One

Evening Serenity

A knock came to my class.

It was break time and most of the students were already in the canteen or somewhere else out of the class, unless some students that have errands to do stood in the class. Myself, I didn’t have any important things to do but I did anyway because I had no point to go if I were out—plus, I should sharpen a few Jongin’s sketch so it would make it a bit more real. I had opened my sketchbook about a few hours now, brushed my pencil onto the paper, and smeared a grey color on certain spots.

I shot up anyway; even most of the students didn’t even bother to look up. There he was; leaning his shoulder against the door and pointed at someone on the class. I, on a one second, thought that it was me so I kept remained still and closed the sketchbook so no one could see what was inside. But a person across me, a girl with a fine structure of features, stood up and stomped on her feet to hint any jokingly annoyed. Then, Jongin laughed until his head banged on the door softly. Eventually, the girl shoved him out of the way and both of them disappeared.

I didn’t really mind the girl because I had seen the girl every day, in my homeroom class; the name was Sojung. She basically on the top of the class and people loved her because she easily gave answers and her nice features was also one of the factors why she was kind of popular. But above that, nothing particular in her. Sure she seemed like a perfect human, but I didn’t want to set my mindset on that.

Jongin came here every day to pick up Sojung. I didn’t know what their relationship were, but there was no news about Jongin being taken and vice versa—so I decided to not bother by it. Every time he came, I always examined his features; gleaming eyes, fun smirk on his lips (one of the edge of the lips went upper before the pair came), and then his hair was somewhere disheveled and gorgeous. His tan skin was the loveliest thing I had seen aside from my brother.

After I done reminiscing his features, I started to draw another sketch of him.

That was basically what I usually did; admiring him for afar and sketched his face for the sake of my memory because I knew that would be the only memories I’ve got from him. After all, I wouldn’t even get near them because I just couldn’t. People weren’t exactly a copy to one or another—and I just not them, the people who easily socialized.

That was it; I spent my whole break time to sketched Jongin’s features.

 

“Excuse me?” A voice spoke. I jumped from my seat and looked at Sojung, who was now placing her books next to mine and I still couldn’t progress the things that happened when I busy myself sketching someone who probably will never fond of me. He probably never knew that I was existed, at least so.

“Pardon?” I kept my sketchbook under my palms so she couldn’t see anything. I would be damned for life if she knew that I drew her best friend/boyfriend/crush or whatever. I looked at her in suspicious. She tapped her books that she clutched between her armpits in impatient.

I kept raising my eyebrows, didn’t let her to sit next to me before she could explain why. My bag located on its seat, and I wouldn’t move it onto my chair if she didn’t explain the whole situation.

“You know,” She started to stutter. “The teacher decided to move us to our preferable seat—but I came late because”—She said rapidly in a low tone—“JonginmakesmetokillsomeonefirstbeforeIcometothisdamnedclass… and there is no available seat left unless you.”

She let out an expiration sigh when I decided to move my bag, put it behind my back, and let her seat because I didn’t have much choice. The class really didn’t give her another seat; there was this boy, he ended up pairing alone because he has put his feet on the chair, forbidding anyone to sit there. Plus, our killer teacher, Ms. Lim had arrived and I had no other option than let her sit.

Then, there was a tension between us. I didn’t really bother because I had to put all of my attention to Ms. Lim’s lecture (she held the most important subject in the world and also the worst subject: Mathematics.) and I was so weak on math. Never did I have a perfect score on Math—okay, I have, probably a few but it didn’t matter as to how many I’ve got a lesser score.

I didn’t know what Sojung was looking, but I didn’t really fond about it so I just shrugged it off. Sojung had her book opened but she only tapped her nails on it, maybe she was done with Math because she usually noted some important notes on her binder, okay, maybe she was too lazy to write something on math subject. Because, who did not hate Math?

“Kim Sojung,” She spoke.

It left me stunned for a few seconds because a person just greeted me after one and a half semester—certainly one year. She was the first person to introduce herself out of anything and wanted to switch name with me, even we certainly knew who we were and whose name we were.

“Lee Yura,” I eventually said.

This wasn’t just about switching names, it also meant this word: friendship.

 

 

The day has gradually over and I never was a person to love house like people usually felt. Home was the least thing I would go, if I could do that. But I couldn’t because my parents didn’t want me to leave them alone—especially mom. It had been a tradition to bring up a beer, or colas and talked about my life with my brother. I would stay up there for the whole night and sleep with him if I was too stressing about things.

I walked up on the hill, walking straight, passing the tombstones of deceased people who had fresh flowers on their grave. It made me so pitiful because all I could do was giving him a bottle of cola every day, never had I gave him a flower and I felt grateful about it because I had so much beautiful reason why I should give a cola to him rather than giving him flowers pointlessly. That was just not how we treated people that had interfered our mind.

I sat down in front of one of the tombstone and looked at its writing,

In Memoriam,
Lee Jang Wan
11 February 1986 – 3 December 2012
A Beloved Brother and A Friend that forever lasts in our
mind and heart.

“Hey,” I started as I poured down the cola and divided it into two bottles. One for me and the other one I put it on his grave. “I met a friend today—she is popular and a friend of Jongin, a guy who I crush for about… what? One year now? Anyway, this girl… I don’t know. She looks and acts nice and she is the only girl who wants to be my friend and exchanges name to me. She wants the friendship. I have a friend, now.

But the last time I had a friend; it didn’t turn out so good.”

 

 


 

New year's update! yay!
Haven't beta-reading this chapter too -so, please forgive the mistakes.

 

Oh. And this chapter have something.