The Flavors of Chicken

Onew Meets Dracula

Onew leads Dracula through the streets to his favorite chicken spot. 

"Chicken Ga-Lore?" The vampire attempts to pronounce the foreign words. His eyes widen as he spots the giant chicken sign standing on the roof of the building. "Is this really the place you like to get chicken from?"

The leader nods, grinning widely as he pulls Dracula inside. "If you want variety, this is the place to come to." He heads towards the back of the restaurant settling into a seat by the kitchen doors before motioning to his companion to do the same.

Immediately, the owner walks toward the table. "Ah, Jinki. It's nice to see you again. I see you have company tonight.  The usual?"

"Not tonight.  Instead I'd like to have the Entire Basket."  Dracula clears his throat loudly.  "Oh, nothing with garlic though.  My friend here is allergic to garlic."  Onew states. 

"Entire Basket?" the owner asks a little surprised.  "You know that's 50 different flavors of chicken and you've only ever eaten half before in a sitting."

"My companion here has never experienced the pleasure of chicken so I brought him to the best chicken joint in town."  The proprietor smiles at the compliment as the leader continues, " I'm going to show him the delectable wonders of my favorite food."

"Excellent.  I shall start you boys off with the mildest flavors and work you up to the hottest we have to offer."  The owner enters the kitchen to begin the first platter of fowl for his guests.

Shortly a waiter arrives placing a big plate of chicken in the middle of the table then lays two smaller plates in front of Dracula and Jinki along with glasses of water.  "Enjoy." the waiter says before leaving the men to their meal.

"This," the leader gestures to the chicken, "is the appetizer.  Here is , Salt and Vinegar, Lemon Pepper, Teriyaki, and Honey BBQ." Onew explains pointing to each section of the plate.

"This is an appetizer." Dracula questions with one eyebrow raised.

"Yep." Onew mumbles around a bite of food.

"Eating already.  You don't waste time."

Swallowing, "Can't let it get cold, doesn't taste the same then."  Laughing, the vampire reaches out picking up a piece of fowl and slowly placing it on his tongue.  "Now chew." Jinki instructs his companion watching closely as Dracula's jaws muscles being to move up and down.  "Swallow."  The dark clad man tilts his head back as the chewed food slides down his throat.  "Well?" Onew eagerly asks.

"It's bland." Dracula answers not impressed.

"That would be because you ate the wing, meaning no sauce, just meat.  Try another one." he encourages.  Skeptical, the vampire takes another piece then another, then another, working clockwise around the platter until he has tasted the four flavors.  "Which one did you like the best?"

"That one." the pale one points to the lemon pepper.

"Good choice.  Enjoy some more." 

Together the two finish the plate quickly, Onew eating the rest of the wings.  The next two dishes after are eaten in silence as both become focused on the different flavors of fowl.  Even the vampire the sauces he really enjoys off his fingers. 

The owner reappears with a fresh platter, "Ready for the next level up boys?"  He happily sets the wings on the table, "We have Medium, Chipotle BBQ, Jammin Jalapeno, Spicy Asian, and Caribbean Jerk.  Enjoy." he says before returning to the kitchen.

"Which one should we start with first?" Jinki asks.

Smelling each flavor, Dracula sits back with a frown on his face, "I can't decide."

"How about we close our eyes and randomly pick then." the leader suggests and his companion nods in agreement.  They close their eyes, each reaching out for an unknown piece and placing it in their mouths before opening their eyelids.  They stare at each other as they chew, letting the spices spread across their tongues when suddenly Onew's face scrunches up.  He picks up a napkin quickly spitting the chicken out then grabbing another napkin he starts wiping his tongue before chugging his entire glass of water.

"Taste bad?" the vampire chuckles.

"Try it yourself."

"Which one was it?"

Jinki leans over the table smelling the platter of chicken until he finds the right scent.  "This one."  Dracula grabs the wing taking a huge bite out of it.

"Tastes fine to me." he replies taking another chicken of the same sauce.

"You have weird tastes buds my friend."  Looking for the name of the flavor, "Caribbean Jerk.  More like Floor Cleaner." Onew states cleaning his tongue once more before reaching for the other flavors he finds more enjoyable.  The following four plates of chicken pass inspection between the men and then the final course begins.  "Ready for a burn?" Jinki teases.

Dish nine arrives with Thai Curry, Hot BBQ, Hot Buffalo, Mango Habanero, and Blazing. 

"Shall we work counter-clockwise this time?" Dracula suggests in which Onew nods taking the first hot bite.

"Not bad.  Your turn."

The black clad man eats the same flavor, agreeing with the leader, then moving on to the more intense sauces.  By the end both men are sweating.  "Wow that Blazing was pretty intense."

"If you think that was intense then you should try one last flavor." the proprietor states after overhearing.

"There's another flavor?" Jinki asks surprised.  "I know the tenth plate would be the wings with garlic but I didn't know you had a hidden seasoning."

 "I'll be right back."  The owner leaves only to return promptly with two clipboards.  "I need you both to sign these please."

Exchanging a glance, the two patrons look down to read a liability form.  "What is your last flavor?" Onew wonders in awe.

"Sign the paper and you'll know." the proprietor smiles waving his hand at them to hurry up.  Once both has signed the owner takes the boards back and scurries into the kitchen.  Moments later he arrives with a fresh, hot plate of wings in one seasoning.  Placing the dish in the middle, "My reserved wings I only share with the best fowl eaters and tonight my boys, you both have proven you are chicken maniacs.  If you can eat all of these you'll be the King of Chicken.  Now try the Atomic wings."

Interested Jinki and Dracula each pick up a piece biting fully into it.  The owner watches both as they begin to chew and within seconds both turn bright red.  Onew quickly swallows, sticking his tongue out he fans it in an attempt to cool the burning.  The vampire does a little better eating the wing.

"I see why it's called Atomic." the leader tries to say while his tongue hangs out.  The others laugh at him then Dracula digs in eating another piece.  Onew looks at him astonished, "How can you eat another wing?"

"What do you mean?  This is the best.  Get's my blood boiling." the pale man responds happily as he eats more.

Jinki laughs loudly, "Well let's see how far I can make it."  They both continue eating the wings on the platter with Onew only eating five pieces before throwing in the towel.  The vampire finishes the rest of the chicken by himself.  "Congratulations my friend, you are the King of Chicken." he applauds.

Dracula bows, "Thank you."

"Have you changed your mind about the deliciousness of chicken now?"

"Deliciousness? That word doesn't even come close to describing the stupendousness of flavors that you have opened my taste buds to.  Each one was incredible, especially that Atomic seasoning. I think I may have found a substitute to drinking blood."

Chuckling, they leave the restaurant in a blissful mood.  "We have to do this again." Jinki declares and Dracula nods heartily in agreement before they each go their separate ways.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HUGE Thanks to panopticlove, my coauthor, for helping complete this. I don't think I could have done it without her. Kamsahabnida, unnie!