Accept

50 Prompt Challenge

He was stubborn. Oh, was he stubborn.  You could offer him anything in this world, and he’d find a way to do it himself instead. He wouldn’t accept help from anybody. Not even for anything simple, like chopping up vegetables for him. Kibum would rather take one hundred years to do something on his own that to make it quicker with help, and it’s always been like that.

But it always seemed to make Woohyun worry. Even after he saw Kibum accomplishing every goal he set for himself, time after time Woohyun worried for him, but he knew Kibum needed to do things on his own, and there was no stoping him.

They were dating, they hadn’t moved in together. Even after years of Kibum struggling to make his rent, while Woohyun lived comfortably in his little rooftop house, it didn’t even come up in their conversations. Woohyun always thought about it.

Their sixth year as a couple was coming up, Woohyun had it marked on his calendar. He hadn’t decided what he was going to do, but he thought over and over again about offering a place to stay for his boyfriend. He couldn’t stand seeing the other struggle in that way anymore.

The days rolled passed, some days he’d see Kibum, others he wouldn’t get the chance but there were texts and calls in the place of his physical form. By the day before their sixth anniversary, Woohyun had it all planned out, how to ask Kibum, how to keep asking if the other declined as usual. As Woohyun got the last “goodnight” text of the day from his boyfriend, he called it a night with a confident feeling in his chest. He knew he could do this.

Their tiny date was set up in their favorite restaurant. They would pay separately, of course. Kibum wouldn’t have it any other way.

It was almost five o’clock before Kibum made his way into the restaurant, looking very unusual. He was an hour late, but Woohyun hadn’t budged. He knew Kibum would show up, but he always expected him to show up looking…perfect as usual. But this wasn’t his Kibum.

He sat down in front of Woohyun, but didn’t greet him. What was going on? Did Woohyun do something wrong? He let it be for a while, ordering what Kibum liked as the other wouldn’t say a word.

Only after their food arrived and Kibum hadn’t said anything did Woohyun say something, “Kibum…what the hell is going on with you?” He asks, leaning forward slightly to look at him.

The look Kibum gave Woohyun was sheepish, as though he was embarrassed about something.

“Kibum—“

“I’m getting evicted.”

“What?” Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows. “Evicted, but Kibum…you said—“

“I know what I said!” He said, looking down embarrassedly. “I know, but…I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t do it all on my own.” He struggled with those words, and he could tell.

“I-it’s okay Kibum.” He said, reaching over and taking his hand. “It’s okay, you can live with me. I can help.”

“No.”

“Yes, Bum…” He said. “Just…please let me help you already.” He urged, frowning. “I hate this game. I hate seeing you struggle You don’t have to give up everything, just let me help you.”

Kibum looked so unsure, but after a moment his body relaxed and he looked up again. “Thank you.” He whispers, tearing up. “Thank you, Woohyun…”

“Thank you.” He whispers, getting up. They hugged. Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, his love could accept his help.