Chapter Four

I'm Not the Only One

Hyewon’s eyes fluttered open and she instantly felt hollow inside. She didn’t want to turn around in bed. She didn’t want to see the owner of the arm that was draped around her waist. She hoped that it would be Mino but when she peered over her shoulder and saw Taehyun peacefully sleeping beside her, she felt nauseous. She wasn’t disgusted by him, no. She was disgusted by the fact that she betrayed Mino with Taehyun and actually enjoyed the night before. She wanted to curl up and cry but what good would that do? Trying not to wake Taehyun, she slowly slid out of bed but Taehyun gripped her waist tighter. Sleep coated his voice, “Let’s just stay in bed, Hyewon. Just a little longer.” Hyewon stiffened at how comfortable he sounded, as if he was her boyfriend. A part of her wanted to exclaim that everything was a mistake and that he needed to leave at once but at the same time, shameful to say, she wanted to stay in bed and let him comfort her. But the disgraceful thought made her feel sick.

“You need to leave.” Taehyun opened his eyes, wondering what she was talking about. He saw her sitting on the edge of the bed, her back facing him. “What?” He couldn’t understand why she was so cold. “You need to leave. You shouldn’t be here and last night should have never happened.” Hyewon felt apologetic and heartbroken to have to tell him this. Taehyun broke a little inside. He had misunderstood the night before. She didn’t really love him, she had just been caught up in the moment. He thought he pushed her into making love with him.

Taehyun quietly got out of bed and put his clothes back on. He desolately walked out of her flat and into his own. He mindlessly wandered to his couch and sat there, slumped over in misery. He felt like a fool. He cursed at himself for even looking at Hyewon. He cursed at himself for betraying his best friend. He cursed at himself for falling in love with her. And all the while, Hyewon was breaking down in her bed. She sobbed into her hands as she questioned herself harshly. How could she betray Mino? Why didn’t she push Taehyun away? What was she thinking? Why did she feel like her heart was being torn apart as she listened to Taehyun leave?

She wanted to turn back time just as much as Taehyun did. He wished she had never bumped into him in the elevator. He wished he had never started that conversation. He wished that his heart hadn’t fluttered as she argued with him. He wished he could’ve forgotten about her after that day. He wished he never found out that she was Mino’s one and only. And a part of them wished that they had met before they met Mino.

III

Mino s his arms around her waist from behind. He rested his chin on her shoulder and he lightly kissed her neck. “What’s wrong? You don’t seem very happy today? Did something happen?” Hyewon wanted to tell him everything but she didn’t want to risk what they had. She wanted get on her knees and beg for forgiveness. But the thought of him possibly getting upset and leaving her killed her inside. So she just shook her head, telling him she was just tired from a long day of studying. Mino squeezed her middle gently, “Don’t overwork yourself, baby.” Hyewon stopped cooking and turned to face him. She searched his innocent and loving eyes. “Babe, do you love me?” Mino’s eyes widened at the sudden question but he softened, “Of course. You know that.” Hyewon found it harder to breathe, “What would happen if I broke your heart?” Mino kissed her nose, “I would still love you. If you were to push me away and try to keep me out of your life, I would still love you no matter what.” Hyewon’s heart constricted a little bit. She thought that that was what she wanted to hear but it wasn’t.

After a normal dinner, she sent Mino off and sank into her couch. For the first time ever, she questioned what she saw in Mino. Yes, he was loving and kind. He had a heart of gold but was that what she really wanted? He didn’t have that special drive that she thought he had. If he wanted something, he would never fight for it. He would give it away without saying another word. He was too selfless and she guessed, in a way, she hated it. Then, Taehyun came to mind. He was the kind of man who got what he wanted no matter what it took. He had that drive.

Every time she saw him, he argued with her. He never stepped down. She always thought that he was stubborn but his confidence was what she couldn’t resist. She could have walked away but she wanted to stay and see just what he would do to win a petty argument.

III

“What in the world are you talking about? Money isn’t the solution to everything.” Taehyun scoffed. “For your information, it solves a lot of things. Everyone I know can be satisfied with money.” Hyewon rolled her eyes. She grabbed a blank piece of paper off of Mino’s desk and ripped it in half. She threw it at Taehyun’s face but it floated down toward the wooden floor. “Can money fix that?” Taehyun smirked, “Tape.” Hyewon smirked as well, “It doesn’t fix that piece of paper. It’ll still be ripped down the middle. Money can’t fix or buy everything you rich snob.” Taehyun stared at her in shock. “Money can’t buy true happiness. It can’t buy true love. It can’t fix broken things whether it’s paper, glass, or a heart. I win.” She turned to leave but Taehyun caught her by her wrist. “You can build a time machine with money and turn back time to keep that piece of paper in one piece.” Before Hyewon could argue with that point, he walked way as he laughed deviously.

III

Hyewon smiled softly at the memory. For some reason, she liked his ridiculous arguments. She sighed and looked up. She looked around her flat and slowly grew heavy inside. She felt so alone even if Mino had just been with her. She wasn’t satisfied. She needed someone who would hold onto her and never let her go. Someone that wasn’t like Mino. She knew that he would still leave her alone and let her go. He said he wouldn’t and still love her but she knew that he would watch her from afar and be miserable by himself.

Before Hyewon could think things through, she was already in the elevator, going down. She stood in front of his door, her finger touching the doorbell, not quite pressing it. She quivered a bit at the thought of him. She wondered what she was doing. She couldn’t comprehend how she had come down to his flat and stand there when she was still with Mino. She was determined to turn away and go back to her place but the door swung open. Taehyun, with his white dress shirt open and still in his black pants, stared at her as if he had been expecting her. He called her name and she felt her legs caving in. His voice was so soft yet strong.

Without even thinking about it, she walked toward him. Her arms thrown around his neck and her lips pressed against his. Taehyun stumbled back but steadied them. He smiled softly into the kiss as she slowly shed his shirt off of him. Taehyun led her to his spacious bedroom as he lifted her wool sweater off of her. And there they were, doing what they did the night before but in the comfort of his home. As the city became silent, Taehyun held onto Hyewon. They lied in bed, playing with their fingers and whispering apologies and words of love. 

---

A/N:

Different Updating System

I will only update if there is one new comment

(in total NOT from each reader) after each new chapter post

(I don't mean every day).

The comment can be any comment (examples: ".", "I liked it.", "I hated it.", etc.).

I am only doing this to know that there is at least ONE reader that is truly interested in this story.

Thank you.