Where did you go?

I want to see you

 -13 degrees Celsius. Not as cold as home, but not as warm as it once had been months earlier when I first arrived. Waking up was not pleasant when you were freezing under the not-so-warm sheets because you didn’t have room to pack a warm fuzzy blanket in your suitcase, not that you had much room for anything really. Moving half way across the world in 2 suitcases and a carry on is not something I ever want to do again if I can avoid it. I can’t complain though. I’m finally here. I’m where I want to be. Beautiful Seoul, South Korea. Now just let me get some pants on and we will begin a journey together, because well, it’s cold out.

 

            My roommate was already gone when I woke up. It was Christmas vacation so she traveled back to Busan to be with her boyfriend and family. Ahh boyfriends. I may be a university student, but I wasn’t all too familiar with that foreign subject. It was just easier to be alone. You can eat what you want without sharing, you can go wherever you want without waiting for your significant other, you don’t have to wear silly and adorable couple outfits…you celebrate Black Day…Okay, being single isn’t all that great after all.

 

            I’m not single for lack of trying though. I have met some guys here, mostly students, a few who are of working class and a really cute guy at a coffee shop across the street from campus. I think I like him the most.

 

            His name is Woo Jiho, or as he likes to call himself, Zico. He’s really charismatic, friendly, funny, and did I mention cute? I try to go to the coffee shop once a day even though I don’t have much money to waste, being a full time student, full time blogger and full time vlogger is my dream, but it’s rough starting out. We've gotten close since I started going there and we've talked about our dreams for the future. Obviously not a future together though... not yet anyway. He told me that he wants to be a rapper so I told him I wanted to be an entertainer on variety shows. We both smiled at the possiblility of working together someday.

 

            I looked at the clock when I got out of the bathroom. 9:17am. It’s about time for some coffee I think.  I grabbed my jacket and looked in the mirror before I left. I looked pretty adorable if I do say so myself. I had my hair up in a ponytail with side swept bangs, ulzzang glasses on and minimal makeup. Hopefully Zico will like it.

 

            As I was leaving my dorm, I noticed a few other foreign students hanging around. I guess I’m not the only one who can’t afford to go home for the holidays. I said hello to them, they seemed fairly into the drama they were watching and ignored me. It’s okay, I’m used to it.

 

            When I arrived outside, it was snowing lightly out. “Ahh how romantic…” I thought, smiling to myself. “I wonder if Zico likes the snow too…” I treaded through the snow that blanketed the ground of campus. There were no other footprints around; I guess I’m the only one that decided to leave campus today.Walking around Yonsei campus in the snow was really surreal. I’ve dreamed of coming here for years, and it finally happened. The buildings were beautiful, the teachers were amazing, and my classmates were awesome. Life for me really turned around when I moved here.

 

            I reached the campus gates and my heart started beating quickly. I stood there for a few seconds, just staring at the coffee shop. I got really nervous, but I wanted to see him and talk to him. Tomorrow was Christmas Eve, and I planned on giving me a gift. I got him the new CD of a rapper he told me he really likes. I realized I was zoned out when an ahjumma walked by me and smiled. I think she knew what I was thinking about. Ahjummas here were great, they could sense things and knew that since I was foreign, I likely didn’t have any family here, so they helped out a lot.

 

            I got up the courage and walked across the street. I put my hand on the door handle. “This is it…” I thought to myself. I let out a deep breath and opened the door, the little bell above the door tinkled as I did.

 

            “Annyeong haseyo!” The coffee shop worker said to me as I walked in. My heart dropped. It wasn’t Zico. I’m sure I looked visably disappointed as the worker gave me a worried look. “Ah… are you okay Miss?” He said. I have a smile smile and nodded.

 

            “Uhm, where is Zico-ssi? I thought he said he was working today?” I asked shyly, unsure of what was going on. The worker gave me a a broken hearted look. He frowned.

 

            “I’m sorry Miss. He’s been trying to pursue a rap career, and well…he got a phone call today at work saying that his audition went through and that he was given a contract with a top label company. Ah… are you ____-ssi?” He asked, remembering something. I nodded. “Ahh, he left this note for you.” He smiled, reaching under the counter and grabbing the note. As he handed it to me, he smiled and asked “Jiho-ssi told me what you like to order, would you like your mocha latte with extra milk today?”