Winja | Sprout of interest

Beautiful Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

When I had entered the singer's house I had asked myself: „Am I stupid? Is this what stupid people do?“

 

Probably yes.
But here I was, sitting down in front of this stranger and accepting the steaming cup of tea he gave me.
The young man seemed a little dazed and confused. He obviously had thought I would know his name, but I didn't. When he had woken me up in the car I had seen him for the first time and I had expected him to shout at me and to tell me to get out but he had been polite. He had led me upstairs into his apartment were I unnoticeably had rechecked if the door was locked. Safety first.

 

„My name is Winja, nice to meet you.“, I said eventually, tearing him out of his stream of thoughts.

 

„Uh, I'm Sunggyu, Kim Sunggyu!“, he replied quickly. We shook hands. I liked that. He seemed educated in European etiquette and the way he acted made me feel like he was taking me seriously. He shook my hand like I was someone.

 

„You aren't Japanese, are you?“, I went on.

 

„No, I am Korean.“, he gave away openly.

 

„I'm from Sweden. My dad is Swedish, my mother is Japanese.“, I replied and we exchanged another smile.

 

„I see...“, he said and became thoughtful again. He was a bit quiet but for some reason it wasn't awkward.
I took a sip of my tea, kept watching him with a slight smile.

 

„I want to know though...“, he began. He swayed the teaspoon in front of him as he spoke.

 

Like a professor with his stick, I thought absurdly, not knowing that I wasn't the first person who made that comparison.

 

„If you don't know me... Why were you sleeping in my car?“, Sunggyu asked and went back to stirring his tea while gazing at me perpetually.

I laughed. Because it was such a weird situation and also because the reason was so unspectacular.

 

„Actually, I went out with some friends tonight to party but you know... Partying never was my favorite thing to do. I try it out again and it again. It just just doesn't do it for me.
I'd rather sit down, drink some tea and have a talk.“, I gave away kindly and Sunggyu nodded like he could identify with that.

 

„So I left to get the last bus at night but I obviously missed it. That's why I got into the car when I watched a person leave it without locking it. I didn't mean to fall asleep. It was just cold on the streets.“, I explained and shrugged.
I saw a frown forming on Sunggyu's forehead, so I added quickly: „I know it was dangerous. I'll just let the girls party on their own next time.“

 

„Getting into a stranger's car in the middle of the night really is not the safest thing to do.“, Sunggyu insisted and since he was right, technically, I didn't tell him that I did not feel scared at all. I knew I should... but I also knew that I was here and I was alright, wasn't I?

I simply nodded.

Thoughtfully, Sunggyu stirred his tea a bit more and I wondered how old he was. When I had seen his face in the car, the confused expression as he had woken me up, the leather jacket over his shoulders, I had thought that he was 23 maybe or 25. But now as we talked he could be 30 as well. And I felt delighted about that. Usually, it was the other way around. I met guys I favored, guys who looked sincere and adult but in the end I perceived most of them as immature. They were the kind of people who just wanted to have fun, drink, party and talk about everything and nothing.
Sunggyu though looked young but turned out to be mature, for now at least.
I was curius about how tonight would turn out.

 

„You remind me of someone.“, Sunggyu said suddenly and looked into my eyes with a melancholic, almost sad smile shaping his lips. It was the kind of smile I had always been looking for – a sincere smile, a smile that held meaning.
I returned it and asked: „I do? Of who?“

 

He got up from the couch and crossed the room. Once he returned, he dropped a photograph onto my lap.
It couldn't be old. It was black an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter