Bonus (Part 4-Final)

Nothing But Everything (Note: WILL BE TAKEN DOWN AT MAY 15, 2018)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Nothing but Everything Bonus (Part 4-Final)

 

Shida mansion, Tokyo

 

If there was something Ryosuke didn’t want to see the most in his life, it would be the tears of his beloved persons. However, at the moment, it was inevitable. Mirai’s tears caused his heart clenched so painfully as she cried in the embrace of her mother. Standing before him was Mr. Shida, obviously as miserable listening to his daughter’s cry. Moreover, be the cause of it.

He was still dumbfounded at what had just happened. Never did he expect it would turn out like this. His diplomacy to win Mr. Shida’s heart failed. The older man was beyond his expectation. All this time he thought that Mr. Shida would be softened if it’s something related to Mirai, that the man would grant each of Mirai’s wish, but the words that came out from Mr. Shida’s mouth just now were too harsh that it hurt Mirai.

“Be adult and for once don’t be so selfish, Mirai! Life doesn’t only circle around you!”

Perhaps it was not the words themselves that got Mirai that hurt. It was the way her father spoke to her. Never in his years knowing Shida family that he heard Mr. Shida raised his voice at her. So, probably it shocked her beyond anything. Perhaps it was also his and Mirai’s insistance on getting married soon that had Mr. Shida snapped. Then, though he was disappointed his proposal was rejected, he could understand well Mr. Shida’s decision. Mr. Shida was looking out for his daughter, the only daughter whom he loved most.

“Ryosuke,” the deep voice of Mirai’s father woke him from his daze.

“Yes, Uncle?” he was still lost.

The older man looked at the couch on which his daughter and wife sitting at, then turned to him, “Would it be enough if I give you a chance to prove yourself?”

At this he perked up. Before this, Mr. Shida had clearly stated that he wouldn’t let Mirai get married to him as long as he didn’t have seriousness in financial business. He had proposed to Mr. Shida that he would establish his own business focusing on art and entertainment before Mr. Shida stepped down from the position of Shida Corp chairman. If the day came when Mr. Shida would leave the business and pass the position to Mirai, he would merge his own company to Shida family. That way, he could manage both his business and Shida Corp, and Mirai would still be able to pursue her dreams without losing control over her heritage. However, the prospect of such arrangement wasn’t enough for Mr. Shida. Mr. Shida wanted him to fully in charge of Shida Corp, not dividing attention to another business.

“You would give me a chance?” his heart thumped faster in anticipation. Perhaps, Mr. Shida couldn’t bear to see Mirai unhappy no matter hard he was against her wish.

“I will only decide on who would be Mirai’s husband after she graduates from college. So, if you could convince her to wait, I’ll give you two years to prove that you could work on that arrangement you proposed.”

A grateful feeling quickly enveloped him that a smile curved up when he nodded, “Yes, Uncle. That’s enough.”

Again, Mr. Shida’s gaze shifted to Mirai before telling him, “Then tell Mirai that, and... tell her that I only wish for her happiness.”

“Thank you, Uncle,” he muttered, tears started forming behind his eyes, as relief took over his disappointment.

“I’ll give you time to talk to her,” with that Mr. Shida walked away, demanding his wife to follow him and leaving Mirai alone.

With her teary eyes, she looked at him. He responded by taking a few quick strides and squatted down before her. She was sniffling her cry, and he mustered a smile to reassure her.

“You heard your father, didn’t you?” he asked softly.

She nodded.

“We couldn’t get married right away, but your father still gives us a chance. Once you graduate, I’ll come again to ask for your hand,” he told her.

“B-but... two years... is too long.”

Taking her hands that were wet by her tears, he squeezed them weakly, “You have survived almost four years to wait for me, even back then in uncertainty. So, these two years would be manageable, right?”

“B-but...how if... how if Dad isn’t satisfied... with the result you achieve... after two years?”

“I promise I’ll work hard.”

“You promised you’d win Dad’s favor, too!”

His smile faltered, changed with shame, “I’m sorry. I was too overconfident.”

She didn’t respond to him, so after thinking, he let out his final speech.

“I failed you this time. For that, I’m really sorry. Since your father gives me two years, I’ll work hard so that I will be decent enough to be your husband. However, if you don’t trust me anymore... It’s okay if you want to stop here.”

As soon as she heard the word “stop”, her head snapped up.

“No!” she exclaimed. Shaking her head repeatedly, she told him, “I don’t want to stop! I... I want to be with you.”

“Then, can you trust me once more?”

She nodded.

“And please promise me one more thing,” he requested.

“What?”

“Don’t hate your father because of this. He loves you too much that he is worried you’d be unhappy with me.”

There was hesitation in her eyes, yet eventually she nodded.

“Thank you. This proves that you’re not as inconsiderate as you used to.”

In a sudden movement she knelt down on the floor to hug him, tightly as if not wanting to let go. He put a hand on her nape as she cried on his shoulder. He was in pain, but it’s not the time for him to shed tears. He tried to shush her cry by whispering softly and repeatedly that all would be fine, that the time they would be separated was needed for them to grow up more, to be a responsible adult.

When she finally calmed down after a time he couldn’t tell, she pulled away and spoke with her hoarse voice, “I’ll still take business major whether you agree or not.”

He let out a quiet brief chuckle, “And I won’t be stopping you.”

Despite her tears did not cease, she mustered a smile, softly speaking, “Then... Ganbatte, Ryosuke.”

This time, it was him who pulled her back in his embrace.

 **********

Tokyo, two years later

 

“Welcome home, young master Yamada Ryosuke!”

Ryosuke heard several voices greeted him in sync as the head butler of Yamada mansion open the door for him. Before him all maids and butlers lined up wearing their monochrome uniforms, bowing at him until he told them to raise their head.

A few seconds later his older brother emerged from the second floor, descending the stairs with a wide smile on his face. He curved up his lips, replying the warm welcome. Kei told him that their father was still in the office, but they would have dinner together as a family later.

“So, how’s life?” his brother asked after the chitchat.

“How do you think?” he didn’t give direct answer.

Kei laughed, “Well, it seems everything went well seeing how confident you bring yourself right now.”

“I’m not confident at all,” he shook his head. “Just manage my composure.”

“Ah, practising for the meeting with your soon-to-be-father-in-law?”

He nodded, confirming the question.

“Do you think what I’ve done so far will be enough to convince him?” he asked.

Kei took a few seconds before answering, “I don’t know, but while you were away, Dad had been talking about you whenever he met Shida-san. It seemed to me that Dad tried to convince him to accept you.”

“Dad did that for me?”

“Yes, believe it or not. Dad is proud of you.”

“Somehow it’s hard to believe.”

“Seriously, that’s not a lie. After you returned to London two years ago, Dad told me that you’ve grown to be a tough man, a responsible adult. He appreciated how you came apologizing though you’re not entirely at fault.”

“It’s also thanks to you, Oniisan,” he smiled in gratefulness. “Then how about you and Mariya-san?”

“Oh, erm... I brought her to meet Dad last week,” his older brother looked rather timid. “And Dad was impressed by her social works.”

“I’m glad that your love life is less complicated, Onii-san.” He meant it. In all his life, his older brother had always been working hard to meet their father’s expectations, to live up to the name of Yamada’s heir apparent. So, for his older brother having one less matter to think hard was quite relieving.

“Nah, enough about me,” Kei diverted the topic, back to him. “Today is the last day of Mirai-chan’s stage play by the way.”

“Eh? Is it?” He didn’t remember the schedule. He just knew that Mirai was having a stage play at the moment.

“Yes, and,” Kei looked at his watch. “The last show will start in an hour. So, if you want to watch, you should prepare soon.”

“Of course,” he literally leapt up from his seat. “Please tell Wada to prepare a car for me, Oniisan.”

“No need. I’ll go with you.”

“Oh, okay.”

With that he rushed upstair to his bedroom. All his bags had been delivered inside, and when he suddenly bursted in, he startled two maids who were unpacking his belongings to be placed on the closet. He told them to just leave the rest before bringing himself to clean up and dress for watching Mirai’s play.

Mirai...

How much he missed her. During the past two years, they still kept in touch by mails and phone calls, also exchanged pictures so they knew about each other’s progress.

They were now in their mid twenty four. He had graduated from both his colleges more than a year ago, a few months earlier than average study time. The company he was running had been started right after he returned to London, with the business team from his college. Half of the investment to establish the company came from Yamada Corp, or his father to be clear, while the rest were from several smaller investors. Mirai herself had graduated from her acting major last year, but still studying in business school and would be finished in about one and a half year later.

He initially planned to return next month, but suddenly he got a call from Mr. Shida. In that call, Mr. Shida stated that it had been exatcly 730 days since they made a promise of two years chance, and that he would only give him a week more to come asking for Mirai’s hand. He was stupefied. Yet, it didn’t take too long until he recollected himself and started preparing to return to Japan.

He had to delegate his works to his colleagues and only until he made sure nothing would be a trouble in the company while he was away that he took the flight back to Japan. Tomorrow would be the last day of the given time. He was nervous, badly, but he would forget it for the moment, because he was going to see Mirai, and he wanted her to see his happy smile.

They drove towards the theatre where Mirai performing. Fortunately his older brother had secured their tickets long before since the on the spot tickets were already sold out. They got in at the last seconds before the door closed, signaling that the play was about to start. That night they played  King Lear by Shakespeare. Mirai acted as Goneril, the oldest daughter of Lear who ended up committing suicide after all her evil plans thwarted. To be honest, he would prefer her to act as the sweet, loyal, but brave Cordelia because it suited her own characters, but watching her acted as a villain quite taken him aback. She was incredibly amazing. He had watched her previous plays, but her current level was way too higher than in the past.

When the play ended, Kei gave the car key to him, telling him that he would just hail a cab to go back home. Since Kei insisted, he didn’t have a choice but accepted it. He came to the back stage but halted by the security. He said that he was acquaintance of Mirai and told them his name, so they went to ask her. His smirk formed when not long after that he heard running steps coming closer. He knew exactly what would happen. The door of the dressing room bursted open and he was soon tackled in a tight embrace.

“What a warm welcome,” he playfully remarked as Mirai didn’t pay a heed to people around them.

She pulled away showing him her teary yet sparkling eyes, “You were watching?”

He smiled, sincerely, “From the start till the end.”

“You should have brought me at least a bouquet of flower to congratulate me, you know,” she giggled lightly.

“Well, I bring more than that,” he said.

“What is it?” she curiously searched on him with her gaze.

He leaned forward and whispered to her ear, “I bring my heart for you.”

When he pulled away, he was presented with her giddy smile and adorable blushing cheeks. Before he could comment on her reaction, a deep voice interrupted.

Mirai turned around and a pleasant smile graced her lips before she took his arm and dragged him to follow her approaching the man called out to her previously. Turn out, the old man was the director of the play.

“Director, I’m sorry. I think I will pass the party tonight,” Mirai bowed slightly even before introducing him.

“And why is that?” the old man eyed him with knowing smile as he asked Mirai that question.

“Because I need to spend my time with him,” she pulled him closer to her by his arm.

As the director arched a brow, he found himself cleared his throat and did introduction for himself, “Pardon me for such tactless act from Mirai,” he joked. Mirai pinched his arm at that. He chuckled before properly bowing to the older man, “I’m Yamada Ryosuke. Please forgive my poor behavior.”

The director smiled kindly, “And you are to Mirai?”

“My soon to be husband,” she answered for him, and he nodded with a smile.

The director laughed shortly, “So he is the one?”

Mirai nodded unreservedly. It seemed they were close enough.

“Hmm,” the director sighed, “Young love. Couldn’t be helped. Fine then, but make sure I get the wedding invitation.”

“Okay!” she cheerfully answered.

In the mid of that pleasant talk, a man went pass them, halting briefly beside the director and apologized because he couldn’t join in the after party. The man didn’t wait for the director’s reply and walked away in rather rushed steps. Some people called out to the man but he didn’t care about them. After that brief encounter, he subtly glanced at Mirai who was still looking at where the man disappeared. He swore, when that man walked pass them, that man’s eyes lingered for a brief moment on Mirai before shifted to give him an unfriendly stare in a split of second.

“Don’t worry about him,” suddenly he heard the director spoke. “It’s not a secret that Yuki have a crush on Mirai, so your presence offends him.”

“I didn’t mean to cause any disturbance,” he sincerely apologized.

“No need to apologize, young man. Just treat our princess well or anyone would steal her from you,” the director winked at him.

He smiled. He liked this director. “Thank you. I don’t plan to give her up for anything.”

“And I don’t think I can love any man but Yamada Ryosuke,” Mirai added soon.

The director laughed pleasantly before patting his arm and excused himself.

“What a nice show of love!” an exclaim suddenly filled the air, followed by giggles.

Before he could completely comprehend the circumstance, Mirai’s friends had surrounded them, asking her to introduce him. Although feeling embarrassed to be the center of attention, he kindly introduced himself and patiently answered their questions. It was only because Mirai had deliberately pulled them out of the crowd that finally they were free and alone in the parking lot.

“Dinner with me?” she asked, hopeful.

“I can’t say no to your puppy eyes,” he smiled. “You bring Shiro-chan?” He referred to her white New Beetle.

“No, Shiro-chan is in maintenance, but I bring Aki-chan.”

He chuckled, “Which one is that?”

“It’s the red beetle,” she grinned.

He ruffled her hair, “Call your butler to take your car. We’ll go with my car.”

“Okay,” she immediately made a call while walking with him towards his car.

They spent their dinner time catching up about things. She told him about Umika and Yuri. Back then, Yuri failed to win the first place in the international competition, beaten by Umika. Yet, he was scouted by a talent agency, which no other than the biggest one in Japan, Johnny and Associates. Yuri initially rejected the idea of being a boyband member because he already had his game designer company, but in the end he accepted it. Yuri’s band was called Hey!Say!Jump, and it was currently rising in popularity.

“And you know what?” Mirai almost squealed while saying this.

“What?” he couldn’t help but chuckled at her.

“I haven’t told you this, but Yuri and Umika have started dating!”

Now, it got him. “Eh? Really? Since when?” It was a shocking but pleasant surprise.

“Only recently,” she answered, a wide grin intact. “And you wouldn’t believe me if I told you that it was Umika who initiated it.”

“Seriously? How come?”

“I couldn’t believe it either when Yuri told me for the first time, but his dreamy expression while telling that he is dating Umika somehow convinced me. So, I asked Umika, and she confirmed it. Umika was so cute blushing like that.”

He chuckled more because of her excitement. She always brought up the cheerful mood.

“Tell me the whole story,” he asked.

“I think it’s already started since the international competition. You know, back then I was still upset at Dad, so I stayed at Umika’s place after she returned from the competition. During that stay, she started asking me about Yuri like what actually he’s doing, since when he learned dancing, and the likes. When I about her started taking interest in Yuri, she denied by saying that she was just curious because I never told her that Yuri danced.”

Mirai took a second before continuing her story, “Now that I think of it, perhaps the biggest factor that culminated their feelings is Yuri’s new idol career.”

“You think so?”

She nodded, “Yeah. It turns out that Yuri enjoys his new career as an idol, and since they are popular, he got more and more jobs. Yuri became so busy that he didn’t even have a time spare to woo Umika. Sometimes Umika would ask me about how Yuri’s doing, but she always denied that she was interested in him. She even said that she was relieved he did no longer bother her again. Yet, sometimes, I caught Umika reading articles about Yuri though I never confronted her about it. When there were times Yuri finally able to spend time with us, it wouldn’t be long, because if not him making Umika annoyed, it was his fangirls. Honestly, as much as I’m happy for him, his fangirls sometimes are just so annoying.”

“Hey, it’s not like he wanted those annoying fangirls to stalk him around,” he defended Yuri because he knew the feeling of having that kind of fans.

She was surprised by his sudden remark, but she giggled at his frown. “Your fangirls back in high school were quite as annoying.”

He crossed his arms, “I didn’t even acknowledge them as fans.”

“Including me?”

His gaze softened, “You know that’s not what I mean, Mirai.”

“I know, just... well, we’ve diverted from the main topic,” she mustered a smile before resuming her speech, “At a point, I convinced Umika to accompany me to go to one of Yuri’s concerts. However, she left in the middle of the concert.”

“That’s rude to be honest,” he remarked.

She nodded, “I thought so, but she did look unwell that time. For a few days after that she avoided me. I didn’t even know what’s wrong. I haven’t gotten in touch with her until Yuri came with his ridiculously big grin, telling me that he and Umika started dating. I got the story from Yuri that suddenly Umika asked him to meet. She asked him whether he still loved her, and of course Yuri gave her a quick affirmative answer. He said she asked him a lot more questions regarding his feeling and how he saw her as a person, and in the end she told him that perhaps she liked him because she didn’t like him doing those flirty fanservices during the concert, but she wasn’t sure yet to what extend her feeling for him was, so she asked him to try going out before she gave him a clear answer of yes or no.”

“So, they’re in trial period now?”

She nodded, smiling, “I hope they will be happy together.”

He smiled back, “I hope so, and for us, too.”

She tensed up at this, carefully asking, “You didn’t tell me you’re coming back. Is this... related to us?”

He reached out to her, taking her hand in his, “Yes. Your father called me last week.”

“Dad called you?”

He nodded, squeezing her hand weakly, “I can’t promise you anything except that I’ll do my best.”

She squeezed back, nodded. They knew, they could only pray for the best.

Unknown to them that what they thought would be a tough fighting, turned out the opposite. The moment Ryosuke stepped inside Shida mansion the next morning, Mr. Shida welcomed him warmly.

“Welcome, my son!” Mr. Shida shocked him with the way he was called.

He shook his head to shake off the premature conclusion. Mr. Shida was smiling and looked happy while talking to him about anything but Mirai. He had to diverted the older man to the main intention of his visit before the said man composed himself and asked him to proceed with his explanation.

He had prepared a detail report of his business and also the future merger plan, completed with several scenarios and the financial calculations. He explained about his business chore, and Mr. Shida only nodded while reading the written report and listened to him.

When he finished, Mr. Shida told him, “There is one important plan you didn’t include in this report, and it is the most important one.”

He gulped, asking, “What is that, Uncle?”

Mr. Shida looked up, firmly staring at him, “The wedding plan and budget. That’s the most important.”

He was baffled. For a moment he could not react.

“I’m afraid I don’t understand, Uncle,” he honestly admitted after composing himself.

“Well, aren’t you coming to ask for my daughter’s hand in marriage?” still with serious expression Mr. Shida asked.

“Yes, but I thought you want to know the business progress first?”

Mr. Shida smiled, and suddenly Mirai ran into the room, without any reservation throwing herself at him and hugging him so tightly.

He was beyond confused. He couldn’t understand Mirai’s laughter, neither did he understand Mr. and Mrs. Shida smiles.

“What is happening? I really don’t understand,” he pushed Mirai away gently so he could see her face.

Her smile was so wide, but for what reason?

“Ryosuke-kun,” he heard Mrs. Shida this time called him.

“Yes, Auntie?”

“Is it okay if we hold the wedding in two months away after Mirai-chan’s exams?”

The words dawned slowly in his head. Wedding? Mirai? Him?

He turned sharply at Mirai who was still smiling happily.

She giggled, holding his hand with both of hers, “Dad has given his blessing for us.”

When the realization hit him, he frowned, “You knew it since the beginning?”

She frantically shook her head, “No, I swear. Mom just told me. I didn’t know.”

He heard both her parents laughed amusingly at his baffled state.

“I’m sorry, Ryosuke,” Mr. Shida spoke. “Mirai is right. I give my blessing for you to marry her.”

“But... why?” he still couldn’t comprehend it.

Mr. Shida smiled warmly, “I had been thinking much about it. In the end I realized that Mirai has changed much these past years, in a good meaning. And the reason for her changes is you, so I couldn’t find any better person that would be able to stimulate her than you.”

He leaned his back on the couch. He lost words to express his feeling. Confused, surprised, annoyed, and obviusly, happy. At the last, he smiled, helplessly.

“Uncle, you almost got me a heart attack when you called me,” he protested, now more relaxed.

Mr. Shida laughed briefly, “I just wanted to test how tough you are. And now I’m convinced that Mirai will be in a good hand.”

“Uncle, Auntie... I...” he paused to look for words. “Honestly I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t need to say anything,” Mirai answered him, making him turned to her who was sitting right beside him. “Just answer Mom’s question.”

“Which question?” because it was all too surprising he didn’t remember details of what had happened.

Mrs. Shida smiled gently, repeating the question, “Is it okay if we hold the wedding in two months away after Mirai-chan’s exams?”

“T-two months?”

“If it’s too fast for you, then after she graduates from business school is fine,” Mr. Shida taunted.

“No!” Mirai was the first to refuse. “Ryosuke, you won’t make me wait for another one and a half year, right?”

He eventually chuckled at her apprehensive look.

“Aish this girl,” her father commented. “Can’t you at least be a little less brazen?”

Mirai blushed, but she retorted, “It’s not like Ryosuke doesn’t know how I am, Dad.”

“But as a girl at least you should try to be modest, Mirai-chan,” replied her mother.

Mirai pouted, “Has it become the session to scold me?”

He chuckled witnessing the interaction. His family used to be like them, but not anymore since the accident of his second older brother.

“So, Ryosuke, what’s your answer?” Mirai urged him.

He turned to face Mr. and Mrs. Shida properly, answering while pretending to ignore Mirai, “For myself, I don’t have any problem with that. As long as Mirai doesn’t want an extravagant wedding, the preparation could be done in two months if that’s what Uncle and Auntie wish.”

“Then it’s settled already!” Mirai exclaimed first even before her parents responded.

They all laughed at Mirai’s child-like reactions. He couldn’t explain how happy he was knowing there was someone who could be that excited at the prospect of having a life with him.

**********

Kanagawa, two months later

 

Mirai was in a nerve wreck. Is this really happening? That question rolled in her head again and again. The cool breeze from the air conditioner touched her bare shoulder, making her shiver slightly. She watched her own reflection in the mirror. A nervous gulp had to be swallowed with the violent thumps of her heart. She felt that breathing was difficult.

“Mirai,” someone opened the door and stepped in.

She looked up and saw the persons from the mirror.

“Oh, God!” It was Kamiki Ryunosuke  who returned to Japan only to attend the wedding. Umika was also with him. “You’re so beautiful Mirai-chan!”

They were squealing at her appearance, yet she couldn’t do so. Lucky as always, Umika noticed it.

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

“I...,” she inhaled and exhaled breaths to calm herself. “I can’t do this.”

“What’re you saying?” Umika knotted her brows.

“Umika... I... how if, how if I can’t be good enough for him? How if he leave me after finding out who I really am? How is I’m too spoiled for his standard? I...”

Ryuu laughed heartily, and she stared confusedly at him.

“Your anxiety is baseless, Mirai-chan!” he said. “Ryosuke is the least I would expect of not knowing your trueself. You two have been friends since you were kids! If there is a person knowing every detail of you, it must be Ryosuke.”

“And if you’re not good enough, he wouldn’t have to be that desperate to marry you in the first place,” Umika added. “You said it yourself, that you loves him and he loves you, and both of you want to be together. That’s enough reason.”

“And if it could be much of a help to assure you, Ryosuke is having worse right now,” a new voice followed after. It was Ryosuke’s older brother who just stepped inside her dressing room.

“Eh?” she muttered softly.

“Ryosuke is worrying if you suddenly change your mind and call off the wedding. Also, last night he had a nightmare of you leaving him alone in the altar.”

She shook her head as though defending herself, “There is no way I would do that.”

“I told him so, but he is still worried. He even asked me to check on you, so here I come,” Kei chuckled lightly. “My little brother is a worrywart sometimes. Please, take care of him kindly, Mirai-chan.”

She eventually couldn’t help but smile imagining Ryosuke having nightmare. “He is stupid if he is worrying about my feeling.”

“I can say that to you, too,” Umika smirked.

Her smile widened when she realized how absurd her anxiety before. “Yeah, I was stupid.”

“Alright, guys!” a new feminine but firm voice interupted them. She looked up to find Nishiuchi Mariya, Kei’s fiancee, giving instruction to let her be alone to finish the preparation.

Kei and Ryuu being the only men inside quickly ushered out, but only after they gave encouragement words for her. Umika and Mariya then help her putting the final touch of her wedding dress. Mariya, aside from being a social worker, was also a make up artist. That’s why she felt safe leaving herself on her care.

They carefully pinned the veil on her head with a white gold tiara designed exclusively by her favorite jewe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter