Chapter 1

When Two Worlds Collide

Today's the big day.

I'm working with EXO. It would be a simple job really, if this was just a simple production. But this one involved traveling to all sorts of places, which was fine because EXO was also completing a tour in the places we needed to go. However, there is a lot to be done. We have a couple photo shoots and a drama version of one of their songs. And unfortunately, it was involving the whole group and I'm a huge EXO-L. No joke. I have a bias in both groups and an overall bias, but the fact that I'll have to talk to them is just crazy! 

While I freaked out on the inside, everything I could see was blurry, darkening even, cold, silent. I can hear my own breathing as I sat perfectly still. Until I wasn't still anymore.

"Kai!" a shout finally brought me back from my thoughts. I was being shaken by Ari, who was kind of my boss but at the same time he's not. He brushed his golden locks away as he sighed.

"Where were you?"

"In la-la-land!" my best friend's voice teasingly came from behind me. I felt the heat come rushing back at me quickly as my face started getting warmer as the realization slowly came to me.

"I'm sorry! What's happening?" I looked from her back to Ari but then took a double take at what was in front of me. Or rather, who was in front of me. My face got even hotter as I fully realized that I was just spacing out while EXO was right in front of me.

And to think I was just thinking about them! This is such an embarrassing first impression!

"I'm so sorry!" I rushed to my feet and bowed to them politely. "I'm Umemoto Kai, the production assistant. Please let me know if you need anything or have any questions at all."

"You don't have to bow that low! And please raise your head, you don't have to be so polite," one voice said and I looked up to see that a lot of them were smiling at me. I gave a small smile in return, to afraid to mess up again.

"Oh, you don't understand. She's a huge fan of yours, so she'll be talking politely for a while. You may have to yell at her in order for it to stop though," Hien clapped a hand on my shoulder and Ari started laughing at how I whipped my head to look at Hien and gaped at her with the widest eyes I could possibly make.

"In fact, she's a fan of Kai and Lay in particular! It's funny thought really, because her name is Kai and Kai's stage name is Kai!" she continued before I stepped in front of her and slapped both my hands over . I could hear EXO laughing behind me and I grimaced.

"Oh my god, Hien!" I shout.

"Look at how pretty that pink is! Kai, hold still!" Ari shouts as well and a shutter sounds followed by a flash. I shot him a glare and he smirks, throwing his hands up and backing away just a bit.

"Anyways, now that Hien's done embarrassing Kai in front of her loved ones, why don't I give you all some time before we start preparing for today's shoot?" Ari turned to EXO with a innocent smile.

"Ari~" I whined as I stomped my foot gently.

"I'm just teasing Kai! It was bound to be found out anyway!" Ari shrugged happily and shook his head.

"I hate you both," I glared at Hien just for good measure and flopped back into my seat sulkily.

"Love you too, sweetie!" Hien wrapped her arms around me from behind. I huffed and rolled my eyes, but I wouldn't let them win. Even if EXO wasn't laughing at our antics again. "Give in, you know you want to. Then you can sulk all you want."

"Leave me alone," I turned my head the other way and pushed her arms off me. Hien came around to my front and sat down on my, forcing all her weight on me as well. 

"Hien! Get off!" I groaned in pain and she let up a bit.

"Are you going to stop?"

"Yes! Now don't ever do that again!" She smiled happily as she hopped up and bounced her way to Ari's side.

"Have fun everyone!" With that, she pat him on the back and then walked away towards the dressing room. Ari then gave me a smile before turning to walk away with Tao and Kris, who wanted to hear about what they were going to be doing. Because I didn't want to be awkward and stay with EXO, I called out to Hien, who in turn looked over her shoulder at me with a grin and jogged in the dressing room without closing the door.

She was welcoming me in and we both knew that. I went in after her and looked around to find her in front of a mirror, just leaning against it and waiting. I went over to her and gave her arm a punch.

"Stop embarrassing me!" I whined and then gave her another punch.

"Alright! Alright! Enough! I'll stop!" she giggled. However, we both knew that what she meant to say was that she'll let up but she's still going to tease me. I guess that's fine for now since it's not going to stop anyway.

"Thank you," I sighed and the grin on her face widened. I was already at the doorway when she called out to me.

"Ohorat!"

"I'm going to kill you!" I called back and she clutched her stomach and doubled over in laughter. I huffed and decided to start working. I went around to all the staff members in our group and EXO's managers to see if anyone wanted me to buy anything while I was out. During that time, I also did head counts and asked the managers about what drinks to buy for the boys. Having a complete list of tasks, I went back to my-no, Ari's seat and remade it on my phone, putting all the things in order and grouping the notes I put near them.

I told Ari that I was off to do my morning runs and to call me if anyone needed anything. I also gave each of the managers my phone number as well in case they or EXO wanted anything. I left our building, Summerbolt Productions, and found my car in the employee parking lot before driving to my first destination. After an hour of going all over the world, not literally of course, I finally made it back to the parking lot where some others from our group were waiting to help me unload everything and take it back. I got them all to carry drinks instead of anything else so they wouldn't get cold and then I took as much of the things as I could and locking the doors.

I had to carry things in trips and help people find what drink was for who before I was finally done and started helping give out the drinks. I came across two final coffees and two chocolate bubble teas and instantly knew who they were for. I went over to where Ari was doing camera tests, preparing for the start of the shoot and staff members scuttled around, setting up the set as quickly but perfectly as possible.

"Mr. Cloud," I said and handed him one of the bubble teas.

His face lit up like it always does when he saw this and he bounced happily on his feet. "Thank you, Ms. Umemoto."

"You're very welcome. It's cute how you react to this even though I always get you the same thing."

"It's delicious!"

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to offend you," I put up a hand in defense and backed away before heading for the dressing room with the other drinks. I knew exactly who these belonged to even without having to look at my notes. I gave Sehun the other bubble tea while he was getting his hair done and he smiled very happily and thanked me, saying it was never to early to have bubble tea. I laughed at how cute he was about it and then nervously moved on to the last person, my heart hammering in my chest.

Am I supposed to be completely at ease when I talk to him? But it would feel awkward talking now after what happened earlier. But he's my bias and he's right there so why not talk to him? You can do this, Kai! You're almost there!

And then just as I was about to get close, he looked over and saw me so I took a sharp turn to the right and walked away.

Idiot! Now he thinks you're weird! 

I face palmed myself instead of inwardly doing it and felt like someone was looking at me, so I turned and saw Luhan smirk at me before being ushered away by a stylist unni.

Now he thinks you're amusing! Great job, Kai! Really great job.

I my heel and steeled myself for actually giving Kai his drink but Hien passed by me and I grabbed the sleeve of her leather jacket.

"Hien! Help me!" I pleaded with puppy eyes. She smiled and gave a small sigh before nodding.

"What do you need help with?"

"Can you give this to Kai for me? I can't bring myself to go near him."

"But he's your bias! You should be running at top speed to stand next to him!" she laughed.

"It's not funny! I was walking to him and he looked at me and I turned away so fast it could have been inhuman!"

"Oh my god, for real? That's crazy."

"Not literally, but you know what I mean!"

"Ohorat~" she winked before taking such drink from my hand and going in Kai's direction. I ran over to a rack to peck over it and she followed me with her eyes and a devious smirk on her face before talking to Kai. She handed the drink to him and then after a bit, she pointed at me and Kai turned so he could look too. I didn't duck fast enough and our eyes met before I felt a blush creep onto my face again.

I held a thumbs up and made a questioning face and he smiled for me and nodded, giving me a thumbs up right back. I nearly swooned before I caught myself and nodded back before briskly walking away. Even in a loud and crowded room, I could still pick up Hien's cackling from the doorway.