Two

My Song for You

2 weeks had passed since Hanbin and Mei Li last met, 2 weeks since he unknowingly broke her heart. Mei Li had managed to help Hanbin out with his plans over the phone or through their personal SNS, giving her busy class schedules as reason to why she couldn’t see him for even an hour to discuss his plans. Hanbin thought it weird since Mei always urged him to make time for her before, but he shrugged it off, Mei Li was always the type to give her all when she had focused herself on something, especially if that something was her own music. What Hanbin didn’t know though was that Mei Li just wanted to avoid him in fear of her feelings growing deeper and her heart breaking more.

 

The plan was for Mei to take Ying to YGE’s building where they were supposed to meet up with Hanbin and Bobby for dinner since it was, in fact, Ying’s birthday. From there, Ying would take the elevator’s up to the rooftop where Hanbin, along with a few of his friends from WINNER and iKON, would perform a special stage for her. At the end of the song, Hanbin would walk up to her, a bouquet of tulips in hand and would simply tell her how he feels.  

 

”You think it will work, noona? Would Ying love it? Isn’t it too cheesy? Or maybe it’s too simple? Does she even like being serenaded? Does she even love tulips?”

 

“B.I.-ssi, no matter how my sister denies it, she’s still such a er for the cheesy stuff. Don’t worry. She will like it no matter what, just remember to be your self.” Everything really was perfect, it was a perfect set-up for her sister, except maybe for the flowers. It was her who loved tulips the most, but tulips represented genuine love, and she wanted Hanbin to succeed with Ying. Besides, Ying was never the one to be too choosy with flowers.

 

When the time for them to come up to the building came, Mei was pulling Ying out of her car and into YGE.

 

“Yah! Jiejie, why are we even here? Can we not meet the boys at wherever it is we’re eating at? And why do I even have to wear this dress?” Ying asked, tugging at the hem of her skirt. She was never one to wear something girly, let alone something preppy and pastel. It was Mei’s style, not hers.

 

“I told you, didn’t I? They told me to meet us here. And seriously, Mei Ying, it’s your eighteenth birthday; you should at least look pretty for once.” She sighed, “Now come on, we’re late.”

 

As they arrived the rooftop, Ying already had a confused look written all over her face. She turned to her older sister who just smiled at her and gently shoving her to a single stool that stood in front of an unlit stage. She could barely make out who were on stage but she was sure that Hanbin was there, staring at them, anxious about his confession.

 

“What’s this supposed to mean? Jiejie?” Ying was definitely a worrywart, even though she insists that it was Mei Li who thinks too much.

 

“Don’t worry, just go sit up front. I’ve to leave in a bit. Just remember what I told you, okay?”

 

“What? What did you tell me? Jiejie? Unnie? What’s going on?” Ying was shaking, anxious for what’s about to happen. Mei on the other hand was already trying to hold back her tears. This was it. Hanbin was going to confess to Ying. She was going to be his girlfriend. She kept repeating the words in her head. And it was her who helped him out with all this. It was her who brought her sister here.

 

“Just remember Hanbin is… he’s a great guy. I know you like him as a friend but just try to look at him as a man. Give him a chance, okay? He deserves that. He… I…” She could feel herself choking on her words. “I have to go. See you later.” And with that, she kissed her sister’s head before shuffling out the door. She just wanted to leave that place, leave the city, leave the country. Her heart was pounding, aching, and she didn’t know what else she could do. She barely made it out the door before she collapsed onto the steps right next to the roof’s entrance. She could hear the music from the outside. She could hear Hanbin’s voice and it pained her.

 

Why couldn’t it be me?

 

“Mei? Mei! Are you okay? What’s wrong?” A familiar voice caught her attention. She didn’t look up, fearing what the voice might think when they’d see her tear-stained face.

 

“Shhhhh, Mei. It’s alright. I know it hurts. It’s alright. Just cry it all out.” The voice was nearer now, an she could feel a presence near her, surrounding her in a much needed embrace.

 

“Mino…” Mei sobbed, her face hidden against Mino’s chest.

 

“You’re a really strong woman, you know? Giving up the person you love for your sister, it’s something to be looked up to. It’s a rare trait, Mei. You’re always looking after the people you love. Hanbin’s a pabo. He should be thankful that he has a friend as great as you who would sacrifice her own place in his heart for another girl.” Mino said while dancing his hands across Mei’s back in an attempt to soothe her.

 

“How did you know?” she managed to say. Mei never told anyone about her secret crush on Hanbin.

 

“A little birdy told me.” He smirked.

 

“It was Bobby wasn’t it?” Mei was still settled on Mino’s chest but he could feel her brows furrowing in annoyance.

 

“How did he even manage to squeeze out that information out of you? I mean, I’m your best friend but you never once told me that you had your heart set for someone.”

 

“He read my lyric book.”

“Ohhh. So it was about B.I., the song you were working on that you didn’t want me to hear?”

 

She nodded.

 

“I’m sorry you had to go through this, Mei.”

 

“No, you don’t have to be sorry, Mino. It’s not your fault. It was mine to believe such a possibility. I’m his noona for crying out loud! He looks up to me as a senior, someone e could turn to, a friend and nothing more. How could I have been such an idiot to think more of it?”

 

A moment of silence grew between the two before Mino stood up and pulled Mei up on her feet.

 

“You know what? Get up. Let’s go and get you ice cream; my treat. You at least deserve ice cream for all the things you’ve gone through lately.”

 

“Mint chocolate chip?” She asked, slowly dusting herself off.

 

“And cookie dough with loads of gummy worms on the side. How can I ever forget about that?”

 

She grabbed his hand, and for the first time in weeks, she had actually smiled; a genuine smile.

 

“Thank you, Mino.”

 

“Hey, what are best friends for, right? Besides, you deserve to be happy so let me be your guy tonight. Now let’s go! Ppali!” Mino said as he skipped on ahead.

 

Before following route, Mei turned towards the door again, opening it slightly to peek at what was happening outside. She didn’t notice that the singing had ended and only a faint melody was playing in the background. It was her song. The song he had asked for her to write. The song she had been hiding from him.

 

So I guess it’s their song now…

 

She scanned the area, her eyes travelling across the roof until it ended on two figures in the middle of the stage. They were hugging, swaying against the music; his hands wrapped around her waist as hers were laced around his neck. They looked perfect for each other. She could barely make out Hanbin’s face but she could see the sparkle in his eyes and the grin he had on his lips. Ying said yes. She could never deny how much it hurt but then again, Mino was right. She would always do everything for Hanbin to be happy even if it meant giving up her little space in his heart to her own sister.

 

“Goodbye, Hanbin.”

 

A moment, I only asked for a moment

A moment where there was only you and only me

And nothing else in the world would matter

Because our seconds are counted, our days are short

That who knew a moment would be worth more than gold

Sooner or later you’d walk out of my life again

And I’d be haunted by our little moments

Because that’s all I’ll ever have in the end

A moment, a brief moment with you