okay, the losers will finish up the winner's homeworks." I said and some of them agree with my idea.

 

We separate into four teams and make sure that the members in each group are balance.Unfortunately, I end up in a dodge team. I need to run fast so I won't be the losers. Plus, I'm the one who came out with such ideas, for losers to do all the homeworks. In a count of 3, the whistle being blow and the hell ball start.

I try my best to dodge the ball and almost bump with my own teams. In this state, I feel a bit regret to agree with this game. I should stay away from them in the first place so I won't be here. Running like crazy and avoid the ball. The thrower sure don't have any mercy as they pitch the ball hardly.

After feel like forever do the same thing, I decide to stop for a while to breathe properly. Then, I feel a gust of wind fly beside me and it's make me froze on my spot.

 

"Yah, do you want to kill me?" I yell at whoever throwing the ball. I almost die because of that ball but all of them just laugh at me.

"Dayoon-ah, can you take the ball? It's already roll outside the field." Serri shouts at me while points at the ball.

"Okay." I simply said as I run outside the field.

 

The ball keeps roll and I need to catch it before it goes far away. Then, I can see someone take the ball and I quickly go to him. He spins the ball on his index finger while stare at me as I approach him.

 

"Oh, can I get back that ball?" I ask him while point at the ball. I see something on his wrist but it didn't clear. The mark on his wrist make me think something. I think I saw it before but where?

 

He doesn't said anything instead he just smile scarily at me. The atmosphere around us feel so heavy and I feel insecure under his fierce gaze. Since he didn't said anything, I try to think a right words to get back the ball but then I realized something. He's wearing a different uniform from us so I guess he's from other school. But why he is here? Shouldn't he be at his own school right now? Or maybe he is a new student.

 

"Are you a new student here? Because you're wearing other uniform from us." I ask him as polite as I could be. Perhaps, he's in rush to change the school until he had no time to buy a new uniform. That's what I could think right now.

"No." Finally, he answers my question even only one sentence. His eyes never leave me alone and I feel quite burden.

"So, why are you here?" I titled my head with a slow blink, try to vanish whatever feeling I've got.

 

Smiling, he shortened the distance between us and bend down to reach my eye level. No words escape from my mouth due to the shock by his brave action. Doesn't he knows that we're in school right now? Correction, my school. How if the teacher see us and misunderstand about our condition right now. As I try to said something, he slips his head to my right side and whisper something in my ear.

 

"It's happened before, it'll happen again, Dayoon-ah." He said with a wink and a kiss on my cheek.

 

With that, he straightened his back and take my hand in him. He passes the ball to me and pursed his mouth in a self-satisfied smirk. My eyes widen by his sudden action and I can hear him chuckles. I quickly release his hand from me as I let the ball fall freely from my grip and take a few step back from him. Why did he does that?

 

"L?" I said in a low voice when my eyes set on his name tag. What a weird name.

"I love it when you look only at me like this and say my name." Again, his smile creep the hell out of me.

 

After his last-long words, he leaves me dumbstruck with terror. I gulp my saliva and look at his back as he leaves my school. What just happen at me and who's that guy? I've never seen him before. What did he mean by it'll happen before. I've never met him. My long lost thought being distract by Serri's high pitch voice.

 

"Song Dayoon! Back to earth, will you? What took you so long to take the ball?" Serri nudges my arm and sigh heavily. All of my classmate start to complain about my late arrival. To make it worse, the bell ring just in time they stop complain. I feel kinda guilty towards them since I let myself wander around on that weird guy called L.

"Yah, stop daydreaming. Let's keep back the ball in the store before they lock the store room." Serri pick up the abandon ball in front of me and about to walk away but stop when something escape from my mouth.

"Did you saw that guy?" I look at her nervously. Serri seems bewildered by my unwelcome questions.

"Which guy? Did he's hot?" Serri jokes as she wriggles her eyebrows and giggles at my lose face.

"Um..Forget it. I think I'm dreaming just now." I shrug my complicated thought and let Serri drags me to the store room to keep the ball back.

"But you know what? You need to be grateful because you have an ability to dream while stand still." Again, her jokes make me face palm myself.

 

The last period end as the bell ring through the hall. All the student get excited as they broke one of the school rules by running in the hall. I pack up all my stationery and keep it in my bag. As I stand from my seat, suddenly I feel goose bump as if someone watching me. Even there's still a few student in my class, I really feel someone's gaze on me. I look at my classmate who's chatting with each other without bother look at me.

Then, I realized that my seat is beside the window. I quickly turn my head outside the window but still, I see no one act mysterious out there. Recently, I sense something eerie following me around. An uncanny feeling that I was being watched.

 

"Maybe I'm too tired so I start hallucination." I reassure myself as I throw my bag on my shoulder and step out from my class.

 

I saunter through the hall and straight to the school gate. There's still a few of student in front of the school so I confidently exit the school gate. No one will harm me, right? I continue my journey to my home as I cross the road and make sure that there's some people on my way to my house. Unknowingly, I become more beware on my way to home after unexpected meeting with that guy at my school earlier.

As I walk pass the shop, something caught my attention. I saw a glimpse of a figure in the shade. It's make my heart beat uncontrollable but I try to ignore this feeling. But then, someone approach behind me and block my vision with their hand. I almost yelp in terror however, the owner of the voice make me shut back my mouth.

 

"It's me, Serri! Don't overacted. People will think I'm going to kidnap you if you're shouting." Serri's voice make me calm down and I really feel relieved.

"Yah, don't act like that again." I turn to face her and brush off her palm on my eyes. Serri just grin foolishly while scan my expression.

"You better had a good explanation with your sudden action just now." I pretend to be angry while tap my foot.

"Happy birthday, Dayoon-ah." She cheers while take out something in her pocket and blow the part blower in front of my face. A smile slowly appear on my face and I quickly hug Serri. I totally forget my birthday today.

"You know what, I forgive you for make me almost die because of shocked." I release the hug and look at Serri.

"I have a present for you but you need to back facing me first and don't forget to close your eyes." Serri push me so I will back facing her. She runs to the nearest shop to buys a present.

 

I just stand beside the path and rest my right shoulder on the tree while close my eyes as Serri's commands before. Then, within a minute, I feel a palm block my vision again. One thing that I don't realize is that's not a girl's palm.

 

"You're so quick." I touch Serri's hand on my eyes but it's feel weird. Why did Serri's hand is big and rough? And I can feel a hot breath on my bare neck. I try to brush off the palm on my eyes but a familiar chuckle make me stop from doing that.

"Time to go home, Dayoon-ah." With that words, someone block my nose with a handkerchief and I blackout in whoever embrace that support behind me.

 

Serri who's just exit from the shop, wander around to find her friend. She goes to where her friend stand before but still couldn't find her.

 

"Did Dayoon left?"

The loud noise make me awake from my sleep. I open my eyes and scan the room properly. The surrounding around me don't seems familiar at all and I know that I'm not in my own room nor my house. The wall being painted in light pink color and the window being covered by flower-printed curtain. The room is really suitable for a girl around my age but not me.

I have my own room and house so how can I end up in here? I try to remember back about what just happen at me. As long as I know, Serri asked me to wait for her since she's going to bought a present. And then, what happen? I caress my temple while close my eyes, try hard to recall.

 

"Are you already awake?" The door knob being pull and a guy step into the room with a tray on his hand. He approach me with concerned on his face while put the tray on the table beside the bed.

"Who are you?" I hiss as I move away when he sits on the bed.

"I'm angel and demon so don't expect any kindness." He takes my hand in him but I quickly pull back my hand. I frown as I give a dirty look at him.

"Happy birthday, Dayoon-ah." He smile as he takes out something behind him and pass it to me.

 

A gift?

 

I don't touch the gift that he handed to me instead just look at him. He stares back at me and I can see a confuse expression on his face when I don't take the gift. How did he knows that today is my birthday? And wait..Suddenly something hit my mind, how on the earth he knows my name? I don't wear any name tag on my uniform.

 

"Why aren't you unwrap the gift? It's a special gift. Only for you." He seems taken aback by my action. I just shook my head slowly as sign I don't want anything from him. I don't dare to talk to him because any false words can lead me to the death.

"But that gift, I prepared with all my heart for you. Don't you like it? Not even a word?" He asks me with hopeful. I don't said anything as I clutch the blanket beside me.

"But it's okay, dear. It's doesn't bother me as long as we're together. And don't clutch the blanket if you're nervous. You can always talk to me and let me know if you're scared." He caress my hair as he smile lovingly at me. I move backward when he touched my hair and quickly take a pillow beside me and place it between us.

"Are you afraid? I'm not going to hurt you, okay? Because I love you." He looks hurt by my action but I just ignore it. I need to escape from here. I can't stay any longer here.

"Why me?" I ask when he tries to approach me. My question make him stop in his spot.

"Because we're meant for each other. I always observe and protect you from far away. You're so kind and cute and it's make me want to protect you more. I'm going crazy. No, I grow crazier, the more I saw you." He explains while rub the back of his neck.

 

He observed me all this time? Is he my stalker or some crazy maniac?

 

"L?" That one word escape from my mouth as I remember his face. He's the same guy who's I met this morning at my school. His face lifted up when he hears his name being called.

"Stay away from me." I gasp when I said those threatened words out loud and his face suddenly change. No smile on his face anymore instead it's being replace by darkened expression. Did I said something wrong? Yes.

 

I really don't have any idea about what's to do right now since I guess he's angry by my words. Out of the blue, he hugs me tightly and whispers something into my ear.

 

"Don't said like that. You don't want me to show my other side, right?" His voice sound blackmail for me and my body become stiff after hearing that. I just stay still in his embrace as he's humming a random song.

"Answer me?" He whispers when he receives no respond from me. I nod slowly.

"I want to hear your voice." L said again. But this time his voice become soft.

"Yes." Even it's hard for me to said, I still need to answer him. It's better to endure than languish. 

"Good girl." He release the hug and caress my cheek gently. I look around the room or everywhere I could, except his eyes. It's suffocating to look into his eyes.

 

Then, something can be heard outside the room. I look at the door direction and become slightly curious. Is there anyone in this house beside L and me? L looks at me as he notices I keep look at the door direction. Slowly, he push me on the bed and make me lay on the pillow. He stand up from the bed and smile at me.

 

"You look tired, you better take a nap. I have something to do out there." He flash his most lovable smile at me before he leaves the room. I exhale properly as he close the door.

 

Is he a psycho? I need to get out from here now. This is a chance. I jump off from the bed and walk towards the window. The glass being tinted so people outside can't see inside the room. I try to open the window but stop my when I hear a footstep outside the room. I quickly jump back on the bed and look at the door.

L open the door and he smile when he see me on the bed. He approach me and bend down to look into my eyes.

 

"I forget to remind you something. Don't even try to escape." His tone become more serious when he mentioned the 'escape' word. My eyes widen as he warns me. How could he knows? I nod while avoid my eyes meet him but he didn't go away. He still there, in front of me, waiting for something.

"Yes, I won't." I said slowly and received a smile from him. He come near me and kiss the corner of my lips. With that, he leaves me and lock the door.

 

I grit my teeth while grasp the blanket angrily. Why should I hear his command? Because I'm afraid of him, of what he capable to do. I shook my head and let it go since I have a good reasons why I obey him. Then, an idea hit my mind. I still have my phone with me.

 

"Pabo." I hit my head gently as I fish out my phone from my pocket.

"Okay, you can do it, Dayoon. Just dial 119 and it'll solve." I pray in my heart that my brave action will not expose.

 

As I swipe the screen of my phone, nothing came out. I hit the button but still, the screen is black. What the hell? I open the case to check the battery but to my horror, there's no battery in my cell phone. How can? This is useless. I throw my phone on the floor and my tears slowly roll down on my cheek.

 

"No, this is not a right time to cry." I wipe my tears, try to encourage myself. Even I know it didn't work since I'm still feel afraid with him.

"Did L took out my battery?" I question myself and look at the room door. Somehow, I feel like someone will burst out the door and kill me.

 

I jump out from the bed and walk to the door. I press my ear on the door and try to gain some information by hear something outside the door but I can't hear anything. I feel like no one at the home. Only me and my fear. I try to be bold by turn open the knob. Please, let my thought right.

By the time I turn the knob, my palms feel itchy and my throat constricted. My breath wheezes into and out of me through a throat like a kinked garden hose.

Luckily, the door didn't creaked when I push it open. The mother fairy is with me so I just need to trust myself. That's what I thought when I feel anxious. I scan the house properly and make sure that there's no people, especially L, the psycho. The house is pretty big and posh.

I need to be cautious if I don't want to be caught by anyone in this house. I tip toe to the living room while keep looking back and front. Who know someone will attack me from behind.

 

"A door." I whisper as I see the front door. If I don't get out now I might never get out. Please, just this time. Let it work perfectly.

 

I mentally pray inside my heart while slowly put my hand on the knob. Please. I turn the knob without hurrying.

 

"Aish, that L. He seems to disbelieve me." I sigh as the front door being locked. What should I do next? I'm not going to stay still and wait for the help that never come. I turn to my back and found no one there. Let's see.

 

The backdoor.

 

Even I know I'm not in state to happy right now but I can't help myself from smiling alone. The backdoor is only my chance. A golden key to get out from here. I rush to the kitchen and see the backdoor. I walk toward the door and stand there for a while. As I put my hand on the knob and turn it, the door suddenly open and reveal a nice backyard with some flowers in a vases.

A dog barks and make me jump. A squeal escape my throat and I quickly slap my hands-both of them-over my mouth, trying to hold it in, but it's too late. It's out on the air where L can hear it. I turn my back and see L right behind me with an unamused expression plastered on his face. I bet he must be very angry at me.

Without wasting any time, I run my heart out with my bare feet. I don't know that he's living near the woods. I don't even turn my back as I try my best to disappear from his sight. I run into the woods when I hear a loud pace behind me. The sound of birds singing, then taking flight as I near.

I am outside. I have escape. I glance back over my shoulder but see no one. No walls surround me. Maybe he gave up. Maybe I'm really free. My adrenalin pumping as I run nonstop. There is no one around here. It's just only me and the sunlight and the silence of the woods.

I allow myself a quiet moment, almost allow myself to cry. I walk at first, but the walk become a jog and soon enough I'm running again. As I'm deep into the woods, I see a road that lead to the town. I can't hold my smile anymore as I exhale in relieved. I rush to the road and see many cars pass by the road. I take a briefly moment and stop for a while.

 

"Where should I go now?" I talk to myself while breathing hard.

"You are not going anywhere." A pair of arm sneak on my waist and a peril whisper can be heard in the silent woods. My face turn white when he back hug me.

 

I struggle hard to escape from his embrace but he's way stronger than me. All I need right now is smart brain, not strength.

 

"L, stop it. You're creepy." I hiss as I try to take off his arm from my waist.

"Call me Myungsoo." He said without care about my words. I inhale hardly before do as he said.

"Myungsoo-ah, let me go!" I keep struggle to get free.

"I'm not creepy, I'm just different from other guys." He snuggles on my back neck. "Why are you running away?" He adds.

 

I'm speechless as he asks me a question with no answer. Of course I run to save my own life.

 

"I'm afraid of your love." I answer honestly.

 

After hears an answer that shouldn't be mentioned, he lift me up bridal style and take a short cut to his house. I don't struggle anymore since he can throw me in the wood and kill me. Plus, he's mind is not good right now and he can do anything to risk my life.

We arrive at his house in a minute and I know that I'm not running far enough. Anyway, it's like a movie. The killer will always fast no matter how speedily you're running. He places me on the sofa in the living room and glare at me. I gulp my saliva and pretend to ignore him. At this time, I feel like tearing up.

 

"Cry? Why are you crying? You're prettiest when you're smiling so smile more." He wipes my invincible tears and hug me.

"I'm sorry for make you cry." He caress my hair gently. If he's not a crazy psycho, maybe I will date him. His way to persuade me is so sweet and I'm sure all the girls will melt by his action. If only he's a normal guy.

 

Then, someone kick out the front door and a few men with uniform barge into the house. I startled as I lock an eyes at them. L manages to whisper something into my ear and run using a backdoor. The police with a gun chase after L and Junhoe appear nowhere as he approach me.

 

"Junhoe-ah, how can you know that I'm here?" I can't hide my happiness as I pull him into a hug.

"I saw you running like crazy in the woods and saw someone chase after you. Then, I follow you to this house and call the police." Junhoe explain slowly as he rubs my back, try to soothe me.

"Thank you." Finally, I cry. But cry of happiness.


It's already 2 months but my mind seems can't erased the incident that happen to me. I just lazily lay on the couch since today is school holiday. The words that L whisper to me 2 months ago before the police caught him still linger on my mind.

 

It's my obsession, don't curse me.

 

As I stare blankly on the ceiling, suddenly I remember something. The mark on L's wrist. I've seen it before.

1 year ago, when I'm on my way to go home from school, I saw a group of gangster bullied a guy on the empty alley. I gather up my courage to help that guy as I trick them using my phone. I open my playlist and hit the siren button. They thought the sound of the siren is from the police car so they ran away and leave that guy alone, bleeding.

 

"Are you alright?" I ask the guy but he didn't answer me. And that time, I saw a mark on his wrist.

 

That guy had a same mark with L. Or maybe it's the same guy. After helps that guy, I start to feel an eye around me.

 

"Maybe it's hard to be a nice people." I sigh as I sit on the couch and turn on the television. The news on the television caught my attention as I take the remote and volume up the sound.

 

The prisoner escape from the jail and nowhere to be found. The police double up their work to search for that guy and if you happen to see him somewhere, let's us know by calling 119. His name is Kim Myungsoo.

 

And that time, I heard something on my room.

 

"I'm back. Don't be afraid anymore."