Chapter Two

I'm Not the Only One

Message: This is a SHORT STORY (ABOUT 10 chapters).

“Babe!” Mino smiled widely and opened his arms up and enclosed them around her slim waist when she ran into them. She giggled into his chest and tilted her head up for an expected kiss. “What are you doing here? I thought you had class today?” He tucked her hair behind her ear with an affectionate gaze. “Class was cancelled so I thought that I would stop by and drop off some coffee for you and your little crew.” Hyewon held up the coffee and smiled brightly. She walked around the room, giving each of his friends a warm cup of coffee. Mino leaned against his table and watched her enthusiastically greet the people he worked with and politely hand them a cup of coffee to keep them up and working. A proud smile spread across his face as his eyes followed her around the small studio.

Even though they had been dating for two years, he still couldn’t believe that Hyewon was his girlfriend. He still couldn’t figure out how he had stolen her precious heart that was sought after by many handsome men. He had liked her before she looked his way but he always liked her from afar. He would watch his high school classmates attempt to go after her heart but they failed. But somehow and someway, she had noticed him during their freshman year of college. The way she smiled at him made his heart beat erratically and the world around him stopped. Being a timid person, it took him months to gather the courage to ask her out on a date and when the day finally came to ask her, he was prepared to be shot down or be told that he was only a good friend to her. But when she uttered a word of consent, he felt as though he was dreaming.

And since that day, they had become a couple envied by all. Mino was proud of what they called their love. He knew that Hyewon was the one that he should never let go of. Losing her would mean losing everything. He did his best to give her all he had and he knew she was doing the same for him. He knew that he was going to marry her someday. She was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life and all of eternity with. His mother couldn’t wait for the day they exchanged vows. But at the same time, he thought that he didn’t deserve her. He wasn’t wealthy and his family background wasn’t the best. His father was a convict and his mother was ill. His younger sister was a troublemaker. He didn’t make enough money working as a composer and musician. His home was a dilapidated apartment. He had a huge debt to pay off due to his mother’s hospital bills. So he had always wondered why she stayed with him. He couldn’t provide her with many things and he was always having difficulties with money.

But all the while, Hyewon, without a given reason, stayed with him. She supported him in all he did. She cared for his mother and sister as if they were her own family. She never asked for material items and she was always will to spend her own money if he didn’t have enough. Mino loved her for loving him no matter what he was going through. And yet, he was also apologetic. He seemed to be more of a heavy burden rather than a boyfriend. He sighed.

“Why the long face, babe? Is it your mother? Or maybe your sister?” Hyewon locked her arms around his waist and looked up at him with a concerned face. Mino looked down and saw the light at the end of his dark tunnel. He didn’t know what he would do without her in his life. He was thankful for being able to meet her and have her fall in love with him. He gave her a reassuring smile and pecked her lips out of the blue. “What was that for?” Mino said nothing; his lips just met hers once more. “For being you. For loving me. For everything.” Hyewon giggled softly and rested her head against his chest as he held her close to him, his head resting on top of hers.

“I love you, Mino oppa.”

“I love you, too. I love you so much Hyewon.”

III

Mino walked her to the elevator and gave her a farewell kiss before she stepped in. When the doors closed, she sighed in content. She felt blissful and untouchable. As she stared at the ring on her ring finger, she smiled tenderly. She was overjoyed that Mino was the one she could proudly call her lover. He was always there. He had always been there. And he was always going to be there. If it hadn’t been for him, she wouldn’t have found happiness. She wouldn’t have been in the elevator, smiling. She would have been buried six feet under if it hadn’t been for him. The truth that he didn’t know was that although she had always had a smile on her face, she was dying inside.

Her grade school years had been nothing but Hell. School was her safe haven but once she stepped foot into what she was supposed to call home, she broke a little inside. Her parents had fought constantly and they stopped caring. To them, she was nothing but a mistake that they hadn’t erased due to their reputation. Thoughts of suicide ran through her head as she smiled widely at her friends, listened to her teachers, ate lunch, and studied. But as college began and her soul was one crack away from killing her, she saw Mino. He was a familiar face from middle school and high school. She saw him smiling at her and she could see in that smiling face that he loved her more than anything. He would hurt when she hurt. He would smile if she did. The truth was, she needed him more than he needed her.

“You’re not a mental patient are you?” Hyewon looked up from her ring and saw a young and handsome man standing next to her. She hadn’t noticed the elevator stopping and allowing a person to step in. She tilted her head in confusion. He looked into her eyes and his gaze felt as though it would pierce through her soul. “You keep looking at that ring and smiling like a mental person.” He casually sipped on his coffee and nodded at the ring on her finger. Hyewon frowned and cleared , “Is it wrong to be happy? Last time I checked, happiness was not a crime.” She smiled internally, thinking she had won. “It’s a crime in my building. Especially if you’re not right in the head.” Hyewon turned her body to face him and she stared up at him with a stern look “Sounds like no one has ever loved you.”

The young man raised his slanted eyebrows and turned his body to face her, “And someone’s loved you? Who would love a rude girl like you?” Hyewon bravely took a step forward, “I have a boyfriend who loves me with all of his heart.” The young man took a step forward as well, “He could do better.” Then, all was silent. The two stood in the center of the elevator, staring one another down until the elevator reached the first floor. When the doors slid open, Hyewon squinted her eyes at him and tossed her long hair before sauntering off. But unexpectedly, he called after her, calling her a insolent little girl.

Hyewon turned around and found him standing right behind her. “I didn’t get your name.” Hyewon scoffed, “Why do you want to know my name?” The young man smirked deviously, “So that I can put you on the blacklist. I don’t want an il-mannered girl like you in my building.” Hyewon froze. She had ignored him when he had first mentioned his ownership of the builing she was standing in. She cleared , “I’m sorry for being rude.” Thinking the young man would forgive her she bowed. “What’s your name?” His tone portrayed his impatience. “Shin Hyewon. But please don’t put me on the blacklist. I didn’t know this was your building. I really need to come here.” The young man stared her, his lips threatened to form into an amused smile. “And why is that?” Hyewon sighed, “My boyfriend works here.” His lips stopped itching to smile and turned into a frown of discontent. He coughed cumbersomely, “Fine. Brush up on your manners. And get out before you annoy me even more.” Hyewon made a face of irritation before walking away.

“Shin Hyewon!” She stopped once more and looked over her shoulder, “If you’re going to come here often, you might as well know who owns the place your boyfriend works at. I’m Nam Taehyun. Next time you see me, be polite unless you want your boyfriend to get fired.” Hyewon stiffened at the threat and nodded. She watched him walked past her and out into the parking lot. She saw him getting into his sleek black car and driving off. She grumbled in displeasure before leaving the building owned by someone who she considered a thorn to society.

***

A/N: 

Different Updating System

I will only update if there is one new comment

(in total NOT from each reader) after each new chapter post

(I don't mean every day).

The comment can be any comment (examples: ".", "I liked it.", "I hated it.", etc.).

I am only doing this to know that there is at least ONE reader that is truly interested in this story.

Thank you.