Division III

BattleWorlds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2264. 11. 12, Seoul, United Confederation of Korea. 13:16:43 A.T

 

The bleak light shined the empty streets, marred by broken glass, flying canisters and other remnants of war. Another riot, this time three days ago based on the fact that the people were not getting warm water to supply for their harsh winter. That is, the “harsh” winter. Times have changed. Climates now change at a greater speed, some even as astounding differences. Whatever is left of Seoul, for the past 250 years, turns into an iceberg at the end of the year, wear it would thaw under the demanding sun in the beginning of summer.

 

Joo Yeon walked, her frail figure only covered by a t-shirt underneath the thin blanket. She carried groceries, well what is left of it. The riot left the market open, with staple food and fruits lying dirty and uneaten, some already rotten, maggots eating them in the floor of cockroaches. She took what was still clean, but probably already rotten as well. Her walk to her small shack she and her mother calls a home seems like the longest walk of her life, but then again, her walks now seem longer that it already it. Minutes stretch into hours, days into years and so on.

 

After what seemed like decades she finally came across the familiar brown door, signaling the entrance to her once called, humble home. She pushed the unlocked door with a harsh grunt and entered the dusty old hearth.

 

“Mom, I’m home.” She called out to her mother. Like most people, she’s sick, the result of an old catastrophic explosion and resulted the earth to gain its destruction, just a mere 250 years ago. The explosion which resulted in unknown dust particles to travel freely, severely damaging the lungs and other organ systems. Joo Yeon was the few lucky ones to have been cleared from the canker.

 

Her mom answered with a small cough, guiding Joo Yeon to the old living room where her mother looked like she aged another 20 years from when she last saw her just an hour ago, she thinks.

 

“Hey mom. I brought some raw vegetables we can boil up. And look, apples!” She pretended to sound happy, at least, she didn’t want her mom to sag. The local clinic said that the canker was bad, bad enough that she would last for another month or two, if they were lucky.

 

Her mom smiled, showing yellowed teeth, but still bright. Her mom was beautiful, used to at least. Her willowy frame got her a job in the chairman’s home. Yes, the chairman of SOLITUDITY, one of the leading powers of the current world. This was just their day off, or not they would be swept back into the caged mansion of Park Bo Hyun and his mean minions he calls officials.

 

“Good, you can *cough* boil them *cough* in there.” Her mom suffered to say. Joo Yeon patted her back and gave her a glass of water.

 

“You shouldn’t speak, I just make some food for you.” She moved to the kitchen.

 

Food was awful. It was the same vegetable broth they’ve been eating for the past 3 days or so, Joo Yeon can’t remember. It was a bitter tasteless thing. But at least they got apples for dessert, a lavish life they could not afford.

 

The government was taking everything from them. Food, clothes, warmth, money. The country’s economy was falling at a rapid speed, making them also worth to nil. But they still enjoyed the life they had for themselves, conducting parties any other day, drinking wine to the fullest. The commercials they provided for the other confederations, they were just propaganda, shot within 4 walls and a holographic screen. Nothing new, nothing gold.

 

Once the food was finished she sat next to her mother again. “We should go back. We don’t want the chairman to start looking for us again.” She shivered, while remembering the last time they went back too late. 2 days without a full meal, only bread and water. Bad times which nearly took the life of her mother, times that Joo Yeon didn’t want to repeat. Her mother nodded and they took what little they have, bringing it back to the mansion.

 

The ride back was death. Some walking, others with the trailer, an old, and the only unmodified transportation from the outskirts to downtown Seoul, well at least the border, the government don’t let rusted material to go through the fence. So they had to walk much of the way. They were alone in the trailer, besides the automaton driving it, its mind wired to move between both points, passengers or not. It was simple, cheap, clean, and punctual.

 

The fence was the border dividing the rich and the poor. Literally. Between those few meters, a drastic takes place in terms of homes, crowd and happiness as well. Like two different worlds put side by side. The few guards standing by were used to the occasional movements between the poor into the rich, knowing that they were mere servants to host the affairs of the affluent. Moving into the city, the lights become significantly brighter, the stars unseen, the beauty of the galaxy obstructed by the massive windows and the buildings. Unlike the outskirts, you can see everything there, from the rainbow color of what was left of the broken space until the black dust moving about, watching our movements, a reminder of what happened 250 years back, that resulted in such damnation.

 

People wore suits, both women and men, to tell off the unwanted. They are busy, full stop.  They don’t want to be disturbed as they have better things to do, unlike the poor mingling about. But Joo Yeon and her mother has a purpose, to find that one home where they would spend the rest of their lives in.

 

There is was, the white walls and creamed pillars supporting the three-floored home. One of the most lavish places in the confederation. But the people would’ve been sick to the stomach, if they found out that only 3 people lived in there, and the other mistresses and maids who they believed shared the same fate, lives on the other side on the land on which the house was built on, a 10-by-10 foot barn.

 

They had to use the back door, nobody unwanted uses the front door, unless to look for death, then the front door can be used as pleased. The back door led to the kitchen, where a cream soup was being made, but sadly they couldn’t even take a sip. Cameras are everywhere and automatons are protecting what is theirs. They would be executed for trying. Behind the pot, a plump lady was stirring, sweat covering her face and underarms. With a pot that big Joo Yeon didn’t have to ask to know something’s happening. Another party, more people, more misery.

 

She led her mother into a small room in the corner, made by a s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter