15 years later

Where the Light Dies

 

Sehun was walking along the edge of the river, just on the bank, staring into the crystal clear water. There was a slight breeze making the winter morning even colder. Sehun took a deep breath and turned his attention to the sky. It was a clear winter day, the sun was shining proudly down on the city and trying it’s best to increase the temperature.

Sehun sighed in pleasure as the sun warmed his cold skin. Sehun knew today was going to be a good day even though he missed his first class and had, in addition, missed a big test, but he felt happier than he usually did.

Sehun kept walking along the river for another fifteen minutes before his phone started to sing from his jacket pocket. With looking the screen Sehun answered the phone.

“Where are you?” Yixing, his close, dare he say, best friend demanded.

“I overslept,” Sehun replied sheepishly.

“You overslept the day of your chem midterm?”

Uh-Oh, Yixing sounded angry. “I was up too late studying,” Sehun lied. In reality he had stayed up reading manga until the early hours of morning.

“Don’t you lie to me,” Yixing said in his nagging-type voice.

“I’m not!”

“You are too!”

“Am not,” Sehun argued. “I can do this all day Yixing,”

“Where are you now?” Yixing asked changing the subject abruptly.

“I’m on my way to the campus,” Sehun lied, again.

“Sehun,” Yixing warned.

“Yixing,” Sehun said copying Yixing’s tone. Sehun started up the hill towards the road as he spoke to Yixing. He really did have to get to campus or he would miss another class.

“You better be here in five minutes,” Yixing said.

Sehun glanced down at his watch and groaned. It would be impossible for him to make it to campus that quickly from where he was currently standing. “Fifteen,” Sehun said.

Yixing mumbled something then said. “Where are you? I’ll come pick you up.”

Sehun shook his head even though Yixing couldn’t see. “No. I’m a full grown man I can walk there,”

Yixing scoffed. “Yeah right. Where are you?”

Sehun hung up. He had actually hung up on Yixing, his best friend. Sehun shoved his phone angrily back into his jacket pocket and began to walk down the sidewalk mumbling the whole way. “Stupid Yixing doesn’t think I can do anything right,”

Sehun walked against the freezing wind. Sehun could have sworn there were tiny shards of ice in the wind because the cold was hurting him as if he had been cut. Sehun ignored the cold biting wind as best he could.

Sehun was looking down at the ground as he walked not wanting his face to take the brunt of the cold. He was looking down at his booted feet and watching where he stepped. It would be just his luck to slip on some ice and fall right now.

Not being able to see where he was walking, Sehun couldn’t see the boy coming fast toward him. This boy was also not paying attention.

They slammed into each other hard. Sehun staggered back a few steps but the boy he ran into hadn’t been as lucky. He had fallen onto his on the cold, snowy sidewalk.

“Ouch,” The boy said. “That kind of hurt,” He got to his feet and brushed some snow off his backside.

“I’m sorry,” Sehun immediately began. “I didn’t see you,”

The boy looked up. They locked eyes.

Sehun felt as if all the air had been out of his lungs. This boy, with dark brown chestnut hair and matching eyes, was beautiful. His face looked as if it had been sculpted by the gods themselves.

“Sorry,” Sehun said again with a shaky voice.

“It’s fine,” the boy said. “I wasn’t paying attention either to tell you the truth,” He shot Sehun a sly grin that sent Sehun’s heart into overdrive.

The boy bent down and picked up a fallen book form the sidewalk. “I have to get going,” He said with a smile.

The boy started to walk away from Sehun. “Wait!” Sehun said.

The boy turned around and stared at Sehun expectantly. “What’s your name?”

The boy’s eyes widened slightly. “Really Sehun?” He asked.

Sehun was shocked into silence for a moment. How did he know my name? Sehun had just nodded stupidly as an answer to the boys question.

“I sit two seats behind you in Chemistry and you don’t know my name?” He sounded hurt which in turn made Sehun feel guilty.

“I don’t pay very good attention,” Sehun said looking down at his feet in shame. It wasn’t the truth. Sehun knew the names of everyone in all his classes. Well almost everyone apparently.

“Luhan,” The boy said after a beat. “My name’s Luhan. I hope you remember it this time,” Luhan said before turning and quickly walking away from Sehun.

Sehun stared after him for a moment. Then glancing down at his watch he took off toward campus. Yixing was going to be so pissed at him.

-

A few days later Sehun was in Chemistry class staring intently at the door. He was waiting for Luhan to arrive.

After the whole running into Luhan incident Sehun couldn’t get him out his mind. There was something about Luhan that had made Sehun’s heart skip not one beat but many beats. Sehun had never had that reaction to anyone like that before.

“What are you staring at the door for?” Yixing asked tiredly. Yixing was currently half-asleep with his head on the desktop. His black hair was haloed around his head and his eyes were half shut.

“Nothing,” Sehun said defensively.

“Sure,” Yixing said shutting his eyes completely. “I actually don’t care though,” Yixing added after a beat.

Sehun went back to watching the door. Luhan would have to get here soon for class started in only five short minutes.

As the seconds ticked by Sehun became apprehensive. He watched the door without looking away. Then the teacher came in and shut the door behind him. But not before Luhan dashed into the room and ran to his seat.

Luhan didn’t even glance at Sehun as he passed by his desk to go to his own. Sehun’s spirit dropped.

-

Class seemed to take forever that day. Sehun was trying his hardest to pay attention and take notes like a good student, even Yixing was wide awake and doing his duty as a good student, but Sehun couldn’t shake the feeling that Luhan was watching him the whole time.

It was probably just him being stupid but he could swear eyes were on the back of his head the whole time.

When the professor finally released them Sehun exhaled all the air from his lungs. He hadn’t been aware he was even holding his breath until then.

“That was so boring,” Sehun whined laying his head on the desk.

Yixing laughed lightly. “It’s the same as always,” he said. “ You wanna get some coffee?”

Sehun perked right up at the mention of coffee. Sehun risked a quick peek toward Luhan’s desk knowing he was still back there. Sehun had an idea.

Luhan was staring right at him. Sehun swallowed hard and then conjured up a smile. He waved to Luhan inviting him down. Sehun wasn’t sure who was controlling his body but he could swear it wasn’t himself.

Luhan got up from his desk and made his way down towards Sehun and Yixing. He stopped a foot away from the two of them making the three points of a triangle.

“Hello,” Sehun said to him. “Want to come grab a coffee with us?”

Out of the corner of his eye Sehun could see Yixing’s eyes widen in surprise. Sehun had never invited anyone to do anything with him. Ever.

Luhan nodded. “I can’t hangout long though,” Luhan said.

Sehun nodded. Then the three of them headed out of the classroom towards the campus coffee shop.

-

“Why’d you invite him?” Yixing whispered to Sehun as they stood in line to get coffee. Luhan had said he needed to use the bathroom so the two of them were alone.

“I don’t know,” Sehun said.

Yixing scoffed. “Seriously Sehun?”

Sehun nodded. “I just did it without thinking,” Sehun said, the words sounded so dumb when he said them out loud.

Yixing rolled his eyes. “Do you have a thing for him or something?”

Sehun’s face reddened.

Yixing’s face lit up. “Oh my god, you do. You like him!”

Sehun punched Yixing in the arm. Hard.

“What are you guys talking about?” Luhan’s soft voice said from behind them.

Sehun jumped in his surprise. It was like Luhan had appeared out of thin air. “Nothing,” Sehun said giving Yixing a look that said to shut the hell up.

Yixing grinned as he looked back and forth between Sehun and Luhan.

They ordered their coffees and sat down in a booth near the front window.

“So Luhan what’s your major?” Yixing asked not keeping the conversation light at all. Sehun expected nothing less from Yixing.

Luhan sipped at his coffee then hesitated.

Sehun cut in. “You don’t have to tell us if you don’t want,” he said. “I’m majoring in psychology myself though,”

Luhan shook his head. “No, it’s fine. It’s just most people judge me and ask why I would want to major in that.”

Yixing took a sip of his coffee and then set it down on the table. “What is it?” Genuine curiosity shone in his eyes.

“I study fears, it’s a psychology major” Luhan said.

Sehun felt all the blood drain from his face.

“Holy ,” Yixing said. “What coincidence. Sehun is scared less of the dark,” Yixing was barking with laughter now.

“Really?” Luhan asked.

Sehun nodded.

“He can’t even sleep without the room in complete brightness he’s so scared,” Yixing said.

Sehun glared at his so called best friend. “Shut up Yixing,” Sehun warned. He wasn’t joking around with Yixing this time. Sehun’s fear of the dark was a very sensitive topic to him. Beside his own parents and Yixing no one knew about his fear. Unless Yixing had told more people.

“Come on Sehun,” Yixing said as his laughter died down. “Don’t you find it a little ironic?”

“What’s ironic?” Luhan asked sounding a little confused.

Sehun glared at Yixing who was trying in vain to keep his laughter inside. If Sehun were to be honest, then yes he would say it was ironic.

Luhan pulled out his phone for a second and looked down at it. Fear filled his features. “I have to go,” He said hastily getting up from his seat.

He started to move away. Sehun’s impulses took over immediately. Sehun got up and followed Luhan until they were outside, away from Yixing, and then he grabbed onto Luhan’s arm.

“When can I see you again?” Sehun asked being more forward than he has ever been with another person, besides Yixing.

Luhan smiled sadly. “I have a really busy schedule,”

Sehun felt like he had been punched in the stomach. Is this Luhan’s way of saying he doesn’t want to hang out with him again without hurting him too bad?

“Oh,” Sehun said in defeat.

Luhan looked torn for a moment then, “Give me your number. I’ll call you when I’m free.”

Sehun recited his number as Luhan typed it into his contacts.

“You’ll call right?” Sehun asked sounding somewhat pathetic and very much desperate.

Luhan nodded and smiled. “When I’m free we’ll hangout.” Luhan said matter-of-factly.

Sehun couldn’t help but smile. “I look forward to it,”

Luhan nodded, turned, and began to quickly walk away.

“Wow,” Yixing said from behind Sehun. “Way to go get em,”

Sehun turned and punched Yixing in the stomach. “I hate you,” Sehun said but he was still smiling.

-

Sehun waited and waited for Luhan to call. His phone was always charging and never out of his sight. That didn’t change the fact that weeks passed and Luhan still didn’t call. Could someone really be that busy? Sehun saw Luhan in chemistry two times a week but Luhan hadn’t said much. He rushed into the room when class started and rushed out of the room when class ended. The most they spoke to each other was a quick hello.

Sehun was starting to feel as if Luhan didn’t want to actually hang out with him at all. Maybe asking for his number was just a way to appease Sehun.

Sehun shook his head. No, Luhan had seemed genuine when he said he would call.

-

It wasn’t until a full month after Sehun gave Luhan his number did Luhan finally call.

Sehun was so giddy when the unknown number popped up on his screen he almost started laughing like a maniac.

“Hello?” Sehun said calming down and making himself sound normal, like he hadn’t been waiting a whole month for that particular call.

“Sehun?” Luhan sounded unsure.

“Yeah it’s me,”

“What’re you doing tonight?”

“I was just going to get a few drinks with Yixing,” Sehun said.

“Do you mind if I come along?”

Sehun smiled. “I’ll pick you up at nine,” Sehun said.

“No,” Luhan immediately said. “I can uh, meet you at the bar. Which bar are you going to?”

“Fair Mound pub,” Sehun said smoothly. “You know? Right off campus?”

“Mmhmm,” Luhan said. “See you at nine,”

They hung up and Sehun was flying high. Even though he lied about getting a few drinks with Yixing but that didn’t matter, he would just tell Luhan Yixing wasn’t feeling good. Cliche but it usually worked.

Sehun checked his watch. He had three hours before meeting Luhan. Sehun knew the hours were going to crawl by. It was going to feel like days before nine rolled around.

-

After their first date, well it wasn’t technically a date, Sehun and Luhan started seeing each other regularly. Luhan had made time for Sehun instead of letting his busy schedule dictate his life. At first they would hang out chat about school, about themselves and get to know one another. But then slowly something began to change. Luhan, whom Sehun was sure didn’t have feelings like that for him, started to act a little bit different. He would find excuses to touch Sehun.

This thrilled Sehun and when they finally took a step they couldn’t come back from Sehun found it was better than he imagined.

They were at a bar, not really drunk but getting there. The bar wasn’t crowded only a few people besides themselves talking over beers. Luhan and Sehun were sitting at a table in the back corner when it happened. Luhan made the first move. He leaned over slowly, very slowly, maybe he was unsure, and then said, “I want to try something,”

Sehun let Luhan move in the rest of the way, close the distance between them, and press his lips to Sehun’s. The kiss was light just slight contact. Then Luhan pulled away.

Sehun’s heart was racing, his stomach was filled with jittery nerves, and his skin tingled. It was like he snorted some sort of drug and was riding a nice pleasant high. Sehun thought that his reaction was strange. Their lips had barely touched and yet he was on the precipice.

Sehun and Luhan had stared at each other afterward neither knowing what to say. Sehun himself wanted more wanted to really taste Luhan. He didn’t do that. He didn’t want to push Luhan or himself into anything too quickly.

The weeks began to breeze by in a blur after the kind of kiss. Sehun only did two things in the weeks that followed. Study and be with Luhan. Whatever it was that was developing between the two of them, it was intense. Even with only kissing once Sehun was sure.

He was falling in love with Luhan.

-

Sehun laid in bed the night before Sehun planned to confess the depths of his feelings to Luhan. He had planned to take him to a nice place for dinner and then confess afterwards. Sehun was planning on kissing Luhan too, if he didn’t reject him.

Sehun’s room was brightly lit and he was staring up at the ceiling. He could hear Yixing snoring in the room next to him but ignored it. He was used to the sound any way.

It was half past twelve and Sehun was already nervous.

Sehun closed his eyes for a second. That’s all it took.

He was cast into darkness instantly.

Sehun frantically felt around on his nightstand for his phone. He clutched it hard and turned it on. The screen lit up a small area around him but it wasn’t enough.

Sehun could still hear Yixing snoring next door.

Sehun was on the verge of panic. His skin was slick with sweat and his heart was racing.

“Sehun…”

No, No, No, not now please, Sehun thought squeezing his eyes shut.

“It’s time now,”

Something smashed against the ground near Sehun’s right side. He instinctively flinched away from the sound.

“Stop!” Sehun half yelled half cried. He was too scared to really give the words any power. “Go away,” Sehun whimpered.

“I’ve waited for this moment for 15 years,” The disembodied whisper said.

The temperature in the room plummeted. Sehun felt like he was plunged into ice cold water. Sehun shined the light from his phone around the room but it didn’t do much. It only lit up maybe two or three feet in front of him.

“Who are you?” Sehun asked.

“Who am I?” An evil sounding cackle filled the room. “I’m your destiny,” The voice lowered making it sound even more menacing.

“Sehun?” Yixing had opened the door and was holding his own phone out for light. “The power’s out are you alright?”

“He’s quite fine,” The voice said.

Yixing shined his light into the darkness along with Sehun’s.

That’s when Sehun saw it or maybe he should say him. It was a person, a man, no older than Sehun himself. Sehun only caught a glimpse before he disappeared. He didn’t get a very good look at all, just enough to tell the it was a male.

The voice, the man, went right for Yixing. Sehun only knew because Yixing’s cell phone went flying across the room. There was a loud bang and the sound of Yixing grunting in pain. Another loud bang and there was complete silence.

“What do you want with me?” Sehun said trying to build his courage up. He didn’t know where Yixing was now, if he was dead or just knocked out, but he couldn’t let anymore fear show in his voice.

“Hmmm, I want you.”

Sehun didn’t think he could feel any colder than he did right then.

“I want you. I want you. I want you. I want you.” The man said sounding utterly insane.

Sehun was more freaked than he had been in all his life but he had to do something. The only plan he would think of was a foolish one but he had to at least try.

“You can have me,” Sehun said warily. “But only if you show yourself to me,”

Silence stretched between Sehun and the unknown.

Click

Light flooded the room leaving Sehun temporarily blinded. When Sehun’s eyes adjusted to the light he stared a the person in front of him.

“Oh god,” Sehun said. He had the sudden urge to lean over the side of his bed and vomit. “Why?” he croaked.

The evil entity within the darkness, or so Sehun thought it was all these years, stepped forward. “Because I love you,” Luhan said in his normal voice.

“You’ve been doing this to me for my whole life because you loved me?” Sehun asked incredulous.

Luhan nodded. “Sehun, I need you to come back with me.”

Sehun shook his head. “I’m not going anywhere with you,”

Rage filled Luhan’s eyes. “I put myself out there,” Luhan pointed toward the wall. “Into that despicable human world for you and you’re going to turn me down?”

Sehun wanted to run but he couldn’t. “Why?” he asked again letting all the hurt he felt fill his voice.

“You are what I desire most Sehun and what I desire I get. I waited until you were old enough to handle it, to be able to love me back. To want the same things as me.”

Sehun choked back a sob. “I thought I loved you Luhan. But I was wrong, so very, very wrong. I could never love someone who made me afraid of the dark for my whole life. You’re evil.”

Luhan’s eyes were burning. Sehun was terrified of what he might do to him but still didn’t get up from his bed nor did he back down.

Luhan took a step forward. “Come with me please Sehun,” He sounded so small and so sad. “I won’t be so lonely with you there with me.”

Sehun almost said yes. But he couldn’t. It didn’t matter how much he thought he had loved Luhan. He didn’t. Luhan deceived him.

“If you don’t willingly come. I’ll force you,” Luhan snarled. Luhan started toward Sehun and was at the end of his bed in three steps. “I will make you my slave for the rest of eternity, and trust me,” Luhan smiled wickedly. “You don’t want that to happen.”

“Get away from him you bastard,” Yixing sneered.

Sehun’s head whipped toward the hall where Yixing’s voice came from. Yixing limped into the room, blood smeared on his face and arms.

Luhan looked at Yixing and smirked. Then with lightning quick speed Luhan was across the room holding Yixing by his throat and squeezing.

“Come with me or your friend dies.” Luhan said evilly.

Sehun cried then. Yixing’s life was slowly leaving as Luhan added more pressure. Sehun couldn’t let Yixing die.

“I’ll go with you,” Sehun’s voice was shaky but his words did the trick. Luhan dropped Yixing, who collapsed onto the floor in a heap, and crossed the room to Sehun.

Luhan leaned in close to Sehun “I love you,” Luhan whispered against the shell of his ear. “You’re mine now,” Luhan reached out and put his hand around Sehun’s throat. He squeezed tightly. Then in an absurd act Luhan pressed his lips against Sehun’s. This time Luhan really kissed him.

Sehun fought it at first but then slowly as the breath left his lungs, life also left his body.

Sehun’s world faded to black but he knew it wasn’t over. Luhan wouldn’t just kill him.

Luhan was taking him to hell.