Sleepover or Slumber Party?

Tiffany's Summer in Korea [kid!taeny oneshots]

Sometimes it feels so frustrating to have a smart friend.

Taeyeon said we should have a sleepover at her house--on her command--since I tell her I haven't experienced one. Now here's the annoying part: I keep saying how excited I am for the slumber party but she always cut me off with an "It's just a sleepover, Pany." I don't really know where she gets her realistic enthusiasm that has always been able to deflate my shoulders.

She keeps on telling me we're just doing what we always do together: eat, play a lot and then sleep.

The real deal is, to some extent, more than what she said.

Yes, we eat some snacks, we watch a bit of TV, and then team up in Rising Force in both our laptops (I had to beg and do so much for this one). After that, we eat again (actually I eat some of their sweets while she nibbles on crackers) and then when we have nothing else to do, she turns off the lights, then turns on the nightlight (since I can't sleep without one) and then I just look up at the ceiling while she reads her favorite comics. I know I won't be getting my beauty sleep anytime soon so I go over her desk, take my favorite pink pencil with a bunny eraser on top and get a random notebook I can use to draw.

The peaceful silence goes on and on and when I am stuck with drawing barbie dolls, Taeyeon takes my side with a flashlight from under the covers of her blanket.

"What's that?" She asks me.

I point the bunny to my sketch. "It's my Barbie doll."

Her nose scrunches up, reminding me of the bunny eraser I have on my hand.

"I don't know what that is." She mumbles.

"Of course not, you only like Po...Po...Poruru!"

She swats my pencil to my face and says, "Pororo, dummy!"

I give her a dissastifying grumpy face. She returns with a stick-out of her tongue. We go on about making faces. Sticking our noses high. Wagging our tongues. Making our eyes meet our noses. Suddenly she and I just stop seeing a brighter light, and it was the door opening!

Her brother grumbles, "Taetae, Tiffany-ssi-"

"Pany-yah!" Taeyeon pointed at me.

He rubs his face after a sigh. "Please, get some sleep now?"

"But we're not yet sleepy!!" She whines. I join in with some aegyo, putting my best puppy face.

Jiwoong's lips tilts in one side and he leans at the door. "Just be more quiet now? Umma and appa are already sleeping. And you know how Hayeon is."

We nod excessively and pretend to shush each other softly. We end up zipping our mouths.

Her brother pauses for a moment to huff, and closing the door he whispers, "Alright. Goodnight, little ones."

After he closes the door, we look at each other and cover our giggling faces. Taeyeon turns the flashlight off and I pull the blankets over us both. "How about we try counting some sheep, Taetae?" She jabs me lightly on the rib. "That never works."

I pick at the sore spot. It will eventually go away. "It works for me." I lift a shoulder.

Taeyeon turns to my side and props her chin on her palm. "Yeah? How about you count those sheep while I try to doze off without it?"

"Fine!" I vigorously nod and pull the covers. Taking a deep breath, I slowly mouth, "One sheep. Two sheep. Three sheep. Four sheep. Five sheep--"

"Yah yah yah, stop it!" Tae hushes me with a nudge. "And why do you say it in English? Geez."

I momentarily blink. "But it works better that way..."

"Can't you just count it in your mind?" I could hear the exasperation in her voice.

"Okay...?"

"Okay." She repeats.

I look up to the ceiling and see the glow-in-the-dark star stickers Taetae's dad placed for us. Once more, I count the sheep in my mind. After the ninth sheep, I feel another jab on my side.

"T-Tae!" I hiss.

She opens an eye and says, "What? I can still hear you counting."

I shoot her a vicious look. The ends of her lips trembles then she snorts. Now that I think about it, we must have been little comedians of our own world with inside jokes.

"Sheep." I squeak.

"Meep!" She replies.

I raise a brow and repeat, "Sheep."

"Beep!" There she goes again. What?

"Sheep!"

"Deep!" ...dip?

We continue on for so long, I saying sheep while she says another word. Or words. Or just stuff.

What is sureep?

"What'd you say Tae?" I clutch my aching tummy.

She lifts her nose high. "Aish, it's sleep!"

I clap my hands and laugh. It is hard because I don't want to make so much noise in her house. I see her break into a mischievious grin and her cute dimple surfaces. She looks so cute, it's impossible to think she is boyish. Pft.

"T...Taetae," I whisper after a good laugh.

"C'mon, Pany-yah." She circles my arm. I snuggle into a comfortable position under her arms. "Let's get to sureep." I know she intentionally tries English. I sigh wistfully and mumble, "Night Tae." She hums in return.

I can say that this has been my most favorite night of all.