Minho's Thoughts 2

Blueberry Stars

 

 

The end of summer was coming but it wasn’t about to leave without leaving a burning impression.  It was so hot outside that despite the ice forming near the ancient air conditioner in the back the shop still sweltered in the evening sunlight.  Minho had suffered through most of the day wishing for the clock to move faster, until finally 4pm rolled around.  As if the heat had made him move a little slower today to, the boy walked into the shop about a quarter after, pale cheeks flushed and just a little out of breath.  Minho waited for him to get to the counter before greeting him.  He watched a little sigh of relief pass over him as he set his bag down and moved his shoulder.

 

"The usual today?" Minho asked in a sweet tone.

 

The boy puffed a little bit of hair out of his face, but it stuck to his sweaty forehead, and didn’t move.

 

"Yes please, but maybe iced today?"

 

"Of course,” Minho gave him his classic answer, but quickly added, “can I make a suggestion to?" he asked as he watched the boy eye the mini muffins in the cake case. 

 

He looked back to Minho with a bright smile, "sure."

 

Minho opened the cooler that sat behind the register and pulled out a small frosted cup.  Inside was a thick purple liquid, speckled with blue, and topped with frozen whole blueberries. 

 

"It's kind of like an ice cream, puree blueberry and vanilla." The look of delight that passed over the boy's face was enough to make the hours of smashing ice cubes and churning the thick concoction this morning all worth it. 

 

"It looks amazing!"

 

Minho laughed openly.  "You don’t have to lie. It looks terrifying, something about lumpy, purple and thick in a cup didn't appeal to people, so they didn’t sell very well. But it tastes okay. Have this one on the house, and if you like it please come back and eat five or six more, so my boss doesn’t throw a fit."

 

The boy's laughter was like bells on a cool wind, light and airy. Happy enough to make Minho forget all the troubles of the day.  The boy took the frosted glass and paid for his iced mocha all the while dancing the frozen blueberries around the rim of the glass. 

 

"They look like stars you know."

 

"What does?" Minho asked.

 

"The place where the berry blooms, the little puckery bit, they remind me of stars. Something universal to everyone."