Three

Selfish Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo woke up the next morning feeling better than he had felt the night before. He finally had enough energy to open his eyes today. His eyes roamed around the room before it fell on the figure sleeping on his bedside. Her face was contorted with sadness and she was mumbling incoherent words. Kyungsoo scooted closer to her to try to understand what she was saying.

When he was finally able to comprehend what she was saying, Kyungsoo forgot how to breathe for a second.

"Oppa, don't go! I love you.."  His heart broke at how desperate and sad she sounded.

"Soojung-ah, what have I done to you? I was angry at you because of my love for Jinri when in truth, you're doing this out of your love for me. I was being a hypocrite and I didn't even know it. I've hurt you so many times. Why do you still love me?" He asked in a whisper, not expecting any response from the slumbering girl beside him.

"Oppa.. don't go." She whimpered. Kyungsoo raised a shaky hand to wipe away her tears.

"Shh, Soojung-ah. Don't cry. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere." He whispered to comfort her. Kyungsoo sighed in relief as Soojung's expression was finally calm and she stopped crying. The ill young man found himself smiling when his wife snuggled closer as he caress her head.

However, the relief he felt was short-lived as he remembered her confession last night..

'What am I going to do? Even though I know that Soojung loves me, it doesn't change the fact that I dont love her like she loves me. She's always been my best friend. I've never thought of her in a romantic way before and I still have feelings for Jinri.' Kyungsoo sighed. How did everything became so complicated?

'Are you sure what you feel for Jinri is love?' He didn't have the opportunity to ponder on the thought as he felt Soojung began to stir awake. He closed his eyes quickly, opting to hide his consciousness from her for now. It was cowardly, he knew, but he could not bring himself to face her at the moment. He felt the slight tremble of the hospital bed as she stretched out the kinks in her neck from the terrible sleeping position she was in. 

He felt her dainty hand glide across his face, her gentle fingers caressing his cheek with so much care, as if she was afraid that he would break at any moment now. "Good morning, Oppa", she said, and Kyungsoo did not know how could those simple words convey so much of what she felt for him. Worry, care, hope, and love.

He bit back a gasp as her warm lips covered his own in a soft peck. "I know you would be so angry at me if you know that I kissed you,-" Soojung chuckled softly. This was the first time he heard her laugh after their marriage and he realized that he missed that melodic sound so much, as an image of a young Soojung having a giggle fit at one of his stupid jokes replayed itself in his mind. "but this might - no, is - one of the last moments I get to be with you, so please forgive me if you ever find out somehow."  His heart sank. 

He heard her phone rang and felt her move away from his side to fetch the device. "Hello? Yes, this is Soojung. Oh, you're here. You can come up to see him right now if you want. He is in room 305. Yes, on the third level. Alright, see you soon." She hung up. Soojung came to his bedside again, her hands immediately grasped his. "I have a surprise for you. I promise that you will love it. So please, wake up soon." She rubbed gentle circles on the back of his hand with her trembling ones. She reluctantly let go when a couple of knocks on the door was heard.

"Come in." She called out to the person on the other side of the door. He heard the door open and a pair of high-heels clad feet walked in. "Hello, Soojung-sshi." A familiar voice greeted his wife.

Jinri. 

"Hello, Jinri-sshi." Soojung greeted back, albeit there was an unmistakable sadness in her voice. "How is he?" He heard his ex-girlfriend ask as she made her way to stand at the other side of his bed.

"He's still unconscious, but the doctor said that he's doing better now and it's only a matter of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter