Chapter 3

My Sweet Cakes

Yuri was wiping her Scrambler but her mind was far away. It took her to the night when Jessica sort of confessed her heart to her. It was really weird and random but it bothered her a lot.

“What am I supposed to answer to that? I hardly know you.”

“You can take your time. We can be friends.”

“Huh? But you just said you like me.”

“Yes, but if it takes a while for you to like me back, then I don’t mind being friends with you.”

“You’re really weird, Jessica.”

Jessica just smiled as she moved closer towards Yuri. She sat beside her and then took Yuri’s hand. Yuri didn’t pull it away either. She just stared at their hands intertwined together.

“I know my heart so well. If I’m in love with someone, my heart will tell me right away. I don’t have second thoughts when I confessed. I like you since the first time I saw you.”

“That was when I saw you .”

Jessica laughed.

“I didn’t even realize I was . But it felt like in a movie when everything just slowed down; even time stopped for us as I tried to capture your face with my memory.”

“That serious?”

“Yes, it’s that serious.”

“But you went on to make fun of me.”

“I just needed to find the excuse to make sure that I can meet you again.”

“You’re evil and smart.”

“You’re such a dork. But you’re cute that way.”

“Is that the reason why you like me?”

Jessica’s cheeks were flushing red. Yuri was amused.

“I guess so.”

Yuri was loss for words.

“KWON YURI!”

Yuri stood up immediately when she heard her name. She was surprised to find the same devil who conquered her mind; stood there waving at her. Yuri complied by waving back at her. The lady smiled before making her way towards Yuri who was rooted to the ground; her hand still wiping her scrambler.

“Nice bike.”

“Uh, thanks.”

“You look hot by the way.”

“Jessica, what are you doing here?”

Yuri cut the lady off immediately. She was too nervous.

“Relax, I’m just here to buy some bread and cakes. What are you doing? There are no deliveries today?”

“There are but Yoona’s still baking them so I guess I’ll be moving out later.”

“Okay.”

Jessica was looking down at her feet; suddenly both were awkward with each other. But not for long, Hyoyeon appeared in front of them.

“Kwon Yuri, do you want some pastries?”

“Can I have two?”

“Why? You’re so greedy.”

Hyoyeon came forward; not realizing Jessica was behind her. She turned and finally realized it.

“Oh, you have company.”

“Hyoyeon, this is Jessica.”

“Jessica? Why is the name so familiar?”

Hyoyeon was trying to recall and Yuri was asking her to shut up. She was about to put her hand over Hyoyeon’s mouth but Hyoyeon was agile to escape.

“OH THAT’S RIGHT! YOU SAW HER !”

“Aish.”

“Hi, I’m Jessica. Yes, she saw me .”

“JESSICA!”

“Just ignore her!  I’m Hyoyeon. Wow, you look really hot.”

“Kim Hyoyeon, shut up before I finish up your pastries.”

“I’ve already eaten some. Yoona asked me to bring those out for you. You can share with Jessica. I won’t disturb you.”

“YA!”

Hyoyeon ran off before Yuri could grab hold of her. She stuck her tongue out when she was safely far in distance and Yuri showed her the middle finger. And then Hyoyeon disappeared back into the shop; leaving the two awkward ladies alone.

“News spread really fast about my moments.”

“They love to make fun of me. I hope you’re not offended.”

“Nah, I think your friend is fun and lovable.”

“So you like her too?”

Yuri bit her tongue. Why did she have to sound like as though she was jealous? But Jessica was smart enough to catch on. She grinned.

“Are you jealous?”

“No.”

“You are.”

“I’m not. I was just curious.”

“Curiosity kills the cat, you know?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Jessica didn’t reply her; she grabbed a pastry from Yuri’s hand and bit into it. She managed a sly grin and a playful wink before she left Yuri alone; bewildered with her actions.

“YA! What’s that supposed to mean? And why did you eat my pastry?”

“It’s mean for me. You already have one in the other hand.”

“Where are you going?”

“I’ve already known the actual truth of your heart.”

“What?”

“I know you like me but you pretend like you don’t.”

“I didn’t say anything and I’m not jealous!”

“I’m sure you will fall for me. It just takes time.”

Jessica jumped into her car and waved goodbye. Yuri was completely baffled.

“What the hell just happened?”

Yuri was in disbelief.

-

Yoona watched as Yuri mumbled quietly as she took the cakes from the table. Yoona frowned.

“What are you mumbling about?”

“Huh?”

“You have been mumbling since just now. What’s wrong?”

“Don’t ask me. I’m so baffled by Jessica.”

“What’s wrong with her?”

“I told you she confessed to me, right?”

Yoona nodded.

“Then just now she told me she knows the truth of my heart. She said I’ll fall for her.”

“Will you?”

Yuri rolled her eyes at Yoona.

“I didn’t even mention anything. She just assumed that I would.”

“What if she’s right?”

Yuri snapped her neck and glared at Yoona. Yoona shrugged her shoulders.

“Anything can happen.”

“She’s not for me.”

“Why?”

“She’s out of my league.”

“She likes you.”

“But we won’t fit well. And stop confusing me. Where’s the address for this?”

Yoona pulled out the invoice and passed it to Yuri. The girl snatched it and then made her way out of the bakery.

“Be careful.”

“I will as long as Jessica doesn’t appear out of nowhere.”

“She likes you. I’m sure she won’t try to harm you.”

“Shut up. I’m leaving now.”

“Take care.”

Yuri left immediately. Yoona was amused. Yuri seemed to be nervous ever since Jessica, their client, confessed her heart. Yoona thought it was weird but it was more like cutely weird. Who would have thought Yuri could attract someone like Jessica. She was just lucky that Jessica was using threats as an excuse to get Yuri do her bid.

Yoona had some free time so she decided to clear up the kitchen. She has no orders to make for now and decided to help Hyoyeon with the sales. She was halfway through the cleaning when Taeyeon suddenly appeared beside her; grinning away.

“What’s up with you?”

“There is a hot gorgeous girl looking for you.”

“Hot gorgeous girl? Are you sure? Normally such girls will be looking for you.”

“That was what I thought so. But you beat the record. She’s really gorgeous.”

“Who the hell are you talking about?”

“She said she knows you and she wants to see you.”

“What’s her name?”

“Tiffany Hwang.”

“Oh.”

“Oh? Hey, I know that look!”

Taeyeon was pointing her finger at Yoona.

“What?”

“You know her too!”

“Of course I know her. She’s our client. I made cakes for her before.”

“How the hell did she slip from my radar?”

“Because you were lazy and skipped off during work. I had to entertain her.”

“Oh, damn it! Kim Hyoyeon’s fault!”

“I don’t care. Take this.”

Yoona shoved the mop to Taeyeon.

“What am I supposed to do?”

“Continue to clear up the kitchen. I’ll see what she wants.”

“But I want to see her too!”

“I’ll introduce her to you if you clear up this place.”

“You promise!?”

“Yes, yes. Now go and mop the floor.”

Yoona didn’t wait for Taeyeon to reply and made her way out of the kitchen. Tiffany was browsing through the chocolate bread in front of her. She was counting something.

“What are you counting?”

Tiffany was startled but soon relaxed when she saw Yoona’s smiling face.

“I was just wondering which bread has the most chocolate chips.”

“Oh? They have the same amount. I’m fair like that.”

“So it doesn’t matter which bread I eat; all of them have the same number of chocolate chips?”

Yoona nodded.

“Awesome.”

“Just grab whichever bread you want. It’s on the house.”

“REALLY?!”

Yoona nodded again.

“You’re so cool like that. But I just love to eat chocolate bread.”

“I see.”

Yoona suddenly took the tray and thongs as she went around the shelves; picking up bread with just chocolate on them. She explained the type of breads her bakery has as Tiffany listened attentively. Soon, the tray was filled with only chocolate bread and nothing else.

“Wow, these are a lot of bread.”

“You can share with your friends.”

“That’ll be great. They love your cake! How much are they?”

“I told you; it’s on the house.”

“What? It will be a loss for your business.”

“It’s okay. We’ll be fine.”

Yoona packed the bread into packages and handed them over to Tiffany. She smiled widely.

“You’re so nice.”

“You’re my customer. I’m doing this so that you’ll only come back to this bakery to buy your confectionary goodies.”

“You bet I will.”

“So where are you going now?”

“I’m going to work.”

Yoona finally realized Tiffany was in her office wear. She was wearing a white blouse with a black skirt. And her black blazer was hung neatly on her left arm. No wonder Taeyeon said she’s gorgeous.

“I didn’t realize you’re wearing your office wear.”

“It’s okay. I look different, huh?”

Yoona nodded.

“I’m a financial adviser. I have to meet some clients later. These will be great for them.”

Tiffany lifted her paper bags up; Yoona has packed the bread neatly.

“Okay, good luck then.”

“Thanks, Yoona.”

“Be safe.”

“I will.”

Tiffany took her handbag and made her way out of the bakery. Yoona followed her and stood at the doorway when Tiffany got into her car. She wore her black specs and ignited the engine. She then turned to look at Yoona. She smiled widely.

Yoona was taken aback. Her heart was shaken. It felt like as though Mr Cupid has shot an arrow through her heart.

“Bye Yoona!”

“Uh, bye.. bye Tiffany.”

Tiffany’s car zoomed off and Yoona looked on as the car disappeared from view. She was still baffled by her heartstrings.

“What the hell. Why is my heart pounding so fast when Tiffany smiles at me?”

Yoona was bewildered.

-

“Hi, there’s a delivery for Soo Jung.”

Yuri was explaining into the speaker.

“Oh, okay. Someone will be right out.”

“Okay.”

Yuri took out her helmet and carefully took out the cake box. She then stood next to the gate while waiting. She was feeling good as this was the last cake to be delivered. She was in a good mood. Jessica was way behind now.

“YURI!”

Well, not for long. She was stunned to find Jessica running towards the gate. Yuri looked at the address in a hurry before turning back. Jessica was putting her arm around her shoulder.

“Why is it you again?!”

“Why can’t it be me?”

“Your name is Soo Jung?”

“That’s my sister. Why are you so curious about my Korean name?”

“I’m not even close! I was just stating it because it was written here.”

Yuri was pointing to the invoice. But Jessica shrugged it away and cupped Yuri’s cheeks with her hands.

“You’re so cute. I’ll tell you.”

“I don’t wish to know!”

“But I want you to know!”

“What for?!”

“Remember this well. My name is Jung Soo Yeon.”

Jessica took the cake from Yuri and ran all the way in; leaving Yuri blinking her eyes in confusion.  She was really frustrated with Jessica’s actions. She couldn’t decipher what the girl was thinking of.

“What the hell, Jung Soo Yeon?!”

-

“Soo Young, are you alright?”

Soo Young was down with flu. So she couldn’t go for a meeting with a supplier. She called Yoona to go on her behalf instead.

“I’m down with bad flu. I need you to go in my place for a meeting with a supplier.”

“Me?”

“Yes, among you, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon, you’re my best choice.”

“What’s wrong with unnies?”

“Taeyeon cannot talk. She only flirts. And Hyoyeon will change the venue from a restaurant to a club. You should know how she would react with strangers and how she would try to overcome the awkwardness.”

“Okay, you’ve got a point there. I’ll go then.”

“The supplier is a lady. I’ll text you the restaurant and address.”

“Okay. You take care.”

“I will.”

Yoona hung up after that and her phone beeped immediately. She took down the address and grabbed the files from Soo Young’s office which was located on the second level. She was the best choice because she was the one who bakes more often. So she needed the best ingredients to make perfect cakes and bread.

“I’m going out.”

She spoke up as she made her way down to the first floor. Taeyeon and Hyoyeon were busy playing bingo with the plastic bread and cakes at the front counter.

“Can you two stop playing?”

“We’re trying to.”

“Take care of the bakery. I’m going to a meeting.”

“Oh? Soo Young’s not coming?”

“She’s down with flu.”

“YES!”

Both of them screamed at the same time. Yoona rolled her eyes.

“Just make sure you don’t turn the bakery upside down. I’ll be back quickly. Yuri’s coming back soon too.”

“Wow, the more the merrier.”

Yoona frowned. Yuri, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon were a perfect match for mischief. So she took out her phone and dialled for Yuri’s number.

“Where are you?”

“I’m on the way back.”

“Meet me at this restaurant.”

“Huh? Why?”

“Don’t ask so much. Just meet me there.”

“Are you going to give me a treat?”

“If you’re going to be good, I might.”

“OKAY!”

“Just meet me there now. I’m on my way.”

Yoona hung up and then grinned at the two dorks ahead of her.

“Yuri’s coming with me.”

“Aw, man!”

“The three of you can never be in the same room.”

“That’s unfair!”

“What is fair in the first place?”

Yoona left; leaving the two whiny dorks behind.

-

Tiffany was waiting for her client at the same restaurant that Yoona was going to. She sat at the corner of the restaurant; sitting with her legs crossed. Her documents; her file and her laptop were neatly aligned on the table for her to present her financial solutions to the client. She was reading through her notes when she overheard a familiar voice from the entrance. She looked up and smiled.

“How can I help you this afternoon, Miss?”

“I have an appointment with Miss Park. The appointment should be under Miss Choi Soo Young. I’m here on her behalf.”

“Can I know your name, Miss?”

“Miss Im. Yoona.”

“Oh yes, Miss Park’s waiting for you. Please come right this way.”

“Thanks. Oh, by the way, later on if someone looks for me, can you lead her to another table and ask her to wait?”

“Yes, Miss Im.”

Yoona nodded and followed the waiter to the table. She didn’t notice someone was watching her. Her table was in front of Tiffany’s but her back was facing Tiffany so she couldn’t see her. She joined Miss Park and the two were quick to close the deal.

“Miss Im, you’re more precise and decisive as compared with Miss Choi.”

“I do the baking so I know what I’m expecting from the ingredients.”

“That’s great. Indeed the one who makes the cakes should know better. The meeting went well.”

“Thank you, Miss Park for your hard work.”

“It’s my pleasure. I’ll make my move now.”

Yoona stood up and shook hands with Miss Park before the lady took her leave. Yuri hasn’t arrived yet so Yoona sat back at her table. She just ordered a cup of coffee earlier on and now she was really famished. She ordered her food first while waiting.

Suddenly someone tapped on her shoulder. Yoona was about to scream at the person because she assumed it was Yuri but no, she’s not.

“It’s nice to see you here.”

“Tiffany, what are you doing here?”

Tiffany was looking at the empty seat in front of Yoona. Without hesitation, Yoona sat up and pulled out the seat and invited Tiffany to sit. Tiffany smiled as she took her seat.

“I was with my client. She was here while you were having a date with another lady.”

“A date?”

“I saw you with a lady earlier on.”

“Oh, that’s not a date. We had a meeting. She’s my supplier.”

“Wow, she’s beautiful.”

Yoona smiled.

“She is.”

“You’re not supposed to agree. I might get jealous.”

Yoona was tickled by Tiffany’s sudden confession.

“Well, she’s not related to me. And we don’t have any special relationship. So I think I should be safe, right?”

“It depends. I’m quite possessive even before you become my girlfriend.”

Yoona was taken aback. Tiffany was indeed bold and straightforward. She has never met someone like Tiffany before. She was too strong in her approach which made Yoona uncomfortable.

“I was just joking.”

Tiffany tried to reduce the tension and Yoona just shook her head.

“Don’t be so uptight. I’m always like that.”

“I’m trying to get used to this.”

“You will get used to this.”

“What makes you so sure?”

Just then, a waiter came along and poured Tiffany a glass of water. Tiffany didn’t say anything and just merely lifted the glass and looked at Yoona. Yoona understood what she mean so she lifted her glass up. Tiffany tapped her glass against Yoona’s.

“Cheers.”

“Whatever for?”

Tiffany slyly smiled.

“For better new things in the future for the both of us.”

“What?”

Tiffany drank her water immediately and walked away. She gave Yoona a lingering smile before she disappeared from Yoona’s view. Yoona was stuck to her seat.

“This girl is confusing.”

Yoona was frustrated.

-

“What’s up with you?”

Yuri noticed Yoona didn’t eat much during dinner. She was just staring at her food while Yuri gobbled hers.

“Nothing, I’m just thinking of something.”

“I know you’re thinking of something but what is it?”

“I’m perplexed.”

“Wow, that’s a big word.”

“I’m confused, idiot.”

“Tiffany?”

“How did you know?”

“I’m confused too.”

“Jessica?”

“Who else? That two best friends are making us confused each day.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Do you really think they like us that much?”

“Are you falling for her already?”

“NO! I mean, it’s not impossible but I’m not!”

“You don’t have to be so uptight about it. I was just teasing you.”

“It’s not funny, idiot.”

Yoona laughed. Yuri threatened to poke her arm with her fork but withdrew it when people were watching them. Yoona couldn’t stop laughing and it irked her even more.

“Stop laughing. You’re not in a good situation either.”

“Sigh.”

“Do you think you can give Tiffany a chance?”

“Are you kidding me?”

“You cannot forget Seohyun?”

Yoona shrugged. She was staring at her food again before mindlessly poking into her peas and cucumbers.

“She’s the only one I loved with all my heart. It wasn’t easy for me to move on. You know it.”

“I almost lost you, idiot.”

“That word “idiot” is not free flowing.”

“Who am I to call you an idiot in the first place? I’m an idiot too.”

“Glad you realize it.”

“Shut up.”

The two cousins started poking each other and then both sighed at the same time.

“What are we going to do now?”

“I don’t know.”

“We both are afraid to love.”

“Why are you so afraid to love? You didn’t even confess to her.”

“Son Yejin is a difficult woman to understand.”

“She was just using you. You know that, don’t you?”

Yuri rolled her eyes.

“Just shut up.”

Yoona giggled.

-

“Tiffany, do you think Yuri will understand my feelings?”

Jessica was lying next to Tiffany. The two ladies decided to have a sleep over at Jessica’s place.

“I don’t know. Yoona’s defensive walls are really too tight for me to get through too.”

“You know what happened to her before?”

“She didn’t really say much but I guess she must have gone through a difficult time.”

The two best friends stared at each other.

“Are you going to give up, Jessica?”

“YA ~ do you just know me?”

Tiffany grinned.

“Then let’s not give up on our love. We will work hard to get them to understand us.”

“Of course! Let’s not give up!”

The two did high-fives with each other.

-