Why Would You

You Are Love

Firstly, I really got this idea in a sudden. I didn't expect a story plot to suddenly popped out inside my head. And as I said, it's not going to be a long on-going. Probably just my temporary escape from my other ones.

****

People, cars, people.

Another busy day for Jessica.

She rode her bicycle through the crowded streets that day. With her cap and headphones on, she whistled to the song she was listening to during her way to work. After finishing her morning class in college earlier, she headed straight to where she took her part time job, which was a delivery girl.

No, she didn’t work for some kind of a restaurant. She worked for an independent delivery company, who delivered private letters or packages to people. Well, sometimes Jessica questioned herself of why she took that job. Because it was uncommon and none of her friends had the same job, not even close. But then she reminded herself that the company paid her well for a part time worker.

The sun was right above her head when she arrived. The office was always busy. Jessica came in and bowed here and there to the other workers. She headed straight to Mr. Han’s room. He wasn’t the biggest boss but he was the one who kept giving her things to deliver. She knocked twice and opened the door.

“Oh, Jung’s here!”

The middle aged man raised both his arms in joy as Jessica only smiled with her lips pressed to one another tightly. She walked to his desk and put both her hands on it. His desk was so unorganized with the papers here and there. Jessica felt dizzy by just looking at it.

“What’s for today, Sir?” Jessica asked.

“Easy.”

He picked up some letters and small package boxes from the drawer behind him. There were the addresses written on those so Jessica could just read and deliver it with her bicycle. Today wasn’t less many compared to the day before but Jessica didn’t protest. She was used to delivering anyway, it felt the same.

Actually, if Jessica looked back to her earlier days working here, she had become a lot busier. Back then, not a lot of people would trust sending their letters or packages through here. But as the time went by, Jessica realized the sender had increased quite a lot. Maybe it was because the company really respected every client’s privacy.

If the sender didn’t want to be named, then they wouldn’t be named.

Unique, but smart, Jessica thought.

“This much?” Jessica gathered the things for her to deliver, “Earlier I saw Hoon carrying one hell of a bag full of packages.”

“Hoon is new. He needs some practice.”

Jessica nodded, “I see. So, only this much for me today? I can’t go to work tomorrow, Sir. You know, if I should take more today because--”

“That’s okay. Those new kids are very useful. Take your time tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay, Sir. I will. Thank you.”

Jessica put all the letters and packages into her bag and bowed once to her boss. She turned around and grasped the doorknob, only to be stopped again.

“Wait!”

The young girl jerked her head, “Yes, Sir?”

Hurriedly, Mr. Han opened one of his desk’s drawers and took out something from it. He lifted it, which was apparently, a necklace. Jessica blinked. It was a beautiful, silver necklace. It must be really expensive.

“I almost forgot. I was about to give it to Hoon but I think it’s already too much for him in a day. So, here you go, one more to deliver.”

Jessica walked closer and Mr. Han handed her the necklace.

“Only this? No addresses? Sender?”

“Nope, only the necklace. The sender said the receiver would know anyway, you don’t have to do anything aside from delivering.”

“Okay. Where should I go?”

“The harbor. To the dock right beside a Chinese restaurant, to be exact. You have to be there at eleven tonight, sharp.”

“What?” Jessica raised her eyebrows, “What kind of-- I would’ve gone to bed by then!”

“Come on, this isn’t your first time.”

Another strange request from another unknown sender, it seemed. Jessica sighed. Actually it was kind of exciting, blindly delivering things only based on blur information. But sometimes it got too nonsense like, who would deliver a freaking necklace at 11PM sharp?

“Why the dock though, can’t I just give it in the Chinese restaurant instead…” Jessica grumpily mumbled.

Mr. Han heard that, “You should ask the sender. And it was claimed to be something important so keep it well.”

“Yeah, it kind of looks expensive.” Jessica observed it, “What about the receiver? Any physical features? The harbor is full of people, Sir.”

“The sender only said it’s an adult female. She usually stands in the dock alone so it’s going to be easy in searching for her.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, “Standing in a dock at eleven PM, what a life.”

“I know, but just deliver it, okay?”

“I will, I will. I’ll get going now, Sir.”

After she safely put the necklace inside her pocket, she bowed again and picked up her bag, ready to deliver.

-

10:37 PM. Jessica yawned.

Lazily, she stood up from her seat in that secluded bistro. Fortunately, she wasn’t as sleepy as she thought she would. Glancing at the window, Jessica already shivered from the thoughts of how cold it must be. Really, this necklace delivery to the harbor at 11PM should’ve been given to Hoon instead. Or someone else that wasn’t her, at least.

Jessica gathered her belongings and paid for her food. The cashier smiled at her as she saw the delivery girl’s tired face.

“Another late delivery, huh?”

“Yeah, Yoong.” Jessica nodded, “Seriously, I don’t understand such things.”

“But you said it’s exciting.”

“It is, but when it gets weirder then it’s not.”

The cashier named Yoona only nodded at that. Soon Jessica exited the bistro and regretted it because it was really cold. Jessica hugged herself as she walked to her waiting bicycle. The bag was already empty. She had finished her delivery since hours ago and the only one that was left was the necklace. She had to wait for a few hours because if Mr. Han said 11PM sharp, then 11PM it is.

Putting on her cap and headphones, Jessica raised the volume of her music a little bit. The night was quiet and she couldn’t stand the emptiness. Jessica was the type of person who listened to music 24/7. And even though she had her headphones on, she still could hear things around her well.

Jessica then made sure the necklace was still safe with her. She shoved her hand into her pocket and pulled it out slowly. She stared at it again. It indeed looked expensive. As a college student who had to work part time in an independent, unique, but weird delivery company, Jessica wouldn’t want to waste her money for such jewelries.

Shrugging, she put it back inside her pocket. She securely tapped it through the clothing fabric after she had pulled her hand out. With another grumpy sigh, she soon rode her bicycle away from the bistro, to the harbor.

It wasn’t too far. And usually the harbor’s securities were fast asleep in the night so Jessica wouldn’t have to pay the parking tickets. It was only a bicycle anyway, why would she pay? As soon as she got into the harbor, she scrolled through the almost empty streets and docks to find a Chinese restaurant.

The harbor had some restaurants in it, but those were expensive because of the fee. Jessica rarely went here actually, so she didn’t know where the Chinese restaurant was. She paddled slowly, head turning left and right.

Finally, she found it.

The Chinese restaurant looked very warm with only few customers inside. Jessica exhaled a breath and stopped her bicycle. She parked it beside the restaurant. She then walked some meters, and there really was a dock not too far from the restaurant.

Jessica stood there hesitantly at first. Yes, there was indeed a woman standing on it, alone. The dock wasn’t too wide, and it was dark, with only one tall lamp hovering above it. There were also some harbor’s men busy working on a small boat near the dock, but they seemed weren’t bothered by the woman’s presence.

It seemed like the woman was the one whom the sender meant. Had she been waiting for long? Jessica kind of felt guilty making her wait, if she really had waited for the delivery. But on the other side, she felt relieved too because it wasn’t her who had to wait.

Jessica pulled down her headphones to circle around her neck as she walked to the dock. Because of the quiet night, her steps on the wooden dock could be heard clearly. It made the woman jerked her head and met Jessica’s gaze.

Beneath the dim light, somehow Jessica could tell that the woman was pretty.

She bowed slightly before made her way to the woman. As she got closer, she realized the woman looked like a career woman. She was obviously older than the delivery girl. And her eyes were swollen. Jessica gulped slightly. This woman had been crying.

None of them let out a word after Jessica stopped walking. As what Mr. Han said, all Jessica needed to do was delivering. So she shoved her hand inside her pocket, and took the silver necklace. The woman looked so out of words when Jessica extended her hand and let the heart-shaped silver metal hanging on the necklace swinging slightly.

When the woman tried to grab the necklace, Jessica realized the former was trembling. Badly. She didn’t say anything, not even a voice she let out. It was only a silence, but Jessica could see how fragile the woman looked as soon as the necklace was in her hands.

Okay, she did her job. This was the correct person. Jessica tried not to be bothered by how the woman acted and just bowed once before she turned around. Her common sense told her to say something, at least one or two words, or even ask the woman if she was okay, but she shook the thoughts away. It wasn’t her business. She was only told to deliver.

Right. Jessica assured herself. She could just go home and sleep.

Jessica put on her headphones again and started walking away. When she was about to raise the volume even more, she heard something like the voice of water harshly splashing as if something was thrown to it followed by some surprised screams that she was sure, came from the harbor’s men.

She stopped walking and turned around. The woman was gone.

Jessica’s eyes widened.

****

This song helps me a lot in writing this. See you in the next chaps!!