Chapter 7 - Jindy

Demon Appraiser

I had a dream. 

I was back to my elementary school days, wearing my sky blue uniform. If I stood in the skies, I would blend in totally.

I was lowering my head and my head almost hit my desk. I saw the comic book which I rented, was ruined. The front cover was torn, the bind had penknife cuts, the pages had ink stains. I definitely had to compensate the owner of the comic shop and maybe my parents would give me some beatings as well.

The saddest part was that there was shouting of ugly freak in my ears, by the boys. I wanted to yell back that I am not ugly but cute!

I did not raise up my head or rather I was unable to raise up my head. Because someone was pushing my head down and refusing to let me raise my head. I heard noises of things being tossed. Yes someone was dumping the waste from the rubbish bin over my head. I saw tissue papers, pencil shavings and shredded papers, falling on me and then to the floor.

I really felt like crying but I dared not. I was in my school uniform and if my pants had tears drops, it would turn darker blue, looking as if I had peed in my pants. So I could not cry because I could not afford to be embarrassed.

When I woke up, I found myself at the waiting lounge in the airport. I fell asleep and my boarding pass almost slipped out of my hand.

I am Kim Dongwan, a Demon Appraiser. My job was to certify Demons. Currently, my superior sent me on this trip to a southern part of the country. I heard that it was a historical place with vast history and the scenary was magnificent. It had been a long time that I had went for vacation.

---Flash back----

I was smiling in glee when my superior sent me on this trip. I spoke earnestly at my superior," I will do the Department proud and I will endure all hardships and sufferings. I will stay there for as long as you instruct without any greviance."

My superior chuckled," You won't need to stay long there. You will go in the earliest flight and return within the day!"

I straightened my body," Sir, I loved my job and in order to accomplish my duty, I am willing to sacrifice my personal time!"

My superior pressed an envelope into my hand," You are a good subordinate.... You can stay there as long as you want..." My superior told me sign to acknowledge the receipt of the envelope," Then you will have to pay for your own air ticket and we will deduct your salary accordingly to the number of days that you are there."

I cursed mentally," Sir, I will comply with the instruction from the organization!"

My superior patted my shoulder," You will be leaving tomorrow morning and returning in the evening and I expected to see you in iffice in the day after."

---End of flashback----

Well at least I am happy to go on this trip because, I am all alone. There would no bosses to supervise me and no nagging colleagues, such as Lee Minwoo, to bother me.

There was still some time before boarding the plane. I recalled I visited the Gents and bought a cup of coffee but I did not recall how come I fell asleep. It could not be because I slept very early last night because I wanted to be energized on this trip. I even downloaded the details of the places of interest so that I would tour a bit after I finished the duty and before I flew back.

Why did I even had a dream of my pathetic Elementary school day even I fell asleep? I felt a stab in my heart and had an indescribale feelings.

Shortly, I heard announcement through the system. I looked at the display panel at the boarding gate and heard the repeated announcements of the boarding notice of flights. I quickly took my haversack and walked to my boarding gate.

The flight would take approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. It was still early and I looked out of the window. The wings were swaying slightly and instantly I felt slight giddiness. It was an unnatural giddiness which reminded me of the situation when I consumed sleeping pills.

I quickly massaged my temple and also pressed hard at the centre of my palm to keep myself awake. Whatever things I had to face was here....

I knew I was dreaming again. Back to my Elementary school days.

I was still in my sky blue uniform and I was standing in front of the class nervously. Everyone was looking at me with a bored look and I felt a huge surge of fear surrounding me. It was not that the class was looking at me. Even with the form teacher standing nearby, giving me assuring nod could not alleviate the fear.

The fear was from a boy who was also in the sky blue uniform. He had short black hair and his fringe was neatly above his eye brows. He has a sweet smile and he looked cuter than the child actors that I saw on television drama.

Only I could see it, the semi transparent body behind the boy. Strange shiny powders was falling from the large white wings that were spreaded.

His innocent smiles was driving me insane and I said in my hoarse voice to the teacher," I am not lying."

The reaction from the teacher was even more disappointing," Kim Dongwan, are you imagining things from reading too much comic books?"

I was devastated and blood shot to my brain.  I felt my head was going to split into two and I forced the last bit of energy to shout out," Why none of you believe me! He is a Demon!"

I was waken up by the beautiful air stewardess as she was giving out flight meals and asked me gently for the beverage that I wanted. Even though I did not like flight meal because they were not nice. I was thankful for the air stewardess to wake me up from my nightmare.

"Black coffee, a little milk but no sugar. 5 cups Please."

I drank my coffee in the weird looks of the air stewardess and my neighboring passengers. I felt better after drinking the coffee though the price was that I had to visit the lavatory thrice.

When I alighted from the plane, I called Minwoo and asked if 'he' was here. Minwoo also sighed and wished me good luck.

He was a Demon, a kind of bird Demon. He was called Andy and he was the first Demon that I had encountered; and also the only Demon that I was feeling guilty towards all my life.

I came from the Demon slayer clan but I did not know Demons existed when I was younger. My clan's rule was that the adults would only reveal this to the descendant when they became of certain age.

During my time, the number of descendants was dwindling and the rule changed accordingly. My parents chose to hide the truth from me and so I was just a normal kid.

As my parents were always busy at work and I hardly seen them at home. Plus, they couldn't tell me exactly what their jobs were and I assumed that they were doing illegal business. Hence I was worried for them till the extent that I had a small bundled packed and under my bed. I placed my favourite toys, some money and clothings inside, in full preparation should we need to evade from the Authorities any time.

The day of leaving came when I was in grade 3. I could still remember that it was summer holidays when my parents talked to me in a serious manner. I was told that due to their job requirement, we had to move to another city and I had to transfer to a new school in the new city. My parents was guilty that I had to be separated from my classmates whom I had befriended for the past 3 years.

However, in my heart, I was certain that their illegal business were discovered and they had to run away. I nodded my head and assured my parents that I was okay with the shift. Deep in my heart, I was worried more of my parents' safety than me leaving my friends.

I recalled that night, I wrote a long letter to my best friend and told him that due to emergency that I had to leave. I asked for his forgiveness that I couldn't say goodbye to him. I told him that I might not see him again in future and urged him to study hard and not to befriend my enemy! I even shed a few tears on the letter.

Come to think of it, I could not remember my best friend's name now. I chuckled at my stupidness when I recalled this.

I finally met the first challenge in my life when I started my first day in the new school. There was a large white bird in class!

Initially, I thought I was hallucinating due to the lack of sleep but no matter how many times that I rubbed my eyes, the bird was still there.

That was a boy and I forgot to breathe when I saw him. He had short black hair and his fringe was neatly above his eye brows. He has a sweet smile and he looked cuter than the child actors that I saw on television drama.

On his body, there was a semi transparent image of a large bird which was almost bursting the ceiling. On it's forehead was a 5 colours flower and it had golden feet. Sparkling powder was flying off the spread wings.

Though it was a beautiful creature, I was terrified by it. Before I could finish my self introduction to the class, I was screaming at my high pitched voice and ran out of the classroom. My teacher was chasing after me and shouted at me to stop running....

How could I not escape when there was a Demon in the classroom! Couldn't they see it?

When I calmed down, I told my teacher about it and even cautioned her not to let the other classmates know about it; in case the Demon was alerted.

The teacher was looking at me weirdly and she wanted to call my parents. My parents were away that time and so she could not reach them. My teacher was surprised to learn that I was left alone at home most of the time and she commented that my parents were irresponsible. I couldn't say anything to my teacher that my parents were working illegal jobs and anytime, they would be imprisoned. I refused to talk more about my parents.

My teacher told me that it was school's regulation that I had to return to class and I would be punished if I failed to comply. I gave in. My character was like this, you could say that I was obedient and I was suited to be in the government sector.

When I returned to the class, my legs were jelly-like and my teacher was half dragging me back. I was assigned to sit in a corner. I started staring at the bird and the more I stared at it, the scarier it was to me. So, I ran our of the classroom screaming away a second time.

My neighbouring classmate was asking me why I kept running out of the classroom like a crazy boy. I pointed at him and whispered," Can't you see that Demon? Maybe he will eat us up."

"How dare you say such thing about Andy? He is the class monitor and he is a nice and polite boy!"

So the whole class was under the Demon's spell.

Suddenly I realized that I was the only one who could see the Andy's true form. The burden of saving the class and maybe the World rested on my shoulders. I had to prove to everyone that Andy was a Demon!

That day after school, I bought a silver cross. During the morning exercise period, I plucked up all my courage and touched Andy with my cross. Strangely, nothing happened. Andy even turned around and smiled at me. I tried using holy water, garlic, salt and bird food but nothing happened at all.

No matter how retarded Andy was, he should notice my attitude towards him. 

One day, he left a note underneath my desk, asking me to meet him at the soccer field during noon time where they would be no one around.

It was already Autumn and the weather was cloudy most of the time. The smell of Autumn was in the air. I saw Andy walking out from the school building after looking around for a while. The white bird on his body was flapping ita wings and reflected the dim sunlights.

In the sunlight, Andy looked attractive. I did not know what he wanted to talk to me and I feared that he would eat me up. So, seeing Andy approaching me, I ran away in fear.

Soon, the class was hostile towards me probably from my attitude and behavior towards Andy. I felt that I was being an outcast. 

First, my neighbour refused to talk time and soon, he asked to change his seat. Soon, I had no friends. Everytime, I happen to look at anyone, they would avert their gaze with me. Whenever, I came into the class, it would be total silent. When I left the class, they would start to gossip and talk bad about me.

I was very certain that Andy was the mastermind that instigated everyone to outcast me. I was more impolite to him and I strongly believed that I was the good guy while Andy was the evil guy. The class was under Andy's spell temporarily. I believed that once I could prove Andy's real identity, the evil will not triump against the good.

The younger me would go all out to do something which I strongly believed to be right and good.