Twelfth Fall

Of Shattered Dreams and Broken Wings

Chapter 12

 

Chen woke up with a start. The room was dim lighted, only a single torch lighting the whole place. Judging by the rough cement beneath his body, he’s probably thrown into the dungeons. He lost his consciousness even before Yixing could get him; his body succumbed to the exhaustion and overuse of his badge. Nonetheless, Juniel was saved and most likely the intel was already been handed to Heechul hyung.

Gathering his bearings and sitting up from a slumping position, he noticed a single soldier guarding his prison cell.

“You’re awake.”

It was Yifan’s voice. Of course, what would he expect?

“Where am I?”

Instead of answering, the said knight came closer to his cell until his face was illuminated enough by the light. His face was blank but there was a trace of slight anger in his orbs. He and Yifan never really had something you could call comradeship even back then in Akasha. He was few of those who weren’t in favour of his relationship with Yixing. He can’t blame the older, he may or may not have feelings for the healer and Chen didn’t saw a need to please the dragon tamer as well. So they stay out of each other’s business as much as possible.

But Xiumin is somehow open to him. Why? Xiumin, in fact, knew of Yifan’s departure for Capitol, for the reason he doesn’t know.

“Dungeons.” Was his stern reply.

Dungeons indeed. Leaning back to the uneven wall, Chen returned Yifan’s stare.

“What?”

Yifan seemed to hesitate for a while. “Is Xiumin part of Masquerade as well?”

This had him raise his brow. “Oh~You didn’t know?”

“Answer the question, Chen.”

No one really knew in Akasha that he and Xiumin knew each other. He and Baekhyun were the last one who joined the division. Xiumin and he were both slaves sold to the camp but because of the former’s ability he was given a special parole first. He, on the other hand got it three years later.

“Yes.”

A brief flash of anger was shown on Yifan stoic expression and Chen finally understands.

“So this is what all is about.”

Yifan suddenly grasped the cell bars. “You betrayed him.” he hissed.

“What? And so did you.”

“My situation is different from what you and Xiumin did!”

“In what way, huh, Yifan. Because you are with Capitol and we’re with Masquerade? You’re the one who hurt him first!”

This has Yifan’s eyes widening as if he had just realized all the consequences of his departure. Chen was never insecure when it comes to Yixing, never, except if it involves Yifan. He doesn’t know what has transpired between Yixing and Yifan before he came into the picture. The two of them together with Luhan and Zitao were sons of few respected Liutenants of Akasha and been together since they were children. But there is always this unexplained tension between the healer and dragon tamer and that is one of the biggest reasons why Chen was never warm with him.

“Yet you chose to leave him as well. And you know he loves you even up till now when you don’t even deserve him. You and Xiumin only used the division for your own good. And I can’t believe Luhan is even trying to save that bastard.”

Something snaps in him.

“You don’t know anything about me! And you don’t know anything about Xiumin! You have no right to say that about him”

“So this is actually all about Xiumin, huh? Just what is Yixing to you? Did you even care for him, huh, Chen.”

He was taken aback by the sudden question. Xiumin had actually asked him this as well.

-Do you really care for that healer, Jongdae?

-What now? Why this sudden question?

-Why? Because if you care for him then why are you coming with me to Masquerade.

Yixing is important to him. He is one of the people whom he’s not afraid to be seen vulnerable, whom he can be just Jongdae without any inhibitions. That he know for sure. But so is Xiumin. The only person that was with him since the beginning and knew would never leave him. Would never betray him and yes he is a selfish bastard. And what? Everyone else is.

After a few years time, Yixing would just be a memory to him. And honestly, sometimes it felt more assuring that he is with Xiumin than when he is with Yixing. No more heartache, no person to look after, no more distractions. The void in his heart will easily just be forgotten in the course of time. Or so he hopes.

“Answer me, Chen? Do you even love him?” Yifan hissed in between the bars.

-Of course, Minseok hyung. I care for him. I’m with him right now.

-Enough to throw away your past and forget all your fears? Be Jongdae once again?

Be Jongdae once again.

Kim Jongdae.

-Why do I have to be Jongdae once again? I am alright with whom I am right now, hyung.

- Because you can’t fully love him with whom you are right now. Jongdae has something that Chen doesn’t have. Emotions. If you’re going to be just a ‘nuisance-Jongdae’ when you come with me, I’d rather choose you to stay here. Emotions are what make people weak. And I despise the weak the most.

Chen had burst out laughing. This irritates Yifan more.

“You should see your expression right now, Yifan. It’s funny. You know what makes people weak? Emotions. And you know what it’s the last thing I ever wanted.”

“Damn you.. I-

“That’s enough Yifan.”

Both heads turn at the new voice. Chen’s eyes widen slightly at the sight of the healer. He was with three soldiers but his attention was only on Yixing who was staring back at him devoid of any emotion.

Emotions make people weak.

Composing his expression, he gave Yixing a smirk. “Well, wow. Long time no see, Lay-ah.

He saw the change of expression in the latter’s face from surprised, to frustration and finally resolution before composing his self. He held his gaze but after few seconds, the healer looked away. Chen felt proud to know that he has still the same effect on him.

Yifan blocked his view of Yixing by standing in his line of sight. “How did the meeting go?” he asked them.

“He would be facing the same trial as that of their female member but details about it will be discussed at a later time. Knight of One had his hands full on something at this moment.”

Jongdae is not surprised to hear this. He knew he would be executed as well but somehow he’s not afraid. He’s would probably be dead by now if not for Xiumin. Yifan cast him another glance and he smirked at him in return.

“We need to have a rotation for guarding. I’ll start the first four hours.” Yifan declared but Yixing interrupted him.

“No. Let me do it.”

Yifan was obviously surprised.

“Until, you had your feelings sorted out, Lieutenant Zhang, I can’t allow that.”

Chen laughed. “What Yifan, afraid he’s going to set me free?”

“Don’t be so full of yourself. I’m just doing my duties.” It was whispered but Chen heard it nonetheless and he dare say he could almost the smug look on Yifan face.

“I don’t really care.” To prove his point, Chen retreat to the back shadowed part of the room and lean on the wall. He could still hear the whispers of Yifan and Yixing, probably arguing. Moments later, Yifan and three other soldiers left the place. The healer was standing in front of his cell and though he can’t see his face due to the place being dark, Chen knew he was wearing a blank expression. Ironic because swimming in the healers orbs are apprehension and frustration.

“What?” he asked grumpily. He doesn’t have the time to sat there and wait for the other to speak.

“Why do you assume that I have something to talk to you?”

“Then don’t face my cell, idiot.” He saw him clench his fist and Chen wanted to snort for the latter being so obvious.

“What?” He asked again.

“…Why did you do it?”

“You mean why did I leave you?”

“This is not about us anymore.” Yixing hissed. “Why did you betray the group? Why Masquerade Chen, why them?” There was slight venom in his voice. “They kill people, innocent people. I want to understand you but .. why them.”

“Why do you care? You were pretty much contented in the world we are in right now. I’m not hoping you would understand.”

“And killing people is the only solution? Masquerade is cruel, they don’t care about people’s lives, they-

“What do you know about them? What do you know about us?” He snarled. He’s tired of people judging them, of people easily labelling them criminals when they don’t have a single knowledge of what they have to endure.

“You’ve changed so much.” Yixing whispered. Chen tried not to notice the lingering hurt in the latter’s voice. No. Emotions are for weak people.

“I’ve changed, huh? You just don’t know me at all Yixing. And for the last time stop trying because you won’t, not now, not ever.”

Just leave, please. Leave me alone.

There is a silence and all he could hear are the sounds of their breathing. Chen drew his knees to his body and hugged it. The wounds of his past are fastly reopening and he’s not yet prepared. Why does it have to be Yixing first?

“Just.. just answer this. This is the last one and…” there was a deep exhale, “what you said to me before, are all those lies?”

Chen shut his eyes and swallowed. There was begging and desperation in the healer’s voice and he tried so hard not to think about it. He can’t be swayed. He kept repeating the words, ‘emotions are for the weak’ like a mantra in his mind.

“Yes. All of them are lies.”

Leave me now. Go away.

A sob was heard but Chen decided he doesn’t hear it as well as the following footsteps walking away from his prison cell.

 

The moment Yixing opened with trembling hands the door of the dungeons; he immediately collapsed on the ground. Why does he have to be so stubborn? He wanted answer and so he got it. He should be happy that finally the last chapter of his past is finally closed. Sealed. To be forgotten. But he can’t accept it just like that. He wanted to hear a proper explanation plus the fact that Chen refused to let his face be seen, he knew there is something more behind it.

But how much more can he wreck himself? How much more can he accept the pain? It’s no use in denying the fact that he has still feelings for the lightning mage because he still has and it will never change but how much more can he punish himself?

Leaning on the closed door of the dungeons, Yixing drew his knees closer to him and buried his face on it without knowing that down there, in the dungeons, a man has also his knees drawn to himself all curled up.

 

--

South Central

 

"Luhan hyung!"

Luhan was surprised to see that all members of the division are currently at their headquarters. "Where have you been? Are you alright?" Jongin was quick on his feet to greet him at the door.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Why is everyone here?” He gave a quick nod at Beakhyun and Sehun who are sitting on his bed before turning to Junmyeon. “Did something happen?"

"The attack few days ago destroyed few of the quarters on the north and east including the ones Chanyeol hyung and the others were residing. Capitol decided to just put soldiers of the same division together. But Junmyeon hyung would still have to return to the palace." Jongin diligently explained.

"Where were you during the attack?" Baekhyun asked.

"I.." Luhan swallowed.

What would he say? That Capitol offered him a Capitol Knight position in return for lending his telekinesis to them. That he is actually considering the offer because Xiumin is involved in this?

The members would surely oppose to it. No. He won't be like Yifan. Their division already had too much damage and he can't bear to think that he'll be the next to do the same. But how much can they really achieve with kind of pace they have right now? Xiumin won't be forever waiting for him.

"The Capitol had found out about the Svein Manor incident." Luhan had to stop himself from biting his lip for the lie that escaped his lips just now. The thing about Xiumin is his problem and he'll have to solve it by himself.

Junmyeon was quick to respond to this.

"What is this all about? What actually is going on Luhan?"

"Hyung this is not what you think." Zitao interrupted.

"You're also involved in this? And I'm sure Yixing is included as well? Is this why he is the Capitol right now?"

"What?" Luhan is surprised. Why is Yixing in the Capitol as well?

"No. Hyung, please listen to me first." Zitao was already standing ready to defend Luhan. "Remember when we asked you about that suspicious orange badge. It's connected with that." Zitao looked at him helplessly and Luhan has no choice but to reveal anything that they discovered from the very beginning.

It took so much convincing and explanation for Junmyeon to calm down and accept the irresponsible actions of them.

"I can't believe you did all of this behind our backs. Do you even trust us?" Junmyeon asked for the last time.

"You know it's not something like that hyung." Zitao is already begging.

"We just wanted to keep you safe. We don't want you to drag to something that we're not even a hundred percent sure. I’ll take responsibility for this Jongin, Zitao and Yixing has nothing to do with this.”

The water mage gave an exasperated sigh. "Oh Luhan, you know that whatever you guys are doing, we are always behind each your back." Junmyeon has this understanding look on his face and Luhan suddenly has the urge to just spill and tell the members about what Capitol had offered to him. But he held his tongue back.

They won’t understand him. They won’t understand his fixation on saving Xiumin. Jongin is right, it is the upcoming frontal battle in the war that should have been their main focus but.. but.. he just can’t do that. He won’t give up on Xiumin. Because if he gave up who would save them from the darkness of their badge. And even though there is a blaring warning inside his head shouting, ‘They will feel betrayed. You’re going to betray them as well’, he’s already in too deep to return now.

“I’m sorry. It won’t happen again, hyung.” Zitao said. “And thing about Yixing. It’s actually.. Chen was captured by Yifan hyung and Yixing hyung and Yixing was currently requested to be part of the team guarding him.”

“What?” Luhan’s head snapped at Zitao.

All he could process is that Chen was captured and if that’s the case, it could really be possible that Xiumin is already held by the Capitol. And that there is more into what the Capitol is actually offering him. Cut scenes of his conversation with the King flashed in his mind, pushing back the voices of s.

“I would like to propose another offer. If you don’t mind, please sit down and let’s talk about it.”

Luhan reluctantly sit down. He’s a hundred percent sure that this is all about the Svein Manor incident, after all that is what they talked about when he was first called. After the attack, the King refused to let him go until they have their second talk which is what is happening right now. He noticed a small brown folder beside Knight of one and he was surprised to see his name imprinted on the top of it.

They had him already investigated. The king laughed and Luhan realized that he had actually said it out loud.

“No not investigated. That would be wrong considering it would be invasion of privacy but I think the Lieutenant wouldn’t mind a bit since he also did the same.”

Luhan flinched. They already knew about their trespass in the Svein Manor.

“But this meeting is not about that Lieutenant.” The King smiled at him. “If you don’t mind me asking, but why are you so insistent of saving your friend Xiumin?”

Luhan’s head snapped up, eyes wide. “H-how did you exactly know him?” He clenched his fist. “Knight of One said he was once part of Capitol.”

“Ah that. Yes. He was actually sort of a prince. And it’s a common thing to do, know the whereabouts of your enemies, is it? Your friend is a member of Masquerade and is our enemy although he did betray your division. Do you still consider him as your friend?”

Luhan gritted his teeth. “With all due respect, Your Excellency but whether he betrayed us or not, will not change the fact that he is still my friend and I will save him from all of this.”

“Very well said.”

Luhan blinked.

“I like your determination, Lieutenant. Because of that we would like to offer you a seat in the Knights of Rounds. What do you say? You have a very astounding badge that would be a big help to us and in return we will help you save your friend.”

What is this? This is so sudden. And accepting their offer would mean withdrawing from EXO and that is the last thing Luhan would do.

“Why?”.

“Why?”The king echoed. “The right question Lieutenant would be, ‘can you really save him with how you are right now?’ We are just extending our help. If he really is an important person to you, your division would understand if you’d accept our offer.”

Luhan know. He knew that Xiumin is far better and stronger than him that is why he is working hard to fully master his badge. So that when the next time they will meet he can fight him head on and save him.

But at the cost of his division? Junmyeon and the others had already long gone given up on them. And he can’t choose, he just can’t. He doesn’t even want to think about it because deep down inside him he knew he would choose Xiumin.

He wanted. Oh how he wanted. Ever since Xiumin left, Luhan had been wondering how much he really knew the real Xiumin. How much is the lies in all the things that they shared. And how do Xiumin really saw him? He said he’s just a toy to him. A chess piece. But Luhan refused to believe that. He wanted to prove to himself and to Xiumin as well that he isn’t.

This was what on his mind for the whole time and even when Junmyeon left to return to Capitol, Luhan can’t help but feel guilty. Capitol has given him only two days to decide and all he need is someone to tell him what he should do. Someone to put some sense in him and tell him that he will be betraying EXO and it’s wrong and he’s going to hurt them and he can’t do that. Why? Because he is already considering returning to Capitol to accept their offer.

 

--

The silence of the palace hallway was broken by as Knight of Two Kim Himchan rushed past rooms by rooms and into the State Room. The counter attack by the Masquerade was unexpected, Capitol had to admit it. They haven’t expected Masquerade to send reinforcement towards the enemy’s territory and for that Juniel was saved but Knight of Ten Yifan together with his former division members had managed to capture someone.

Someone who is unexpected. Someone who’s identity is very much significant to them.

“Is this confirmed?” the King asked after reading the report that came from Ten.

“Knight of Seven Seunghyun did confirm it, Your Excellency but Junsu was still at the estate, and Lord Minseok had arrived earlier so I had to double check it.”

“He was part of the rescue party of the Masquerade, right? So Minseok had him under his wing all this time.”

“Yes, that is probable, Your Excellency.”

Yoochun glance at the portrait that lined his office. Those were the former kings and queens of the Capitol. Right now, he’s at the top of his game and he will do anything to remain that way.

“Who would have thought that the Prince Kim Jongdae, forty seventh in line was still alive and under Lord Minseok’s care. Both are members of Masquerade as well.”

“I would consider this good news, Your Excellency. Lee Soo Man’s intel, Lord Minseok and Prince Jongdae had been finally found.”

Yoochun smirked. “All traitors are finally showing themselves one by one. All that left is former Knight of Two Kim Heechul and Paladin Lee Hongki to show as well.”

“But they are long gone with no trace. I think it’s safe to assume their dead, Your Excellency.”

“If that is the case, then all is good.” The king side eyed his knight and smiled. “I guess it won’t hurt for our former prince to see how his Lord Minseok would betray him when Junsu finally erase all his memories, no.”

“Indeed, Your Excellency.”

 

--

Noir Forest

West Central

 

 

Alighting from the carriage, after two days of non-stop journey, Xiumin could tell he was already inside the Capitol Central, most specifically in front of an estate probably owned by higher nobility.

"Move."

He was pushed forward and inside the huge courtyard which is strangely empty for something so grandiose. He threw a glare to the soldier. His chains were invisible to eye, a discovery he made on their one night stop at some district, so he probably looked like nobility being escorted while entering his estate.

At the entrance to the estate building, there was a Knight Xiumin recognized as the one he met when he first recovered his consciousness. The said man even bowed at him.

"Welcome back, My Lord." Xiumin can't sense anything in his voice. It was as if he was a knight greeting his lord after being away for a long trip and it made him uncomfortable.

"What are you planning?" he asked.

"Please address me as Knight Junsu, My Lord." The said knight smiled at him and even motioned him to enter the building. "I will be your temporary knight since negotiations with you’re supposed to be knight is still on going."

"And what make you think I would return at your side?" He hissed at him at the same time he was forcefully drag inside the building and into what looked like underground basement.

"You’re talking as if you had a choice, My Lord." Junsu was leading them but he could imagine the smug look on his face. The knight stopped walking and turned to face him. It was only then Xiumin realized that the place he was right now is so achingly familiar. This was the same laboratory in his dreams. Everywhere were the infamous red cells. They were filled with red liquid substance and a person floating in it with numerous wires attached at their bodies.

This was it. Capitol's biggest secret is all laid out in his eyes.

"It seems like you recognized this place. You'd known so much more than what I've expected."

He stared at the knight then smirked. "What would I expect? Capitol doing something as noble as sacrificing a royalty would be the last thing they would do."

"You don't understand anything, My Lord. Them, what you see, we didn't force them to be a sacrificial lambs for Capitol. This is their payment for all the good things Capitol did to them."

"You speak as if you knew the definition of sacrifice."

The haunting face of Dongwoo, his mother, his sister. Their sacrifice must be the one that should be recognized.

"But it's true. You wanted to hear it yourself? Go ahead."

A pale sickly looking woman who was wearing faded clothes with that orange badge as the only distinct color in her approached them.

"My Lord you come back." The women knelled at Junsu's feet. With her condition – hollowed cheeks and bony arms – it won't be long until she dies. Feriel exhaustion. People who can't wield badge has lower feriel reserves than badge holders that made them unable to activate one but it doesn't mean they don't have feriel in them.

"Your kneeling at the wrong person, woman."

She raised her head to gaze at him but was surprised to see anger in her dull black orbs.

"You don't know anything. My Lord had saved us from our near death." Xiumin had to raise a brow this. Save them from death only to be lead to another one. "We came from the outskirts of the last wall but he brought us here at Capitol. They gave us food to eat, protected us from people looking down at us. We didn't have to pay taxes. Everything was served at us. This is the only way we can repay Capitol."

Oh.

So that was it. A symbiotic relationship, Capitol had probably fed thousands of beggar and thieves out there but in return, they have to pay with their feriel. He knew that those laboratories outside Capitol and the one he had called home once experiments badge holders and non badge holders alike but he did not know it was for this purpose.

Underneath Capitol is a large scale of living fertilizer.

Junsu motioned a guard to take away the woman. “You probably don’t remember his name anymore but former Head Council Soo Man had invented all of this. Amazing isn’t it? Too bad he’s gone now to witness how his project had evolved into much more.”

“Then I guess I should be thanking you as well.”

The knight raised a brow.

“Thank you for showing me what has killed my best friend and thank you for giving me the opportunity to destroy it.” Gritting his teeth, Xiumin broke free from his bonds, shards of ice falling from his broken wrist. The knight had a surprised look on his face.

“Oh~ did I forgot to tell you that my other arm is already artificial and made of ice? Lost the real one when I was nine years old.”

Recovering from his shock, Junsu burst out in laughter. “That was incredible, My Lord. But didn’t I tell you earlier that you already had no choice?”

Before he can respond, his arm that was made of ice was slowly evaporating and vanishing in front of his very own eyes. No way.

“This lab just like what those little red cells do out any feriel from an activated badge.”

Xiumin immediately deactivates his badge momentarily forgetting the side effect of deactivating a badge abruptly. Pain attacks all part of his body that he can feel. Falling down into his knees, Xiumin cough out blood.

“.” Too focused on his own, he doesn’t notice soldiers holding nullification sticks approaching him. It was only when another wave of pain strike him. He recognize as the one that people from the lab where he came from uses to make a badge holder sleep so that he can be place in another experiment session.

No. He can’t lose consciousness right now. Not now when he’s already this close in achieving his well deserve revenge.

“Put him inside the cell.”


A/N: Tada! I’m back. I haven’t fallen from the face of the Earth! I actually had writer’s block and all I did was read and read Xiuhan fics in hopes than my muse would be back. I manage to update so I guess its back.

And so ChenLay finally reunited and Xiuhan would probably be in the next chapter. I’m already saying it here as a precautionary warning but Luhan’s weakness here would be Xiumin and because of it he might be doing something stupid(?). Just let him be, he’s inlove. Thank you once again for those who subscribed and commented. I would love to hear some more.

P.S. Chocoball is here because they are my gang and I’m a hardcore Pri. Bow Wow!