.10.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary - hiatus

“Are you out of your ing mind?” the investigator demands, giving Baekhyun the most incredulous look yet. “You want me to do what?”

Baekhyun takes a deep breath. “I want you to exhume the body of Taeyeon Kim.”

“Oh, so you are out of your ing mind,” the investigator, whose nameplate reads Jiyong Kwon, says. “Get the hell out of my office. Crazy .”

“Look, just hear me out,” Baekhyun begs. “It’s for a good cause.”

Jiyong gives Baekhyun a flat look. “You want me to dig up the grave of a woman who died almost a hundred and fifty years ago because it’s for a good cause?”

“Look,” Baekhyun tries. “This woman was murdered.”

“I know the story,” Jiyong interrupts. “She wasn’t murdered. She died during childbirth. I did my research, you know, after you submitted your request.”

“Only that’s the thing, she didn’t really die during premature childbirth, Mr. Kwon,” Baekhyun rushes on. “She wasn’t even pregnant. Her husband murdered her.”

“Maybe he did,” Jiyong admits. “I still don’t see how this is a good cause. The guy is long dead, Mr. Byun. Naming him as her killer won’t do any good to anybody.”

Baekhyun changes tact immediately. “Just think of the prestige and glory you’ll get when you solve a one hundred and fifty year old murder,” he says. “Something other agents haven’t been able to do!”

“Haven’t wanted to do,” Jiyong corrects, though the corner of his mouth is twitching in a semblance of a smile. “Because there’s no point in solving this murder – if it even is a murder.”

“What about justice, Mr. Kwon?” Baekhyun exclaims. “A young woman was brutally murdered and her story untold. Where’s the justice in that?”

Jiyong lights a cigarette and smirks. “You’re awfully righteous, Mr. Byun.”

“I’ve been told that on occasion,” he admits. “So, are you going to help me, Mr. Kwon?”

The investigator blows smoke through his pursed lips thoughtfully. “So what happens if I dig this dead girl up and find out that she really did die because of premature childbirth? What then?”

“Then I owe you a really big apology?” Baekhyun suggests. “Anyway, you’ll find out that she’s been murdered. I promise.”

Jiyong’s eyebrows pull together. “Why are you so convinced of this? That she was murdered?”

Baekhyun hesitates. “I just don’t think the facts add up. There was never even an investigation, you know.”

Jiyong gives him a level expression. “Look, you can’t bull a bullter. Either be straight with me or get the out.”

Baekhyun groans. “Okay. You want to know the truth? My boyfriend and I bought the hotel where she died and her ghost is haunting it and we’re trying to get on her good side by solving her murder. Okay?”

Jiyong gives him a long look, then stubs the of his cigarette out in the overflowing ashtray. “Okay,” he simply says.

“Okay?” Baekhyun repeats uncertainly.

“Okay,” Jiyong repeats. “But I’m not making any promises that I can even get the license.”

Baekhyun sighs in relief. “Thanks, Mr. Kwon. I really appreciate it.”

Chanyeol is less than amused when Baekhyun returns to the hotel with Jiyong in tow. “And just who’s this?”

“This is Mr. Kwon,” Baekhyun introduces.

“You can call me Jiyong,” Jiyong says, shaking Chanyeol’s hand with a sly little grin on his face.

“He’s the investigator who’s agreed to help us examine Taeyeon’s case,” Baekhyun is quick to explain. “He’s going to apply for a license to have her body exhumed.”

“It’s going to be difficult to see much of anything on a one hundred and fifty year old corpse,” Jiyong says, accepting the glass of brandy Baekhyun politely passes to him. “With no flesh to work with, it’s going to be difficult to determine any cause of death.”

“Hey, don’t you watch those forensic TV shows?” Baekhyun jokes. “They can figure out everything these days.”

Jiyong smiles shortly. “I certainly hope so.”

Baekhyun feels a tug on his shirt and he looks down to find Sehun standing beside him, big eyes trained on Jiyong. “Who’s he?” he demands.

“Sehun, this is Mr. Kwon,” Baekhyun explains gently. “He’s helping me and Chanyeol out. He’s a nice guy. Mr. Kwon, this is Sehun.”

Jiyong looks at Sehun thoughtfully, sipping his brandy. “Dead or alive?”

“Dead,” Sehun answers immediately.

Jiyong continues to sip at his drink. “How’d you die?”

“Fell down the stairs,” Sehun says. “Lame, I know. What are you helping Mr. Baekhyun with?”

“Solving a murder,” Jiyong replies.

Sehun’s face lights up eagerly. “Ooh, whose murder?”

“Are there many people here who got murdered?” Jiyong counters with another question.

Sehun nods. “Yeah, loads. There’s Mrs. Kim. Her husband killed her, but he never got caught for it. There’s Luhan. He got shot, but everyone says it was a suicide. Jongin got pushed out of a window. Yuri and Kyungsoo were both sliced up by the Doc – a real nasty guy, I’m glad I never met him. Junmyeon’s mama killed him. Threw him off the roof of the building, so he says. So yeah. A lot of people got murdered. I guess I’m glad I died because of an accident.”

“Hm,” Jiyong says thoughtfully, holding his empty glass out to Baekhyun for a refill. “Guess I’ve got my work cut out for me here.”

“You seem awfully laid back about all this,” Baekhyun says curiously once Sehun has left them and they settle down in the library, a fire roaring in the hearth. “I mean, we just introduced you to a ghost and you didn’t so much as bat an eyelash.”

Jiyong shrugs, sipping at his second glass of brandy. “I’ve been able to see them since I was a kid,” he admits. “My mother is a clairvoyant, so I guess I inherited some of her ability.”

“That’s why you agreed to help me after I told you about Taeyeon’s ghost,” Baekhyun surmises.

Jiyong nods. “So the first thing we need to do is get permission from any living relatives that she might have.”

“She didn’t have any children, so she’s got no descendants,” Baekhyun explains, holding Chanyeol’s hand as they sit side-by-side on the worn sofa. “That’s what the news articles say, at least.”

“Then maybe a great niece or nephew or something,” Jiyong says indifferently. “It looks good to the judge when the family gives their consent. Which brings me to the second thing we need to do. Apply for a license, which is where the judge comes in. He decides whether we’re allowed to exhume the body or not.”

Baekhyun glances at Chanyeol uncertainly. “Do they, you know, usually give permission for things like that?”

“Depends,” Jiyong answers, finishing off his drink.

“On what?” Chanyeol demands when Jiyong doesn’t elaborate.

The investigator smirks and sets down his empty glass. “On how good I am. But don’t worry. I’m the best.”

So they say goodbye to Jiyong, with Baekhyun promising to see if he can locate any blood relatives of Taeyeon to get their permission to exhume her body, and then he and Chanyeol head up to bed.

“I don’t like him,” Chanyeol mutters, pulling off his clothes and hopping into the shower.

Baekhyun perches on the sink, finishing off his own glass of brandy. “Why not? He’s good at what he does. And he agreed to help us even though we’re doing this for ghosts.”

“I dunno,” Chanyeol grumbles. “He’s too…good-looking.”

Baekhyun laughs loudly at that. “Look who’s jealous now.”

“I’m not jealous,” the younger replies defensively, but the tone in his voice says otherwise.

Baekhyun quickly pulls his own clothes off and steps into the shower with his boyfriend. “Don’t be ridiculous,” he says. “I only have a thing for clumsy giants with too big ears.”

“My ears aren’t that big,” Chanyeol complains, but then Baekhyun is kissing him and whatever else he might’ve said is forgotten. 


So I absolutely love investigator GD, just saying

Also, more hints - more like I told you - about the ghosts in the hotel >.<