Festival Day

Tiffany's Summer in Korea [kid!taeny oneshots]

I knew there were big parties that happened inside houses, but I never experienced one outside my house. Being with Taeyeon has made me see new things. I didn't imagine myself around stalls and gag skits and fireworks and games, the last the most as I'm not a nerd, and that's saying a lot since I lived to go to school and go back home for seven years. But! After one week, three days, eight hours, 24 minutes, 40 seconds and a bajillion of milliseconds, I have stayed outside my house more than the time I stayed inside.

I've been having sleepovers with Taeyeon nonstop since, and Michelle had her boyfriend and my parents to themselves, so most of the time I spent this summer with Taeyeon.

She's been filling all my days to no end, and had been planning so much for the both of us and I wonder, how come she goes to do so much for me when I'm less of a bad child than her?

Maybe that's what I'm thinking because the elderly like to talk how boyish Taeyeon is and how sad they are for her since she's such a pretty girl.

I don't get them on that part, because she's really pretty inside and out. She's as cute as a white bunny and I a... admire? I admire her because she's manly sometimes!

But anyways! I can't really say why I think like this of her but I do know that this feeling comes from my heart, and well, mommy always says the true feelings speaks from the heart, so I think this is true.

As expected, the doorbell rang in the house at eight in the morning. I go out of my room and struggle to carry my pink backpack on the way downstairs. I can already hear Taeyeon's loud "G-Good mowning, Mishtu Hwang! Missush Hwang!"

Taeyeon appears at the front door, and she's wearing her favorite band shirt, black sweats and blue rubber shoes. Like mine, she has an identical but blue backpack off one shoulder and is currently holding a popsicle stick on one hand.

I scurry off to her side and giggle at her try on English in front of my parents. Mom and Dad seem to be really happy every time she comes, and that makes me happy too.

"Hello Taeyeonie," Mom says.

Dad pats Taeyeon's shoulder. "Take good care of my daughter today also, okay?"

As always, Taeyeon salutes with a nod. "Y-Yesh sir!"

I face my parents and give my biggest smile, "I'm going out now!" After peppering them with a kiss, I say one last goodbye. "See you later. Love you two as always!"

When we're out the front lawn, I ask Taeyeon the first thing on my mind, "So what are we going to do today?"

I ask her the same question when we start to talk everyday. She answers a lot of unique activities not really in my mind. We went to the forest, we catched beetles with our nets, we pulled pranks every other day on my bully's house (payback, she says---I think she just wants someone to be a guinea pig for her crazy inventions), and yesterday we tried to make some snacks for our dads and moms! I want to make it again for my mom; she cried after eating it saying something about how unique the dark hotcake tasted unimaginably like chewy batter bread. I think it means I made a masterpiece!

"We're going to a festival today," Taeyeon's answer caught my mind.

"What's a festival?"

"It"s a bi~g party!" Taetae spreads her hands out. "Like, super duper big!"

"Whoa. Super duper cool!" I babble in excitment.

"Yeah, Pany-ah." She grins at me, walking in that funny happy manner like I'm doing. "We get to see fireworks, these big rockets that blast in the air burning colors in all sorts of patterns."

I look up at the clear blue sky imagining the event. "Wah! I wanna see that. Let's go watch it together, Taetae!"

Taeyeon nodded saying "Of course! I already marked a spot for both of us."

I grabbed on her arm, smiling bashfully wide. "Ohmygod, I'm so excited!" I was so incredibly happy I switched to American. I reverted back to Korean to ask her again, "What are you waiting for, Taeyeon-ah? C'mon, let's go there now!"

That day was incredibly fun. We walked around every stall playing stall games, eating food, collecting coins; seeing my arch nemesis's face couldn't drop my level of happiness.

When it was darkening, the two of us set out to the place she reserved. We arrived at the top of a hill, little bit far from the noise and people down the festival. It looked like a cozy place enough for a crowd to sit at, but knowing the path was fit for kids, I was sure we were the only ones here.

We set down our stuff: candies, prizes, pocketful of chits unused to buy some more stuff at the festival and then our butts.

"C'mere, Pany-ah." Taeyeon motioned me to come over her side. She draped a big shawl around our shoulders; it must be her mom's.

I muttered a thanks and looked at the view in front of us.

Aside from the big splash of blue and violet on the sky, I can also see the line of stalls we passed on here at my spot, and the walking people.

"They all look so small from here." I commented.

Taeyeon pulled out her lollipop, smacking her lips. "Like crawling ants."

"Ew. No, don't."

"It's true!"

"H-Hey!" I slapped her trailing fingers on my leg. Seriously, she makes fun of me when she knows I hate bugs!

"Yah!" Taeyeon smacked her own palm on my knee.

We were a bickering mess, almost fighting but the snickering laughs kept it light and fun. Taeyeon first stopped when she grabbed my hovering arm and pulled us closer as she pointed at the sky.

"I hear it! Look, Jiwoong oppa's blasting it." She shouted.

My eyes set to the view just in time for a loud whistle go up and then it was a big boom. More whistles went up, accompanying the swirl of fireworks in all sorts of colors; I couldn't contain the sight in my front. I had to turn to see the blast on other places.

"This is so amazing!" Taeyeon shouted in the noise.

"Woohoo!" I shouted, my fingers cupped around my mouth.

This went on until the last few sightings disappeared in our eyes, and then it was darkness in the sky again, as if nothing happened.

"I had so much fun, Taeyeonie." I told her when we cleaned up.

She fixed the straps of her bag, smiling at me. "You're welcome."

I showed my own full smile, laughing.

"Oh, I saw another fireworks!" Taeyeon stepped back from me.

"Huh? Where?" I turned to the sky to see where.

"Dummy." Taeyeon mumbled, turning me back. When I saw the cat-like smile on her face, I realized she was talking about the way my eyes turned into slits.

"Aish. Yah." I smacked her arm.

"It's true."

"...if you say so."

"Of course I do."

And that's how I spent this night out with my best friend Taeyeon.