Power of Nine

Power of Nine

 

 

“How is it going with the contract renewals from the girls?” The president of SM asked his secretary.

“Good sir. Sooyoung and Yoona were easy because we were able to threaten them from being banned from any of the major networking stations meaning they couldn’t get any drama parts if they tried.”

“Ah good to hear. Who else signed?”

“Well you know TaeTiSeo already signed that extension contract so they could continue as a subgroup thus Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun were already forced into the SNSD extension.”

“Yes I remember.”

“Hyoyeon and Sunny were a bit more difficult, but we found their weakness. Sunny wanted to continue on radio and you know we have many friends in the stations. As for Hyoyeon she wanted to separate and focus on being a dance teacher/choreographer so we just offered SM as the only place she could pursue that dream.”

“Good good. What about Yuri and Jessica?”

“They haven’t signed.” The assistant said in almost a whisper.

The president immediately stood up and yelled, “What do you mean they didn’t sign?? We need all nine or there is no profit!”

“I know sir, but they are harder to handle.”

“How so? Jessica’s future success is with modeling we can handle that or something with her sister? As for Yuri...do you know what she wants for the future?”

“Yuri has been very quiet lately and Jessica is finding success in China which is hard for us to control, but I think I have an idea to make both of them sign.”

The SM president propped his elbows on the table and looked at his secretary in amusement, “I am listening.”
“If SONES say the power of nine is so great, then what if we threaten that?”

“You mean use the other girls in SNSD to persuade them?”

“Of course. Right now Jessica and Yuri don’t have any secrets we needed to hide from the press but the other girls do. What about using that?”

“Not a bad idea. Why don’t you call the two girls in and I will discuss the new contract conditions for them.”

“Right away sir.”

The next day Yuri and Jessica made their way into the SM president’s office with a slight sense of fear thinking the president had some new tactics up his sleeve to make them sign. “So girls. I just want to ask why you don’t want to do an extension with SNSD.”

Yuri spoke first, “Basically I don’t need it. I don’t even feel like a part of the group anymore. I mean I barely get any parts these days and you haven’t helped promote me in any individual activities. I mean I am ignored as is.”

“I see. Jessica what about you?”

“Like Yuri said, I don’t need it. I pushed all my individual activities into China and could live off that the rest of my life.”

“You aren’t worried about Krystal getting involved?”

The mention of Jessica’s sister made her blood boil but she remained calm in front of the president and gave him an objective answer, “I think we both know you don’t want to mess with her or her group. Right now Krystal is one of the most popular actresses which you can exploit her for so much more money and F(x) is one of the most popular Korean groups in China and the USA. Why would you want to throw away your potential profits?” Jessica hated herself for speaking of her sister that way but she had to reason with a man who only saw money and she hated to admit but Krystal was one of the big money makers for SM right now.

“Touché Jessica. But what about your other sisters?”

“I only have Krystal.” Jessica spoke.

“I only have a brother and he isn’t in this corrupt business.” Yuri stated.

“Not blood family. Your other sisters in SNSD. How could you abandon them when they already agreed?”

“You know that agreement is null and void if we don’t sign and we know what you did to make them!”

“Then what about your precious SONES? Disappointing your fans is huge too.”

“SONES are with us for life whether we go on as a group or find our individuality. You think too low of our fans.”

The president was getting irritated with the smug looks on Yuri and Jessica’s faces so he finally revealed his cards, “If you won’t agree we will make you. Remember that. If you don’t want your sisters to get hurt, I suggest you sign now but if you don’t, I will make them pay.”

With that last statement the president ushered the girls out before calling his assistant back in, “Yes sir?”

“They have a till after the Christmas showcases. If they don’t sign by then, we start the new year with a bang.”

“Of course sir.”

-------------------------

Jessica entered Yuri’s apartment before settling on the couch, “What do you mean he will make our sister’s pay?”

Yuri handed Jessica a wine cooler before settling next to her, “I am not sure but you know he plays dirty.”

“I know. SM’s connections are no joke in Korea that is why I got out.” Jessica furrowed her eyebrows as she took a sip from her drink.

Yuri snuggled closer to Jessica as she took a sip, “I know that is how he got the other girls to sign. Good thing his eyes are blind to our little secret.”

“I am still mad at you for spreading that stupid Tyler Kwon rumor about me. Why couldn’t you take the blow?”

Yuri caressed Jessica’s thigh, “Sorry babe, but yours was more believable since they caught me with that other woman that one time.”

“I am mad about that too.” Jessica folded her arms in anger as she shifted away from Yuri’s advancements.

“Sica baby you know I only did that cause we broke up for a year and my brain was clouded. I apologized a million times even though we weren’t together during that time. Why can’t you be happy that we are together now?”

Jessica finished her wine cooler before putting the glass on the table, “Fine. I know you made it up to me already but it still gets on my nerves when I remember it.”

Yuri cupped Jessica’s face before inching closer, “Just remember. Once we are free from SM we can escape this together.”

Jessica smiled, “I can’t wait.” Jessica then leaned closer to capture Yuri into a heated kiss.

-------------------------

Christmas ended and the New Year had come. Yuri and Jessica were enjoying their time together before they went to their separate parties the next morning. Like clockwork, Jessica and Yuri’s phone beeped at the same time.

Yuri groaned as Jessica broke away from her advances to get her phone, “.”

Yuri quickly grabbed her phone and read the message out loud, “Girls we have problems. SM announced Sooyoung and Yoona to be in a relationship with two actors.” Yuri quickly looked at Jessica, “Did you get that message from Hyoyeon too?”

Jessica was biting her lip as she went through all the major news sites, “That scumbag. So that is what he meant by hurting them.”

“You mean the president?”

“Yea. It looks like he is fishing out their secrets to the press.”

“Jessica lets not jump to conclusions yet. We don’t know if it is him or the press right now.”

“I know it is him.”

“How about we judge from the SONES reactions to this news before going to the president.”

“Fine. We can wait for now.” Jessica said hesitantly.

----------------------------

“Hyoyeon assault from ex-boyfriend and attempted suicide.” Jessica almost smashed her phone when she read that. “No way would Hyoyeon do that!”

Yuri saw Jessica turning fierce so she quickly went to hug the girl, “Sica calm down. We will go to the president and tell him to stop. I think this one was out of hand. All of us know Hyoyeon better.”

“When I see that president I am going to beat the out of him and tear up that precious contract in his face!”

Yuri laughed at her cute girlfriend’s little tantrum, “Okay okay. I will be there to help kick him once you did your beating.”

Jessica laughed, “I knew you always had my back Kwon.”

“Of course Jung.”

-------------------------------

The president smiled when he saw the two girls returning to his office, “I see you are back.”

Jessica almost went up to the president to grab his collar but Yuri quickly intervened, “What are you trying to pull?! Are you trying to hurt the group’s image?!”

The president intertwined his fingers and leaned back into his chair relaxed, “They are adults. They can date or not. But I don’t think that is the question at hand. What do you think about signing that contract?”

“Like hell I want to work for a monster like you!” Jessica retorted while still being held back by Yuri.

“Do as you like, but it is up to you when these dating scandals stop.”

Jessica sighed before both left the office.

Once outside the office Jessica looked at Yuri with worry, “Should we sign? I don’t want the girls to get hurt.”

“But we are doing this to help them in the future. I mean it can’t get much worse.”

-----------------------------

A few months later, Jessica and Yuri were proven wrong when they heard about Tiffany confirmed to be dating. Then not too long after Taeyeon’s dating news spread. Suddenly SNSD became the target of 2pm and EXO crazy fan girls putting their sisters in physical danger.

Jessica and Yuri talked about the consequences of their actions and they decided that enough was enough.

“Back again?” The president smiled smugly.

Jessica and Yuri sat down on the chair in defeat, “we get it. You win.”

“You are making the right choice.”

Jessica and Yuri quickly signed the papers and handed it to the president, “just clear up the mess you made and promise to not hurt my girls.” Jessica sighed.

“I wouldn’t dream of tainting my best girl group.” The president stood up to shake their hands but both cooly denied while walking out the door.

-----------------------------

All nine girls gathered, “What happened?”

Jessica sighed while playing with her fingers, “We signed.”

Taeyeon slid her fingers through her hair, “We said we would be fine. You didn’t need to do that.”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon with pleading eyes, “But all of you were getting hurt and would continue to get hurt if we didn’t. How can we just watch?”

Yuri piped in, “Yea! We are sisters! We need to look out for each other. We can’t let our selfish wants come in between what really matters.”

All the girls smiled knowing that the strength to conquer their futures was always rooted in the fact that they were together. No matter the obstacles they would face, they knew they would face them together.

 

 

~END~