Visiting the Han River

Food cravings led to meeting a puppy and someone else...

A couple more months until she goes back home. May has been visiting South Korea and a few days ago she had helped, hopefully, a puppy in the hands of a stranger named Taekwoon. Although one thing could not shake off her mind… the guy next to Taekwoon. He looked extremely familiar, who is he? It is burned into her brain and it itches with curiosity. Even though she couldn’t see the appearance of Taekwoon he seemed familiar as well, maybe because the smaller boy knew him.

After days of trying to shake it off, May decided to go back into tourist mode and go out to see the Han River.

It was night time and May rented a bike to ride for quicker transportation. Riding up to the city, past the tall, luminous buildings May reached a clearing of a concrete landscapes before the sea in front, it took twenty minutes by bike. May walked over to the fence of the Han River and settled down her bike leaning it against the fence before leaning on it herself to admire the view of the river with the bridge. It was beautiful. The bridge was covered in colourful, bright, harmonious lights of blue, purple, green, yellow, orange and red pouring out from the side of the bridge into the ocean. It was breathtaking.

May admired the scenery. The city light glow from the other side fitting perfectly with the bridge, it was just perfect. The cool breeze felt nice and the smell of the ocean was pleasant, almost reminding her of home. She missed it. Waking up in the morning to the sapphire ocean with the sun ray hitting the water to shine like little crystals, May walking out on her veranda to watch the beautiful beach wake up. The smell was similar, salty and fresh, taking a slow but large of amount of air into her lungs she exhaled with a smile. Then her stomach rumbled.

“What? Are you kidding me?” May looked down at her flat stomach to argue with it, she ate before she came and now her hunger is calling again so quickly?

“Ah really…” May sighed to herself as she and some random couple walking by occupied the area. May looked at the scenery again and took out her phone to take a quick photo before deciding to find some food fast.

“You really have got to settle down” she warned pointing to her stomach, if the couple saw they would probably think she was pregnant, hasn’t been the first time. May treats her stomach as if it were another being, receiving negative reactions from strangers.

“Better get you some food fast” she said lifting up her gaze into the lights behind her. Fixing up her bike she rode off into the street to the chicken restaurant from the other day. It was a really good restaurant. The chicken was tasty and cooked just right for her liking even though she is not a chicken fan but once again the need of food was chicken, not a snack, salad or steak, it was chicken.

“Why has it been chicken?” she questions herself riding into a dark drive way and out quickly. The last time she had a craving like this was the day she encountered the puppy and Taekwoon.

“I really hope she’s okay” May mumbles as she entered the busy traffic, riding past the busy cars at the street light she stops as she made it to the front line. The light goes green and she rides off again. It took about another ten minutes before she found the restaurant. With a bike chain May secures her bike to a sign post and enters the restaurant.

“Annyeonghaseyo!” the waiters and chefs cheered as she entered, May politely smiled and bowed to the workers before one waiter came up to her and offered to take her to a table. May shook her head saying it was just for take-out, she saw an old man do take-out so why not? The waiter smiled softly and led her over to a bench where he took her order. After a decent amount of time, her meal came in a foam box inside a plastic bag. May exited the restaurant and everyone cheered goodbye, it was always so cool when they did that! So she unchained her bike and hopped on to ride off to a new location.

Nearby was a park where a lot of couples were spotted. May didn’t know the name of it but she shrugged it off and sat on a stone bench under a light pole. In front of May was a nicely decorated fountain, water flowing out of the white architecture. It appeared to be the main attraction since it was positioned in the centre of the park and had all the lights focused on it. Pathways surrounded the fountain trapping it in a circle as five long, stretched pathways poke out of the circle and disappear into the trees. There was only one pathway that came from the streets and that was the one May had entered through.

As mentioned before, the park had a lot of visible couples. None were near her, they were just easy to spot in the low light. Talking, hugging, and holding hands, May had started eating her food but slowly came to a stop at the observation. She stared down at the chicken leg she was holding, she bought a whole chicken for only one. This place wasn’t very nice unless you had a significant other. May pouted, she was alone and single no-one ever looked at her twice. May suddenly was not in the mood to eat and put the chicken back into the box.

May tucked the box aside on the bench and sighed at the view “when will that happen for me?” she thought out loud. Watching the couples in the distance, May started to daze out. That was until she heard something familiar.

YAP YAP, it sounded like a puppy.

Snapping out of her thoughts she looked over to her side to spot a white, fluffy pup in the dark distance running towards her “Oh!” She said in surprise as it jumped on her lap.

“Well hello, what are you doing here?” She asked patting its fur, the pup looked up at her that’s when she recognized it “Are – Are you that –” without a doubt it was the puppy from the other day, the only thing that was different was that it had a red collar around its neck, it had an owner!

“Snow! Snow! Snowball!” A voice called out sounding extremely worried.

Under a light pole on the pathway, May saw a man running with a lead in his hand “Is he calling you? Is your name snowball?” She asked looking down at the puppy sitting in her lap. The puppy wagged its tail in response of May saying her name. The man stopped under the light pole looking around for the puppy, he called once again “Snowball!” and saw the white fluff on the lap of a stranger. The man stared for a while before running up to May.

“Snowball, don’t run away again” He sighed in relief reaching up to May, May tilted her head. He sounds familiar. The man’s voice was soft and clear somehow resembling someone she had met once before.

“I’m sorry, she never runs off like that” The man apologised. He wore a thick scarf around his neck covering half his face and a black cap. He wore a long dark coat with pants. It was a bit unusual when the weather was decent enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt. The man bowed before going to retrieve the puppy in her lap but the puppy refused to get in his large hands, cuddling deeper into her lap. The man froze before his eyes met May’s in hesitation “Uh, I just got her. She is still learning” he explained.

“Snowball right?” May asked, both the man and the puppy stared at her. The puppy now named Snowball wagged her tail again “Yeah” the man said, his dark coloured eyes continued to stare and almost daze out into May’s eyes, that’s when it clicked.

“You’re that girl!” He blurted out his eyes widening in surprise as he pulled up his scarf more, May giggled “so it was you” she replied. Snowball wagged her tail erratically shifting her gaze from one person to another.

“So I’m guessing you took her in, your manager accepted?” May asked as the man she recalled the named Taekwoon sat beside her “Y-yes he accepted, he was a bit angry” he responded, May hummed “we’ll at least she has a home now” she said looking down at the puppy curled up in a ball on her lap. May pats Snowball’s head slowly waking her up, “You guys went out for a walk?” She asked to make conversation “Yeah. My friend and I”

“Oh your friend? The one from the other day?” She asked, Taekwoon hesitated and coughed before answering “Oh no, someone else. You remember him?” he asked shyly trying to make eye contact, appearing to be nervous about the topic.

“Yeah, he looks really familiar. Do you happen to know by any chance who he could be?” May asked but Taekwoon quickly stood up “It’s been nice talking to you” he said bowing before walking away.

“Uh” May said dumbfounded. Taekwoon stopped in his tracks before returning “Um” he started. May only looked confused, “Snowball” He simply said.

“Oh! Right…” May responded as she went to hand over the snoozing Snowball.

“Yah Taekwoon!” A male voice called out, May turned to look at who was calling him and another man came running our form where Taekwoon had entered.

“I can’t find Snowball! She’s not around there”, the man said huffing over, reaching Taekwoon and May the man noticed her “Oh lady! Have you seen a small, white little puppy run by here?” He asked but stopped any further questions as he saw May in the middle of handing over Snowball to Taekwoon “Oh you found her, never mind”

“Taekwoon, right?” May asked Taekwoon facing him, both the males were wide eye “You know Taekwoon?” The male asked. The other male was wearing a beanie, a long coat and pants. A thick red scarf around his neck like Taekwoon, May nodded “We met before, I’m sorry I didn’t know your name. Oh you don’t even know mine, I’m May” She introduced extending her hand out but realised it was the wrong gesture and bowed instead.

“Haha sorry I’m visiting from Australia” May apologised a little blush of embarrassment appeared on her cheeks “I’m getting used to your customs” she bowed again in apology Taekwoon waved his hands “Oh no it’s alright” he gulped.

“C’mon Taekwoon, we have to go” The man said grabbing Taekwoon’s wrist to drag him off, “Jaehwan stop, that’s not polite” Taekwoon said before pulling his hand out of the man’s grasp. May discovered the other man’s name, Jaehwan.

“Well I’m hungry so I’m a bit, ugh I’m sorry” He said before bowing to May and turning to leave. Taekwoon glared at the other male and looked at May laughing sheepishly “I’m sorry, he gets like that”

“Um actually” May said as she turned over to pick up the box of chicken, “I thought I was hungry but turns out I’m not really, here” She said extending her arms out to give Taekwoon the box “It’s chicken”

“Food!” Jaehwan ran over snatching the box out of her hand, he flips the lid over and takes a bite out of the other leg before looking at May “I like you” he said grateful. May laughed lightly, that’s good she thought. Taekwoon glared again at Jaehwan and bowed to apologise about his friends once again rudeness as he ‘gets like that’ May laughed and said it was alright.

Patting the puppy, May bid farewell waving at both the two males and the pup as they disappeared into the darkness, “that’s good, Snowball has a name and a place to stay” she smiled.

“I might make one more trip down to the Han River” and so she hoped onto her bike and rode down the streets passing the two on the way there, she called out and waved when she got their attention.

“Isn’t it a bit dangerous that she knows your name?” Jaehwan asked as she disappeared into the city lights.

“We’ll be fine” Taekwoon assured as he petted Snowball.

 

A/N

Sorry it took so long, I haven't been really motivated since I thought no-one was reading them but i guess not xD

Thank you for reading I hope this chapter pleases you. I couldn't think of a place she came from and went bias and chose Australia haha i'm sorry, if you want you can think it as your own place :D
I love little Snowball! This story came to me when it was Leo's birthday and i was looking for a photo of him to tweet about, then came across the one where he is with a white pup xD hehe

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope you all have a great year and for the idols as well, let's hope for a better year!