Chapter 2: Go Back

As the Wind Blows Us Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been almost a year since he asked her out on her hospital bed. Despite her unfortunate encounter at the gym as she tried lifting the weights without his support as a spotter, it was a blessing in disguise as his concern for her just turned into something wonderful.

He rushed to the hospital just after his meeting when he received a call from Chan that Fany just got injured at the gym. Upon entering the emergency room, he whipped his head left and right and immediately saw her lying on the bed, with the doctor updating her on her condition. He rushed to her and instantly and unconsciously hugged her upper body.

“Hey, what happened?” he asked her with a worried expression. “Is she gonna be alright?” he asked the doctor and the man in his white coat told him the results of the various tests done and Taec was relieved that it was nothing serious. However, he nagged at her for doing routines alone, knowing that she was not yet used to heavy weight training.

She stayed at the hospital for two more days and on the day of her discharge, he greeted her very early in the morning and even stared at her as she slept like Sleeping Beauty. When she woke up, the first thing he did was to face her with a grin.

“How are you? Are you excited to go out?” he asked and she nodded with a smile.

“Good morning to you too, Mr. Ok...” she giggled as she tried sitting and lean on the pillows.

“Morning, and to congratulate you on your discharge, here’s something...” he spoke and handed her a bouquet of flowers. “I bought my favourite flower since I’m not really sure on what you like... but if you’d tell me, then maybe we can both like it in the future... together...” he spoke with an embarrassed and blushing face.

She grew with a confused expression and upon seeing her face, he chuckled. “I... I’m asking you out...” he added to give her a black and white answer on her confusion.

“You really think a hospital room is a romantic place to ask someone out?” she giggled and he nodded.

“Anyone can turn any place into a romantic one when he’s love struck...” he spoke in a cheesy voice. And she shook her head in disgust but still not controlling the smile on her face.

“It’s a good thing that I was transferred into a private room or else, it would be embarrassing to do this...” she told him and pecked his cheek, answering his proposal with no words. “And by the way, my favourite flower is peonies...” she added and he smiled before he landed a peck on her lips and they shared their first kiss.

And everything was fine with the two of them as they went on weekend dates. They were like any romantic couple there is and they were taking the relationship seriously even meeting each other’s parents.

However things fell different when he received an email and a friend invite on Facebook one day. It was a friend from the past, more specifically, a girlfriend from the past. And the message she left was like a nightmare to him as she tells him that he has a child with her. She also tells him that she just thought of informing him of the kid’s existence and also to end the kid’s endless questions on who his father was, as he was being jealous of the kids in his day care, having their dads pick them up after class. After not receiving any reply from him, she then sends him a letter with a picture of a child and when he opened it, he could clearly see the striking resemblance of the kid to him.

Seeing his troubled face for three days, Fany hugs him from the back as he was leaning on the balcony. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing...” he replied with a sigh as he placed his hand over hers and rubbed her hands.

“That’s not nothing... you’ve been out of it since Monday... you can tell me your problem, oppa...”

“Hmmmm...” he sighed again and he turned around to face her and hugged her close. “Fany-ah... what would you feel if your ex suddenly contacted you and told you something you don’t want to hear...?”

“No matter how I don’t want it, I gotta face it... I would just only suffer more if I delay on it... so if that happens, I would muster all the courage I have and put an end on it...” she spoke and looked at him in the eyes. “And I know that you’d be there to support me on it...” she added and he smiled bitterly.

“Fany-ah... I don’t know how I should face this... but I think I should let you know first...” he started and she nodded to let him continue. He breathed in deeply and clenched his jaw while she waited for him.

“I might be a father... but I’m not really sure yet... well, you see... days ago, my ex, YoonA messaged me and also sent me a letter, saying that I am the father of her three year old child... but I’m not putting my full trust on her yet... It’s true that the kid looked a lot like me... but she used to cheat on me, and that’s why we broke up so, I won’t really be certain that I am the father of that child, so what do you think I should do?” He blabbed non-stop, like a rap, making his words sink in a little slower to Fany.

After about a minute of not saying anything, she sighed and forced a smile. “Wow, that was not what I expected... but I think, we should first make sure if the child is yours...”

With her suggestion, the couple planned a trip to Ilsan where YoonA and his supposed child was residing at. To prepare herself for who they were going to meet, she asked him to tell her his brief history with the woman, and he did. However, he reassured her every single time that there’s nothing she should worry about as he promised that nothing would change with their relationship.

On that weekend, they departed for Ilsan and they finally met. It was a very awkward meeting, but the couple could not help but find the kid to be cute. After their greetings, they headed to the hospital and though she was offended that Taec doubted her words, YoonA could not help but agree to the paternal test in order to prove his son’s identity. As the kid cried when blood was being drawn from him, Fany could only feel sorry while YoonA bit her lip controlling her pity on her son.

The doctor then told the two parties that the results would be out in less than a week and they would be sending the results to the address indicated at the form they filled, which was Taec’s address. Taec and Fany were about to leave for Seoul when Fany stopped and approached YoonA as the mother still had the kid in her arms, soothing the still sniffing toddler.

“YoonA-ssi, if it would be alright, do you mind coming to oppa’s birthday party? I was planning to surprise him and I think that it would be nice to have you and YoonHyun at his special day...” Fany spoke as she patted the kid’s head.

“Would it really be alright? I know that he’s not ready to admit that Hyun-ie’s his son...” YoonA showed her a bitter smile.

“I know that he’s a bit stubborn, but I know that he feels for the kid... I’m not sure if you know but he actually likes children... he even plays peek-a-boo with toddlers he doesn’t know at the park and I’m sure that he would be happy to see you and your son at the party...”

“If you really think so, then we would try coming...”

“Thank you very much, YoonA-ssi...” Fany smiled sincerely before Taec honked, rushing her to ride the car. She waved goodbye at the mother and son, before she met with Taec’s questioning eyes.

“Taec’s really lucky to have found you... isn’t that right, baby boy? If it was any other woman, I think she would have shunned us away...” YoonA mumbled to herself as they saw the woman get onto the passenger’s seat.

“What were you two talking about?”

“Just telling her how lucky she is for having a cute son... and also apologizing that we had to do this to the kid...”

“I know... but I need to do it...” he sighed as he drove off.

A week had passed and it was a day before his birthday and also the day the results would be mailed to him. He did not go to work that day and waited for the mail to arrive, not wanting Fany to be the first one to see it. However, upon receiving it that afternoon, he was afraid to open it and see the results, and kept it a secret and hid it in his drawer. That night he was unable to sleep thinking about the results and how it could affect his relationship with YoonA and Fany, unlike what he had previously promised his girlfriend.

But when morning came, he felt a little lighter when Fany surprised him with a birthday brunch. “Happy Birthday, baby!!!” she greeted and landed a passionate kiss on him before he enjoyed the delicious love breakfast she prepared. They spent the rest of the afternoon just watching his favourite Batman movies, a tradition he had done for the past thirteen years, as they cuddled togethe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter