Prologue

Where the Light Dies

Sehun didn’t think there could be anything in the world worse than darkness. Even as a baby he would wail and cry until his throat was raw if it was too dark. His parents didn’t know what was wrong with him, why he was so afraid that even a night-light wouldn’t suffice. His parents didn’t think too much of it. They bought him a small lamp to put near his crib to ease him of his fears.

The lamp worked for the most part but sometimes, in the middle of the night, Sehun would wake up and stare into a darkened corner of the room and begin to cry. His mother consoled him and sang him a sweet, soft song until he was sleepy enough to fall back asleep.

As Sehun grew from baby into toddler, his parents had assumed his fear would ebb away as he matured, but they had been wrong. So very wrong.

Sehun’s fear of the dark, over the years, became worse.

His father was sure that something was wrong upstairs with his brain. He had convinced his wife to take Sehun to a child psychologist. Sehun’s mother had reluctantly agreed even though she was still sure he would outgrow his fear.

After the first few sessions with the psychologist Sehun seemed happier. The psychologist was gentle with Sehun, never pushing him too far, and she had found that Sehun’s fear of the dark was something he was born with. She had assured Sehun’s parents that with time and with the right treatments Sehun would be able to sleep with the ceiling light off.

Treatments for Sehun had started the very next week with his parents approval. The psychologist warned that the treatment would require Sehun to face his fear head on.

Sehun’s mother was not alright with the treatment. “He’s going to be worse than he was before,” She had said to Sehun’s father.

The treatments proceeded even when his mother begged them not to do it. The psychologist said, “It’s the only way to help your son Mrs. Oh. Don’t you want him to live a happy normal life?” Sehun’s mother couldn’t argue with that. She let them go ahead with the treatments.

The treatment they had in mind for Sehun was just to put him into a bedroom and slowly dim the lights until he was shrouded in darkness.

The first time they had done it was also the last because something inexplicably eerie happened when the lights switched off.

“Now Sehun be a good boy and lie down on the bed, yes like that, as if you were about to go to sleep,” the psychologist told Sehun through and intercom that had been set up in the room.

Sehun laid down on his back on the bed, which was not very comfortable at all.

“Yes good. Now I’m going to dim the lights a little, take a deep breath,”

Sehun inhaled deeply and tried to calm his nerves. It didn’t calm him at all though. He wanted his Mama to come and sing to him, to make him feel better.

The lights dimmed and Sehun grabbed onto the blanket balling it into his tiny fist. A few seconds passed and it didn’t get any darker. Sehun calmed a little letting go of the blanket and relaxing his tense body.

“Good job Sehun. That wasn’t so bad right?” Sehun nodded. “Now I’m going to turn the lights down a little more. Don’t panic.”

Sehun squeezed his eyes shut as the light dimmed even more. He started to breathe heavier but he was still mostly calm.

“You’re doing great Sehun. Now I’m going to turn the lights off completely. Take a nice deep breath and stay calm and relaxed.”

Sehun’s body tensed at the words coming into the room. He was scared now and there was no way he was going to keep calm in the dark. “No,” Sehun cried out as the lights began to dim. “Please stop!” Sehun was crying now, big fat tears rolled down his cheeks and wetted his shirt. “Don’t do this to me!” he cried out in both fear and agony.

The psychologist felt guilt welt up inside herself but still continued the treatment. She turned down the lights until they were completely off. The room was pitch black.

Sehun sat on the bed in the darkness. His fear had stopped his tears and all other movement. His body was rigid. Sehun didn’t move an inch, was barely even breathing besides short shallow gasps.

Sehun broke out into a cold sweat as he felt the darkness swelling, overwhelming him. His mind was trying to convince him that there was something there with him, something evil. Even though his mother had told him a million times that there wasn’t anything to be afraid of in the dark he still feared it. Sehun still believed there was something lurking within the darkness.

As silence burned his ears Sehun heard it, he always did when there was little to no light around. It was just a whisper floating into the room on a breeze but it was the scariest thing Sehun knew.

“Sehun,” The whisper said in a cool voice. “I’m coming for you. I’m coming for you soon, in the darkness. I’m going to kill you… You’re all mine.”

A full two minutes passed after the whisper left. Sehun finally began to cry again. There was no light to save him here and he knew it. Sehun knew that the whisper was not his imagination. It was real.

Sehun sat there paralyzed for what felt like millennia before the lights slowly came back on.

Sehun’s mother rushed into the room and scooped him up into her arms. “You’re okay,” She murmured. Sehun’s mother fled from the treatment room and stood in the hall. She comforted him with kisses and singing until his father came out of the waiting room and found them.

“We’re not doing this ever again,” Sehun’s mother spat at the psychologist as she walked  down the brightly lit hall toward them.

The psychologist wasn’t going to argue with them. Not after what she had heard coming from the treatment room. She almost didn’t believe it herself.

“I’m sorry,” She said. “It was much too soon,” It was a lie. The psychologist had no idea how to deal with the situation so she simply said. “Sehun needs someone more experienced. I can refer you to someone.”

Sehun’s mother gaped but said nothing. Sehun’s father nudged her toward the door and the three of them left never to return again.

Sehun’s fear of the dark remained. His parents adjusted his room to be better lit and helped him along the way. Sehun’s mother was still sure that Sehun would outgrow his fear. But he never did.