A Little Too Sweet

A Little Too Sweet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Minjung slammed the tennis ball with all her might, making sure she sent it to her opponent's blind spot. Sulli missed and groaned, pouting when the referee announced Minjung's win.

 

“Why do I always lose?” Sulli whined as she joined the taller girl towards the showers.

 

Minjung wiped her face with a hand towel and shrugged. “Nice match, anyway.” She ruffled the girl's short hair, grabbed her bag from the bench and walked into the shower. Sulli followed suit and stomped into the next cubicle.

 

“What are you doing after lunch, Unni?” Sulli asked, drying her hair and handing Minjung a towel so she could do the same after they had stepped out of the shower, fresh and clean.

 

“Drama practise.” Minjung smiled, a bit too widely and Sulli raised her brows.

 

“Did you not swear you won't participate in the fest's drama unless...”

 

“Yes.” Minjung winked, packing her bag.

 

Sulli's eyes widened, “Oh my! Don't tell me Romeo and Juliet has been chosen by the fest committee.”

 

“It has!” Minjung quipped softly, brushing her long hair, “I am so excited! As You Like It was fun, but dressing up as a boy wasn't.” She pouted, “I already get teased enough without dressing up as a boy as it is. I just hope I land the lead role this year too.”

 

“You have loads of chance. But...” She smirked, “I wonder who your Romeo would be?”

 

Minjung thought a while, completely oblivious of what Sulli was hinting at, “Hmm, I wonder too.”

 

Sulli watched her leave after a rushed goodbye and sighed, “She is so mad about Romeo and Juliet but has absolute zero interest in finding her real life Romeo. Tch, tch, tch.”

 

 

 

 

Minjung arrived at the university's auditorium and entered on finding the audition sign. Minjung was majoring in Literature; and Romeo and Juliet was her favourite drama- thus she had most lines memorised. Her audition went smooth and the Professor told her that the result would be announced later.

 

She spotted Gwiboon around, who was helping behind the stage and beckoned her to come sit beside her, to which the girl gladly obliged.

 

“Heya, Min.” Gwiboon greeted her, taking the bottle of water Minjung handed to her.

 

“So how many auditions are over?”

 

“All except Romeo's.” Gwiboon replied after taking a sip. “It's going on at the other side actually. There is some unexpected turn up. I was gonna go watch. Wanna tag along?”

 

Minjung raised her brows, interested, “Unexpected turn up? Sure.”

 

And so Minjung found herself following Gwiboon to the other side of the auditorium where Romeo’s auditions were being held.

 

As soon as they reached the spot, Gwiboon chuckled, making Minjung look at her in puzzlement. “What's funny?”

 

“Lee Taemin.” Gwiboon replied, “He is trying out for Romeo!”

 

Minjung blinked, “Who Lee Taemin?”

 

“That lean guy with the dark hair.” Gwiboon pointed out, “First year, pursuing Masters in Business Management. A total nerd. Keeps running errands for Professor Park. You may not have seen him around.” She folded her arms, “He must have lost a bet or something to be standing there to make a fool out of himself.”

 

Minjung's eyes found the guy, “ Well, you should not judge his stage skills over that, Boonie.”

 

Gwiboon shrugged, “Fine. I will speak when he's off stage then.”

 

Minjung and Gwiboon found a seat and flopped down, watching Lee Taemin have a look at the script before the Professor gave him the signal to start. Putting the script away, the guy stepped closer, his demeanor changing completely, as he recited Romeo's line flawlessly, his voice gentle, yet firm- his body language precise and noble, and his facial expressions right on spot.

 

Minjung's eyes widened in awe and Gwiboon's mouth fell open watching nerdy Lee Taemin portray a noble, arrogant yet passionate boy.

 

When his audition was done with, Gwiboon realised was hanging open and she fixed her expression before looking to her side. Minjung's eyes were still fixed on the spot Lee Taemin had stood, the obvious awe dripping off her face.

 

“Minjung?” Gwiboon shook her, breaking the girl's gaze.

 

Minjung turned to Gwiboon and Gwiboon gasped, finding a deep blush grace the tall girl's features. She chuckled a moment later on, “OMG you fell for him!”

 

Minjung's face crimsoned even more, “No, I didn't!” She exclaimed softly, punching Gwiboon's arm to make her stop laughing.

 

“Then what's with that face, huh?”

 

“Can't a girl be awed?” Minjung began in defense, “I mean...did you just not see how well he acted? His looks, his posture, his voice...how he molded them together to create the character?”

 

Gwiboon nodded.

 

“That arrogance of a noble, the impulsiveness, that bravery, that passion...he is the perfect Romeo!”

 

Gwiboon's eyes widened, “Perfect Romeo?”

 

Minjung clasped a hand over , “I meant the character!” She said through her palm in a muffled voice, “The character! You dare think otherwise!” And she got up before Gwiboon could more and left the auditorium, leaving Gwiboon smirking.

 

“Oh, Minjung...but your face says otherwise.”

 

 

 

 

The fest was postponed due to the exams and hence the result of the auditions wasn’t out as well. Minjung was really curious if she had bagged the role, even more so if Lee Taemin had bagged the role as well. With no excuse to linger around the auditorium, Minjung did not see Lee Taemin around ever since, and she thought it to be good, because she was not sure if she could maintain her cool around him. His acting had really got her, and whenever she remembered him reciting his lines, her heart would catch a wild pace, making her restless and funnily warm that she had to go out for a match of tennis or to the gym to actually calm these strange outbursts in herself.

 

Sulli would accompany her during these visits and since she knew everything, all due to a certain sly Gwiboon, Minjung could not just get Lee Taemin out of her mind because of Sulli's curiosity about the guy.

 

But to be honest, it wasn't just Sulli's curiosity, it was her own as well that had made Lee Taemin stick around in her thoughts and take a whole lot of space in her mind.

 

What was he truly like? That perfect romantic hero she had seen him play, was he just like that? Or was he different? How different?

 

Why was she so bothered about...by...him?

 

Oh, well. Nevermind. Minjung would conclude, shaking of her curiosity and instead focusing on a verse or a soliloquy, soon forgetting about said Lee Taemin.

 

 

 

 

“Jonghyun, it's been ages since you graduated.” Mrs Kim started while she served her son dinner, “Start doing something useful with your life.” She glared at Jonghyun, who was just nodding, gobbling up the contents of his plate which consisted of rice practically swimming in curry. Mrs Kim just sighed, “You can pursue whatever you want...but I am still going to remind you that your Dad's office is a good choice.”

 

“I shtill a kwid.” Jonghyun spoke through his full mouth. He swallowed and then looked down at his plate, his cheeks going pink, “But Imma hustlin' already, Ma.”

 

“Gosh, this language!” Mrs Kim scowled, her expression taking a 180 degree turn on finding a tall girl enter the kitchen tiredly, “Minjung!”

 

“Hi, auntie.” Minjung greeted her with a smile, taking a chair beside Jonghyun after taking a water bottle from the fridge.

 

Mrs Kim smiled at her before turning to Jonghyun again, “Where are you hus- working?” She corrected herself, scolding herself in her mind about picking up her son's lingo.

 

“Pastry lounge!” Jonghyun chimed and Mrs Kim raised her brows.

 

Jonghyun got up after drinking the curry from his plate, earning chiding in return and dashed upstairs to his room, making Mrs Kim's face contort in a suspicious way. “Something's up.” She finally spoke out loud. She turned to Minjung, “Dear, just check up on that idiot's workplace for me? Go in causally, have a couple of pastries and the job's done!”

 

Minjung hesitated, “I don't really like sweet stuff.”

 

“Please?”

 

Minjung thought a while, giving up on seeing Mrs Kim's expectant expression, “Alright.”

 

 

 

 

After tennis practise, Minjung entered the washroom and took the towel Sulli handed to her, “So are you tagging along?”

 

“Hmm. Since I am in mood for some pastry, and since I can afford the calories...Yes.” Sulli answered calculatively.

 

“Good.” Minjung smiled, relieved, “Going alone is just plain awkward.”

 

“You should get a boyfriend already.” Sulli stated, flopping down onto the bench while Minjung entered the shower. “And make him your pastry date. How about Lee Taemin?”

 

Sulli heard a small noise in reaction to the name she had uttered and smirked, waiting for Minjung to reply.

 

“I don't need a boyfriend just to have pastry. I have you, so I am fine.” Minjung's voice came, tone careful and low.

 

“It's high time you get one, but!” Sulli exclaimed, “Jonghyun Oppa and his so called gang already call you Noona even though you are younger to them!” Sulli frowned, “Isn't that going to harm your potential love life?”

 

“They call me Noona because I didn't bust them to Uncle.” Minjung answered from the shower, “It's ridiculous, but it's their way of being grateful and respecting my assistance.” Minjung chuckled softly, “Its kinda cute so I let them be.”

 

“Not to mention that you tower above them all.” Sulli pouted, “Anyway, be done fast. I am hungry now.”

 

“Okay.”

 

 

 

 

Minjung halted in front of a cute, snug shop that simply read “The Pastry Lounge” and entered, Sulli right behind. They took a table far in and sat down for a breather from their walk only to find Jonghyun scrambling towards them, excited.

 

“Noona! Ya came!” Jonghyun gushed softly, “Sulli too!”

 

“Hey oppa.” Sulli smiled, and Minjung just waved at him.

 

Jonghyun grew closer and lowered his voice, “Yo’ first bill is ma treat. Hog all ya want.”

 

“Gosh, thank you so much!” Sulli replied, excited, grabbing the menu card immediately.

 

Minjung just let Sulli decide their order, because well, she was not going to have any of it. Except for coffee, maybe.

 

A while later, a soft, familiar voice met Minjung's ears, making her freeze.

 

“What would you like to order, ma'am?”

 

Minjung knew.

 

She knew it was him!

 

Maybe-soon-to-be-Romeo.

 

Lee Taemin.

 

Her heart began to pound, so audibly that she feared if she moved, or even raised her gaze, it might just become audible to the whole lounge. She sat frozen, tight lipped too, feeling blessed to have worn her hoodie after tennis practise, and began to relax only when Sulli started chirping her order.

 

Lee Taemin noted it down quickly to her relief and was off, finally making Minjung lean back in her seat, exhausted.

 

Sulli just looked at Minjung in confusion and then darted her eyes around for the waiter, realisation dawning upon her on recognising who it was. She swiftly turned to Minjung and lowered her voice to a whisper, “Unni! Isn't that your Romeo?”

 

Minjung sat up, panicking rosily, “He is. I mean-no he isn't- I mean, he is Romeo- he may become Romeo-but he isn't mine!” She blabbered, feeling out of breath just by those few hurried words.

 

Sulli smirked, “Oh, Unni. Your face says otherwise.”

 

 

 

 

Minjung would somehow find herself walking towards the pastry lounge. She would peek in, catch a glimpse of Lee Taemin and then walk away briefly, feeling both culpable and embarrassed.

 

One day, she decided to enter.

 

She needed coffee.

 

No other reason.

 

She had purposely let her hair open and had chosen to wear one of her hooded jackets for this occasion. She did not want to be recognised, not by Lee Taemin- not even by a certain idiot Kim Jonghyun. She took a far away table, not dropping her hood at all. Lee Taemin walked to her a couple of minutes after she had taken a seat, a charming smile on his face as he turned to a new page on his scribble pad.

 

“What would you like to order, ma'am?”

 

Minjung could hear herself internally squealing. What the hell was this?!

 

“C-Cold coffee.” She stuttered, blocking away the squealing and then feeling devastated at stuttering.

 

Choi Minjung never ever, never ever stuttered.

 

“Anything else?” Lee Taemin asked brightly and Minjung just shook her head and the guy was off to get her the cold coffee.

 

Minjung rubbed her forehead, groaning to herself softly.

 

“Damn, damn, damn.” She cursed, “How embarrassing.”

 

The cold coffee came soon and so did the handsome Lee Taemin, the same charming smile on his face, “Your cold coffee, ma'am.”

 

Minjung muttered a thank you and Lee Taemin bowed his head in courtesy before rushing away to tend to another customer.

 

Minjung sipped on her cold coffee slowly, making full use of her hoodie to hide her obvious gaze which followed Lee Taemin's trail. There were not many customers at that time of the day and Lee Taemin would be standing at the counter, a book propped open at the corner, reading- yet alert for every customer that would beckon him or walk in. She was careful not to let Jonghyun spot her and was glad that her idiot cousin was cleaning inside and not loitering outside.

 

A loud slurping noise met her ears and she closed her eyes, cringing for slurping so loud, before looking into her glass and founding the coffee to be over. She was tempted to order more, despite not liking the sweet coffee at all, but Lee Taemin seemed engrossed in his notes, and Minjung did not want to disturb the guy.

 

He had to work after college and hence would be grabbing every chance to study, thus everyone had labelled him a nerd, which Minjung understood was not the case. He was hardworking, cheerful despite his workload and surprisingly mannerful. She smiled slightly, getting up and walking to the cash counter and settling the bill on her own.

 

She walked away hurriedly before Lee Taemin could spot her leaving and took a deep breath, feeling slightly light headed.

 

“Romeo in an apron.” She hummed to herself as she walked back home, “Not bad at all.”

 

 

 

 

Minjung grew braver day by day and kept dropping in at the pastry lounge...but she never grew brave enough to drop the hood of her coat...or to speak anything more than her order. Jonghyun may have noticed her but he said nothing (yet) and she was relieved about it.

 

Lee Taemin grew handsomer by the day and along with acting skills, the guy possessed the skill of multitasking, the skill of brewing coffee when the Boss was too busy, and even the skill of icing a few of the confections w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter