e l e v e n

{ stringed words }

e l e v e n

What is a word? According to wikipedia, a word is the smallest element that may be uttered in isolation with semantic or pragmatic content (with literal or practical meaning). While Google defines it as "a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed". Well whatever it really means, we can all agree that words have a significant impact in our daily lives. We use it to communicate and to express, and it is what differentiate humans from animals. Our fundamental understandings almost always require words to vocalise, and like the cells that make up our organs, it is the one of the most basic building block of our society.

So here are some of the words that I have found interesting or beautiful with the undeniable help of the internet, and of course books.

 

ikigai (japanese)
(n.) a reason to get up every morning; a reason to live.

eleutheromania (english)
(n.) an intense and irresistable desire for freedom.

petrichor (english)
(n.) the smell of the rain on dry earth.

heliophilia (english)
(n.) the desire to stay in the sun; the love of sunlight

cafuné (portuguese)
(v.) the act of running your fingers through your lover's hair.

ya'arburnee (arabic)
(n.) "May you bury me." The hope that you will die before someone you love deeply because you cannot stand to live without them

dauntless (english)
(n.) fearless; bold.

efflorescence (english)
(n.) state or period of flowering.

love (english)
(n.) a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person; desire; a feeling of warmth

hiraeth (welsh)
(n.) a feeling of longing for the unattainable.

koselig (norwegian)
(n.) a feeling of comfort.

toski (russian)
(n.) At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. On of more subtle level it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases, it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom.

litost (czezh)
(n.) a state of agony and torment created by the sudden sight of one's own misery.

komorebi (japanese)
(n.) the scattered, dappled light effect that happens when sunlight shines in between tree leaves.

 

 

14don03-1.jpg

 

Author's note share me some of your favourite words in the comments, tell me why, and i'll add them to a second list next time! (with credits, of course.)

As you guys can see, this story is still under heavy revamp, meaning that there will be additions of pictures for individual chapters, or I may even change the story layout completely. But as of now, this is the layout best suited for this story, and there's only a slim chance that I'll even change it at all.

Secondly, I would really like to involve all of my readers more, because well, you guys will be the ones reading it. So any suggestions, constructive criticism or requests are very welcome. Send it to me through a private message in AFF or if you think an email is more appropriate, request for my email on my wall. It can be anything: a link for a picture you think fits one of the poems here, a request for or a submission of a short story, your favourite poem, a picture that has impacted your life, etc. Everything submitted will be posted on this story with full credit, so don't worry.

I promise that updates will be quite quick, so stay tuned! Thank you, you, for subscribing!

» layout credit