001;

早く回復 : Love's Placebo
 "I RECOMMEND  BANANA  MILK, IT'LL MAKE YOU  FEEL BETTER" 
The chimes of the bells rang as the door opened and a teenage girl came in. Her hair was short with the ends curling in. Judging from her white collar ribbon, she was a fourth year. She held a handkerchief to wipe her red nose, probably from allergies or a summer cold. She wore a school uniform which I recognized from the highschool down the road. Oh yeah, it's the first day of school. I cracked an easy smile for common courtesy and greeted her, "Good morning." 
 
She looked my way as if shocked to hear me speak, clearly not expecting to be greeted so suddenly. Her head bowed slightly and she timidly greeted back, "Good morning." The cold was evident in her voice.
 
"Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked the question I tell every costumer than comes in with my voice sounding a bit tired of asking the question.
 
She sniffed into her handkerchief and shook her head, "No thank you; I'm just looking for milk. It's not that hard to find." Once again, she bowed her head slightly toward my way and headed on to the drink section on the side wall of the store. Interestingly, I kept my eyes on her, somewhat wondering why she would be going to school with a cold. 
 
I sighed and bit my lip, feeling sympathy for the young high schooler. "Psst," I called to her, "I recommend banana milk, it'll make you feel better." She turned back at me with a confused expression, but I just smile back and give her two thumbs up. "Just trust me, I've been studying medicine."
 
I see her hide her smile behind a handkerchief while she grabs the nearest banana milk and amkes her way to me. "That will be 100 ¥, please." Before she can even set it on the counter, I already tell her the price and hold out my hand." She places the coin on my palm and I feel the touch of her cold fingers for a second.  I decide to keep quiet about it, not wanting to bother her any longer. 
 
"Thank you for shopping here," I bid her goodbye as she bows again and hurries out the door to go to school. I stop and think for a second; I wonder if she'll come back tomorrow. Shrugging and shaking it off my mind, I take out my medical book and continue reading where I left off.

 
I look outside and watch as students passed by, many who were happy to have the first day of school over with. I reminiscent about my first days in high school; they were horrible. I was that scrawny transfer student who had no friends because I was labeled a nerd. Then finally after my first year, my family moved to another high school where I vowed to have friends and be known. I guess I'm one heck of a miracle.
 
Snapping out of my day dreaming, I look up to the sound of bell chimes. A group of girls who look like third years walk up to the counter and looks me straight in the eyes. The one in the middle, wearing lip stick and lots of makeup — which I perceive as the 'leader' — speaks with a rather disturbing atittude, "Hey Mister, do you have cigarretes in this store?" 
 
I blink dumbfoundedly and scoff, "Mister? I'm only twenty one." I rolled my eyes glare at the delinquents, "No, there aren't. Even If there were, I wouldn't sell them to you." I mumbled under my breathe, "Underaged twats."
 
They all scoffed back at me in unison, causing me to laugh sarcastically. "You guys should form some kind of acapella group." Their 'leader' glared at me and walked out of the store with one last daft remark: "What a ty store."
 
I watch them leave, realizing that I'm going to have to deal with a bunch of high school brats for months. My eyes trail outside to a certain group of girls. I focus on the girl in the back, off in her own world and clutching a pink handkerchief. It was her. I'm making myself worry here, snap out of it Kou, she's just a high school girl with a cold, chill out.
 
Stuck in my thought process, I'm too late to catch myself staring at her bare face. Her nose isn't red anymore; my banana milk placebo had worked. I smile slightly, but it fades slowly as our eyes meet and we lock gazes.
 
Her pale skin makes her tired eyes and dark circles much more visible. Her plum lips were faintly drained from colour due to the cold weather. As I examine her face, I notice her natural beauty with a hint of an innocent charm— damnit Kou, stop looking.
 
Our stare down is interrupted when her friends pull her toward them because she had stopped walking reluctantly to match the moment. I can't make out what they say to her as they walk out of my line of vision. "What am I doing?" I ask myself as I look down and let out a confused sigh. How has a girl managed to intrigue me so much without even lifting a finger?