[1/3]

One Year Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day One

 

The first time I saw him...the falling snow twinkled in his eyes like diamond dust. He was staring out the window of the slow moving bus, watching as the ground was slowly blanketed in a thin white sheet of fluff. Every now and then the bus would hit a bump, but the jarring movement never ruined his concentration. 

He sat dressed in black jeans and a white graphic T-shirt that hung off his lithe frame. He looked under dressed for the snow. Did he know what the weather was going to be like? Judging by the shiver that ran through his slender body, I don't think he did. Something outside seemed to catch his attention as his small eyes moved quickly to follow it. I wonder what it was?  I couldn't see beyond the seats on the other side of the bus.

He turned away from the window so suddenly that I was startled. The look on his face just spelled surprise, but I couldn't ask why. A shaky hand reached up to grip his shirt over his heart. I wanted to reach out, but I freeze when his eyes glance up to mine. He knew I was watching him.

He sat frozen for a moment, his body tense. His knuckles gripped the edge of the bus seat until his knuckles turned white. His facial expression didn't change. His face blanched and he turned away from me. That was when the bus stopped. He stood quickly  and got off the bus equally as fast. 

I sighed, taking note of  the stop we were on. Maybe he would come back tomorrow? I rode the now empty bus in silence. Every now and again I saw the bus driver glance back in his mirror, but he never bothered me. He didn't even mention it when I rode the bus route three times around. I was lost in my thoughts.
 

I was dreaming about an angel who had suddenly entered my life.

***

 

Day Four

 

The heavy snow had caused many people to begin riding the bus. It was rather crowded tonight. I gave my seat up to an elderly woman who was carrying too many groceries for her age. It had been three days since I last saw him ride the bus. Maybe it was a fluke that he had been on the same bus as me that evening.  

I was standing in the aisle when he stepped onto the bus, holding onto the handrail next to me. I felt my heart begin to race. We were so close. What should I do? My grip on the handrail tightened. My palms began to sweat. I wondered if he could sense my gaze on the back of his head.

He was more appropriately dressed this time. Jeans and an over-sized jacket combined with a plush scarf. He looked as if he were burrowing into his clothing. It was cute, like a hamster. He had a backpack strapped to one shoulder loosely that swung whenever the bus made a turn. 

At the next stop his phone began to beep. He had a message. He was checking his phone, and I swear I saw his shoulders shake for a moment, when the bus driver decided to pull out onto the road again. The sudden movement caused him to stumble into me. He regained his balance rather quickly and muttered a small apology. 

His voice was perfect. 

I took this moment as my chance. "It's okay. By the way, I'm Woohyun." I gave him one of my best smiles. He smiled back, and that's when he stole my heart. It was one of those smiles that drifted over his entire face, reaching his eyes. When they transformed into small crescents, my heart stopped.

"Sunggyu," he replied back. Sunggyu. Even his name was perfect.  He noticed that he was at his stop and quickly shuffled of the bus, waving goodbye and thanking me again for catching him. I yelled back that it was no problem and waved as the bus doors closed. 

I couldn't help but watch as the wind tousled his caramel hair. He continued to wave even as the bus departed from the bus stop. Enough people had left that I could now plop down in one of the seats. I sighed, a huge grin covering my face. I had talked to him. I knew his name.

My angel's name is Sunggyu.

***

 

Day Ten

 

It's been a while since I've seen Sunggyu ride the bus, but today he's returned. He gives me a small wave as he sits in a seat across the aisle from me. His shoulders hung low, like all his stress was weighing him down, forcing him into the bus seat. I don't know if I should ask him what is bothering him. He seems lost in his own thoughts. His eyes haven't lost their shine though. They're still just as bright as the first day that I saw him.

"Are you okay?" I suddenly blurt out. The question surprises even me. I look around wide eyed, trying to come up with some excuse for my sudden outburst. I'm embarrassed to say the least, but Sunggyu only chuckles as my cheeks turn a light shade of pink.

"I'm fine. Just a little stressed, you know?" I nod, even though I didn't know. I want to know though. I want to know all about Sunggyu. Would he ever let me into his heart? The bus rides along in silence for a few minutes before I'm dying to know more about him.

"You know, I'm a good listener. You can talk to me any time." Sunggyu smiles again, but it's a sad smile. It doesn't sit right on his face. Why is he sad? Was it something I said? I just smile at him and hope that his real smile returns. "Do you want my number? I promise I'm not some creep." I blurt out again. I need to stop doing that.

"Woohyun, you are too cute." He laughs and it makes me stop panicking. That heartfelt laugh of his gave me butterflies. Was there anything  that wasn't perfect about him. We exchange numbers and I couldn't be happier. We arrive at his bus stop and I suddenly wish that he lived further away. These bus rides were always too short.

I arrive at my stop a few miles away. I enter my small apartment and kick my snow covered boots off in the doorway. My apartment is cozy: A bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living room. It isn't very large, but it's plenty of space for one person. I just painted it here recently. The white walls were covered with sky blue paint. It makes my apartment feel more like home.

I shower and by the time I get out I notice that my phone is flashing. I read the message and a smile creeps its way across my face.

 

From: My Angel
Woohyun, did you get home alright? Sleep well!

 

I smile because it seems that I really do have someone watching over me now.

***

 

Day Twenty

 

Sunggyu and I have been texting for the last ten days. I haven't seen him on the bus recently, but all of his text messages definitely make up for that. I learned a lot about him. I know that he's older than me. He lives in the apartments right behind his bus stop. I also know he has a job that requires him to travel a lot. He didn't go into a lot of detail about what exactly he does, but I know that he's off at his job right now.

He also told me about his recent breakup. The guy he was with never treated him right. All the things he told me about his ex just broke my heart. I don't know too much about Sunggyu, but I know that no one deserves to be made fun of by their lover. The man would insult Sunggyu's eyes and cheeks, saying that he might as well date a rodent. I was furious when I heard, but there was nothing I could do now. He was long gone anyway. My phone beeped and it pulled me out of my thoughts.

 

From: My Angel
I'll be back tomorrow. Coffee? 11?

 

I smile. I've been doing that a lot here recently.

 

To : My Angel
Of course! You must miss me a lot, huh?

 

From: My Angel
Ew, too greasy...

 

I laugh at his response and slip my phone back into my pocket. I notice someone new getting on the bus. It's strange that I know everyone who gets on the bus at this time.He looks very unique and sits directly across from me. He doesn't hide his stare as he looks me over from head to toe. I shift uncomfortably.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I ask so that he'll stop looking at me. His gaze doesn't falter, but he smiles and shows off large dinosaur like teeth. His brown hair is really out of place. I'm not sure how I should feel about this man.

"I can see why my hyung likes you." It shocks me for a moment, and it's clear that it's written across my face when the dinosaur laughs at me. "My name is Dongwoo. Nice to meet you, Woohyun." I'm creeped out. How does he know my name? 

"Uh, how do you know my name?" I ask and he just laughs. It's a kind of infectious laugh, because it makes me laugh too. He must have realized he was being creepy because he apologized for it and begged my forgiveness.

"I'm Sunggyu's friend." He smiled. "He talks about you a lot." 

I could only smile, wanting to know more. He talks about me to his friends? Does he like me?

"So should I ask him out then?" I ask. I an eyebrow playingly, but the look on Do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter