Chapter 1

The Chosen One

 

He was the year's annual sacrifice and he was aware of that the moment the King had spoken out his order. His heart had stopped beating for a second upon hearing the words and after that he couldn't quite grasp what happened. He only knew that he was shoved into the King's chamber and was left alone to wait for his now new Master's orders. Nothing was said to him anymore.

 

==

 

Tao waited and waited, but everything was quiet. No words were spoken and the tension was growing thicker and thicker. The King had stepped into his chambers a few minutes earlier and Tao had mentally prepared himself for whatever the King was going to say to him. But having waited for a while in silence, Tao wondered when the King was going to finally acknowledge him.

He wasn't sure how long he was going to wait for instructions, orders, anything... he was only sure that he was not going to be having a peaceful night any soon. Biting back a sigh, he couldn't help but let his eyes wander a little bit upwards, even though he was aware it was disrespectful towards the King.

 

Slowly, his eyes took in his surroundings and he was visibly awed at the KIng's quarters. Having lived his whole life in crammed and or shallow places, this was completely a new thing for him. Something magnificent, incredible and amazing at the same time.

The room was spacious and could probably fit two to three families and still there would be enough space left over to move about. The mattras, specially made for the King, was even big enough for almost six to eight people. A bookcase decorated the left corner and a door was seen a little bit further. It was probably connected to either bathing quarters or another resting room.

 

And the King!

 

The King looked quite young and perfectly handsome. Tao swore he had never seen such a handsome person in his whole life. In Tao's mind, the King was the epitome of Perfection. A perfect creature of humankind walking on earth: the King's body was well built; he was tall; his features were of a noble and he looked quite intimidating. 

Tao did not forget to add the other looked magnificent in those royal robes adorned with golden dragons and colorful random patterns. He wondered how it would feel underneath his marred fingers. Of course they were made of the finest material found in the lands and specially designed for the King.

 

 

"What is your name?,"

 

Tao blinked at the sudden quiet question. He had been so absorded in his surroundings he'd temporarily forgotten the King was standing right in front of him.

 

"T-Tao, you-your highness..." he stammered out, ducking his head quickly as he tried to calm his racing heart.

 

"Age?,"

 

"Uhm... eight- eighteen, your highness,"

 

Silence.

 

A second or two passed before the KIng started talking again.

 

"You are well aware that you as the Chosen One are to tend to my needs any time, anywhere as long as I give out the orders?,"

 

"Y-yes... you-your highness," Tao managed to stammer out, keeping his eyes lowered.

 

An eerie silence followed and Tao grew worried that he might have done something unintentionally to anger the King. He bit back a whimper making its way to his throat. He really hoped he wouldn't get any punishments like he did back at the slave house, because any one, be it an Owner, Lord, Marquis and especially the King, could order one for someone like him.

 

==

 

What he didn't know was the King studying him the whole time, trying to unravel the sight in front of him. Something about the poor boy fascinated the King and he wanted to discover what it was. The moment the boy was shoved down harshly on his knees next to the other sacrifices, the King knew that he wanted that boy. His eyes hadn't left the boy any second since the starting of the Choosing Ceremony. Before the Minister, his right hand man, had finished his words, King Wu YiFan barked out his answer leaving the whole castle, maids, butlers, other slaves and spectators gasp in surprise.

YiFan knew he had acted impulsively, but he didn't regret his decision at all. Besides, he was King, he could do whatever he wanted, as long as he was acting within his boundaries.

 

He let his eyes rake over the poorly dressed boy. The boy was all dirty, covered in dried blood, cuts, bruises and had barely something proper to shield him from the cold. What happened to the poor boy anyway? Why was he all beaten up?

YiFan shook his thoughts away; there was no time to wonder about the other boy for now. What was more important was to have the boy all cleaned up and taken care of.

 

==

 

 

An hour later, Tao found himself back in the King's chamber wearing a white satin robe and all cleaned up. His cuts and wounds were already treated and the boy looked much more better without the dirt and dried up blood. The King had specifically ordered the maids to cleanse him thoroughly, not a speck of dirt must be seen on the boy. However, the colorful bruises painted on his skin could not be removed.

After the maids left, Tao suddenly became hyper aware that he was alone again and would have to face the King once again. Being the sacrifice, Tao knew that his life was doomed, his fate was already written down and he had no saying in whatever the King would order to happen to him.

He had heard lots of stories from his fellow mates in the slave house varying from the sacrifice being locked up without food for days as punishment for being tardy to being ed till the death just because the King's needs needed to be satisfied.

Tao really hoped the King would have at least a little bit of mercy on him, but he doubted that would ever happen. He was THE sacrifice of the year, nothing more nothing less.

 

"Tao,"

 

The boy gasped inaudibly, the hairs on the back of his neck stood up straight, his heartbeat started accelerating and he could feel himself starting to sweat. 

 

What was the King going to say? What did the King want this time?

 

"Ye-yes, your highness?," Tao painfully brought out.

 

His throat was dry. Not having had any liquid since that morning, Tao feared he might even lose his voice due to the lack of it.

 

"You will be excused from your duties tonight since you are brought here the first time. However, you are expected to learn your place and duties within this month starting tomorrow. Do not disappoint me," King Wu YiFan ordered.

 

"Ye-yes, your highness...,"

 

Tao could visibly feel his chest tighten. It was nothing new to him, since he had been a slave practically his whole life, but after hearing the King's words, he knew he wasn't going to be well off here at the palace either. Just like the slave house, he was expected to do his duties.

He knew he shouldn't feel anything by now, but hearing it coming from the King of the land where he was born, he suddenly felt something he couldn't describe, but it hurt. Never before had he felt this alien feeling where his chest tightened and he almost felt suffocated.

The boy had been treated very poorly at the slave house and had managed to survive after all those years. One would think that he would already be used to it, but after hearing the King's words, it proved otherwise.

 

 

"Your place should be next to this room, but it hasn't been set up yet. So, for tonight you will be sleeping here until I have the maids clean it up," the King continued, still looking down at his new purchase.

 

==

 

The King was quietly observing the other's reaction. He wasn't surprised at all the other was so submissive, since all slaves were supposed to be submissive to their masters. However he was wondering why the other hadn't tried to do anything yet.

From past experiences, YiFan had seen how the previous sacrifices had tried to escape the palace. Be it running down the corridor when he wasn't around followed by the palace's guards or jumping out of the window when he was slightly distracted, they had at least tried to fight back even though they knew what the consequences were for disobeying.

However, seeing the beautiful and mysterious creature sitting on the back of his heels, while having his head bowed, YiFan hadn't seen the other try anything suspicious yet. Ofcourse he was not going to let a chance appear for the other for it would be too late and the young one would have to suffer the same fate as his previous fellowmates.

 

YiFan got down on one knee and started searching for something underneath the bed. When his fingers brushed along cold, metallic iron, he knew he had found what he wanted and needed.

 

Shackles.

 

Turning to look at the boy, he hesitated slightly. The boy looked so fragile, almost to the point the other would break when putting on the heavy shackles. But the thought of the boy running away whilst he was asleep brought him back to the reality, so he had no choice but to harden his heart.

With three big strides, YiFan already reached the other's side, towing the heavy shackles along before bending down behind the other and securing the shackles on the boy's bruised left ankle.

 

"You will be up before sun rises and wait for my orders. Understood?," 

 

The boy nodded automatically, not expecting the King's sudden reaction.

 

YiFan's heart turned hard and before he knew it, he had a fist full of the poor boy's dark raven hair. He had yanked the other's head back, exposing white and delicate neck. YiFan heard the other cry and whimper in pain and surprise, but he paid no heed.

 

"You answer when you are spoken to. Am I clear?!," YiFan hissed angrily, his lips close to the other's left ear.

"Y-yes... you-your highness... I... I am so-sorry," Tao answered quickly, trying to fight back the pain on his neck. His neck was bend backwards almost to an angle he feared would break any second the King would pull further.

 

After his apology, YiFan let go and caressed the place he had laid his hands on. He couldn't help himself, the other boy's hair was so soft like a feather YiFan wanted to touch again.

He could see the other shiver in fear and heaved a sigh. It wasn't his intention to scare off the other like this the first time, but his slave needed to be taught where his place was, so he had no choice.

Without any more words, the King undressed himself and made himself ready for a good night's rest, completely ignoring his new slave. The King's day has been quite hectic already. He needed his body and mind to rest and charge back to life for the next day.

 

==

 

The King however never saw the tears forming in those sad eyes. The boy had curled up in himself, shivering because of the night's cold, trying to get some sleep. Hopefully he could forget the day's nightmare, even if it was for a few hours.

 

 

--------------------

A/N:

Hello yoreobun! How have all my lovely readers been? I hope all of you are well or at least good, better than I am. :DD

 

Thank you so much for being patient with me whilst I was on semi-hiatus. After a long, long time I finally decided I had to try at least for my readers, to update my fics and end them.

I promise to update regularly, but I can't promise that it would be fast. I have to try and rack my brains so I can come up with something good to write. I am not having a writingcontest or whatsoever, so please be gentle with me :)

 

Anyways, this fic had been playing in my mind for a while already. I know I have only put up the forward and left it at that for a long time, but I finally managed to finish the 1st chapter. I am not sure how many chapters I am going to write, but I am sure that I will write till the end.

Do upvote, comment and let me know what you think of this and please do visit my other stories and give it much love!

Love you guys!

 

rin_ee

 

ps. For anyone who wants to chat or follow me--> twitterlivejournal

ps 2. sorry for any typos or weird sentence constructions. I have proofread everything, but sometimes I do            miss stuff here and there