Nope 1

That's a No! No!

Jinwoo’s frown deepens as he stares at the reflection of his late grandfather’s mansion on the side mirror of his car. He walked out while Atty. Kang Daesung was in the middle of reading and explaining the last will and testament of his grandfather, Yang Hyun Suk – his officious grandfather rather.

 

All his life he had conformed to his wishes. He let his grandfather meddle with all his decisions. From the choice of school he wants to study at, the course he needs to take to the people he’s allowed to make friends with – everything must be approved by Hyun Suk. He just woke up one day and realized he has no control over his own life anymore.

 

Still, he didn’t mind. Though this is not what he wished for himself, he can see the good direction his life is heading to even to the level of his personal life being manipulated. But he never would’ve imagined that even on his grandfather’s death, he still has to follow his orders – if not, he will lose a lot.

 

Well, he doesn’t really care about the imperial wealth his supposed to have, he only cares about Imjado, the place he treasures so much.

 

“I hate you old man,” he mutters as he tries to control his tears from escaping his eyes. He doesn’t really hate him but he has to say it as he feels it’s already too much for him to take. But deep within him, he loves his grandfather. Yes, despite everything.

 

Yang Hyun Suk became his only family since he was 12 yrs old when his father, Jiyong died in a plane crash. They said the only daughter of Hyun Suk, Dara and his dad eloped when his mother’s family refused to accept his father. They hid at Imjado island when his mom got pregnant, they stayed there and built their family, living happily like any regular folks. As a 5 yr old boy, Jinwoo was very playful. They were having a picnic one summer day on a meadow on hilltop somewhere in the island. While Jinwoo’s parents are busy preparing their lunch, he wandered around till he reached an edge of a cliff. His mom, Dara saw him first and rushed to him, Jiyong was surprised and soon followed. Just in time before young Jinwoo stepped out and fall, his mom grabbed his hand and tossed him to safety, in turn Dara tumbled on the slope down the cliff. Jiyong was a split second late to save her. Father and son both went back to Hyun Suk’s household and Jinwoo was practically raised by the maids in the house. His dad kind of blamed him for his mother’s death and wasn’t really there for him, busying himself with work in order to please his grandfather. Until that dreadful day, when he was left orphaned, literally.

 

Jinwoo grew up living like a prince. Hyung Suk had given him everything – even unwanted luxuries. This old man didn’t fail to care for him too, that’s why his love and respect for him can’t equate to anything. With that being said, as gratitude he listens and obeys everything he was asked to.

 

Years passed and he graduated with a degree in business and management, a degree his grandfather picked for him. Just a month after he graduated, he was already offered a job to manage a hotel in Japan. But Jinwoo didn’t accept the offer; he wanted to practice his management skills in Korea and he doesn’t want to leave his grandfather behind as well.

 

He was confident to get a good job on his own that would be approved by the old man.  He went to all well-known business establishments in the country. He wants to prove to himself that he can do things and be successful by his own strength and skills, not because he is the grandson of one of Korea’s business tycoon. Even when they have their own chain of businesses, Jinwoo didn’t choose to go to any of those.

 

But all Jinwoo got was rejection after another. All companies where he tried to land a job on either say they already hired someone or he was over qualified for the job. He already suspected that his grandfather was behind of all these again, and he wasn’t wrong. Even big businesses in Korea would think twice to challenge the influence his grandfather’s name alone brings.

 

Jinwoo was enraged and tried to talk to his grandfather and made sense with him. All to find out that he wanted him to take over their company and business when the time comes. Jinwoo never wanted to be a business magnate. He only wanted a simple contented life. He doesn’t want to bore headaches and pressures in handling a business, not to mention a mega company.

 

But of course Yang Hyun Suk still has the last say. The following months came like a flash. The next thing he knows he was a master of Hotel and Restaurant Management and is getting a crash course about their own business empire – real estate and food investment, by no other than Yang Hyun Suk himself.

 

The ‘YG Diner’, a well-known chain of restaurant in Korea with franchises abroad. The ‘YG Manors’, the leading enterprise in hotel and condominium properties in the country.

 

After a year of Jinwoo’s so called training, Yang Hyun Suk probably thought that he was ready to take over and did his ‘silent exit’ that he always mentions before. According to the old man, when the right time comes for him to leave, it will happen in silence. And that is what happened when they found him lifeless in his bedroom. Yang Hyun Suk had a heart attack while sleeping and all Jinwoo could do is hug him tight while he sobs.

 

A few days after their mourning, his grandfather’s trusted lawyer came to finally settle everything according to the old man’s will. From the very beginning, there’s something that tells Jinwoo this wouldn’t end well for him. Half of his grandfather’s wealth including the companies and assets is already given to him legally being the sole heir of his mpther's share. The other half is also given to him aside from a percentage that was given to his grandfather’s favourite charity institutions.

 

“So that was all, hyung?” Jinwoo said to the lawyer that he had always held as part of his family. Atty. Kang had been with them since he was really young and thought of him like an older brother.

 

“Mr Kim Jinwoo,” the attorney called his full name.

“Just Jinwoo, hyung.” He doesn’t like his last name being mentioned.  It made him feel uncomfortable, like he doesn’t belong to this household.

His lawyer friend chuckled at his childishness. “Jinwoo, whether you like it or not that is your legal name, printed on every legal papers and identifications.”

 

“Yeah I know, I just don’t like hearing it. Why didn’t grandfather change my last name to his and allowed for me to use my father’s instead, seriously?”

“Stop your childish blabbering Jinwoo-ssi, that’s not why we’re here. The last will of your grandfather has an attached addendum.”

“Adden—what?!” Jinwoo stood up from his seat with wide eyes as he stares at the man sitting calmly opposite him. His heart started pounding fast. He knew it, and he knows he wouldn’t like what he’ll hear next. “You mean there’s an attached stipulation?” Slowly sitting back as if all his strength had been drained out.

 

“Yes, half of the entire YG wealth is legally yours from your mother's share, that even your grandfather doesn’t have the power to touch. But the other half might not be yours if you won’t fulfil your grandfather’s wish.”

“No!”

“It would do you good if you’ll listen first, Jinwoo.”

Jinwoo can’t do anything as of the moment but to listen. But it was worse than what he expected. He needs to get married to a WOMAN in 2 months or the other half of his inheritance won’t be his. He suspects his grandfather had probably known his identity struggle, does the requisite.

 

“Not Imjado… No,” Jinwoo weakly said. Included with the properties that will be taken from him is Imjado Island. He could afford to lose all his inheritance but not that place. Though it’s where his mom died, that island held the only happy memories he had with his parents. It’s where he spent his childhood, back when his life was still as normal as the kids next door. Hyung Suk bought the entire island as requested by his father in return of them going back to his grandfather’s household. His father, Jiyong wanted to preserve the memories of his mom and that’s what he wants too.

“No, hyung.” Jinwoo is trying hard to lash out his frustration to the wrong person. “Anything, even everything but not Imjado. No charity or foundation nor the government can claim it,” he said firmly. That’s what’s written in the stipulation in case Jinwoo failed to do as his grandfather’s wish. And all the rest will be claimed by different foundations.

 

“It’s either you do that or lose half of your inheritance or – " Atty. Kang trailed.

“Or what, hyung? Is there an added clause in that will?”

“Live through Ralph Waldo Emerson’s book ‘Self-Reliance’, when you passed then you can still have all your inheritance.”

“What the hell? What does it even mean?”

“I’m afraid I can’t tell you that Jinwoo-yah, knowing what it means is part of your study, so I suggest you start reading.”

“I hate him and his damn manipulation!” Yang Hyun Suk knows that Jinwoo won’t let Imjado be taken from him and the old man use it as a ploy to still get Jinwoo do what he wants even with his death. He wanted for Jinwoo to secure an heir, thus an arranged wedding.

 

Jinwoo will be wed to the granddaughter of his grandfather’s bestfriend. The bestfriend that once saved Yang Hyun Suk’s life and brought him to the right path when he was a rebel back when he was young. He’s always caught in a gang fight until one day he was violently attacked and left to die on the gutter even by his gang members. But there was a stranger who helped him, cared for him, influenced him and patiently guide him to where soon he became to be. And since then, Yang Hyung Suk promised to tie their famlies together as one. Since his mom eloped with his dad, it wasn't fulfilled before and now his grandfather wants to make sure that it will be done in his generation.

“Jinwoo-yah” He doesn’t want to hear whatever the lawyer is gonna say next. Jinwoo stormed out of the door towards his car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Jinwoo?” A mixture of surprise and worry was painted on Seunghoon’s face. Jinwoo’s not sure where else to go or to who else to go but his bestfriend. He met Seunghoon during his university years. They were classmates taking the same management course. Whenever he has a hard time, he will always see him. Seunghoon knows everything about Jinwoo. Everything!

Jinwoo told Seunghoon all about the last will of his grandfather. The marriage and the possibility of Imjado being taken away from him.

“He wants me to marry a GIRL. Do you hear me Hoonie? A GIRL!” Jinwoo grabbed a fistful of his hair.

“Uhmm.. your grandfather probably know about it, Jinwoo, so I guessed he does want to make sure you’ll have an heir. Maybe it’s not so bad, who knows, you might find the real man in you.” Seunghoon chuckled.

Jinwoo glared at his bestfriend. “If you’re trying to be funny, well I’m not laughing. Can you be serious? I’m going crazy here.”

“So, what are you planning now?” Seunghoon knows how important Imjado is for Jinwoo.

“That’s why I came to you, Hoonie. You’re the more sensible guy between the two of us. I don’t know what to do. I’m lost.”

“It’s not something you can easily decide about. You can spare a few weeks to think right?”

“I guess so, why?”

“I suggest for you to take a break to relax and clear your mind from all these stress. Go wherever you wanna go. Be Free and do whatever you want. Be the young and vibrant Jinwoo I’ve always admired. Then after this, come back and face the problem head-on. By that time, I’m sure you’ll know what to do.” Seunghoon smiled at his bestfriend assuringly.

Jinwoo sighed deeply and was silent for a few minutes, silently contemplating at the idea. Slowly, a small smile crept on his lips as he beamed at Seunghoon. “You’re amazing. What will I ever do with you, Hoonie?”

“I’m afraid you won’t know the answer to that question, because I’ll be forever with you.”

The two young men stared at each other’s eyes before bursting into laughter.

“Hahahaha! That was so cheesy Hoonie.”

“I know right! Please erase that from your memory.”

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Mino threw his muscular frame on his bed. He closed his eyes tight and pulled a deep sigh before opening his eyes once again and looked straight on the ceiling. There was painted a summer sky and the blue sea. He personally asked a friend to paint this specific scenery on his ceiling. It was a place where he once visited one summer and was instantly captivated by its clear sky and beautiful beach. Whenever he feels tired or stress, he will lay down on his bed and just stare at his ceiling for hours until he’s relax and at peace once again. It became his instant sanctuary.

 

Mino just came back from a highschool reunion where he saw his long-time friends and old school-buddies. Everyone has their own stories to tell but there’s one thing in common that almost everyone shared for sure. Either his friends already have their own family or soon going to have. Everyone is in a good or stable relationship and here he is, poor Mino, the only one who came without a companion.

 

Suddenly, he felt he was unlucky. Everyone seemed happy and contented with their lives or careers while he—just realized despite his successful business, his life was meaningless and boring. And he realized too, he wasn’t even happy.

 

For the nth time tonight, Mino sighed. Almost all his youth was spent on his studies in the U.S. At an early age he became an IT specialist while studying business. Soon he became one of the directors of his family’s own IT corporate firm. And sure enough, at 24 he’s unhappy and bored—he feels worthless.

Alright, he possessed the wealth any man would die for, the charm that made even the goddesses swoon—but what else? He had thought of settling down with his past relationships before, but no matter how much he tried, it just doesn’t work out for him. Well, he knows that all the girls he’s been with practically threw themselves at him, not that he cares, there were actually decent ones. He lost count of all his failed relationships and still can’t point out what is wrong.

 

Mino’s thoughts were cut with the loud ringing of his phone. He grumpily took the offending device and looked at his sister’s name on the caller ID.

“Hello, Oppa!”

“Hey, Dana!” Mino’s sulky state instantly disappeared at the gleeful sound of his sister’s voice. If there’s any girl in the world that would make Mino happy, that would be his precious younger sister.

“Oppa, you didn’t forget our family reunion next month right? I really miss you.”

“Of course, I wouldn’t missed seeing my favourite dongsae. I will come just because I really want to see you.” Mino gave a hearty laugh. He only shows this side of him to his sister.

“Funny, I’m your only dongsae though. By the way, grandfather said he has an important announcement on that day so he’ll be expecting you.”

“Oh okay then. I’ll see you on the reunion.”

“Okay, oppa. Bye!” Mino hanged up the call with furrowed brows.

‘What is with people and reunions, seriously? I wonder what kind of announcement it could possibly be.’ Mino asked to himself.

Mino brushed off the thoughts in his mind slumping back on his bed and spent few more minutes staring on his ceiling before succumbing to sleep.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Jinwoo silently stared on the dark waters from where he was sitting on the ship deck. He’s on his way to Imjado island. He decided to spend his time there since he’s not so sure whether it will still be his by the end of the month or not. Either way, it’s already been a long time since he last visited the place. The last time he went back was when his father was still alive and they visited the place where his mother died, it’s what they used to do every year. Though they already own the island, they let the people stay and continue on with their living. Instead, his grandfather supported a foundation that focus on doing social welfare where they help struggling families to make a living, making the island folks as one of the beneficiaries to start fishing and land cultivation projects in the area which the people are grateful for.

Instead of booking a flight, Jinwoo took the last ferry ride to the island to watch the sunset. It’s something he enjoyed doing whenever they visit when he was young. But now it’s passed midnight and he still couldn’t sleep.

Grandpa, why are you making me suffer?

Jinwoo sighed. He can picture his grandfather’s face looking smugly at him as if challenging him more than he can handle. But despite the fact that he was put in this situation, he still misses his grandfather.

“If being married off to a girl will guarantee your return, my mother and my father, I will gladly give up everything for me not to be left alone again.” Jinwoo said to no one in particular. He looked up the dark sky and closed his eyes as tears began to fall. He pulled his legs up and embraces himself tight. He rested his forehead on his folded knees trying to bury his sobs.

“Excuse me, are you ok?” a deep manly voice interrupted Jinwoo’s solitude. He was so busy being miserable that he didn’t notice someone arrived and sat on the other side of the back-to-back bench he was on.

He wiped off his face with his palm before answering, head still bowed low.

“Y-yes, I’m fine.” He replied without taking a look at the guy’s direction. He thought he would leave him alone as he plans to immediately continue his misery. But it looks like the guy has other plans in mind.

“You’re not,” the stranger insisted. “The truth is, I’d like to watch the sunrise from this side of the ship but I won’t be able to fully enjoy it because of your constant sighing and then now you’re crying. And looks like you’re not gonna be stopping anytime soon.”

Jinwoo just shut his eyes and purse his lips tight, as he’s not in the mood to argue. “I’m sorry, I’ll leave you alone then.” Jinwoo put his legs down and was about to stand.

“Do you need someone to talk to?” He heard the guy said.

Jinwoo stopped and was slightly surprised at the guy’s boldness. Yeah, badly…

And as if the stranger can hear his thoughts, “Give it a shot then. Who knows it might actually help.”

Jinwoo was taken aback, but there was something on his tone that almost sounded like he genuinely cares even if he’s a stranger and that brought unexplainable warmth on him. Though he can’t see his face, he felt like he’s a person than can be trusted.

“Don’t worry I’m not a bad person, I’m not gonna judge you or anything like that. I don’t know you. I’ll just stay here and listen.”

Jinwoo slowly sat back on his original position, pulling his legs up and hugged himself tight. He didn’t utter a word as tears slowly wet his beautiful face once more.

“If you don’t want to say anything, that’s fine too. You can just cry and let it all out. I’ll be here so you won’t feel alone. Dry your tears out before sunrise so we can both enjoy it with a smile.”

Jinwoo can sense that the guy was being sincere, so he tried to do the same. His sobbing became louder but he didn’t care. He wants to see the sunrise with a smile so he cried out all there is to cry without reservations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jinwoo heard voices but he can’t figure out what they were saying. He can hear chattering and even people talking loudly from a distance. He slowly opened his eyes and sat up from the bench slightly disoriented. He must’ve gotten tired of too much crying and fell asleep there. Suddenly he heard a loud yawning from behind and his eyes almost pop out at the realization of what happened last night. He was too embarrassed to face the stranger so he planned to make his exit unnoticed. He stood up and tiptoed away from that place, bowing down from embarrassment. He had only taken three steps when the guy talked.

“Hey, where are you going? We’re supposed to watch the sunrise together and we just woke up on time for it. Look!”

Jinwoo looked up and see the first rays of sunlight breaking through the sky and it was beautiful.

“To see this beauty, it was worth all your tears, isn’t it?” He can sense the guy staring at him.

“Yes it is,” Jinwoo said before turning and meeting the guy’s eyes.

The sun beams to both of the stranger’s faces that are now fully facing each other. As the sun continues to rise, Jinwoo felt like as if his world stopped and everything around him are in blur. He can only hear the loud pounding inside his chest as he finds himself slowly walking towards the direction of the stranger.

“Hi,” He heard him say. He watched as the stranger’s lips slowly curved into a small smile. “Are you going to report me for intruding in your personal space?” he asked still smiling. But still Jinwoo wasn’t able to respond as he continues to openly gawk at the guy’s face.

The guy is now grinning at his display of admiration. This man definitely knew how to use his charms. An announcement came through the speaker that brought Jinwoo back to reality.

“Huh? I didn’t catch what they said.” Jinwoo asked stupidly and dart his eyes around actually looking for a grave to bury his stupid self. Kim Jinwoo, this is not the first time that you saw a good looking guy. Control yourself and be the freaking educated person that you are. He scolded himself.

“They announced that we’ll be arriving at Imjado port in about 30 minutes so you can get all your stuffs ready.” The guy explained amusingly.

“Do you know where the restroom is?” Oh my god Jinwoo of all the things in the world.

He heard the guy chuckled before replying. “Yes.”

“Can you guide me there?” Just shut your ing mouth, Jinwoo. The guy laughed out loud at his cuteness.

“Sure, let’s go.” The stranger walked in towards the direction of the toilet and Jinwoo followed behind.

“We’re here.” The guy announced.

“Thank you, sorry for the trouble.” Jinwoo bowed and walked in. He waited for a few second then he peeks outside the door only to be greeted by the guy staring back at him.

“I’ll wait for you.” The guy said giving him an amused smile. Jinwoo went inside the toilet and quickly did his business not forgetting to scold himself for being too obvious on his quickly developed crush on the guy.

 

---------------------------------------------------- to be continued ------------------------------------------------------------

Tadah! First chapter finish! Sorry if it had too much details and boring >_< and also NO! I'm not a daragon shippeu, but my friends are, and their hearts are broken, so I put an end to daragon in this story so they can move on lmao! (i don't wish it to happen in real life though) I'm so kind at YG here giving him a nice death and all, I shouldve made him suffer more if I knew he's gonna be ting on us again grrr~ but I'm too lazy to edit it, so nevermind haha~

 

Thank you for your support~ I live you all! mwah!

~ i R I S