School Stole Away

Baek to the Basics

A backpack was all it took for Baekhyun to devise the greatest plan that ever was – or so he thought. His classes had commenced once more following the end of the holiday break, but he was not quite ready to leave the warmth (and company) of his home.

Early that morning, he had sulked, perched on the edge of the bed as Chanyeol laid out his clothes for the day. Turning his nose up at the pair of teddy print socks that Chanyeol had fetched for him, Baekhyun folded his arms in front of his chest with a huff.

“No,” he said flatly. “I’m not going today.”

Leaning back on the bed, Baekhyun spread his arms out, taking up as much room as he possibly could; the thick quilt cover felt warm, lulling him to close his eyes. “I’m better at sleeping than I am at learning. Can I stay here?”

With a roll of his eyes, Chanyeol tapped Baekhyun’s thigh lightly. “Up,” he said lightly, although he knew he would much prefer to keep Baekhyun at home. “Come on, or you will be late.”

Crinkling his nose, Baekhyun inhaled deeply. It took a sizeable amount of effort to sit himself upright once more before trudging slowly after Chanyeol out into the kitchen for breakfast. The slower he ate, Baekhyun knew the higher the possibility of being late – and, of course, Chanyeol letting him stay home. He had rehearsed his lines perfectly in his mind.

“I’m late. I guess I can’t go to classes today. Let’s bake cookies instead!” And, in his mind, Chanyeol had agreed with him at once. “Yes, Baekhyun, that is a magnificent idea! Baking is far better than learning. Let’s go eat ice cream after, okay? You don’t have to go to class ever again! I love you, my bunny~”

Reluctantly taking a bite of honey toast, Baekhyun’s lips curled upwards into a small smile at the thought. Yes, that seemed exactly like something Chanyeol would say.

“Hurry up Baek, or you’ll have to eat whilst you walk.”

Or not.

Offering Chanyeol a small, obedient nod, Baekhyun took a larger bite of his toast, earning an approving smile from the giant who watched him from across the kitchen counter. Chanyeol wasn’t an idiot. He knew exactly what Baekhyun was playing at, but he wasn’t about to him skip class that easily.

Taking up the empty saucer from in front of Baekhyun, Chanyeol tucked it away into the dishwasher. “Now, go finish getting ready, please.”

Baekhyun crossed his legs, leaning heavily against the kitchen table. “Ready for what?”

With a shake of his head, Chanyeol moved to Baekhyun’s side, a small smile on his lips. Extending a hand, he wiped the remainder of Baekhyun’s honey toast from the corner of the other’s lips with his thumb.

“Oh my honey bunny,” he teased, ruffling Baekhyun’s hair playfully. “What am I going to do with you?”

“Let me go back to sleep?” Baekhyun asked hopefully.

“Not a chance,” Chanyeol replied, lifting Baekhyun from the chair. “Go get ready.”

 


 

Baekhyun’s backpack sat atop the bed, his lunch in a small paper bag, books and pencil case sat next to it. Folding his arms in front of his chest, Baekhyun furrowed his brows. Something was not quite right with his school things, but he just couldn’t seem to put his finger on it.

Lifting his gaze, Baekhyun’s lips tugged upwards into a knowing smile. There, a short distance away, curled up on his pillow was Sunny, sound asleep, her chest rising and falling slowly. He couldn’t possibly go to classes for the day and leave the puppy behind – she would miss him too much.

Extending his arms, Baekhyun scooped the sleeping pup up, placing her gently in his backpack. If Sunny was to grow, she was going to have to learn, just like everyone else. Tucking his lunch into the front pocket of the backpack, Baekhyun stuffed his books and pencil case under his pillow – a place where he was sure Chanyeol would not think to look.

Heaving his heavy backpack onto his back, careful not to disturb his precious cargo, Baekhyun smiled proudly to himself, wandering out of the room to find Chanyeol.

“Are you ready now, bunny?”

Forcing himself to not grin suspiciously, Baekhyun nodded, tucking his hands into the pockets of his jumper.

“We’re ready.”

 


 

 

It was half past nine when Baekhyun’s troubles first began. His backpack seemed to have come alive, wiggling this way and that. Quiet yips and soft snarls reached his ears and Baekhyun’s face turned pink. Quickly scooping up his backpack, he sat it in his lap, petting Sunny to quieten her.

“Shhh,” he cooed. “You need to learn too, if you want to grow up big and strong.”

his hands reassuringly, Sunny yipped happily in response, glad to have his attention once more. Placing the chalk down, the tutor turned from the blackboard to scan the classroom, looking for the disturbance.

Baekhyun broke out into a coughing fit to try and mask the pup’s noise. Giving the backpack a gentle squeeze, he watched as Sunny curled up once more and shut her eyes.

“No,” he hissed, gently prodding the dozing pup awake once more. “You’re supposed to be taking notes!”

 


 

When Baekhyun got back from the bathroom, he felt the colour drain from his face. Surrounding his desk was his classmates and tutor; Sunny sat atop Baekhyun’s backpack, munching happily on the lunch that Chanyeol had prepared for him.

“Er,” Baekhyun stammered, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. “She wanted to learn, too!”

“This is not a puppy school, Baekhyun,” the tutor scolded, turning away. “I will have to contact someone to come collect her – and you.”

Shifting uncomfortably on the spot, Baekhyun peered through the crowd of classmates that had circled the corgi pup. Sunny seemed unconcerned by the amount of attention she was receiving and had buried her nose into the brown paper lunch bag once more, eager to lap up the last of the sandwich crumbs that she had left behind.

With an outward sigh, Kris crossed the room, stopping at Baekhyun’s side to drag his fingertips through his messy blond hair. “At least,” he said, annoyed with the lesson’s interruption, “you get to finally go home and sleep.”

 


 

With a sheepish grin, Baekhyun trotted after Chanyeol, Sunny clutched against his chest. Chanyeol hadn’t spoken a word to him since he had arrived to collect both Baekhyun and Sunny from class, but it was not for lack of Baekhyun trying to spark conversation with him.

“Miss Sunny is a very good student,” he said, trying to maintain his hold on the wriggling pup with one hand and link arms with Chanyeol with the other. “You should have seen how well behaved she was! Didn’t make a sound! And the notes she took - “

“What did she take notes with, Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked, roughly. “What did you take notes with? I knew something was wrong when I went to make the bed and found everything under your pillow.”

“Mister Giant? Are you cross?”

Chanyeol hesitated, drawing in a sharp breath. “No,” he said. “Just disappointed.”

Baekhyun’s heart sank. “Disappointed?”

 


 

“Do you see,” Chanyeol breathed as he tucked Baekhyun into bed that evening, “why you need to leave Sunny at home? School is not a place for dogs – what if she got hurt? What if she starved?”

Baekhyun nodded sleepily, but remained silent. Chanyeol took a seat on the edge of the bed, watching Baekhyun carefully.

“It makes me sad to have to send you off every day, Baekhyun. But I do it because I want you to be happy. I do it because I love you. Do you understand now?”

“Yes,” Baekhyun whispered, his voice and heart breaking. “I’m sorry.”

Turning off the lamp, Chanyeol got to his feet; Baekhyun’s fingers wrapped around his wrist gently.

“Mister Giant,” he called drowsily. “I can’t fall asleep unless I have a goodnight kiss.” Puckering his lips, Baekhyun closed his eyes and waited.

With a small smile, Chanyeol gave in, reaching across to place a goodnight kiss on Baekhyun’s forehead.

“No, but – “ Baekhyun frowned, pointing at his lips. “Here~”

Straightening himself up, Chanyeol chuckled, making his way out of the bedroom. “Goodnight, Bunny.”

 

 

 

I'd like to thank Melodie94 for this chapters idea!~


What would you like to see next?