Chapter 1: It’s Gonna Be Love

As the Wind Blows Us Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After two hours of morning workout, he arrives at his apartment building and whistled as he strode the lobby. He rode the elevator and reached his floor in about a minute. As he walked towards his unit, he noticed a few men carrying large boxes and furniture pieces along the corridors, into the unit just across his. He figured that someone must be moving in that day and he was quite happy that he would finally have a neighbour in that lonesome floor of the building. It had been two years that he had lived there and not once that he had a next door neighbour.

He passed by the opened door of the unit and saw a woman walking across the living room, going inside one of the rooms. Catching a glimpse of the woman, he grew curious and discretely peeked more into the unit. He could hear her pretty voice instructing the movers where to put her things and also saying gratitude every single time to the movers.

“Neh, please put it there ahjussi... just slightly more to the left please... thank you...” the woman spoke through the walls.

He was really curious and wanted to stay longer by her door and listen to her voice more but he felt that it would be too creepy to do so. In the end, he walked to his unit with a smile and after punching in his pass code, he started whistling again through his house and did not stop even after he had taken his shower.

As he walked around comfortably in his house, he was excited, thinking on how he could approach the new neighbour in a friendly way. Not really knowing why, that day was definitely one of the days he was in his best mood.

It's gonna be me baby

It's gonna be you baby


Time I've been patient for so long
How can I pretend to be so strong?
Looking at you baby
Feeling it too baby
If I’m asking you to hold me tight 
then it’s gonna be all right

However his happy thoughts were interrupted when his phone rang and he sighed loudly upon seeing the caller ID.

“It’s a Sunday, that means a rest day... so why are you calling me?” he spoke through the receiver clearly unhappy by the call.

“Yah! I know we’re friends but I’m still your boss, !!” the man on the line replied. “Anyways, there’s a book fair happening in Mapo right now... Chan’s supposed to go there and do his market research, but he ate something bad last night and now he’s at the hospital being treated with food poisoning... so in short, I need you there to check on the latest good reads...”

“Are there no other people who could go instead?” he spoke, obviously not wanting to give up his weekend.

“Taec, you do know that I’m in Jeju now... Fei and ChangMin are in Busan checking on the branch office... and Jun brothers are with Yenny in Tokyo looking for our Great blog writer who’s been MIA and had been ignoring all my calls for the past month... all my editors are out aside from you... so I believe that you also know that this book fair is also a good opportunity for you, eh?”

“Fine... you owe me a drink, Khun-ddaeng ah, araseo... bye!” he rolled his eyes as he submitted to the instructions of his boss.

“Tenkyu!” the boss cutely spoke before they dropped the call.

He quickly prepared himself, getting himself in a suit and left towards the elevator without forgetting to steal another glance of the woman who had just moved in. And with that glance, he found how brightly captivating the woman’s eye smile was. As he left the building, he was again smiling like a silly child.

The book fair ended just after sunset and he was stuck in traffic after he had eaten dinner. He drove home late that night and as he was waiting for the traffic light to turn green, he turned his head to the right and spotted a small but cutely designed flower shop. After looking at it for a few seconds, he thought of the woman and tuned into the corner when the lights had changed and parked near the shop.

After walking out of the shop with a smile, he drove home and finally reached his house just before midnight. He rode the elevator and hummed again as he waited for the elevator doors to open to his floor. He passed by the unit and smiled like a child again before heading to his unit. He immediately walked towards his desk, not bothering to take off his coat, and brought out a gift card. After writing on the card, he stuck it onto the flower pot he had bought and walked out of his unit, stopped in front of the woman’s unit and left it in front of her door.

Since it was already close to midnight, he did not bother ringing the bell, and thought that it would be alright for her to see his welcoming gift the next morning. “Sweet dreams, new neighbour...” he whispered as he looked at the plant before heading back to his house.

Time am I restless or a fool?
How can you pretend to be so cruel?
Maybe it’s me baby
Maybe it's true baby
Maybe it's everything were dreaming of
We waited long enough

He wakes up the next morning with an unusual smile on his face again. As he was having his breakfast, his door rang and when he looked at the monitor, he was surprised to see his new neighbour. He was grinning as he remained surprised and it was not until she rang the doorbell again that he was able to compose himself and answered the door with his small smile.

“Annyeong haseyo! I’m Tiffany Hwang... you can call me Tiffany or Fany... I just moved in yesterday...” she bows to him with a bright smile.

“Neh, Annyeong haseyo, I’m Ok TaecYeon... or Taec... I noticed that there was a new neighbour... I’m sorry I could not help yesterday... something came up...”

“No it was alright, there were movers who helped me and we managed... I was about to give this to you yesterday but you were not home... so better late than never...” she spoke as she handed him a box of cookies.

“Thank you, you didn’t have to... would you like to come in?” he offered with a wide smile, thinking that she baked them only for him, judging by the not so fancy decorations on the cookies and packaging.

“Nah, it’s alright, you look like you’re headed out so I’m not gonna interrupt you any longer...” she smiled. “Oh, and also I want to thank you for the plant you left... it’s very beautiful... though I don’t know if you’d like my gift as much as I liked yours... not that great in baking yet... not sure if it would suit your taste...” she added and he was happy knowing that she liked the flower.

“Mrs. Kim from the unit below said that it was too sweet...” she cutely spoke and ended with a pout. Upon hearing it, he was disappointed a little, that she baked the cookies not only for him.

He opened the box and got a piece and took a big bite of the cookie. As he savoured the treat, he nodded in satisfaction. “They are sweet but it’s nice... I like it...” he told her and her smile widened a lot.

“That’s good then, so... I’ll get going...” she spoke and bowed at him once again before she left to her unit. He waved goodbye at her before heading back to his kitchen with a grin.

“They are too sweet and quite unhealthy in a sense... but it’s not that bad to get used to it anyways...” he thought to himself as he took another bite.

 

Days passed by and they remained as normal neighbours, greeting each other when they pass by each other in the hallways and lobby. They would also exchange small talks. But they grew a lot closer the day he discovered that she was working at the gym he visits and his friend, ChanSeong, owns. She is the new yoga and pilates instructor at the gym his friend was talking about and like coincidence, they bumped into each other at the gym.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter