3 Days to Forever

3 Days to Forever

 

For once, i like a brightly lit room.

I get to watch closely his serene face, shone by sunshine—breaking through the white thin curtain. I can feel my heart falling for him yet again. Breathing through his slightly open pouty lips, i see those eyelids slowly flutter open, revealing two beautiful dark brown orbs behind it. Subconsciously, the corners of my lips lift up seeing him frowning on his eyebrows, scrunching his nose and stretching his arms up. He flips himself to the right, lying flat on the bed. Blinking twice—adjusting the brightness on his sight, he shifts his gaze towards me.

“Junghyuk… What are you doing in my bedroom?” His voice sounds hoarse, yet so y. It is always like that after he wakes up.

Sitting up on beige coloured bed sheets, he immediately brings his palm to his head. Probably having a massive hangover. Prepped up with my palm on my chin and my elbow beside him, I look at him intently. I have to say, even his profile side looks heavenly. I wonder it’s all because of gentle sunlight that serves as the backdrop.

“Oh God, my head feels like it’s going to explode anytime soon.” He said with a slur. “Go get me an aspirin.”

Having the meds and water ready on the bedside table—knowing he’ll be having a huge hangover, i easily reach out and grab it for him. “You could’ve said please. Here.” Mumbling a thanks, he takes the tablet with ease.

“Why are you here again? I thought i have specifically said not to enter my bedroom without my permission, even when i was drunk.” He gives away a glare at me. I almost forgot that his personality could be quite annoying after waking up. Not to mention that nagging mouth becomes 10x chattier and sharper. “And why my room so bright?”

Unbeknownst to him, i let out my widest grin, “That’s because this isn’t your room.”

“Wha…?” Probably shadowed by massive headache, his mind isn’t quite picking up the details yet. Seconds later, his eyes start to roam across the room. His eyes are the size of a saucer plate. The room is filled, yet again, with silence. Very faintly, sounds of the seagulls and waves seep into the room. Turning his head to the side, he looks beyond the curtain. Ignoring his headache, he marches towards it, spreads away the large cloth and stands frozen on spacious balcony.

Slowly, i get down from the bed as well, following him there. I walk passed him and lean my arms on the white wooden handrail. Feeling the cool breeze on my cheek, i turn my head to his shocked visage. For once, i feel proud to counter his nagging, rendering him speechless. “Beautiful, isn’t it?” It’s a rhetorical question, i’m sure he knows. “You’ve always said that you wanted to go here. And so, i bring you here.”

With his face still looking shock and gaze unblinking upon the blue horizon, he spills out his curiosity. “Where is… Here?”

Shifting my sight from his porcelain face to the vast turquoise ocean and cloudless broad light blue sky, i sense the excitement already to see his reaction towards my answer.

“The Exumas, Islands of The Bahamas.”

 


 

Gripping the steering wheel triumphantly, i drive across the empty road toward the town. Upbeat funk, jazz and R&B melody drifts out from the CD player installed in the car. With open roof car, the afternoon tropical sunlight feel almost burning my skin off. Yet chills and breeze swept the heat away as i lightly accelerate. There no other cars on the road and my schedule for the day is coming a little bit tight since we go out quite much later than i expected.

Meanwhile, he is on the passenger seat with buffed up cheek and pouty lips. Arms resting on the window pane, dangling out. Clearly, he’s still annoyed on the fact i have brought him to his dream vacation place, Exuma. And i don’t exactly understand why.

“Frowning like that won’t do any good to your skin, Pilgyo-ah.”

“Well, who do you think is responsible for it?!” He counters with much annoyance laced with his tone of voice. Moreover, he still doesn’t want to look at me. Ever since i told him we were in The Exumas—which i could safely said, it has one of the most crystal-clear beach of all beaches across the globe, his temperament mounts up. The first thing he said was, “What the f**k, Junghyuk?!” And after that, the rest is history. Well, at least for the furniture that is, I think as a heavy sigh slips from his mouth yet again. I really thought he would be overjoyed and spazzed over the fact that he’s here. I even had imagined that he will be so happy that he would kiss me full on the lips. But all i got back there is 2cm-closer-to-your-face-with-a-flying-chair ride.

“Why do you become so hateful?” I mumbles as i turn the steer to the left. Apparently, i mumble it too loud.

“Hateful? Yah!”

I feel a huge slap on the back of my head. For three seconds, i lost the grip to my steering wheel and immediately stop the car near the side road. “Yaaah! Don’t hit me while i’m driving! Are you crazy?! Do you wanna die?!”

“That should be my line! Why the hell did you bring me here in times like this?!” He scream louder, obviously doesn’t wanna lose to mine.

“Exactly because in times like this, i bring you here! Be grateful that i’m that nice to you because i’m not doing this for just anybody!” He can’t give any dispute to my shouting, probably because he knows that i’m right. I’m always right anyway. “And don’t hit me or trash my furnitures again!”

His eyebrows lift in interest, “Your furnitures? Huh! It wasn’t even your villa.” He mumbles the last part while gazing the other way. I starts my car’s engine once again and drives away to today’s destinations. “It wasn’t a villa. It’s a private beach house. And it is mine.” I can see from the corner of my eyes, his eyes widened as his head turns toward my seat—so fast that i think the movement is almost seems robotic.
“Since when did you own a beach house here? Why didn’t i know about it?” he asks amusingly.

I just keep my poker face on, staring straight to the road upfront, little playful smirk blooming on my face, “Oh Jung Pilgyo, there are so many things of me that you don’t know about.”

After that, he keeps himself quiet through out the drive. I can sense he’s eyeing me from time to time. I bet my whole fortune that he’s overthinking my last sentence. What i say is true though. Even after 15 years together as an idol group, Shinhwa—well, almost 17 if you also count the time we spent as trainees, there are many things of me that him or other members don’t know about. Even my parents don’t know about it. Simply because i feel it’s too troublesome to share it. Some things are just meant to be kept by yourself.

About 10 minutes later, the drive comes to a stop as we reach the harbour. Without leaving any space for him to ask any questions, i lead us towards the nearest available water taxi. “Where are we going?”

“Getting a Lunner.” I simply say.

“Lunner?”

“Yup! Lunch-Dinner.”

He rolls his eyes away, “What kind of language is that? You think you can easily shorten it like brunch?”

Not minding his irritating reply, i continue to talk, “There’s this one restaurant bar on that island upfront, Stocking Island. It’s called Chat ’n Chill. Supposedly, they have the best bar selections and fresh custom grill seafoods with Atlantic Ocean as their backyard. Cool, isn’t it?”

A faint smile rose in his face as he looks at me. It isn’t his usual annoying smile, more like sincere smile. Very rare to see him smile that way. “That sounds nice.”

“You’re going to see the Atlantic Ocean, kids?” Elvis, boat captain of the water taxi, who apparently gets a snippet of our convo asks, “It’s quite late to go there, ya know?”

“We will be going there for a bit. It won’t be long.”

“Okay then. Just remember the last run of this water taxi is at 6 p.m. But of course i won’t leave ya if you’re late for 5 minutes.” He then laughs loudly. I laugh along just to be polite. I really hope he won’t leave us later evening.


The water taxi arriving just couple hundreds meters away from the bar, which gives us a short trip to get to Chat ’n Chill. The bar itself is quite big and spacious, made of grey wood. It almost looks like a huge hut instead of a bar. I see quite many are chilling around outside and inside the grey beach bar, but not too many to make a crowded full house. Since this month aren’t one of those vacations month, the island has less tourist lingering around. Deciding to seat and eat outside, we pick some fresh grill seafoods, Bahamian style mac ’n’ cheese, along with two cold Kalik—a very famous Bahamian brewed beer.

Eating seafood while accompanied by a gorgeous view of wide turquoise blue sea and green palms all over the beach up ahead makes me feel i finally get to feel a real relaxation. It feels much more as he seats, laughs cheerfully and eats deliciously in front of me. We get to talk some leisure topics. His mood is getting better and he’s getting chattier, in a positive way. It’s been quite a while since we had such a good time only just the two of us. Not wanting to be late for the schedule back to Great Exuma, i told him to finish his lunner while i pay the meal inside the bar.

Some hiking needs to be done to see the Atlantic Ocean. It isn’t extreme ones, but we sweat it out a bit. Fortunately, the access path to the beach is still open and the tide is still low. And for about half an hour later, North Atlantic Ocean is in front of our very own eyes. Stromalites all across the shore to the ocean. The water is much clearer than the ones in front of the bar that i begin to wonder if it’s made out of plain water or sea water. The sand is also much softer, engulfing the soles of my feet. The clear weather today makes it all a complete set of beautiful mother nature. My jaw is dropping until he calls my name, bringing my mind back to reality.

“Earth to Junghyuk! Hoi!” He waves his palm in front of my eyes. When he’s sure i’m on my right mind, he picks something out from his jeans pocket. ”Take a photo of me here!”

He s his iPhone to my palm before running towards the stromalites, standing in between them. His black hair swiftly swings as ocean breeze blows throughout the shore. Spreading his arms wide, he’s ready to take a photo. I pick the iPhone up, ready to take his picture with the blue ocean behind him. I see from the screen that his smile is really wide. And pretty. And i wish i could be the only one who can put that pretty smile on his face.


Click!

 


 

“Finally arrived!”

I sprawl on the couch as soon as i see it. We are just arrived back at my private beach house. The night is still young, given only little time used to go back from Stocking Island to Great Exuma with water taxi. We’re this close to stay the night in Stocking Island. We were late for 7 minutes from the original departure time that Elvis has set. But luckily, he hasn’t left us yet. I guess, beach combing around Atlantic Ocean could easily passes the time. Today was just a half-day trip, but it was quite exhausting. It’s an enjoyable exhaustions though.

“Hey, Junghyuk.”

I hear him calling my name softly. Lazily opening my left eye, i see he’s still in standing form. “Hmmm?” I hum back. He sighs heavily as he takes his seats on the couch across mine. “You still haven’t told me why you bring me here.”

Ugghh, that again. I cover my eyes with my arms, clearly not wanting to have this conversation again. “Yah, Junghyuk-ah!” He shouts while stomping his feet on the floor. He has been pestering me about it since we wander on Atlantic Ocean shore. It wasn’t annoying really. Of course he has the right to know why. I mean if i’m in Seoul one day than suddenly wake up in an island across the globe the next day, i have to know why. But i don’t want to answer it now. If i answer it, he’ll be angry and won’t talk to me until rest of the vacation days. I have planned my itinerary very thoroughly and there’s no way i’m going to let anything ruin it. Not even him.

I sit up and look at him straight in the eyes. “Do you trust me, Pilgyo-ah?” He seems taken aback with my question, but nevertheless he answers it, “Depends. I can’t trust you right now. Not when you won’t even tell me why you bring me here.”

“But you do trust me, don’t you?”

“You freaking transported me, in MY SLEEP, from Korea to Bahamas, without my consent! I don’t even know how you did it! It’s called kidnapping okay!” I can tell he is more curious about why and how, rather than angry.

“Jung Pilgyo, just trust me.”

For a moment, he observes me silently in a glance from top to bottom. “Fine. But i want to know how you transport me here. And you must answer it, now.” He says sternly. Smirking back at his face, i answer innocently. “Easy. Put a little bit something in your soju yesterday night, which made you pass out for the next 16 hours in my private jet.”

“You what?!”

 


 

The next morning comes quite fast. It feels like i’ve just shut my eyes off minutes ago then abruptly wake up, feeling more refreshed than ever. Glancing over my phone, it says 7.12 a.m. It doesn’t need a genius to know that he’s still in deep sleep inside the bedroom beside mine. Hence, i don’t check on him, afraid i’ll be waking him up. I stroll my way to the kitchen and begin to make breakfast to start the day. Unlike what others might think, i actually find some contentment and enjoyment in cooking. I like to cook. But the same as him, i hate doing the dishes. Thus, i seldom cook at home or even cook for my gang or family. As i finish baking the last waffles, i hear his voice coming in from outside the house. I wonder when did he wake up.

“You made all of this?”

I bring the last plate of waffles out and see him gawking over the breakfast i prepare on the table. He obviously never sees this side of mine. I never made breakfast for him before. Whenever we had a sleepover to each apartment, we would go grab something easy from convenience store or nearby small restaurant. Today is different. Since this is a private beach house, there were nothing like that around here. This place is solely made for relaxation with minimal contacts with outsiders, unless you drive all the way to the city.

“Morning Pilgyo! Come on! Sit here and eat.” I push him down the seat and return to my own seat. “I want to make something more than this, but with my limited knowledge, waffles is the only thing i could pull off nicely.”

He begins to lift his utensils and eat his waffles. “This is good. Not bad, Mun Junghyuk. I thought you can only cook ramyun.” I glared at him over his compliment—or is it his ignorance on the fact i actually cook much better than him. We eat our breakfast in silent, just enjoying each other’s company. Eating outside on the porch, we savour the morning ocean breeze and clear sky. I gaze at his smiling expressions from time to time while having his breakfast. I can tell he loves my cooking because he always smiles whenever he eats delicious meals. It appears he senses that i have gazed on him too much.

“What?” He asks with his fork and knife ready to cut the next piece of the waffles.

“Nothing. Just thinking that we really look like a newlywed couple on their first honeymoon morning.” I brightly answer. Which is a total big mistake because the next second, i could feel a murderous aura in front of me.

“You have a death wish, huh?” He glared with so much animosity that i’m sure i’m toast—like the waffles on my plate, with more burnt sides—if i don’t shift the topic. I don’t want to relieve last night’s event all over again. This is my second time in Exuma, but my cost for changing the furniture is three times bigger than all of my cost to get here. My plan to sleep together with him last night also went into the garbage bin as i didn’t want to die in a foreign land. If you know what i mean.

Thankfully, my brain works fast for this kind of situation. “Hahaha… Oh yeah, today we’re going to Thunderball Grotto.” His eyes changes drastically from evil to angelic child.

“Really?!” I nod as i chew away my waffles. He brings his two arms up in the air and shouts, “Mansae!!!” while returning to his seats excitingly, the chair almost fall backwards.

“Is it far from here?” He asks intriguingly.

“Very far. Which is why after breakfast, we head straight away to Staniel Cay.” Even before i finish my sentence, he is already in a hurry to finish his breakfast. He eats so fast he doesn’t care about the syrup smudges beside his lips. “Hey we aren’t in so much hurry. Take it easy.”

I get up from my seat, reaching out to his face. Too focused with his meal, he doesn’t aware i’m closing in on him. “Of course we need to hurry. Even though the sky in clear now, you never kn…”
I bring his chin up and that smudges on his soft cheek. Not satisfied with just a on his cheek, i bring my lips onto his and start to nip his upper lips. I push my lips forward very lightly, kissing his full on the lips. Sweet taste of maple honey sips into my mouth. It tastes really nice. Heavenly. Breaking the kiss away, i my lips almost seductively at him. Meanwhile, he is stoned in his seat with his eyes so wide looking back at me. As his mind finally progresses what just happened, his body jolts and his cheek is as red as the strawberry piece on his plate.

He doesn’t say anything else and keep on eating his breakfast in fast speed. Amazingly, he doesn’t get choked. Here i’m just chuckling over his cute reaction towards my sudden swift impromptu kiss. Despite being together for 5 years—yes, together as in ‘lovers’ together, i seldom get all lovey-dovey with him. For us, becoming lovers doesn’t mean we always need to have skin-ships. For us, we are more comfortable just by treating each other like a friend than a lover.


We seldom hold hands, hugs, or even kisses—On Camera skin-ships aren’t included because those are fan services. Don’t even ask about our . But when we do, it just goes naturally for me. It’s just so happen in the right time and in the right place. As for him, it always seems awkward no matter what we do. He never get angry for any of my approaches though. He would just get frozen and move on, with that cute blushing face. The fact is he likes this rare and sudden ‘behaviour’ of mine. Once he shyly confessed, this way, every touch, every hug and every kiss seems more precious than ever. First time i ever 100% fully agree with him on that part.

But because of this, there are many misunderstanding as well. We treat each other like friends, and yet our communications aren’t like one. Seems like our thoughts aren’t reading on the same page, repeatedly. Even until now.

 


 

Having a clear weather today is a big advantage to see this beautiful piece of nature. Thunderball Grotto is an island just outside Staniel Cay, which now has become the most gorgeous and exciting snorkelling destination in Bahamas. It was also the place where James Bond’s movie filming, Thunderball & Never Say Never Again, took place. This is why we are so excited to explore the place. Ever since we watched the movies, both of us has been pinning this place as our number 1 spot in our ‘most-wanted-vacation-destination’ list. It took us almost a couple of hours to fly to Thunderball Grotto from Great Exuma. Yes, fly. It’s a great thing having a private pilot as a close acquaintance. Another great thing is getting a free roundtrip ride—or should i say, fly—to this island and back to Great Exuma.

From outside, Thunderball Grotto looks just like a small, plain and abandoned-looking rocks island. From inside, Thunderball Grotto is like a swiss cheese. Jake, our guide throughout snorkelling experience, explains that Thunderball Grotto is like a hollow island with so many holes going through it. There are several entrances for people to get into the cavern inside it. Many of the tunnels are underwater, thus at times we need to hold our breath to get from one tunnel opening to end of the tunnel. At first it’s quite scary because the entrance to the cave was dark. As we keep swimming through, we are feasted with bursts of sunbeams lighting through the holes of the ceiling, all the way to the water. Hundreds of colourful fish and corals fills the cavern along side the rays of light that dance along the crystal clear water. The water is so warm and so clear that every bit of its underwater beauty is very visible. This must be what it feels like to swim inside our own life size aquarium.

Seizing the chance of a lifetime, we ask Jake to take several photos of us underwater. After a while, he borrows the camera from Jake to take photos of the nature underwater. I suppose he wants to take everything, from the little fishes besides the small corals until the water itself. Yups, he take photos of the sea water inside the sea water. That frame probably only has dark dull blue colour frame when it is printed out.

After snorkelling for quite sometime, both of us are back in the middle chamber. Seems like Jake has some appointment to do. Before going back first to the surface, we ask him to take photos of us again. Sensing we still want to documented everything down to the very last details, Jake then entrusts the camera to us before leaving. We hang around for a while on the cave. He’s still hook with taking pictures. His mood is really in great shape that he offers for both of us to take selca together. I can’t even remember he ever ask first to anyone to take selca together. Seems i’m a special case, for today anyway. Nonetheless, i’m special.

“The cave is so green. I feel healthy already.” He says slowly while the cave emits a small echo to his voice.

“The cave is quite full of moulds, but i guess this water play the part as well. It’s so crystal blue that it reflected to the ceilings.”

“Yeah.”

The cave is surmounted by silence. Even less people are here today. All of them are on the other opening tunnels, hence we are the only people here. I look at him standing idly while looking towards the sky from the giant hole on the cave. For a moment, i’m stunned over his refine profile. From the beginning, i’m not one to fall for someone over looks, especially not him. But his gorgeous look can get me fall for him over and over again. At one time, i even feel like i want to possess him, lock him up and just have him all to myself.

Nonchalantly, i walk toward where he stands. I softly swipe away his wet hair from his cheek to get his attention. And when he does, i move my palm on the back of his head. Bringing him up slightly, i cover his lips with mine faster than his mind can process. Unlike this morning’s slow and sweet kiss, this time is more desperate and passionate. I taste the saltiness of the sea that engulfs our kiss. He holds my arm with his left hand, tightening it as i push my lips deeper onto him.  Wanting to go further, i his bottom lips for permission to part his lips. He parts his sweet lips easily while i immediately force my way into his hot cavern, exploring it with my tongue. Our breath mingle, our tongues battle, our arms pull each other closer in embrace. I try to deepen our kiss in each second, which i don’t think it’s possible any longer as i feel him thumps his palm on my chest. That’s when i realize, we still need to breath.

I let go of his lips and he immediately in the fresh ocean breeze that lingers in the cave for some times. His cheek is back to its blushing state. My arms are still clinging to his waist, while his arms are still on top of my shoulder and chest. I pull his body closer, erasing the gap in between. As he lifts his face, i steal a quick kiss on his lips. He rapidly diverts his eyes away.

“W-what are you doing?”

“Kissing you of course.” I answer as a matter-of-fact-ly.

“You’re becoming too conceited.” He mumbles low—facing away to hide his cute blush, but i still can hear it very clear.

I bring my lips beside his ear and whisper, “I just want to kiss you. And i still want more.” Yes, as simple as that. I just want to kiss him, again and again, feeling myself up with his warm lips. Until my kisses are imprinted inside his mind. Until both of us melt away with it. Just like that, i kiss him all over again, with rays of sunlight upon us, inside the surreal green cave of Thunderball Grotto.

 


 

As the day goes by, very fast if i might add, we fly back to Great Exuma. More specifically, to the capital and largest district in Great Exuma, Georgetown. A festival is happening here for the next 3 days. The Bahamian Music & Heritage Festival. Many stalls and shops are open during the festival in Regatta Park. Nearby restaurants and bars present many types of Bahamian cuisine. Since it’s also about heritage, there is a heritage corner where people can see and learn the highlights of Bahamian’s histories. And over those three days, an awesome line-up of the most popular local and national musicians are invited to perform every night on the big stage. It’s the most popular festival in town.

Since we are here right now, i think this is the chance to enjoy the musics and foods. Meanwhile, we might gain some ideas for our own musics in the future. Like killing two birds with one stone. After arriving in a private plane runway, which is not far away from Georgetown city, i drive us directly to Regatta Park. The atmosphere is 180 degrees different than Thunderball Grotto. Many people have come together for the music stage tonight. Hectic crowd fills the food and drinks stalls around the park. Some families—foreigners or locals—are occupying the arts and crafts stalls as they buy some memorabilia to take back home.

We take our time slowly having a stroll to each stall that grab our interests. The bar stalls definitely in one of our interests as we both like to drink. Of course we like to taste something new as well, so we surf the food and beverages stalls more than the arts and crafts. The performance on the main stage is about to begin. Since the stage was big enough to see from afar, we stand at the very back—-still with foods on our hands. I suppose, both of us are getting hungrier after spending our day snorkelling.

When the show has started half way, he starts to pester me again with questions. “When will we be going home?”

“Tomorrow night.” I answer indifferently while eating.

“What?! I have an appointment tomorrow night, Junghyuk-ah. You know it.”

“That’s why i deliberately plan us to go back that time.”

Picking up my annoyed tone, he stands facing toward me. “Is that what all this is about? I thought we’ve talked about this, Junghyuk-ah. It was just an arranged meeting. It doesn’t mean i’m really going to marry her.” He tries to tone down his tone of voice, but still laced with curiosity. “Just be honest with me. Why did you bring me here? If it’s just to stop me from going to the arranged meeting, my mom can move the date away on another day. It won’t stop her from making me go to this kind of event.”

“Exactly!” My tone obviously rises with annoyance, “Exactly that, Jung Pilgyo. The thing isn’t about your mom. It’s about you!”

“Wha… What do you mean? You think… You think i’m the one who’s wrong in here? You think i want to go to that meeting?!”

Sensing both of our anger piles up, i clutch his hands and hurriedly walk to the car. I let him get into the passenger seat. After that, i drive us back to the beach house. It’s more private there to have ‘the talk’. This is exactly why i don’t want to answer his questions. He always jumps into conclusions too fast and easily misunderstand everything. I certainly didn’t bring us here just to fight over this petty problems. Driving as fast as i could, i mentally pray that the road to the beach house is not packed with other cars.

He keeps silent throughout the journey back home. Seems like he knows it’s best to talk about it later—not while i’m speeding my way through the road. The trip seems longer than before since we keep ourselves quiet along the way. After what it feels like hours-long trip, which in reality it’s only about 30 minutes, we finally arrive back at the beach house.

Pacing my way to the living room, i try to calm my mind before i explain everything to him. Yet before my mind is ready, he puts out that questions again, “Why did you bring me here, Mun Junghyuk?” I slowly turn my body facing him. I answer him with another questions of mine. “Do you remember what you said to me a week ago? We were talking about whether you take your mother’s word to go to meeting or not. We were also drinking heavily, so i presume you didn’t remember.”

I can see confusions flash before his dark brown orbs, “I don’t. What did i say?”

“That you won’t go to that arranged meeting.” His colour suddenly get paler and his body twitches for a second. “You said it in your drunken state, it’s no need for you to go to that meeting because you have no plan to marry the girl. And that all you need is me.”

‘Why do i have to go to meet some girl i don’t even want to know? I don’t even plan to get married. What i really need is not marriage. I only need you by my side. Forever.’

I still remember his slurred low voice when he said that. He said it earnestly while leaning his head on my shoulder. He tends to be cheesier when he’s drunk, more skin-ships as well. Frankly speaking, he’s more honest when he’s drunk than not. Many times i believe him more in his drunken state than not. But this time, his actions really throw me off the loop.

“But suddenly, you changed your mind the next day and accept your mother’s offer to go to the meeting.” I say with a slight hurt feeling.

“That’s because my mom ask me—”

“Remember when you really refused to even look at the candidates photos at first, and then, again, on the next day you told me you had a look at it? You use the same reason, your mother made you do it. If this keeps up, you’ll end up really getting married because you only follow your mother’s requests, Pilgyo-ah.” I tell him sternly, but still trying to keep my voice as it is. I really don’t want us to fight over this.

“That’s not fair.” His lips quiver as he continues, “That is really not fair to put the blame on me. I just want to make her stop nagging me about everything. And i see agreeing to her offer is the best way to it.” Standing still in front of the main door, he counters back at me. He fists his palms, resting it besides his body. I sense he feels i’m not trusting him as much as him. That is not the case though.

I walk across the living room and stand before him. Wrecking my brain, i search a better way to put it into words and make him realize. “Look Pilgyo-ah. Look at me.” With furrows between his eyebrows, he lifts his eyes up. “I’m not putting the blame on you. You just need to know, your mother is really serious about this. And i know you are serious about not wanting to go to the meeting. But you need to be honest with her. She keeps nagging at you because you’re not making a definite decision about this whole ordeal. If you really want to reject that offer, then you need to give her a good enough reason, instead of agreeing just for the sake of stopping her. You really need to show her, that you are also serious about your choice.”

His furrows are getting deeper as he listens at my explanations. “A good enough reason. I… I don’t  think i have any.”

My eyes widen over his responds. “What are you talking about?! Of course you have! You have me!”

“You?”

“Yes, me! I think it’s time for our families to know about us, don’t you think? They did keep nagging on and on about when are we going to get a girlfriend, when are we gonna get married and so on.”

I think i just see his mind goes blank for a while. Until he reacts to my sentences. “Telling them?! About us?! No. No. No. Definitely a big NO!” He objects it with much tenacity while shaking his head so hard.

“Are you that ashamed of me being your boyfriend?” I ask with a glare directed to him.

He shakes his head once more with the same speed, telling it’s not the point. “If we tell them about us, think of the reactions they will have. Our name might be erased off from the family linage. Our families won’t talk to each other again. Then we have to part ways, no more meeting with each other. Shinhwa might meet its end as well. Everything will go like in that makjang drama where one of us need to go abroad. And—“

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, just stop your imaginations spreading wild, okay? You watch too many dramas. Who are you anyway? Lee Minwoo?” I say as i put both of my hands on his shoulder to stop his negativities. Why he always think of the worst outcome in everything? “Look, they might accept us as a couple. Why don’t you imagine that choice? There is also that other options.”

He tilts his head innocently, not understanding my words. Letting out an evil grin on my face, i draw his waist forward and linger my arms around his waist. “We could always elope.”

“WHAT?!”

“There are many countries in U.S and Europe that already have same- marriage legalised, so, it will be easy for us to get married anyway. I’m thinking London will be nice for our wedding ceremony, how about it?”

“Okay, now it’s time for you to stop that imaginations of yours.” He tries to pushes me away from him, again. I wonder why he even bother to do it, when it’s obvious he’s not even putting a joule of energy on it.

“The point is, the outcome won’t be so bad after all. I rather tell them about us than seeing you married some .”

“Hey! She’s my mother’s friend’s daughter, okay? Be respectful.”

I finally hug him fully and rest my chin onto his shoulder and keep being indifferent about the arranged meeting, “Meh, what to be respectful about? It’s not like we know anything about her.” I turn my head a bit to see his face while still having my cheek paste on to his shoulder. “So, when will we tell them? We should gather your side of family and mine when we’re going to tell them, so if anything goes wrong, the shock on us won’t need to be doubled.”

“Easy for you to say! For now, think about how i will tell my mom that i won’t be going to the meeting because SOMEBODY kidnapped me across the globe.” He sulks away as he folded his arm on his chest.

“Oh, Jinnie will take care of that.”

“Choongjae? How—“

“I tell him that we are on trip and i need his help to tell your mom to cancel the date. He will think of something. He’s the most loveable member by our parents out of all of us six, so it should be no problem to him.”

Another silence covers around our conversation. I straighten my standing while he is looking downwards, seemingly thinking hard. “You really have thought of everything.” He softly says.

“If it concerns you, yeah, i have.” Gently putting my hand on his cheek and the other entwines his fingers, i bring his gaze up to mine. Boring myself into his eyes, i continue with heartfelt confession. “You said all you need is me by your side. Trust me that i will do everything to fulfil it. Even if eventually you’ll be sick of me. Even when you don’t need me any longer. This i promise you.”

Giving his fingers a chaste peck, I sense his body temperature rise up to his cheeks. It is clearly visible as well, as he turns so red that i think tomatoes and strawberries will be jealous over his redness. He shifts his gaze away from me, still trying so hard to cover that blush of his—when in reality it’s pretty much futile on my watch.

“Cheesy.” He shyly mumbles.

Calmly, i move forward and bring our faces closer. My heart leaps as he make the first move, meeting me halfway. Everything feels so right yet so surreal as i feel the warmth surge throughout my bodies. My lips and his are lapping unto each other. Bravely circling back his arm around my neck, he nips away my lower lips. I smile as we deepened our kiss once again, not wanting to break away anytime soon.

In this exquisite island of paradise, i seal my promise.

With a kiss on his velvety lips.

“I’ll be by your side. Forever.”