Of Confrontation and Conclusion

Of Crushes and Fluttering Hearts

She got into Seoul University as her mother wanted and she supposes it’s an achievement, but it sometimes felt like more of burden. An example would be the fact that it was her first weekend away from any reading assignments, and her mother wants her home to present her as yet another trophy of achievement. The problem is that she isn’t her siblings, available to be show puppets and it should be enough for her mother that she attends Seoul as was expected of her.

 

Kang Joo is at an MT with her college mates and Ha Kyung has been too caustic and reclusive to make any real friends on campus, leaving loneliness and books as her only companion for the weekend. But, she wants to be reckless after the intensive rule following she’s been doing since orientation.

 

Ha Kyung wants to something out of turn and unexpected.

 

She calls the only person to ever make her feel that way. It’s anyone’s guess whether or not he changed his number after high school, but she has blind faith that he still hasn’t –to be honest, she needs to see him.

 

An anxious beat and worrying of her bottom lip, is sated with a simple “Song?” when he finally picks up.

 

It’s embarrassing how she still feels that overwhelming relief at the sound of his voice. Not to mention that she’s disturbingly elated that he not only hasn’t changed numbers, but also still has her number saved. Is it even healthy that her high school crush is still resilient even after all this time? “Who else will it be? I’m surprised you still have deleted it, my number?”

 

“The same goes for you,” he returns calmly and maybe it’s the need to know that it’s okay to call him that she also hears a smile in his lazy tone. “Is there a reason you’re calling me like this? Should I wonder if you missed me?” It’s light and teasing and it’s stupid that a smile is already tugging at her lips.

 

“Where are you, I’ll come to you,” She’s aware that she hasn’t denied his words, and her own words work against her horribly by sounding so desperate. “I’m bored. I need to be somewhere else other than here,” she adds as explanation, and even she knows it’s weak.

 

He however humors her and tells her, but insists on coming to her instead. They compromise on meeting in a pub halfway between them, and she did need a drink anyway.

 

He’s upgraded from a scooter to a sleek black motorcycle and somehow she isn’t surprised. It makes him seem more dangerous and off limits, more so than before but she’s intrigued like she always been. Damn it if those silly butterflies still don’t exist, especially when he catches her eye and smirks, because smiles were never their forte.

 

She counters any giddiness, by walking past him chin in the air and arrogance in full display expecting him to follow. His eyes are on her the entire time, but he doesn’t hop to her tune like she expects and it isn’t surprising making her smile to herself. But that smile isn’t present when she turns to face him with a raised eyebrow and the slightest displays of annoyance known to be a Song Ha Kyung signature “Are you coming?”

 

He sniggered in amusement and she refuses to acknowledge that it still gives her butterflies. He trudges toward her in a lazy saunter, hands shoved in his leather coat to starve off the cold and again it isn’t at all surprising because he’s always followed her words no matter her tone.

 

For a while they drink and eat in silence, and it’s not as uncomfortable as it should be. She steals glances every once in a while, and she feels his gaze on her more than once when she pretends not to notice. They seem to still be playing the safety game, overly cautious even when blunt with their conversations otherwise.

 

It’s frustration that makes her drink, not enough to get drunk but enough to make it seem so. He’s unconcerned it seems, but then again not quite because his sipping is cautious because she assumes he thinks it prudent that one of them not be inebriated.

 

“You haven’t changed you know,” she tells him, careful to slur her words the slightest to make her act more believable. “You still hide.” He’s not the only one, but this isn’t about her.

 

He watches her for a long moment, “and you still run. But, it seems your tired now.” He counters, and she feels under attack. She wanted a sly confrontation that ended in her favor, but he turns it to his favor. She still could lose to him in this way, and it’s telling.

 

Just like his observation, she runs. “We should go. I’ll be locked out of the dorm, if I’m not back in time.” It isn’t entirely a lie, but she’s three hours early to risk getting locked out. She leaves him with the bill as well as payback of throwing her off so easily.

 

-=O=-

 

In a familiar fashion, she wraps her arms round his waist and rests her head against his back as he rides them back to campus. Her mind ticking away to think of something to say that would catch him off guard and leave her with a small victory. The ride turns out to be too short to come up with something truly effective.

 

She ready to walk away without a word, but he latches onto her wrist and she’s too stubborn to be a coward. So she faces him. “I know. That time in your apartment what you tried to hide in the dark, I know about it. Why are you a coward?” It’s confrontational and she doesn’t care.

 

The effect she expected her words to have doesn’t present. He’s still holding on to her wrist and looking at her critically, and she’s about ready to squirm under his gaze. “Coward?” he repeats as if absurd.

 

She’s about to reply with something caustic as is her nature, but he tugs her close. Too close for comfort, because her heart is beating wildly and her breath catches. His face is inches from hers and she’s scared but anticipating his next move. “Aren’t you the same? You invited me here, why don’t you say what you really want to say?”

 

It’s an opportunity she knows, but it’s also terrifying. Rejection would be embarrassing, after being so confrontational. She her dry lips, and hopes whatever she spouts is sufficient. “Fine,” she admits, and utters those terrifying words. “I like you. But you won’t do anything about it, right?”

 

He wants to reply, but she doesn’t want to hear rejection, and covers his lips with hers in a hasty kiss.

 

The hand wrapped around her wrist, loosen and she thinks she can finally escape the embarrassment. She’s ready to pull away and prove him right, by running away fast. But he doesn’t let her, wrapping an arm around her waist pulling her closer as hand cups her face. It’s him to kiss her this time, his is filled with intention while hers was something done in desperate haste.

 

She snakes her arms round his neck, and allows him to kiss her. It certainly isn’t her first kiss, but it’s one she’s been waiting for much longer than she cares to admit.