Zero

Evening Serenity

A knock came to my class.

The whole students immediately looked up; some woke up from their dreams, and me, I wasn’t even averting my eyes towards the visitor. I kept brushing my pencil onto the paper, drawing shapes and filled them with a gray color from pencil. The teacher stopped her lecture and I could hear that the teacher let the visitor came in. I looked around, only to found that the students were all whispering to each other and some had their eyes this light.

“It’s the time to see the clubs’ demo.” The visitor said. I looked up and found a pretty girl; petite and has this small eyes and lips that made her face looked more stunning than it already was. Her cheeks went into a rose color when she cleared and clasped her hands in excited. “Gather up in five minutes.” Then, she left the room.

The whole class was clapping and cheering because the science lecture had to be stopped. The teacher went screaming and yelling because the students didn’t stop screaming. I could see a hint of annoyed on her face before she told us to slowly and securely went to the backyard. Instead, the students were cheering when they ran pointlessly through the door. After a good few seconds, I left alone in the classroom with the teacher.

I kept fiddling with my sketch and looked up when I felt something stab my head. I found the teacher stared at me in amused as she collected her books from the table. As she done collected her books and put it between her hands, she smiled and beckoned to the door. Oh. She wanted me to go to the demo.

“No thanks,” I gave her a simple smile before I continue scribbling the sketch. I stopped sketching and looked at the result; I didn’t know what I even draw. It was a compilation of circle, rectangular, triangle, and every other shape that you can named it. I looked at it, trying to pinpoint the meaning of its picture but I couldn’t make up a single thing. And when I decided to add something on its paper, I heard someone said.

“Go make friends.”

I looked up, only to found the teacher’s warm gaze. “Excuse me?”

“You enrolled here about three weeks now,” She said, her tone was still. “And when I see you every day, I never see you with any friends.”

“Um,” I nonchalantly hummed, trying my best to make a good excuse. “I haven’t used to the environment yet.”

“Well, most of the students are already do.”

“I’m not like them…” I said, trailing off as I reminded myself that I hate it was the truth.

“Go see the demo, at least one club, and then you could come here if you don’t suit yourself there.” She clutched harder at the book before she left the room.

The words stabbed me right in the heart and it lingered for a long time. If I didn’t suit there…, that was the only thing that came up in my mind. If I didn’t suit there, and probably will never be. I had a hard time to keeping up to this environment. I actually had a hard time with myself, so I couldn’t even guarantee that I could socialize here. The music from the backyard rang through the walls as it bounced together with the rhythm. I felt myself leaning onto the wall, only to listen to its rhythm.

If I didn’t suit,

I would go back.

Then, the cheered rang through the walls and I felt myself thrilling by it. After a long thought, I decided to stand and walked slowly to the backyard. Maybe if I didn’t like the demo, I found something precious to draw. I passed the lone hallway before I could take a stair down and walked into the backyard. As I got to the backyard, I was greeted by a medium sized stage with a huge scale of students under its stage. It felt like a concert, or it probably was to the student. I walked around, trying to find a good spot to watch. Because there was a huge scale of students with a limited size of yard, the yard was mostly taken and I had to excuse myself to get to watch on the left side of its yard.

I kept mumbling excuse me as I bowed down and passed through them. Some of them looked annoyed, and some of them didn’t bother so much because they focused themselves on the performer. When I reached the most comfortable position; where I could only see the tip of them heads, I sighed in tired and cleared my thoughts for no reason. As the music stopped, the students were all cheering when another slow-beat song came up, and when I could see the performer’s tip head, the crowd was getting really crazy and I had to kept myself steady because people were pushing.

And somebody pushed the person in front of me, which I left stunned and backed away in instinct, I caught a boy with a black leather jacket and a gray hat on the stage. I could see him clearly, all of the sudden, when people were pushing, I got to see him—the beautiful person. My breath hitched and I felt suffocated in a good way. My legs felt like giving up but it didn’t even give up, it kept still. The elegant movements he made felt like a slow motion to me; all at once, I could see his curly messy hair that bounced the way the rhythm and his veins popped out when he got into the next routine.

It felt so exhilarating that I almost fell down because I could feel my lungs didn’t work the way it was anymore. There was a feeling just below my throat that kept burning every time I laid my eyes on him.

As he spun and jumped the way he practiced, the rain suddenly came. Korea was summer today, and yet, it was raining. I looked at the blue sky that now smeared us with their water and I switched my gaze on him, who got himself wet when dancing because the rain was getting harsher. His curly brown hair was eventually falling down and tainted his face with its strands.

I glanced up at my watch.

4.55 PM

That was it, an evening serenity—a light simple rain that somehow could make someone’s vision special; the same way as I looked at Jongin, he was just as simple as a drizzle, yet somewhere on him made him more special than he should have. Then, I ended up watching him until he finished his dance before I walked back to the art room to drew him.

 


 

Thanks guys for reading!
I beg your consideration for any mistakes :)