Truth

50 Prompt Challenge

Minho had always been worried for Taemin. Ever since the younger had started school, Minho protected him from bullies and upset teachers. They’d grown close, they knew almost everything about each other. But there was a big piece missing for Minho.

He’d never met Taemin’s parents. He knows Taemin right down to the smallest detail, but any information about his parents was unknown. He knew they were alive, and he knew that Taemin didn’t like to talk about them. But besides that, anything related to Taemin’s home life was a complete mystery to him.

He’d insisted many times to meet the younger’s family. He wanted to see who raised such a wonderful person. But, even after they started dating Taemin refused. Tonight, after school Minho would try again to ask. He wanted to meet them. He needed to.

Minho stared intently at the clock. His mind wasn’t on the teacher’s lecture or the fact that he had a soccer game this saturday that could end their season. His mind was solely on Taemin’s parents. What would they be like? Look like? Are they kind? Did they love Taemin as much as he did? More, maybe less? So many questions itched at the back of Minho’s head about these people. It’s been nearly ten years since they’ve met, not one look at them.

To say Minho was relieved when class got out was a understatement. He was out to his car probably before Taemin had even finished packing up, but while he waited Minho looked at the picture of them together that was clipped to his visor. The time seemed to pass slowly before he saw the younger approach his vehicle and slide into the passenger seat.

“Hey, Taemin.” Minho rumbled, starting the car and looking at the younger before taking off.

Minho was offered a small smile and a soft peck on the cheek, but no words. Taemin didn’t talk much, but by now Minho understood Taemin well enough without the verbal exchange.

“You know what I’m gonna ask, don’t you?” He asks, taking on of his hands as the car warmed up. He waited until Taemin shook his head before speaking again, “I think it’s time I meet your parents.”

There was an abrupt, startling, “No!” That slipped far too quickly from Taemin’s pink lips. Minho’s eyes slid his way, looking at him with slight confusion.

“Taemin, come on, it’s been years-“

“Minho, please…” Taemin whispers, frowning at the older. Minho knew he was hiding something, and he knew it was about his parents, but he had no clue as to what it could be.

“Whatever you’re hiding from me, I promise I won’t judge you. You know I won’t. I love you, Lee Taemin. When have I done anything to make you not trust me?” Minho pleaded, though he normally wouldn’t push Taemin like this. It was like manipulation and he hated when people did it, but he also hated secrets.

“But this is different. More sensitive than…anything you’ve ever helped with before.” Taemin shook slightly, looking down at his lap.

“Whatever it is, you should know by now that I won’t judge you. I’ve never judged you before have I?” He said again, reaching up and the younger’s cheek.

Taemin shook his head, leaning into the Minho’s hand. “No, I suppose you haven’t.”

Minho gave a small, fond smile thought Taemin couldn’t see it. “How about we go take a ride to your place, then.” He whispers, pulling his hand away and putting the car into reverse. “Just give me the directions and I’ll take us there.”

There was a moment-long pause before Taemin nodded and they left. The drive was a bit long, but when Minho pulled up in front of the large, traditional-looking home he parked the car and took his nervous boyfriend’s hand. “Come on, Tae. It’ll be easy.”

“Yeah…easy for you to say.” Taemin whispers bitterly, pulling his hand away to get out of the car. Minho was lead in through the front entrance and almost immediately run down by two young children running down the hall. “Sehun-ah! Jongin, don’t do that!” Taemin shouted uncharacteristically.

“Are those your-“ His words were interrupted by laughter from across the room.

“Did Taeminie finally decide to bring that cute boyfriend of his home?” Minho looked up to see a short, handsome male standing in the doorway that seemed to lead to a sitting room.

“Shut up Jonghyun. Where’s mom?” Taemin said, gripping Minho’s hand tightly.

“Chill out, Tae, she’s in the garden with Minseok. You know how they love their flowers.” Jonghyun rolls his eyes and turns back to the sitting room. Minho looks at his boyfriend.

“Are they all related to you?” Minho asks as he was pulled through to the back of the house. He was absolutely baffled that in less than two minutes he heard four new names Taemin had never mentioned.

Taemin stopped before leaving through the back, where Minho could here a soft, childish giggle and then a stern, “Don’t run, Minseok!” Coming from a much older voice.

Minho was snapped out of his little trance by his boyfriend, who was now looking up at him with large eyes. “Minho…to tell you the truth, I’m…well, I don’t know my real parents.” Taemin bit his lip. “I’m an orphan.”

A long silence, then a smile from Minho. “Ok.” He whispers, squeezing the younger’s hand reassuringly. “I still want to meet the wonderful woman who raised you Taemin. And all the people that live in this house….is there more?” Minho asks.

“So many more.” Taemin breathed, hugging his boyfriend  and closing his eyes. “But first you need to meet my mom. She’s great.”

“She must be, raising a sweet thing like you.” Minho chuckles, pulling away and pushing the screen door open and walking out into the small garden. The elderly woman was kneeling next to a rose bush, instructing a little boy with chubby little cheeks how to pick the roses properly. The little boy, Minseok, seemed to be listening intently, but the elderly woman caught sight of Minho and suddenly smiled widely.

She got up, brushing the dirt from her knees. “Taeminie, is that him?” She asks, hobbling over to them. “Is that your Minho? He’s so handsome!” She coos, reaching up and pinching his cheek.

Taemin walks over and leans on her. “Yes, mom, this is him. He’s been wanting to meet you, so…I finally brought him to you.”
“Oh, Taemin, that’s wonderful.” She takes one of his hands, looking at him with a sly smile before bringing them all in. “I have some baby pictures of our Taemin that would make you fall in love with him again, Mr. Choi…”

Minho looked down at his boyfriend and pecks his lips. “Your family is wonderful, Taemin.” He said. “Don’t doubt me again, okay? I love you, so don’t feel like….like you have to lie to me anymore.”

Taemin held onto his hand, but didn’t look up or speak. Minho knew that Taemin understood by the slight upturn of the corners of his mouth and the gleam in his eyes. He didn’t speak much for the rest of the night, but that was okay.