Replay

Home Sweet Home {Hiatus}
Please log in to read the full chapter

We were ushered into a doorway and up two flights of steps. I could still feel the anxiety rushing though my body. The camera crew slowly stated to reassemble in the small shop we were now standing in.

I didn’t even have time to assess the new setting we were in before Jonghyun whipped around in front of me. “What did you thing you were doing? You could have gotten hurt!” He scolded me.

“Taemin needed help.” As I mentioned the name, I felt my arm flinch. I was still holding onto his hand. I had dragged Taemin all the way here! I had been so distracted that I still held onto him. I quickly let go without glancing at him to spare myself further embarrassment.

“We are both okay. And the unnie that was trying to help him is too,” I calmly explained to Jonghyun.

He didn’t say a word to me and turned around, averting his attention to something else. He was clearly upset and I found it hard to understand why. If he had noticed that his dongseng needed help, wouldn’t he have reacted in the same way I did?

I usually would not let this kind of misunderstanding go, but I felt uncomfortable trying to reason with Jonghyun. Maybe it was the cultural differences, or maybe it was the fact that I still didn’t understand his personality. I was rendered speechless. Our once light atmosphere had become cloudy, and it was not something that I welcomed. I felt as if there was nothing I could do to change it. I doubted that a stupid joke would put a smile their faces because I knew one wouldn’t put a smile on mine. All I could manage to do was stare at Jonghyun’s back as he walked to the café counter.

“You’ll have to forgive him. He was just worried. Those situations can be dangerous because you never know what the fans are going to do,” Key clarified.

Onew stood next to us, but I could see him struggle with the idea of following Jonghyun. “It is our responsibility to look after you while you’re here, you know,” the tone in his voice was serious. “Thanks for looking out for our Taemin, but if there is a next time, it would be safer to look after yourself. We are used to dealing with this kind of situation. The last thing we want is for you to get hurt while you’re with us.” Onew gave me a smile and patted my shoulder before shuffling off after Jonghyun.

“I think I should apologize to all of you, especially Jonghyun-ssi. He seemed really upset.”

Key simply nodded. “I think that’s a good idea.”

Key headed over to the table where Minho and Taemin sat patiently. Minho immediately said something to Key, who in turn scowled at Taemin and pushed his shoulder. Minho looked up at me, smiling, before turning back to the others. The three of them bickered quietly. Key plopped down in the chair next to Minho, and neither one of them gave an ounce of attention to the younger boy sitting across from them. I couldn’t help but think that I was the cause of their little spat.

Taemin looked angry and conflicted. With a blank expression, he looked up to meet my curious eyes. I immediately looked away, slowly pivoting myself to make it look as though I was only surveying my surroundings. I quickly gave up the act, moving on in the direction Jonghyun had headed.

I really wanted to know what the three of them were talking about. I tried to push it to the back of my mind, knowing that if it was something I was meant to hear, then I would have heard. No matter how cold Taemin seemed towards me, I could tell that he wasn’t normally like that. I had seen the way that he acted around his hyungs; he cared for them. Just because he didn’t show much concern for me didn’t mean I wouldn’t show any for him. He’d have to warm up to me eventually then. So far my plan didn’t seem to be going all too well.

My optimistic nature offered hope that the atmosphere between the two of us would be friendlier. I dare say that I even hoped for a ‘thank you’ to come quietly rolling out of his lips. Even a small smile would have sufficed as thanks. For now, getting along with four out of the five boys would have to be good enough. Scratch that, the number was at three because I still needed to talk to Jonghyun.

I walked to the counter and stood behind Onew and Jonghyun. I struggled to find the words to start my apology. Should I get his attention first? Should I just start talking and hope that he pays attention?

“Hi Abigail,” Onew said warmly. Jonghyun moved to the side a bit so that I wasn’t standing behind the two of them but with them. He may have been mad at me, but he wasn’t inconsiderate.

“I want to apologize. My parents raised me to help others, and Taemin needed help. I realize that I acted carelessly. I could have been hurt or caused a bigger problem. I’m not used to situations like this and didn’t think of the consequences. I’ll remember if it happens again. I’m sorry for making you worry.”

My mind felt like it was going to explode. I couldn’t even make eye contact with Jonghyun as I talked, partially because I was nervous and partially because I was focusing hard on the Korean I was speaking. I wanted Jonghyun to understand my actions, but I wanted him to see that I was sincerely sorry. The last thing that I wanted to do was make someone worry about me. I just hoped that he could understand the Korean words that came tumbling out of my mouth.

“I know. It’s all right. Sorry I got upset,” Jonghyun said, giving me a soft smile. “Sometimes the fans can get crazy. I didn’t want them to hurt you. They will probably wonder who you are, so we’ll have to be careful next tim

Please log in to read the full chapter