Chapter 1- Why Did I Fall In Love With You?

Wedding Dress/Doue?

 

She was beautiful.

That he had always known

The various definitions for beauty would all fall into place around her.

As they always did.

What made her so beautiful?, one could inquire. What was so special about this one human being that was so magnificent?

He didn’t know.

Or rather, he knew, but wouldn’t dare say it. Wouldn’t say it because he felt that trying to put her beauty into words was sinful. Why?

Because her beauty was ineffable.

He couldn’t tell you how wondrous her skin looked under the afternoon sun’s glare.

He couldn’t describe to you how sweet her voice sounded when she called out “Oppa!” to him. He couldn’t tell you how much his heart erupted when she gracefully skipped towards him.

He couldn’t describe how sweet her hair smelled when it tangled across his face when she embraced him. Like peaches and cream. Peaches and cream.

He couldn’t dare to try and tell you how beautiful her eyes were, or how shimmering and dazzling they were up close.

And he couldn’t tell you how it felt to hear her speak of the man she loved.

“Hyunnie, are you sure you’re ready for this?” he asked as they sat, side by side on a bench overlooking a green hill and a crest of the horizon.

Side by side. Like they always were. Always ‘would be’.

“Ne, Yonghwa oppa. I know that Siwon oppa is the one for me.”

Silence. The phase in which everything stopped. Thoughts are settled, words are said without being uttered. When one’s mind can be at ease.

 Wrong.

No one could explain the agony that tore through his chest, the pain that blurred his eyes and erupted in his head.

How he wished he could have interjected. Rejected. Neglected. That entire sentence.

No one would understand. No one would ever understand what he had gone through for her. Sacrificed for her.

But in all of that, he was refunded. In the midst of a long-lasting friendship, something had bloomed. He couldn’t define what it was at the time.

Respect, admiration, infatuation, protectiveness, trust.

Somewhere in the middle of all of these years, she took something. Something larger than any of those before. Something she would never know she harbored.

Unless….

There she was. No more than 6 inches away from him.

One joint movement away from touching her porcelain skin.

From the tiger lily that as fixated in her luxuriously done brown tresses.

From fondling the folds of her expensive, white dress.

One movement away from just pulling her towards him and to just let himself overflow. One movement was all it could have taken.

“I know you’ll be happy with him. You two are made for each other.”

Just like that, in the span of a few seconds, half of his heart was gone.

She turned to him. She smiled. She smiled the smile he had always recalled in the 24 years he’s grown up with her; from dawn till dusk. A smile etched in early maturity, a smile filled with mature innocence, a smile filled with longing.

He smiled back. A smile filled with as much longing as he could muster.

She longed for him to be happy for her.

He longed for her.

He shook off all spontaneous thoughts from his mind. He rose and stuck out his hand. She took it. She rose as well. He let his hand linger.

Feeling her smooth, strong, slim fingers.

The fingers that gained strength through piano playing.

His piano.

This would be the last time.

“You should go inside now. They might want to fix you up.”

“Are you saying I don’t look pretty, oppa?” She pouted.

He smiled. Just smiled.

She would always know his weakness. She knew him better than his own mother. She always would.

In 15 years, she still would.

He hoped.

“You look perfect, Juhyun-ah.”

He held her hand gently and led her across the road into the aging chapel, where she was immediately abducted by a crowd of bridesmaids.

She shot an apologetic look over his shoulder, before being ushered into a locked beige room.

He coughed. He straightened his tie. He glanced around the noisy chapel.

Were the lights mocking him?

Were the laughter and smiles of surrounding guests meant to torture him?

Why?

Why must paths cross?

Paths cross, choices weigh, choices are made.

Money over happiness.

Sleep over clubbing.

Work over play.

Her happiness over his selfish love.

These supposedly carefree paths cross to form an ugly intersection.

His paths were laid out before him. And he would chose the one less travelled by.

Only time could tell if that made all the difference.

He made his way past the well carved benches, the carpet strewn aisle, the elegantly dressed guests, towards his sole confidant; the grand piano.

The piano was situated next to where the union of two humans in love would take place.

And where the remainders of his heart would shatter to pieces.

He scanned his music scores. He scanned them once.

He scanned them twice.

He scanned them repeatedly, keeping his mind far away from the aching, hollow feeling that he felt in his chest.

He reviewed; notes becoming a mere blur of circles and lines.

The chatter stopped.

Almost all of the breathing in the room stopped.

He looked up.

He saw her.

In his 24 years of life, Jung Yonghwa was never a fan of angels.

But as he sat in that chapel, that very day, he knew one had escaped the heavens and was walking down that aisle. He began to play.

Her steps were slow, certain but calm.

She shimmered, she glowed, she radiated.

She was as every bit as beautiful now, as she was when he had spilled apple juice on her blouse in the 2nd grade.

She was always Seohyun.

His Seohyun.

Or, more accurate, his Seohyun, Yonghwa thought, glancing at the proud groom who looked awed and amazed at his soon to be wife.

She looked back at her groom; love, lights, everything shimmering in her eyes.

That was when he felt his cheek grow moist.

A hot tear escaped his right eye, trailing a path down his jawbone onto a single piano key.

He kept playing.

She reached the altar.

He stopped.

All was quiet.

The aging pastor began to speak, but Yonghwa heard nothing.

Her simply stared at her.

Her beauty so radiant.

Her eyes so loving.

She was magnificent.

And she isn’t mine.

He stared at her for God knows how long, until a familiar phrase penetrated his brain.

“….you may now kiss the bride.”

Time slowed.

Siwon faded.

The pastor faded.

The chapel faded.

It was only her.

His eyes were solely given to her.

He could see their past flash before their eyes.

The apple juice incident, the sweet potato eat off, the bullies, the senior prom, the parties, the late night walks, the drives through the country.

Everything.

In that moment it came.

The next moment it left.

Everyone returned.

She had his lips on his, the crowd holding their breath.

 That’s when he felt the tears fall from both of his eyes; falling aimlessly amongst the keys.

He dared not open his mouth, for who knows what uncontrollable sob would escape him.

He let his tears silently fall as they kissed, his heart shattering, his throat searing, the crowd cheering.

He hastily wiped his tears with his tuxedo sleeve.

He couldn’t ruin her special day.

She pulled back, teeth gleaming under the church lights as she smiled.

She then changed her gaze to Yonghwa, who gave a sweet a smile as he could manage.

She’s gone.

They linked themselves arm in arm and then faced him.

He could then feel the entire congregation’s eyes on him.

Siwon, the pastor, Seohyun’s parents, everyone.

But it still only felt like her.

He knew what this was.

This was his cue.

His cue to tell her to be happy, to forget about him, to enjoy her life with Siwon to the fullest.

His cue to himself that this was done for. He had to let go, let her be happy.

Through their piano.

The newlywed couple took their first step, and he began to play.

He played, not the song from the music scores, but a song from his heart.

A song he needed for this moment.

A lovely ,calm melody.

That screamed bliss, but reeked of heartache.

Once he was sure Seohyun was halfway down the aisle and not facing him, he let his tears fall.

The lyrics ran through his head as he played as firmly as he could and as the keys grew more and more moist.

Why did I end up falling for you?
No matter how much time has passed,
I thought that you would always be here
But you have chosen a different road

He heard the cheers as the couple made their way outside to where dozens of people had probably packed themselves like animals.

He heard a few ‘Congratulations.’

Some ‘You two look great together.’

And a ‘I wish you two the best.’

This was it.

This was his choice.

The last of the congregation exited the chapel, trailing behind the newlyweds.

He let out a few shaky breaths as his tear glands emptied out his sorrow.

But, even though I say that I need you close to me
I just pray that you will be happy forever
No matter how lonely that makes me (or how sad
)

As the last of his notes echoed through the empty chapel, a breeze picked up from the ajar door.

Flowing through the pews and sticking to his tear stained face, was a tiger lily.

He removed it from his face.

He it.

His eyes blurred over once more.

She would always be beautiful.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N HIGH FIVE

I ACTUALLY WROTE A FIC WITH A STRAIGHT PAIRING

SCORE!

Lolyeah, I usually write yuri fanfics.

But I wanted to write one of these sad, lost love story types.

I got this inspiration from Taeyang’s “Wedding Dress” but mostly TVXQ’s “Doue Kimi wo Suki Natte Shimantandarou?/Why Did I Fall In Love With You?”

“Doue” was the song Yonghwa was playing to

Bada Binghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4A468sNTU

So comment pleaaaaasseeeee~

I wanna know how I did

Plus, if you comment, I’ll love you forever so it’s a win-win situation (Sorry if you find that creepy.)

I apologize if it’s y

Because I have no ing idea how weddings work lmfao