The Fandom: Blackjacks

2ne1: The outstanding list of accomplishments made by a record-breaking hit group

Though 2NE1 debuted on May 17, 2009, fans had to wait patiently (or not) for their official fan club name. Hints were dropped multiple times, especially when Teddy called out “2NE1, Blackjacks – beat that” in a collaboration song with CL & G-Dragon, called “The Leaders.” However, the wait was over just prior to the Asia Song Festival 2009 (aka Dream Concert), when YGE officially announced that 2NE1′s fan club would be called Blackjack and the official colors BLACK HOT PINK.

“Referring to the game black jack, 21 is the highest number you can get:

2NE1 == BLACK JACK

The best numbers to each other and keeping a close relationship.”

Though all 2NE1 fans are commonly referred to as Blackjacks, YGE’s official Blackjack fanclub required registration fees and has limited registration periods. Some perks of being an official Blackjacks include receiving a personalized 2NE1 lightstick, access to the Blackjack Zone (an exclusive area just for official fans), access to lotteries for early concert tickets, and much more.

A brief history on the official Blackjack fanclub

Registration and payment for the 1st generation membership of Blackjacks opened to the public from Oct-Nov 2009, while application for the 2nd generation membership and fees was carried out in May-June 2010. YGE is now accepting applications for the 3rd generation of members, but unlike the first two, membership is currently only open to Korean citizens or foreigners who live in Korea. It was later explained that this was because YGE felt that fans outside of Korea will not be able to enjoy the full benefits of being an official Blackjack (such as attending live performances on music programs in Korea). However, for fans not in Korea, don’t give up hope! Applications did open later for foreign fans for the first two registration period.

Shortly after 2NE1 officially began their Japanese activities in 2011, YGEX announced that the official Japanese fan club would be opening registration AND would have a different name than the Korean fanclub. This is not an unusual situation as several other Korean artists have different names for their Korean and Japanese fanclubs (most notably DBSK with Cassiopeia and Big East). After a brief submission contest, the official name for Japanese fans was announced: BLACKJACK NOLZA.

Nolza (derived from Nolja, the Korean word for “Let’s Play!” and a slogan 2NE1 is identified with as they usually cheer with it before performing on stage) was the name of the girls’ first concert tour. Similar to the Korean official fanclub, Blackjack Nolza required a membership fee and applicationw as only open for a limited time. Members who’s applications are successful would then receive priority access to events, personalized lightsticks as well as a Blackjack Zone where exclusive photos of 2NE1 are released. These photos are not allowed to be shared anywhere outside of Blackjack Nolza’s site.

To date, Blackjack Nolza members have also gotten the privelege of attending 2 fan meetings that 2NE1 has held in Japan. They’re extremely lucky aren’t they?

— ♠ —

Credit