002

What Is Love?

*School bell rings*

 

Finally, it’s recess time but since it was only the first day of school, we did not have afternoon class. I packed my stuff into my bag.

 

“Jiyoon-a! Let’s have some fun! Beamed Luhan and Bomi.

 

“N-” My phone vibrated again.

 

I looked at the screen, it was Mom.

 

“Yeobeoseyo?”

 

“Oh Jiyoon-a, Eomma have something to tell you. Come back home early once you are done, okay?”

 

“Ah ne¬ Arasseo” I hung up.

 

I looked at both Luhan and Bomi with an apologetic smile.

 

“Sorry guys, maybe next time. Mom just called me. She said she has something to tell me” Bomi groaned and waved me goodbye sadly.

 

I looked at my left and he was no longer there. I just shrugged my shoulders and walked off.

 

My house was just few blocks away from school so I usually just walked to save car’s petrol. After all, I wasn’t really a sporty type of person so this might as well be a simple exercise for me.

 

Few minutes later, I arrived at my house gate. I saw a pick-up next to my house and saw the workers moving the furniture into the house. It had been quite some time since the house was last occupied.

 

New neighbour?

 

“Oh Jiyoon-a! There you are!” My mom greeted me cheerfully from the door.

 

“Come on in!” She welcomed me excitedly.

 

As I entered the house, I saw three unfamiliar guests sitting on the couch.

 

“Jiyoon-a, we are having new neighbours! Let me introduce you to them” My mom grabbed my arm and walked me closer to them.

 

“Say hello, this is Mr. And Mrs. Wu and her daughter Ying Ying” Mom gestured.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Yoon Jiyoon-imnida” I greeted them and they smiled warmly.

 

“Are you not Korean?” I asked them politely.

 

“Yes, you figured it out” Said Mrs. Wu.

 

We had a small talk for a while and I found out that they actually had a son, the eldest child of the family – Kris.

 

“Kris is slightly older than you” said the mother.

“I see”

 

“He is attending the same school as you” She added.

 

“Oh really? Since today is our first day of school, so I haven’t got to know many people” I replied.

 

The father explained that they just moved from China yesterday meanwhile Kris had always been staying in Korea for a while already. He had been living in an apartment not too far from our school but since the family just moved in, so Kris would be staying with them as well.

 

“Jiyoon-a, can you help Wu family moving around their furniture?” Mom asked me.

 

“Yeah, sure Mom. I’ll just change my uniform first” I offered help and slowly walked upstair to my room.

 

After changing into a comfortable casual, I walked downstairs to find that the neighbours had gone back to their home. I bid goodbye to my Mom and went to the house next door.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo¬”  I greeted as Mr. Wu opened the door for me.

 

“Oh Jiyoon-a, come in! My wife is inside arranging the stuff” I walked into house.

 

The house was still a mess. There were spider webs everywhere as a result from being abandoned by the late owner for about 3 years already. I offered to wipe the dust off the windows and sweep the floor.

 

Once the ground floor was done, I moved to the rooms upstairs. I started off with the master room first as it would be used by Mr. And Mrs. Wu tonight.

 

Then I moved on to the next room. It was a little smaller than the master room. I took my cleaning tools and the stair to wipe the window clean.

 

I walked up the stair as to wipe the dust from the top to the bottom. As I was cleaning, I realised that the window was facing to my room.

 

“Oh that’s my room!” I exclaimed excitedly but I suddenly lose my grip and the stair was shaking.

 

“Ohhhh!!” I was falling.

 

This is it, I’m gonna be hospitalised and go to school tomorrow being casted!

 

I closed my eyes tightly and waited for the impact.

 

Seconds passed by and I still didn’t feel the pain.

 

DID I DIE?

 

I opened my eyes slowly and there...

 

I was greeted with a pair of those grey eyes again.

 

He was holding me in his arms. As dramatic as it sounded, I blinked my eyes for a few seconds trying to absorb the situation.

 

“Kris!” He cleared his throat and let go of me.

 

“Yes, Ma?” He walked out the room.

 

I was still in my state of blankness.

 

And that was when it hit me...

 

What the...

 

.........

 

.....

 

..

 

HE IS MY NEIGHBOUR?!