One

My Song for You

It was as if the world has finally given her what she had been hoping for. It was already the middle of September yet it felt as if the city was reflecting Mei Li’s warm and fuzzy feeling inside. The sun was out and she could feel its tingling warmth against her blushing cheeks. She was in bliss. How can she not be when he was sitting there right in front of her, his hands secured around her tiny ones? Hanbin or B.I. as what the rest of the world has come to know him, had managed to spare a few hours for the two of them to meet. He rarely had anytime for her or his friends or his family even, now that he was nearly debuting. And she was glad he called her up to meet him at the café they’d used to hang out at whenever he was free from practice or schedules, and she wasn’t too busy with university. She’d give anything to have more moments like this with Hanbin. She was already so lost in the moment, that she didn’t hear what he was mumbling about until she felt her hands grow cold and realized he had his waving across her face.

 

“Noona? Earth to noona, are you still there? Did you hear me?” Yes, she was his noona. By three years to be exact but it never really stopped her from growing fond of the handsome young man in front of her.

 

“Sorry, Hanbin-ah; I’m so out of it right now, I’ve been up for hours finishing a song. What were you saying?” She said, her smile reaching her eyes. She was staring at him again. She was too tired that she was out of it again.

 

He laughed. She was almost always like this recently; spacing out. But Hanbin knew how much his ‘noona’ loved music to the point that she’d push herself to the limit. He knew because he was like that with his music too.

 

“Like I said, noona, I think I’m ready to confess.”

 

Did he just say confess? Does that mean he likes me too? The thoughts were rushing in to Mei’s head. She didn’t notice her cheeks turning from pink to crimson.

 

“Noona, you look flushed. Are you sure you’re okay?” she only nodded. “Okay, if you’re sure.”

 

“I’m sure, Hanbin. Now tell me, you said you’re ready to confess?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Do I know her?”

 

“I don’t know; I guess. Yes, you do.” His eyes were looking everywhere except her, as if he was… embarrassed?

 

Why do I feel like whatever he’s going to say next will hurt me? Mei Li thought. She was hoping it was her, but her gut feeling told her otherwise.

 

“Well, who is she then?”

 

“I’ll tell you if you promise me that you’ll help me.”

 

“I promise you, Hanbin-ah. I swear on my sister’s life.” Hanbin knew how Mei cared about her sister so he was sure that she’d keep her promise if she’d even swear on her sister’s life. He heaved out a breath he didn’t know he was holding.

 

“Okay…” he sighs, “but you have to promise me. I like her a lot and I want this to work. I don’t even know how I liked her but I guess I’ve just been with her for a long time and I knew her that much….” another sigh. “The girl I like is… Mei Ying.”

 

Mei Ying; the moment Mei Li heard the name, she felt as if a sudden weight had been dropped on her shoulders and she couldn’t breathe. She could feel her face drop but she needed to keep her composure. Mei Ying, Hanbin like Mei Ying, her own sister.

 

“Oh,” Mei Li managed a small smile, “well that was expected. I’ve always known you and my sister would eventually get along together.” She lied. She never thought of such thing. Sure Ying was Hanbin’s age and went to school with him until Hanbin decided to stop and focus on being a trainee, but it was always Mei Li who was with him. It was her who was their during his auditions; it was her who had spent many nights out in the café near his dorm just so he wouldn’t feel as upset as he would be for leaving home; it was her who stood next to him all that time. But Hanbin liked Ying, and Mei knew for a fact that Ying had a fondness for Hanbin even if she does say that she likes Bobby more.

 

“So will you help me to confess to Ying, noona?” Hanbin finally said, oblivious to the thick wall that Mei had quickly built in between them. She needed to stop her feelings for him. It was now or never.

 

“I- I… Yeah, I’ll help you.”

 

“Yes!” Hanbin threw a fist in the air. “Thank you, noona! Thank you!” He pulled her into a tight hug. She could feel her heart beating fast. Tears were threatening to fall from her eyes. But she needed to hold it in. You can cry when you get home, Mei Li. Just smile and keep it together. You can do it. You’ve always done it. She reminded herself.

 

“Y-y-yah! Stop hugging me already. I can barely breathe. I’ve to head back to the apartment, my- uhh- I need to get started with dinner. Must not starve ourselves, right? I’ll call you later to discuss your plans for the confession. Arasso? Good bye, B.I.-ssi.” She bowed to him before rushing out to her car. That was the lamest excuse she could give especially since Hanbin knew how she barely care about eating when they were together. She always said that seeing him would always win over food, which was something big for someone who loved to eat. And Hanbin-ssi? Since when has she been so formal towards him? Who cares; it was all over now, anyway. She could only sigh in defeat. His heart was with someone else’s, and that someone else was her own sister.