first

spray paints and good records

What good is the warmth of summer, 

without the cold of winter to give it sweetness

John Steinbeck

 


 

It was a cold wintery night when Chanyeol went home, rubbing his arms with his hands. A fireplace was already lit up, perhaps its his mother who did that. He lazily gazed the clock right above the table, and it was already 11:00 in the evening, he sure did a lot now, but he still can't figure out who the heck.


Recently, their principal's always on his raging self every time he would enter the student council's den, and they were having coffee that time. Chanyeol almost spitted his coffee because of the bald principal. Why would he come here of all the sudden? He complains a lot, yells a lot, and it sure irked the officers always like... always. If they had the chance to kick Mr. Principal in his , they would love to do it until he die flying like a UFO.


"Who did that?!" he greeted furiously, returned back by the officers with a confused gaze as they placed the coffee on the table with a loud clunk. What's his problem now?


"Um, what?" asked Chanyeol as he gazed over the principal's bald head. He noticed that it's somehow similar to those of the heads of the roll-on deodorants.


The principal was already shaking, but it's better if he's having a seizure. He scoffed merely for a hundred times already and his insides were already burning. "Who defaced my wall?!"


"Um, what?" this time, Vice President Kim Junmyeon has spoken, bow down. The principal didn't care about their lack of care, and spitted some other words on their soft carpet.


"I want you to catch the culprit! And make sure that you would send him to me or else." he went out with a loud bang of the door. The officers took turns in looking at each other before the Secretary Do Kyungsoo spoke. 


"Maybe President could catch the culprit." he suggested, which all had agreed.


Chanyeol's eyes bulged. "What?! Why me?" he asked.


"Because..." Kyungsoo trailed off and raised his eyebrows up and down at his fellow officers.


"We're having a friendly officer date due to extreme exhaustion, stress, and fatigue." answered Jongin, the sergeant-at-arms before he smiled.


Chanyeol had his eyebrows crunched all the time. "Oh my gosh you. Jongin I expected much from you, I'm your fan! You broke my heart like how you broke the CDs I collected with you moanin---"


"Shut up, hyung." Jongin was red from embarrassment, oh Chanyeol did enjoy his teasing because he was already grinning like crazy.


"Let's go, the coffee shop's closing at 6." Sehun stated as he look at his watch, trying to stop the useless conversation. He stood up and the Treasurer Luhan followed him silently.


"Your treat?"


"No, Junmyeon hyung's." he answered as he nodded his head.


"Why me?!"


"Shut up, let's just go. Goodluck Chanyeol hyung!"


"Yeah! Goodluck!"


"Bye!"


"But I--" the door was closed with a bang.


Remembering how he got into this situation is oh-so-dreadful. He hated doing presidentially presidential stuffs. How is he going to catch the vandal? There are like thousands of kids here in the school and he will find for one or more than one students! Oh my god!


He slipped on his pajamas and slumped at his bed.  Without even a proper position, he snored and dozed his way onto dreamland. 


***


Baekhyun was so happy when he found an old can of spray paint at their garage.


Seeing students at the front of the principal's office, laughing at his artwork made him feel so proud. Isn't he such an artist? He happened to passed by the principal's office and just beside it was a drawing of a bald man. 


He knew the student council president was trying to kill him right now, so he really checked all his actions and tried not to be caught, even if its hard, because the president has eyes cuter--larger than your future. It can catch Baekhyun while saying, 'Accio'.


He held the strap of his bag when Chanyeol passed by. He was also looking at the wall, much to his surprise it looks like he's laughing. He also brought a few painters carrying cans of paint, maybe they will paint it?


"Move aside, make way, student council president here," Chanyeol said while shoving students out of his way. They were looking at him and had dreamy eyes--Baekhyun hated to say this but the president was popular. His eyes, cute face and stuff he doesn't want to elaborate. He watched the president slowly as he spoke in the most notorious and prominent way possible.  


"If I caught who did this—" he was already shaking in laughter anger. "I will promise you—pfft—that—hell—you will not see the sun! Shut up laughing students who are laughing!" he yelled in the most furious way possible and stormed out of the hallways.


Everyone held their breaths when a bald thingy was peeking in the glass window pane. Its grew eyes and it was Principal bald man. "If I caught who did this—" he stopped and coughed because of his horribly low and faked voice. "I promise you that you will not see the sun!" he repeated Chanyeol's notorious speech how dare he?


Everyone moved away and whispered stuffs since the bell already rang. The painters packed their stuffs because there's not much to paint, actually. In the end, Baekhyun was the only one left. He looked right and left and peeked every corner he could peek through. He removed a strap of his bag and rummaged his bag and when his hands felt a metal thingy, he carefully put it out. 


He looked left and right again to see if there's anyone left. Seeing nothing, he wrote 'principal bald headed' right on the painted wall and smiled in satisfaction. He shook his spray paint and just after he placed it in his bag and turned away, the President was looking at him while tutting--and (the 'a' on the and is longer) he was caught.


"Prepare to not see the sun, Baek."


I can't.


***


Chen, or Jongdae, or Baekhyun's cousin, or Baekhyun's partner was laughing at him when he arrived at school. He glared at the younger before shoving a piece of crumpled paper in his mouth.


Jongdae spurted while muttering incoherent words, then glared at his cousin with a curse. "What the ?"


Baekhyun rolled his eyes then took a seat just beside Jongdae. "What's up with you laughing early in the morning?"


Jongdae let out a heartily laugh again. Baekhyun on the other hand put on a straight face, clearly and obviously not enjoying Jongdae's presence. He just didn't mind him for the rest of the hour, since, Jongdae is the loudest in the Kim's family. Even being related to the Vice President Kim Junmyeon, his attitude is indisputably the opposite. He won't question why, since it's already obvious that Jongdae's abnormal.


"You're so tiny." Chanyeol surprises him on recess time while he's busily munching his sandwich. "I bet you would like it if I would tell you to principal."


Baekhyun's eyes widened. Sure, he likes vandalizing; also calling the principal bald for obvious reasons; and also making fun of him, but he's afraid at him as well. He can't understand himself, really, but it's fine because he's awesome and fab.


"N-no you would not..." he muttered silently while looking at his food. He already lose his appetite, and he's small. There's no chance for him to be tall anymore.


"Ok I wo—" Chanyeol stopped talking when he remembered something. "Oops, too late."


Baekhyun didn't sleep well that night.


***


"So did you catch him?" the next day, Chanyeol was lazily walking in the hallways to the school. Only to be greeted by Kim Junmyeon the vice president whole running to complete some paperworks (Chanyeol on the other hand; waterworks). "Principal is looking for you!"


"N-not yet..." Chanyeol lied. He thinks, hardly, if its better not to tell him that he already found who vandalized Principal's wall. But he doesn't want Baekhyun to be punished—he doesn't know himself why. 


"If I..." principal stood up and banged the table hard, "Find another mark at my wall I'm telling you, Chanyeol... I'm telling you."


Chanyeol sighed and went out of the office quietly. He should've told him, but he doesn't want Baekhyun to be punished, but now he's the one to be punished.


He walked to the garden the same day, finding Baekhyun writing again on the walls. He didn't start yet though, only getting ready.


"Hey." he muttered while pointing him. "No vandalizing on walls."


He caught him, again; but he won't tell. He can't because...


"But you already told principal, right?" Baekhyun mentioned irritably. "I'm just enjoying my stay here to the fullest."


Chanyeol scrunched his eyebrows and looked at Baekhyun in the weirdest way possible. "What are you talking about?"


"Shut up. I'm going to be kicked out, don't lie."


"But you aren't." Chanyeol muttered silently. Baekhyun on the other hand stared at him in confusion. "I didn't tell you to principal, I was joking." Chanyeol sighed and drew circles using his foot. "And even if I did, that's not gonna be the reason why you would be expelled. That's just a small thing. Maybe you would clean bathrooms and stuff like that but can't be expelled." 


Baekhyun blinked; thought. What the ? He was worried for no reason? He rolled his eyes and sighed. "I'm going to..." Chanyeol waited for the word. Please not be kill.


"To... kill you by spraying you paint."


Chanyeol's eyes doubled its size and stared at Baekhyun, much to his surprise he's already running while holding his precious spray paint. "D-don't!"


"Argggggghhhh!"


Chanyeol grabbed the spray paint to stop him. "Oh my God let me go!"


"No I-I won't! You mother freaking giant you wouldn't get away with this—" Baekhyun was hitting him with his hand before trailing off when they heard a familiar voice.


"What the heck is going on in here?!"


The two straightened up when they heard principal's voice. Chanyeol hid the spray paint behind his back. Oh, he sure is in trouble, he was ready for that. Baekhyun's eyes widened and spoke to cover him up.


"P-principal, sir, i-it was me w—" Baekhyun didn't finish his sentence when a low voice stopped him.


"It was me." Chanyeol stepped forward and showed the can of spray paint to the principal. "I'm the one vandalizing your walls. Baekhyun tried to stopped me, I'm sorry, Sir."


The principal was already reddening in anger. "Y-you... the student council president did those writings?! Those writings who were mocking me?! Chanyeol, I expected much from you, yet this is the attitude you will show?!" Chanyeol was already looking at the floor. Baekhyun on the other hand was biting his lips and was ready to cry. He caused all this trouble, Chanyeol was already stopping him, yet he didn't listen. Chanyeol didn't tell him to principal, he also covered up for him, and he saved him. 


Chanyeol...


"Follow me, Chanyeol. Be ready for the consequences." 


The principal walked away from the garden. Chanyeol looked down at Baekhyun and smiled. "Don't blame yourself. Don't cry..." he handed him a handkerchief before leaving. Baekhyun looked at it and clutched the handkerchief tight. 


It's all his fault.


***


"B-but it wasn't your fault, Chanyeol!" Jumyeon yelled at him while he on the other hand was biting his lips.


"Yeah, hyung. You were with us when the incident happened!" Sehun muttered with eyebrows crossed. 


"But I don't want him to be caught." Chanyeol pouted and sighed. They were questioning why the principal blamed him for all and decided there would be no student council president for a week. And the principal would be the one who will act like one. Chanyeol on the other hand will be some 'normal' student and have no duties (just studies) for a week. Everybody would want that, but for Chanyeol, its like hell. 


Kyungsoo blinked for a few times. "You don't want who caught?"


Chanyeol flattened his lips into a firm line. "Baekhyun."


Luhan cupped his cheeks and screamed internally, Sehun did the same and they faced each other. "Kyaaaah Chanyeollie likes Baekhyunnie~"


They did the monkey dance, some dance where you have both of your arms raised on your side like you're carrying a dumbbell and crouching and standing and crouching again, just like a monkey. (with special effects like: ooh ooh aah aah)


"W-what?" Chanyeol asked and blinked. He.... liking Baekhyun? Oh no, no, no, no. He wouldn't, right? He wouldn't like a vandal who he was trying to catch due to obvious reasons and when he saw he cry, he could feel his world crashing...


Right?


"Silly, Chanyeol."


***


"Why the are you crying, Byun?" Jongdae asked while watching his cousin wearing a cute jacket and cuddling cozily in the closet filled with pillows with an ice cream in his hands. Half crying, half dying. He was like that for three hours already, and Jongdae had enough of the cries he was hearing. He thought it was from the sad romantic movie he was watching, but the movie was finished yet he can still hear muffled cries. 


Baekhyun sniffed and stuffed more ice cream in his mouth. "I-It's my fault!" he cried, getting a ball pen and trying to escape the cruel world by cutting his finger.


"What the are doing with your finger?"


Baekhyun pouted and wrote on the wall instead. "I tried to kill myself, but it hurts if it's in the pulse, so I cut my finger instead."


Jongdae tried not to face palm, tried not to, so he hit Baekhyun instead. 


"You -jabbing dinosaur what did you do that for?!" he asked while massaging the part he was hit with a four 7 inches dinosaur paw. He scooped another ice cream and put it in his mouth. 


"Oh, by the way you don't need to tell me what happened. I know exactly... every detail of the story."


Baekhyun bit his inner cheek. 


"Problem: Why is Baekhyun crying? Given: Baekhyun. Solution: He needed to see Chanyeol. Final answer: He's in love."


Baekhyun heaved a long sigh, "I am. Yesterday, now, tomorrow, 'till forever."