I Don't Want It

What Am I To You? [That Girl Is A Problem] Series

 

Chapter 2

I Don't Want It


Sunday, 30th November - 15:20

Taking the overgrown plant from the small plastic trough which had been hooked on the inside of the balcony railing, HoSeok shook the roots free of the old, clay-like soil. A light ‘dank’ came from the chipped platform he was crouching on. On the floor by his feet, a thread a silver glistened under the muted afternoon light. Wiping the dirt away, the brunet hooked up the chain he’d found. Glancing to his left, he saw YoonGi and NamJoon were still squabbling over the weight of the sofa which had been delivered fifteen minutes ago. “Item obtained.” The makeshift gardener grinned to himself.

Holding the delicate rope chain up to the get a better look at it, he found the clasp to be broke. Putting the necklace in his hoodie pocket, the man emptied out the rest of the trough into a bin-liner and began scowering through the contents. Along with an empty snail shell, a cigarette end, and plenty of soil which had been left to turn crusty, there was something else; something HoSeok had an idea he’d find if he kept looking. Attached to a single small hoop was a rusted key, a tiny bell, and a semi precious stone. HoSeok knew that girls rarely wore a chain with nothing else to it; it was only natural that there was another part to it, although, he expected it to be a cute charm rather than what he’d actually found.

Wiping the tacky sweat from his brow with the back of his forearm, the young man shifted his footing with a grunt and put the second piece of his treasure with the chain. Heaving a breath, he continued to fix the forest growing up the left side of the balcony.


 

16:07

YoonGi and NamJoon had done a good job of making the sitting room presentable and unpacking the furniture for the kitchen and living room. Both men were sprawled out on the sofa and the fluffy bean bag facing each other when HoSeok returned from washing his hands. “I found something in one of the plant pots.” He told excitedly, but the other two just groaned with their heads back.

“Dirt?” YoonGi snarked, and NamJoon choked a drained, sung quote. “I’ve got a jar of dirt~”

HoSeok pinched his lips and a frown creased his brow. “A girl’s necklace.”

Finally having their attention grabbed, the layabouts looked to the man standing before the coffee table. “Are you going to show us then?” NamJoon picked up the can of beer beside his unstable perch.

Taking the item that he’d attempted to fix, HoSeok held up the item triumphantly. “It looks better now than it did when I found it.” He nodded to himself at the glistening creamy stone with metallic flecks that changed from green to purple in the light.

Pushing himself out of his seat, YoonGi shuffled towards his friend to take a closer look. After some seconds, his line of sight rose to look at his friend. “Does that collection even make sense to you?” His brow quirked as he waited for an answer even the man whom had found it didn't have.

NamJoon had been watching his friends in what was no doubt the offset of a petty argument when something just past them caught his attention. The creak of the front door went unnoticed by the pair squabbling, but the blond totally saw the barrier open and then shut a couple of seconds later. Still holding the booze to his lips, the liquid trickled down the sides of his mouth as he stared in frozen awe.

“What do you say, Na-What they Hell is wrong with you?” YoonGi peered back to ask, but was only met by the behaviour of a mad man. Still holding onto the end of the necklace HoSeok refused to let go of, the shortest barked at the booze pooling in his buddies lap. Turning around to the man he was arguing with, he was met by a forced smile. “You-” Halting, YoonGi too was overtaken by petrification.

Chilled air filled the space and their blood ran cold at the sudden turn of the situation. Three inches from the duo fighting over the piece of jewellery, a female stood silently, her eyes thickly lined with black khol and fixed on the glittering prop. Hands hovering over the two sets clasping the item, and eyes b with tears, the woman grit her teeth. “Why can’t I remember...?”

“Itttt spokkkke!” HoSeok shrieked and threw the necklace at YoonGi before staggering back with his arms flapping.

“Argh, I don’t want it!” The homeowner looked left and right, trying to figure out what he wanted to do. “NamJoon!” Again, the chain was lobbed as if it was a ticking bomb, this time across the space to the seated blond.

Unintentionally catching the troublesome thing, the blond flailed as though he was being electrocuted. The beer can he’d been holding was now spinning around on the floor after spraying up the wall behind the tallest, fizzing out what booze was left in it. Juggling the chain from one hand to the other manically, NamJoon launched it back to YoonGi before toppling backwards and smacking his head off the metal CD wrack behind him.

On the verge of losing his mind, the eldest spun around to throw it at the man who’d dug up the cursed thing. It was too late to hurt him with it, as only his eyes peered back from behind the kitchen counter. Still, YoonGi would not be the one to die with it in his hands. Hurling the danger, and missing his footing in the violent attempt at a pass, the shortest caught the backs of his knees on the coffee table. With a thud, his rear connected with the table, but unlike expected, the necklace did not reach his cowering buddy.

“Stop!” The rough demand of the intruder halted all action and the three men shrunk into themselves. Ignoring the fear she’d struck into the living, the pink haired woman walked towards the chain laying on the beer sloshed concrete floor. Scooping up the obscure charms, she gave it another once over.

Half scared into an early grave, half curious about what the phantom had to say, the trio of men watched the slender figure scowl at the disaster HoSeok had dug up. She looked sad, or maybe even hurt, but none of them could open their mouths.

“You lot are a bunch of .” Knuckles on her hip, the necklace dangling from her clenched fist, the female stood rigid. A deep line formed between perfectly made up brows and a sneer took over plum coloured lips. “All you do is scream.”

“P-please don’t kill us. We’re sorry for disturbing your grave.” HoSeok choked, still hidden behind the kitchen counter.

“Eh?” She looked over her shoulder, but the speaker was nowhere to be seen. “Do I look like I could fit in a plant pot? My grave isn’t there, you idiot.”

Still stuck on his rear, propped up by his elbows as the corner of the coffee table dug into his back, YoonGi stuttered manically. “W-who are you? Wha-wha-what do you want?”

Peering down on the homeowner with dark intent, the female clicked her tongue off of her teeth. “Would you piss your pants if I said ‘Your soul?’”

“Most likely.” He yelped, his chest heaving and falling like he was about to have a heart attack for real.

“Aish...really.” Scratching the back of her neck with long nails coated in chipped black polish, the woman who’d materialized was at a loss.

Staggering up to his feet, NamJoon found his legs uncooperative. Swaying, he held onto the wall. “Are you,” Swallowing down the dry lump stuck in the back of his throat, the blond pulled himself together for the sake of curiosity. “really a g-ghost?”

The addressed glanced over and nodded upwards with distaste. “What was you expecting, long black hair, a white gown, and some dodgy gutteral noises?”

A crash came from behind the counter and the female sauntered over to inspect the commotion. Looking down her nose, she folder her arms beneath her bust. “Jesus Christ, he fainted.”

“HoSeok!” Clearly the unbelievable standing before them was not enough to suppress their natural instincts to save their friend. Both NamJoon and YoonGi rushed to the man who had passed out. Fretting around the sprawled out, unconscious body, patting and wafting him, the dopey duo caterwauled at each other, not even listening to what the other was trying to say.

“Now you can see me, I think we have some things to discuss.” The woman hummed as she leaned her elbow on the kitchen side. Watching the panicked scene going on at her knee level, she shook her head. “Are you listening to me?” When she received no answer due to the two men fussing over the still body, the woman took the plastic jug off the drainer. Filling the container with water, she promptly emptied its contents on HoSeok, which also happened to pass over both NamJoon’s and YoonGi’s heads in the process.

Hacking for a breath not laden with water, the brunet glanced around in disorientation. Swiping the water off of his face, YoonGi glowered up at his disturbance, but then remembered that it was not just an ordinary girl.

“Look, all better.” She deadpan, only to received angry looks from the other two. “Don’t be so butthurt just ‘cause you didn’t think of it first.”

“You’re crazy.”

“I’m dead, I think that trumps everything else.” Holding upturned palms up at shoulder height, she shrugged. “And you’re now conversing with me. Who’s crazy?” She widened her eyes and waved her hands by her wobbling head in mockery.

“I-Ugh-bu-”

“Don’t hurt yourself.” She cut in with a deadpan tone and all YoonGi could do was huff and frown. “But really, we need to talk.”

Shooting up, the homeowner pointed aggressively. “Don’t make it sound like a girlfriend about to break up with me!”

Eyesbrows raised to great heights and smirk tugging at beestung lips, the female twinkled her fingers just above her head as she spun around the shortest. “Past trauma, or what?”

The brunet snapped. Slamming his hand on the counter with one hand, he pointed at the female with the other. “Just shut up.”

“Oh, I don’t think so.” Halting her eccentric bodily movements, the young woman appearing no older than twenty five placed both palms on the kitchen island. Lurching forward and putting her face closer to the man stood on the other side, the pink haired female narrowed her eyes and bared her teeth in a dark grin. “You’re the first person that’s been able to communicate with me properly.”

“Is it the necklace?” He snatched the item clear out of the waistband of her skirt and held it above his head. “If that’s it, I’m going to throw it out there.” He marched towards the balcony.

Holding back from making a remark that she was taller than him and thus, able to easily take the item back even if he held it up, the woman turned around to watch the man fight with the patio doors. “Do you want to die?” Her tone went flat and the look on her face told she wasn’t trying to be funny.

“H-Hyung...” Startled into recovery, HoSeok and NamJoon had scuttled over to open space between the counter and his bedroom door. “What are you doing?” The tallest asked nervously as he glanced between his friends and the intruder.

Racked by stress and a million thoughts rushing through his head, YoonGi was on the precipice of cracking. Waving the charms around, the brunet lost his . Neck veins visible as his ivory skin turned ruddy, he barked like a madman.

“If you throw that necklace out there, I will in' kill you and then you'll be stuck with me forever. Literally, like, forever."

 


 

Posted: 9th Feb 2015 - 17:42
Updated: 18th April 2018 - 13:30