7 - Fever

Bara no Hanabira

January 10th 2015

“It’s time to go, guys,” Hitomo smiled from the front of the practice room.

In front of her stood the various members of Bara No Hanabira, holding bags and backpacks all with looks of matching nerves on their faces.

“You’ve all said goodbye to your parents, correct?” She received a sea of nods in response. “All your main luggage has gone to the dorm already?” Another sea of nods. “Brilliant, then if we all pile into the minibus, we’ll get going to your new home.”

Of course, today was the day that Acid Teochii were moving into their new dorm, the day that they were finally taking that next step to debuting. Nobara Meoki was nervous, her chest tightening with nerves but her stomach fluttering with excited butterflies. This was the final hurdle, once they were living together in the dorm, there was only one more step to debuting.

The debut itself of course.

Which was only right around the corner itself.

Hatake was almost hyperactive as they made their way to the black minibus, practically bouncing as he walked through the hallways out of the practice studio, holding two small backpacks.

“What are those for?” Rose questioned with a raised eyebrow. She herself only had a small handbag that held her necessities.

Hatake grinned over at her. “Well this one,” he started indicating to the bag on his right arm. “Has all of my teddies and bed time stuff in. It’s so I can feel comfortable on the journey! And this one,” He indicated to the left. “Is full of books so I don’t get bored on the journey!”

Hitomo laughed slightly at their Maknae. “You do realise it’s only a 20 minute drive, right? We’re not going to be in the van for hours on end, you’re going to be fine.”

“Even so,” Hatake huffed, crossing his arms as well as he could with the two backpacks hanging off them. “I’d rather be safe than sorry!”

The twins were quite the opposite of Hatake. Neither were carrying any luggage…well, apart from the long, thin backpack with an oxygen tank in that Aiko was wearing on his back, a small, thin tube running from it to his nose cannula. They were keeping to themselves, even Airi not as talkative as she usually was. After all, the two, especially the female twin, were often the loudest of the group, the ones with the most to say on an issue… but today they’d hardly said a word to any of them. Airi was clinging closely to Aiko’s side, her hand gripping his smaller one as they mumbled between each other.

Rose looked over at them with a frown, appearing slightly worried of her two song writers. “Are you two okay?” She asked while the group piled into the back of the minivan, Aiko and Airi taking the very back two chairs, while Rose and Hatake took the other two, Hitomo taking the driver’s seat at the very front. Rose twisted slightly to look at the pair, her eyes showing nothing but concern for the two.

“We’re fine,” Airi smiled weakly. “Aiko just isn’t feeling too well today, I think it’s because of the nerves, nothing to worry about.”

Meoki frowned, leaning towards them with her arm outstretched, aiming to test the younger boy’s forehead for a fever, but as she approached, the boy flinched violently away.

“I’m fine, Meoki-chan, really I am. Don’t worry.” The frown didn’t leave the leader’s face as she nodded, turning back to the front as the van started up, pulling away from the practice studios in which they had met at.

The journey wasn’t exactly… exciting. They got stuck in traffic about half way to where their dorm was, making the 20 minute journey that Hitomo had promised turned more into an hour.

Hatake, of course, didn’t miss his opportunity to boast that he had books to occupy his time while everyone else sat bored.

However, when they finally did pull up at the new place they’d be living, Meoki was awestruck.

In front of them stood a large building, almost shoddy in appearance, seeming broken down and abandoned… but Meoki could see how smart the said building would be since no-one would expect it to be an idol’s dorm. It stood at 7 floors high, even a roof area opened up at the top with what appeared to be an on roof garden.

“I know it doesn’t look like much,” Hitomo started as she got out of the front of the minibus, slamming the door and making sure everyone was out before locking the doors. “Inside though, it looks much better. Ace Entertainment like to use run down buildings to make it look like no-ones here, it makes it so the fans don’t find your dorms as easily.”

“Smart,” Airi grinned as she looked up. “It looks like a complete tip.”

“Thanks, Airi,” Hitomo deadpanned before walking over to the building, sorting through her bag and pulling out a handful of key cards. “Here’s your key cards, you get one each. This is how you get in and out of the building. Don’t lose it, don’t forget it, and don’t let anyone else have it, alright? These key cards are designed for your safety. I also have one for your dorm, as does CEO Lee, but that’s it. Your four, me, and CEO Lee, no-one else is allowed one of these key cards.”

“I understand,” Meoki nodded as she was handed the thin piece of plastic, nodding towards the others as they all accepted their own key cards.

“Now, if all of that is said and done, let’s go see your dorm.”

Hitomo lead the small group towards the doorway of the large building, scanning her key card and pushing the door open as it made an audible click. Inside, you could already tell the difference. Their dorm wasn’t amazing of course, they were a rookie group who were yet to debut, they wouldn’t expect Ace Entertainment to spend a lot of money on something where they don’t’ know if it will even kick off, so they weren’t expecting luxury.

But inside, the soft carpets and the golden paint around the doorframes sure made the small, young group feel like royalty. “Your dorm is on the 4th floor,” Hitomo told them as she walked towards the elevator, once again scanning her key card to call the elevator towards them. “There are other groups around on other floors, but you’ll have to find out who they are alone by meeting them, we technically can’t tell you.” She grinned at them as the elevator doors opened. “Get in then.”

The group of four hurried into the small space, pacing slightly and trying to keep their trembling knees still as they were pulled upwards in towards their floor.

“Don’t look so terrified,” Hitomo laughed slightly, rubbing the top of Meoki’s head. “You’re all going to be fine, alright?”

“Hitomo-sama,” Meoki started, directing her gaze to the floor. “What if I’m not a good leader?”

“Now isn’t the time for doubts, Meoki,” Hitomo smiled, walking out of the elevator as the doors once again reopened to let them onto the floor. “You’re going to do brilliantly, don’t worry.”

Rose nodded slightly, taking a deep breath and following her manager out onto the lush carpet ahead of them. “So this floor is mostly yours.” Hitomo continued as she opened up another door with the key card, walking through it. “Here we have the main room, with your TV, game stations, couches, big chairs, etcetera. To your left we have the kitchen and the dining area, and to your right is the bedrooms and the bathrooms.”

Airi’s eyes seemed to shine. “Bedrooms? As in plural? We get our own rooms?”

Hitomo laughed slightly. “No, not exactly. You do have to share since there is only two rooms. Hatake and Aiko will be sharing a room, as will Airi and Meoki. Boys and girls. See what’s been done there?”

“I don’t like it,” Airi crossed her arms, frowning over at their manager. “If you’re making us share, why can’t I share with my twin brother? I can’t look after him if we’re in different rooms.”

“You’re not going to be living in the rooms, are you? Those are only to sleep in, so don’t worry so much, it’ll be fine.”

“If you’re sure.” Airi huffed, although the frown on her face showed that the girl still wasn’t happy about it.

Aiko chuckled breathlessly, putting his hand on the girl’s shoulder. “It’s okay, Airi,” He gave her a small, weak smile. Meoki hated how he seemed unable to pull any air into his lungs that day. “I’ll be fine without you, you know? I am the older twin.”

“You’re older by 6 minutes.”

“Still older.”

Hitomo laughed slightly, ruffling Aiko’s hair. “You tell her, kid.” Although she seemed to hesitate slightly, leaving her hand on Aiko’s head a split second longer than necessary. I need to get back to the company to fill in some paperwork, so you all can unpack and decide between yourselves any house rules. I need to head back now, so work together and be good, alright?”

The group of four nodded as Hitomo gave them a smile, turning and walking out of the dorm.

“So…” Airi started, turning towards the rest of the group while gripping hold of Aiko’s arm protectively. He still wasn’t looking very good, taking small weak breaths and shuddering slightly with every exhale. “What now?”

“Well…” Meoki trailed off, trying her best to get into her Leader mind frame. “We could work out any house rules we have before going and unpacking and making ourselves at home? Does that sound like a plan?” The three ahead of her gave a small nod before they began to walk towards the large couch in the main area.

Meoki quickly claimed the reclining armchair, while the three other spread themselves on the couch.

“First thing is first,” Rose said while pulling out a notebook and a pen from the bag beside her. “Rules… I think firstly, no-one brings anyone into the dorm without the others knowing. I think we can bring people in, whoever we want, but we have to give everyone prior warning and everyone has to agree. This will stop any conflict happening, that’s all…”

“Conflict?” Hatake asked while clinging to a small android doll in his arms. Rose had never seen it before, the bright green hair on the doll clashing with the pink dress it wore. She decided to say nothing about it, each to their own if he wanted to cling to a plush doll…”

“Stuff like… say Airi and Sweet-EE from Symphon-EE have had an argument but the rest of us don’t know, then I go and bring Sweet-EE in for a coffee date. That could cause conflict, see what I mean?” At the three nods ahead of her, Meoki gave a smile. “Awesome! Anyone got any other ideas?”

Aiko shakily raised his hand, peering over at the others nervously. It twisted Rose’s heart how unsure he seemed of himself at that particular moment, looking quite pale and slightly flushed. “I have an idea… can we have a rule where we don’t bring food into the bedrooms? Obviously drinks and stuff is fine, but…”

“But food particals in the air can really mess with Aiko’s health, especially if it’s left to get mouldy and forgotten about. It’s more of a health precaution than anything.”

Meoki nodded in agreement, jotting the second rule down quickly. “It’s all fair, don’t worry about it Aiko.” She gave him a smile. “I understand completely. Hatake-kun, you need to remember that, okay? Your roommate’s lungs can be quite weak so you have to be careful what you do with everything, understand?” Hatake gave a small nod, cuddling his plush doll tighter to his chest. Even the hyperactive maknae had calmed.

“Aiko-kun,” Meoki turned towards the male twin with a frown. “Are you feeling okay? You do look really pale right now, that’s all.”

“I-I feel a bit sick…” He admitted, rubbing at his face. Meoki’s frown grew as she rose to her feet from the large, comfy chair and knelt in front of the boy, placing her cupped hand on his forehead and one on her own to compare the warmth below her hands.

“Aiko-kun, sweetie, you’re burning up.” Aiko gave a small, sad nod.

“I know.”

“And you didn’t say anything?” Rose scolded, giving him a small glare. “You can’t put your health at risk.”

“We’re busy today though, Meoki-chan, I can’t afford to be sick, so it’s fine, I can deal with it…”

“Kawaguchi Aiko, you’re a weak person, you can’t afford to just not tell us when you don’t feel well.”

“I told Airi!” He tried to defend, although he threw himself into a coughing fit almost instantly with the exclaimation.”

Airi cowered slightly under her own glare from the leader. “He didn’t want me to tell you…”

Rose sighed slightly, holding her head in her hands. “This is enough, now, we’ll sort the rest of the rules later. Aiko-kun, is there anything I can do to help?” She asked, her harsh look gone and replaced with a more gentle, motherly glance towards the small boy.

He shook his head slightly. “All I can do is sleep it off, that’s all… I have my oxygen with me just in case, I’ll be fine.”

She sighed, running her fingers through her hair. “Would you like to go to sleep now or wait until later on?”

“Please finish the rules, Meoki-chan,” Aiko gave her a bright smile despite his flushed look. “I’ll survive.”

“If you’re completely sure…”

“I am.”

Hatake turned towards his roommate, looking slightly upset as he just now took in the older boy’s pale but sweaty, sickly appearance. “Are you sure you’re okay, Aiko-sama?” He asked, frowning towards him.”

Aiko gave a small chuckle. “I’m sure I’m fine, don’t worry, okay? I’m okay.”

Rose sighed, continuing to talk through rules with everyone.