Chapter 19

Two Hearts

“Hyung?” Yongguk’s eyes flew open to see Jongup across from him. He stood up while taking in the younger male’s expression. He definitely seemed confused and fearful of something but of what he wasn’t sure.

“Jongup, let’s talk somewhere else.” Without waiting for a reply, Yongguk got up and walked towards the stairs up to the roof. He heard soft footsteps follow him up into the open area. Nighttime was falling, the last of the sun hiding behind buildings as the nightlife in Korea came to life with neon signs dotting the scenery. Yongguk turned towards the male and the two stared at each other, a palpable tension arising between them.

“Hyung, I can’t lose her.” Jongup avowed, determined not to back down.

“Why not?” Yongguk countered, his voice a little more harsh than intended.

“Because I love her.”

“Do you think that’s enough? Does she love you back?” Yongguk’s voice became gradually deeper, and angrier than Jongup had ever witnessed.

“It’s enough. And if it isn’t, I will still fight for her. Sae Hee, she’s the one. I can’t let this go.”

“And if I can’t let it go? If I wo-”

“I’ll make you!” The younger exclaimed. Yongguk looked to him in surprise. Never in his life had he seen him yell. Minutes passed before Yongguk let out a small smile to his dongseng. Jongup looked to him in confusion.

“I could never give her away to someone who wouldn’t fight for her. You should go to her, she’s waiting for you.” Yongguk offered a pat to Jongup’s shoulder. The younger studied the older’s expression before giving him a nod and making his way down to your apartment.

Yongguk laid down on his back and watched as the stars twinkle out of the black sky one by one. They looked so beautiful, continuing to shine, oblivious the pain Yongguk was in.

 

You pace the front of the door while looking at your phone time to time, wondering if you should try calling again. Deciding you couldn’t wait anymore, you grab your sweater and open your door, balancing the phone between your ear and shoulder while struggling to get your shoes on. The other line picked up and you freeze in place, straining to hear anything that would help you to find him.

“Jongup? Where are you?” You ask, while still trying to put your other sleeve in your sweater and foot in your shoe.

“I’m here.” He said. Furrowing your eyebrows, you look to your left to see him standing there, an amused smile on his face. You stand quickly and run to him, throwing your arms around him as sobs ripped out of your chest.

“O-Oh my god, I-I-I’m so sorry. Let me e-explain, please.” You splutter out. Jongup’s hand caressed your hair and the other gripped your waist tighter.

“Let’s go inside first.” He muttered, picking you up and walking into the apartment. He placed you on the floor and took off your shoes before taking his off then scooped you back up and walked towards the couch. You sat on the couch and slid away from him, afraid of what he’d say to you. His eyes searched yours for answers.

“Sae Hee, how long have you known Yongguk hyung?” He asked quietly, eyes still searching.

“Six years. Um… We met at the jazz bar my brother works at. I-I-I fell for him and we had something for a couple months. He is my first love. He… He… um… he disappeared after my older brother tricked the both of us thinking we wanted to end it with each other. So since then, I didn’t talk much or do anything. And then I met you, and my life turned around. Jongup, you were the light that brought me out of the darkness a-and I don’t want to lose you. That article, Yongnam called me to pick him up because he was so drunk and I didn’t know how to explain it to you or the other members if I brought him to your dorm so I brought him here but I swear, that’s it. Jongup, pl-”

“Do you still love him?” Jongup asked, his heart clenching painfully. He knew the answer, he could see it in your eyes.

“I… I do. But when I think of the future, I don’t see him in it, I see you there. I see our house, our kids, and our grandkids. I see us as old grandparents together. Not him but you.” You confess, your eyes begging him to believe you.

Seconds, which seemed like hours, passed before Jongup’s arms reached out and pulled you into his lap.

“I believe you. I love you, Cho Sae Hee.” Jongup murmured into your hair. You choke out a sob and smile.

“You know I love you.”