Going Crazy

What Am I To You? [That Girl Is A Problem] Series

 

 

Chapter 1
Going Crazy

 

 


 

Saturday, 29th November - 11:54


Clank.

Clank.

Clank...Clank...Thud.

Stirring thanks to the ruckus, YoonGi groaned. Cold sweat drenched his frame, causing the inside of his sleeping bag to feel damp and nasty. He hadn’t noticed it due to being in a coma-like sleep, but now he did; it was freezing. The temperature shouldn’t have come as much of a shock as it did, as he was told that the boiler occasionally gave up on itself and left the inhabitants of the four-storey building to whittle away from hypothermia. What was strange though - once his alcohol fuelled brain started to pick up its regular speed - was the noises coming from the sitting room only a flimsy wall away.

So now, the new tenant was between horribly damp encasing and a suspicious, and potentially dangerous, situation: He could stay in his sleeping bag and try to wish away his frozen extremities, or he could go and investigate the disturbance in his living room. Which just so happened to be where his electric heater was. He thought it over good and thoroughly, and came to a single decision. He was going to die no matter what he did, so he might as well perish in the warmth of the petrol-scented fumes which exuded from the temperamental little machine he had picked up from a thift store. Forcing himself up in one swift jolt, as if he didn’t do it like that, then he would never have the motivation to move. Staggering around like a madman cosplaying a caterpillar, narrowly missing an empty bowl and his phone left on the dusty floor, the brunet toppled into a stack of boxes.

Seriously, this was getting him nowhere, except a little closer to becoming a cripple. He should just be a man and take on the weather like the warrior he was.

Heaving a breath, YoonGi wriggled his shoulders until his arms were free. Immediately regretting it, he grit his teeth even tighter than before and shrugged off the quilted second skin. Doing a hop, skip, and a jump over his scattered belongings left out from the night before, he rushed towards the frail bedroom door. Almost ripping it off its hinge, the brunet dashed out into the open space housing his kitchen and sitting room. Hit by a wall of frigid winter air and the scent of cigarette smoke, YoonGi almost let out a yelp. If he thought his room was cold, then in there was worse than being stuck in a freezer. And yes, he did know how that felt. Hot, erratic breath turning into condensation as soon as it passed his shivering lips, the tenant looked around the dilapidated apartment. And then he found it, and his discomfort quickly turned to anger. Snatching his Parka off the top on one of the never ending stacks of boxes, the brunet slipped his arms through in irritation. Swollen eyes locked on their target as bare feet met the prickling concrete floor with each stomp.

How it happened, he didn’t know. He hadn’t drunk enough to do something so obscure, and he certainly wasn’t stupid enough to forget how cold his home town got in winter. Yet, the balcony door was wide open.

Grabbing the handle-turned-icicle, YoonGi dragged the glass barrier shut. Really, it was a hindrance in itself to try to open or shut the damn thing, if he would have attempted that at the point where he was so out of his mind that he couldn't remember it, then he would have most likely fallen off the balcony to his demise. Turning around and resting his back against the smeared panes, the brunet heaved a breath and scratched the back of his bedhead. Eyes drifting along the unorganized mess surrounding him, he could do nothing but sigh. He was supposed to have unpacked yesterday, but...As he could see by the empty cans and bottles scattered around, his ‘don’t give a ’ side had other plans. Continuing his inspection of the death-trap with its walls peeling around the top and the chipped kitchen counter, and th-

Narrowing his eyes, the brunet thought back to the day before. He had got freaked out after hearing a neighbour’s voice at the same time as his stating his displeasure over the state of the plants on the balcony, and then there was the banging which had woke him up, then the balcony doors being left open...Now all of the kitchen cupboards were wide open. Rushing across the space, YoonGi slammed all of the cheaply made doors shut. As the last one connected with its frame, a spark went off in his head. It was the exact same sound as what had woke him up. Feeling his chest tighten and the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end, the brunet tensed on the spot.

Dungk, dungk, dungk!

Letting out a high pitched shriek, the tenant jumped a foot in the air. Spinning around, his eyes darting left and right as he lowered his stance at the ready, YoonGi clenched his fists. Someone was ing with him, and when he found out who it was, he was going to kick their and push them off that stupid ing balcony.

“Hyung? Hyung, are you okay?” The familiar tone of one of his closest friends called out from the other side of the front door.

“Was that him screaming?” He could hear another familiar voice muffle past the heavy duty fire door.

in as much of the bitter air as he could, and then blowing it out slowly through pinched lips, YoonGi tried to pull himself together. Speed-walking towards the door, the rattled man unlocked the barrier and gave it a shove. Being met by two taller men, YoonGi felt a weight lift off of him.

“Were you screaming?”

Trembling from the adrenaline, YoonGi forced his nose up in the air. “Why would I be screaming?”

Shrugging, the man with bleached hair and a tan held up two white plastic bags. “Whatever you say.”

“What is it?” He asked as he received the bag from the giant kicking his shoes off.

“I’m coming in~” The tallest mumbled and promptly did as he said he would.

Hands full with more bags, the brunet of the pair of guests grinned like a fool. “Your elevator is broke after the first floor; we had to walk up nine flights!” Swaying as he tried to kick his shoes off and hold his balance, the second man swung his arms. “Excuse us~” And again, the other guest squeezed his way past the homeowner and made his way into the sitting room.

“The view’s cool though.” The blond nodded approvingly when he saw the seaside spanning out into the mist through the patio doors. “I bet the sunset is pretty.”

“What are you saying in a room full of guys?” The tallest of the two brunets yacked in disgust.

YoonGi watched his two middle school pals, Jung HoSeok and Kim NamJoon, offload their belongings and begin their noseying with an accompaniment of snarky remarks being batted back and forth. They were the same as always. How could they be so at ease? Was it all in his head? Was the trauma of the recent passing of both of his parents too much for his mind? Was he really going cra-

“Ooh~ Has Hyung been greeting the female neighbours?” HoSeok peered back over his shoulder to the shortest and smiled from ear to ear.

Brows furrowing in confusion, YoonGi shut the door absent mindedly and walked over to the joker. “What are you talking about?”

Holding up one of the many empty soju bottles, the man with his bangs quiffed back squirmed comically. “But purple lipstick?” He raised a brow in question.

Scurrying over to take a look at the irrefutable evidence, NamJoon scrunched his face and wriggled his fingers. “That’s more plum coloured.” He told as if that was the important part. “Unless it’s YoonGi-Yah that’s picked up a weird habit since living alone.”

Snatching the bottle from HoSeok’s hands, the homeowner inspected the top of the green glass bottle. Swiping his finger along the rim and then rubbing his fingers together, he felt his gut sink.

Eyes snapping up to meet those of his guests staring back at him in anticipation for some gory details, YoonGi the bottle back into HoSeok’s hands. Backing away, he shook his head. “I was alone. I’ve been on my own since I got here.” He preached, but all he got was teasing nods and smiles that said there was no way they believed him. “I’m being serious; weird stuff’s been happening.”

Taking a can of energy drink from one of the carrier bags, NamJoon rested his forearm on one of the cardboard towers. “So, what,” Cracking the seal, the blond shrugged with a raised brow. “you have a ghost?”

“A hot Noona ghost, hopefully.” HoSeok quipped as shuffled towards the sliding glass doors.

“Is that why you were screaming? I knew it was you.” The tallest felt the pieces fall into place and he couldn't help but to cackle at his scaredy-cat pal.

“Shut the Hell up.” YoonGi faced away from the pair having a laugh at his expense. “Are you mocking me? You think I’m imagining it, don’t you?”

Both guests paused what they were doing to give solemn looks. Putting his drink down on the makeshift leaning-post before even taking a sip, NamJoon lowered his tone. “You’ve been through a rough time over the last two weeks.”

“I don’t want to hear that.”

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

“I just said I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Okay, I’ll drop it.” NamJoon wafted away the heavy air turning the atmosphere bad. “If it’s really been bothering you, what makes you think there is something wrong with the apartment?”

YoonGi begrudgingly went about explaining what had happened. He almost said he didn’t want to talk about that either, but that would have made for the same-old type of conversations. At present, he was a boring guy with no hobbies and a deadbeat part-time job. Mind, he hadn’t always been so gloomy. Back in his high school days, the three of them would mess around with making music and dancing, they’d write raps and joke about being the next big thing while chasing unattainable girls. Now, his sarcasm and morbid outlook brought most people down.

The two guests thought about what had been said to them, but really, what could they say to it? They weren't teenage girls interested in horoscopes informing them if their crush would ever like them back, they were adults; grown men who weren’t privy to the goings on of spirits.

“I need a pair of scissors, or a sharp knife.” HoSeok told as he rolled the sleeves of his hoodie up to his elbows.

YoonGi flipped out. “What are you planning, you fool?”

 

 


 

Earlier That Morning...


Clank.
Hissing and spitting like an angry cat, the pink haired woman spun around. Teeth bared and brows furrowed, she went to kick the barrier but paused when she realized that would make even more noise. ‘That Goddamn door.’ It would always slip from her grasp and bang shut. Who knows how many times she came and went through that apartment, yet it still did it every single time.

Clank.
Her foot caught off one of the stacks of boxes. ‘Jesus in’ Christ!’ Her arms flailed as she bumped into the foreign objects. ‘Such a tardy guy.’

Clank...Clank...Thud.
‘Hehhhh~’ The rough tone of her husky voice was only heard by herself as she inspected the inside of the cupboards. ‘The first person to sense me in who knows how long and he can’t even unpack or do grocery shopping; just my luck.’

Giving up on trying to find anything of interest around there, the slender female dressed in black punk gear ambled towards the sitting room. Dodging the boxes and empty beer cans with care, she made for the balcony. Picking up a half drank bottle of soju, she heaved open the glass sliding doors.

Despite knowing it was the midst of winter, she could barely feel the chill that seemingly ran straight through her. Stepping out onto the little extension, the woman graced the world with her presence. Nobody could see her, but she saw everything. The grey which spanned both above in the sky and below in the town, the group of three elementary children playing catch in the almost forgotten courtyard, and the sea. The slate waves crashing and the occasional fishing boat - it had a longing feeling which she could relate to. No matter where she went throughout the building, this was her favourite spot; there was nowhere like it, in terms of the view, or the feeling she got whilst standing there.

Coming back from her thoughts, the pink haired female could hear a commotion in the next room. ‘I hope I woke you up, .’ She bitterly took a swig of the booze despite knowing there was never going to be a burn at the back of , or a buzz that came after a few more chugs. The door to the bedroom whooshed open and out staggered the new tenant. Hair a state and sleep around his sharp eyes, the man wearing two sets of tracksuit bottoms and a sweater two sized too big hobbled out into the main space. ‘Did I wake you, Your Highness?’ The woman cooed facetiously.

Hit by a wall of frigid winter air mixed with something foreign, YoonGi almost let out a yelp.

For her, there was nothing more fun than ing with new tenants. It’s not like she had anything better to do. And like she’d mulled over a million times before - usually in outrageous fashions where she’d run down the halls screaming at the top of her lungs just because she could - the most attention anyone ever paid her was some tepid suspicion caused by paranoia, or someone noticing her trademark scent: a sweet, musky perfume and the remnants of her past habit of smoking. Oh, there was also that other one, but he was different.

Watching the man look around with a wary expression on his face brought a smirk to her own. But then, he locked eyes with her and her heart skipped a beat. “That Goddamn door.”

Disappointed that he had just looked straight through her, the woman jut her jaw out and scoffed. ‘That’s my line.’ She muttered dryly as she watched him pick up his coat and make haste for the open barrier.

Getting out of dodge from the sliding pane, the female bit at his rudeness. She knew he couldn’t see her, and therefore it wasn’t his fault, but still. It irked her. Placing the bottle down out of sight, she sat on the edge of one of the more sturdy plastic storage crates. Crossing one leg over the other, uncaring about the leather mini skirt riding up to flash the lace tops of her stockings, she continued her watching of the odd man.

He stood in the centre of the space for some moments, rubbing the side of his head, as if in thought. His mere expression changes were even better than a baseball game final. He was truly perplexed as his head snapped left and right as he tried to fathom what was going on. Apparently, he had given up on trying to put the puzzle pieces together as he rested his back on the barrier only two feet from her.

Now she looked at him up close, he was rather handsome with his distinct eyes, a sharp jawline, and flawless milky skin. If you were interested in guys like him...Which she wasn’t. She had outgrown her lust for looks alone a long time ago. Now all she saw was his laziness, lack of common sense, the fact he scared easily, and was a drunk. Though, she couldn’t really call him for the last offence. She may not remember much about her past, but she was pretty damn sure she was as much of a lush, if not more, than him.

Apparently, he had been looking around the apartment the same way she’d been scrutinizing him. His eyes narrowed and his mouth dropped ajar slightly, as if he’d noticed something important, so she followed his line of sight. Holding her hand up in mocking apology, the female drowned. ‘Sorry ‘bout the cupboards.’ She wasn’t sorry at all.

Startled by the man suddenly rushing across the space, the woman her lips and crossed her arms under her bust in wait for what he was going to do next. The new tenant paused beside the counter hesitantly. ‘Aye, aaaye~’ Drawing out her words, the female stood up and stretched. ‘Come on, man. I’m not even over there.’ Coughing a laugh, she followed the maze like path around the boxes which he had only seconds before. Making it within touching distance, the woman the same height as the new homeowner leaned closer. An inch from touching her new plaything, the female blew slowly on the back of his ear.

Of course, he did the exact same thing as every other person she’d blew cold air on did. They tensed, she cackled, and then they’d either run away like a retard, or they'd dash to fix whatever she’d moved so they could pretend it never happened. And just like that, he stumbled a step into the cooking area and smacked all of the cupboard doors shut like a crazy person. Ah, this was probably a first when it came to the cupboards prank. Most people ran away after that, especially if they’d noticed something else beforehand.

Dungk, dungk, dungk!

A bang which didn’t belong to her sounded throughout the apartment and the brunet flapped as a screech escaped him. Even this was enough to make the woman recoil in shock. Rubbing her ear with her palm, the female pulled a disgruntled face. ‘He really went and screamed. Good Lord...’ Shaking her head, she moved towards the door to see who was calling on him.

“Hyung? Hyung, are you okay?” A male voice called out from the other side of the front door.

“Was that him screaming?” She could hear another man muffle past the heavy duty fire door.

Chuckling at the situation, she crossed her arms under her chest and leaned against the wall just past the foyer. She watched the brunet try to sort his flush out and pump himself up enough to open the door. Pulling himself together, the tenant unlocked the latch and pushed the door open to reveal a taller male pair.

“YoonGi-Yah, were you screaming?” The first, a tall blond with his hair cut short at the sides asked, his voice surprisingly deep for his innocent appearance.

‘YoonGi, eh?’ She mused over finally knowing his name.

The man she’d been messing with forced his nose up in the air. “Why would I be screaming?”

'What a fibber.'

Shrugging, the man with bleached hair and a tan held up two white plastic bags. “Whatever you say.”

“What is it?” He asked as he received the bag from the giant kicking his shoes off.

“I’m coming in.” The tallest mumbled and promptly did as he said he would.

Hands full with more bags, the brunet of the guests grinned like a fool. “Your elevator is broke after the first floor; we had to walk up nine flights!” Swaying as he tried to kick his shoes off and hold his balance, the second man swung his arms. “Excuse us~” And again, another guest squeezed his way past the home owner and made his way into the sitting room.

Already over by the verander, the blond nodded in approvement. “The view’s pretty cool though.”

‘Finally, someone with taste.’

“Ooh~ Has Hyung been greeting the female neighbours?” The taller brunet peered back over his shoulder to the shortest and smiled from ear to ear.

“What are you talking about?” YoonGi snapped.

Holding up one of the many empty soju bottles, the man with his bangs quiffed back squirmed comically. “But purple lipstick?” He raised a brow in question.

‘What’s wrong with my lipstick, asshat? And besides, it's plum.’

Scurrying over to take a look at the irrefutable evidence, the blond scrunched his face and wriggled his fingers. “That’s more plum coloured.” He told as if that was the important part. “Unless it’s YoonGi-Yah that’s picked up a weird habit since living alone.”

Snatching the bottle from his friend’s hands, the homeowner inspected the top of the green glass bottle. Swiping his finger along the rim and then rubbing his fingers together, he felt his stomach drop. Eyes snapping up to meet those of his guests staring back at him in anticipation for some gory details, YoonGi the bottle back into his fellow brunette’s hands. Backing away, he shook his head. “I was alone. I’ve been on my own since I got here.” He preached but all he got was teasing nods and smiles that said there was no way they believed him. “I’m being serious; weird stuff’s been happening.”

‘So, you do have some sense?’ Throwing her hands in the air and spinning around the trio like a ballerina on crack, the female sung gospel the best she could, which just so happened to be worse than a deaf kid trying to sing Mariah Carey high falsetto. It was a good job nobody could hear her. ‘Praise the Lord!’

Taking a can of energy drink from one of the carrier bags, the blond rested his forearm on one of the cardboard towers. “So, what,” Cracking the seal, he shrugged with a raised brow. “you have a ghost?”

Snapping out of her stupidity, the pink haired apparition flung herself towards the man. Catching the edge of the opposite side of the boxes, she beamed up with forced sparkly eyes. ‘Yes, yes! Tell him!’

“A hot Noona ghost, hopefully.” The brunet guest quipped as he shuffled towards the sliding glass doors.

‘Hm, Hmm! Now you’re getting it!' The woman bobbed her head excitedly.

“Are you mocking me? You think I’m imagining it, don’t you?” YoonGi grumbled.

Both guests paused what they were doing to give solemn looks. Putting his drink down on the makeshift leaning-post before even taking a sip, the blond lowered his tone. “You’ve been through a rough time over the last two weeks.”

The female halted her tomfoolery upon noticing the dark look cross YoonGi’s face. It was odd; It hurt; It was like she’d seen it before, long ago...before she could recall memories by their visual.

“I don’t want to hear that.” The homeowner turned his face away.

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

“I just said I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Okay, I’ll drop it.” The blonde sent his pal a side glance before returning his line of sight to the eldest. “If it’s really been bothering you, what makes you think there is something wrong with the apartment?”

YoonGi begrudgingly went about explaining what had happened as the unseen woman listened to the events in the man’s own words. When he said it like that, he made it seem like what she had done was really troublesome for him.

“I need a pair of scissors, or a sharp knife.” The taller brunet told as he rolled the sleeves of his hoodie up to his elbows.

Eyes going wide, the female held out her hands subconsciously.

YoonGi snapped to attention, a flash of rage on his face. “What are you planning, you fool?”

Shrinking back from the abrupt yelling, the guest pointed towards the verander. “From how it sounds, perhaps it has something to do with the plants.”

Realizing that his friend wasn’t going to do something stupid, the eldest relaxed. “Are you saying you believe me?”

“Who can say what really happened. We weren’t here.” Stretching his arms above his head, the brunet guest smiled. “But it can’t hurt to sort out the scene from The Day of the Triffids that is going on out there.”

‘For an lazy, nonsensical guy, your friends are pretty smart...’ Brushing her hand across the YoonGi’s shoulder, the woman turned her back on the group. Her insides stung and her eyes prickled with something forgotten. Whatever it was, she couldn’t watch what would come of their new task. She was scared of what would happen.

The light click of the front door caught the attention of the occupants. YoonGi’s eyes shot to his friends. By the time his line of sight was on them, the pair were in each others hold. “I told you.” He mumbled.

“It could be the wind...?” The blond croaked.

Tightening his grip on the taller male, the brunet’s voice rose several tones higher. “Who are you trying to convince? It’s a freaking security door!”

 


 

Updated: 18th April 2018 - 13:06