Chapter Two

That's My Roommate

Chapter TWO

That evening, Taehyun seated himself down in a bar within the campus area. Checking his watch for time, he casually waved at his friend once he spotted the familiar figure walking in from the entrance.

“Ayo whazzzup!” His friend greeted once he took a seat and looked at Taehyun. “Seeing you smiling like that… I guess everything worked out well?”

“Hell yeah! Seunghoon hyung, your advice worked so well I cannot believe it! I owe you one bro, this round is on me!” Taehyun grinned as he quickly placed an order with the waitress.

“Ha! Good to know.” Seunghoon lets out a sigh of relief. “So how’s the place then?”

“Place is great! I get a pretty decent room to myself with a desk and everything in it. I’m getting my bed delivered tomorrow. I also managed to talk him into sharing everything else in the apartment. All for $400 a month! Can you believe it? And it’s only two blocks away from school!”

“Dang, such a steal. Told you my idea would work!” Seunghoon laughed light heartedly.

“You know what I did?” Taehyun sat up and straightened his shirt then suddenly began his poker face while trying to suppress his laughs. He glanced around his surroundings. “Kitchen’s a little too small…” He stared off at another corner. “Hmm, not really what I’m looking for but I guess it’s okay.” He then resumed his laughing expression. “Then I managed to lower my rent HAHAHA! I can’t believe complaining and looking disinterested actually worked.”

Seunghoon wiggled his eyebrows. “Glad I’m of some help!”

“Thanks hyung. Sorry that I’ve been crashing at your place for so long and thanks for taking me in. I owe you a lot man.” Taehyun said, lifting his pint of beer up to his friend.

“Eh… That’s what friends are for right? Don’t worry about it!” Seungyoon laughed nervously. “Well, how’s your roommate anyways?”

Taehyun shrugged. “Couldn’t care less. I only care about having a place to stay.” He trailed off, seemingly thinking of something to say. “It seems like he really likes guitars though. He has a few lying around in the living room.”

“Oh? Perhaps he’s another music major like us?”

“Beats me. Could just be a hobby. Speaking of which, I got an offer to perform for the opening day at school next week!”

“Really??” Seunghoon beamed. “Well, who else would they get anyways? No one sings as well as you do!”

“Oh hyung!” Taehyun whined playfully, embarrassed by his friend’s words. “Well, I took the offer since I think it’ll help me build some experiences so why not?”

“Good for you.” Seunghoon replied. “Don’t forget about me when you become famous!”

Taehyun chuckled and shook his head. “Anyways… I should get going soon. Still have some errands to run before calling it a night. I’ll see you next week?”

“Cool. See you then!” Seunghoon waved his friend goodbye as he stared at his friend’s retrieving back before taking another sip of beer. “Well, glad I’m off the hook. Best of luck to whoever his new roommate is…“

---

Hell.

Hell is the perfect word to describe Seungyoon’s new life since Taehyun moved in with him. It has only been 24 hours but Seungyoon has already noticed the darkening spots beneath his eyes. As well, he questioned himself numerous times why he lets Minho and Jinwoo persuade him successfully about the whole roommate thing but he blamed it on himself when he received another death call from his landlord. Right now, he wished for nothing more than to undo the mistake of taking Taehyun as his roommate. Oh, how he missed those days when he lived alone. When he still had the freedom of walking around , eating a tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream while watching Netflix, and singing for a crowd of imaginary fans in the shower without being judged.

That has all come to a stop because of what he despises of the most- a roommate.

Of course he cannot let Taehyun know of his little secrets. Seungyoon shuddered unconsciously at the thought of what will happen when his roommate finds out that he used to dance like a dork in the middle of the living room or when he used to run home at the end of the day to let one rip because he has been holding it in and knows it’s going to be a silent and deadly one. This often leads to him blaming it on the lunch that Minho prepared for him… but some habits just never change. 

With that said, Seungyoon wasn’t just feeling miserable because of the things he cannot do anymore, but also with the new things he is now forced to do.

“So what’s so bad about him anyways?” Jinwoo asks Seungyoon during another shift together at Munch Box the following evening. 

“Everything.” Seungyoon simply replied and shook his head in disbelief. “You know what he did this morning while I was having my beauty sleep? I don’t know what kind of set up he has but he was blasting songs so loud it sounded like he was playing music right next to my ears!”

Minho crossed his arms. “Well, I like to play my music loudly too.”

“Yeah but who does it at the wee hours of the morning? It was like at 10AM!”

“Well, for the most part, almost everyone should be out and about with their life as of that time…” Jinwoo shuddered as he earned a glare from Seungyoon. “Well, I guess you DID close the shift last night…”

“And you know what else happened?” Seungyoon continues, “I was up fixing up some breakfast since I couldn’t sleep anymore and you know what I found? DIRTY PLATES! Dirty plates and utensils on the dining table and in the kitchen sink! Isn’t it one’s duty to clean up after himself? And you know what else I found? There are bread crumbs on the sofa AND on the damn floor! I mean, what the heck was he doing when he’s eating? Dancing salsa with a piece of toast dangling from his mouth?”

“That… sounds interesting.” Minho mumbled before walking over to a table in need.

“Why don’t you talk to him about it?”Jinwoo suggested. “You got to do something if you two are living together now.”

Seungyoon rolled his eyes. “I wanted to but he was out already when I wanted to confront him.” He sighed deeply. “Just my luck...”

Minho returns shortly and gives Seungyoon a pat on his back. “Here’s a word of advice from someone who has a roommate…” The elder then brings out his hand from left to right as if there’s an imaginary explanation chart before them. He steals a glance at Seungyoon and explains, “It’s all about compromising.”

Jinwoo chuckled at Minho’s know-it-all attitude. “You make it sound like they’re in a relationship.”

Minho gave the doe- eyed boy a ‘please let me finish’ look. He continues, “Yes, indeed. It IS a relationship. Except your relationship with your roommate is even more important since you two are living together. And when money is involved then OH BOY! Let me tell ya, things get complicated.”

“Well crap, why did I even listened to your advice in the beginning?” Seungyoon looked like he was about to cry.

“It’s not going to be that bad. Trust me.” Minho replied. “It gets some time to get used to living with someone. I give it a week tops. You’ll be fine.”

Jinwoo nodded. “Minho’s probably right. Just give it some time, dongseng.”

Seungyoon scowled at their useless advices when the two left the counter area to serve some customers. “Easy to say… hard to do.”

---

Seungyoon went straight home after his shift that night. It was around 9 o’clock when he opened the front door to his apartment but Taehyun still hasn’t returned home yet. He mentally noted to himself that he has to confront Taehyun about his lazy behaviour no matter what later that evening. In the meantime, he decided to spend his time doing something he is only able to do alone- playing guitar and singing. He picked up one of his most treasured instruments and lightly brushed off the layer of dust collecting oh-so-delicately on top before placing it on his lap. Crossing one leg over, he slowly checked for the correct tuning. After some hesitation and staring in admiration of his guitar, he finally strummed his first note. Upon hearing the melody, a grin slowly found its way on his face. He cleared his throat and began playing one of his favourite songs- Instinctively.

Music notes were played flawlessly as his fingers danced along the six strings, lying across the hollowed wooden instrument.  He closed his eyes as the familiar tune revisits his eardrums and cleared his throat before annunciating the lyrics to the song.

Playing guitar and singing was something effortless and comforting for Seungyoon. When he first moved out from home, he cannot lie but to admit that it was a huge change for him and that he has taken a huge milestone. It was especially difficult for him to adjust to his new schedule since he began to take on a part time job while being a full time student. That was when he found his passion for music and composition. Playing music soothes him and there was nothing more comfortable for Seungyoon than playing guitar and singing. Playing music was the only time he was able to take his mind off school and work and to focus on himself.

However, living in a typical Asian household, he assumed his mother to expect him in becoming a lawyer, an engineer, or a doctor. He was surprised at how well she took it when he explained that he wanted to major in Music. It’s true that she was slightly disappointed, but like all mothers, she wish for nothing more than happiness and good health for her only child. He was extremely happy that his mother has accepted him for choosing his major. Since that day onward, Seungyoon began playing guitar every day. He started composing songs and tried improving his singing whenever he is able. Within a short amount of time, he made it to the top of his class. Seungyoon smiled unconsciously at the sweet and loving memories as he continued singing.

However, that all turned upside down when he recalls his conversation with Minho at work earlier that evening.

-flash back-

Seungyoon brought some steak and eggs over to a table that has been complaining about the slow service. After mumbling a quick apology to the customers, he returned to the kitchen area and noticed Minho gaping at him in a weird behaviour.

“Seungyoon-ah, want to grab a bite after our shift later? My treat!”

“No thanks.”

“Why not? There’s a new restaurant just around the corner.”

“What is it that you want this time?”

Minho laughed forcefully, “What do you mean? Can’t your hyung just treat you well from time to time?”

“Just spill it.”

Seungyoon whipped his head over to his left and waited for Minho to respond. The elder grinned sheepishly and wasted no time in admitting he wanted a favour. “Well… Okay look. I know you might not like what I’m about to ask you to do but if you don’t help me then I am so screwed. For real!”

“I’ll decide on that after I hear you out.” Seungyoon waited for Minho to speak up but the elder stayed silent. “Well? So what is it?”

Minho cleared his throat uneasily but resumed talking. “Do you remember how I’m in charge for organizing events for the first day back at school for orientations and such?” Seungyoon simply nodded without paying much attention and returned his gaze at the glassware he is currently wiping. “Well, the other executives and I have been trying really hard to find students to perform. So far we only have a few people who are interested… I still need someone to fill in a spot for performing a song­… So I was wondering if you’d-”

Seungyoon cut him off shortly. “Sorry but you of all people should know I can’t help you with that.”

“But Seungyoon-ah, it’s just one song! ONE!” Minho lifted his index finger up in order to emphasize his point.

“No hyung. I refuse.” Seungyoon rejected the offer with a little more certainty in his voice this time.

“You’ll be on stage for just like 3 minutes though! It won’t be long!” Minho pleaded, even trying to use his aegyo on the younger.

Seungyoon shook his head. “Just because you’re my hyung, I am now refusing your offer nicely. Otherwise I would’ve punched you in the face already. Please just drop it.”

Minho gulped and lifted both his hands up in defeat. “Alright, alright. Just thought I’d give it a try and ask you anyway. Pretend I didn’t say anything.” The elder then walked off grumpily to seat some customers who have just walked in.

The younger male simply stared at Minho’s back and heaved a sigh of relief. He pursed his lips as his visage began to form a troubled expression.

-end of flashback-

Seungyoon’s eyebrows began to narrow and he squinted his already closed eyes, as if he was in an immense amount of pain. He suddenly choked out the lyrics and stopped singing when his fingers failed him and strummed a note that was off tune.  He suddenly opened his eyes in shock when atrocious memories that he tried so hard to bury came floating back, reminding him of his past right before his eyes. He placed his hand on his heart, attempting to calm himself down. He let out an anxious sigh and quickly placed his guitar away to where it was sitting earlier.

“What’s wrong? You were playing so well. Why did you stop?”

Seungyoon immediately turned to the source of the voice and saw his roommate leaning against the wall comfortably with both arms crossed over his chest. Judging from his stance, Seungyoon assumed Taehyun has been standing there for a while now. “When did you get here?”

Taehyun simply shrugged and walked over to take a seat near Seungyoon but still at an appropriate distance from each other. “I didn’t know you can sing so well. Did you take singing lessons?”

“Fine, don’t answer me.” Seungyoon quickly got up from his seat. He simply wanted to be alone, not in the center of attention where his roommate can pester him with more questions.

“Are you a Music major too? You’re probably one of the best in class.” Taehyun questioned again and picked up the guitar that Seungyoon was playing just moments ago.

“Enough!” Seungyoon angrily exclaimed as he immediately retrieved his beloved possession from his roommate’s grasp. He turned his head around to stare into Taehyun’s eyes, his gaze so ferocious it could have killed Taehyun’s soul.  “I’m not majoring in Music and don’t you dare touch my guitar!”

“Jesus what’s wrong with you? I just wanted to get to know you better.” Taehyun muttered before heading back into his room, slamming his door shut menacingly.

Stealing a glance at the guitar he snatched from Taehyun, Seungyoon heaved a sigh and shook his head in regret. Seungyoon couldn’t help it but to stare off at Taehyun’s door. He swallowed hard. He didn’t mean to yell at his roommate but he also disliked being asked about his past. He rubbed his temples to soothe his oncoming headache away. ‘Great. I didn’t even get to confront him about the dirty dishes.’ He decided to will do it next time.

---

Next time? There was no next time. Seungyoon barely saw Taehyun for the past few days. The frustrated brunette couldn’t even figure out where his roommate could be. School is starting tomorrow and he highly doubts that Taehyun works at a job that requires him 24/7. He wasn’t sure if the younger was avoiding him because of the unpleasant argument that particular evening but he tried to not take it to heart. He figured that Taehyun’s absence was for the better anyways since it feels like he’s living alone and that nothing has changed. However, the dirty plates on the kitchen counter and bread crumbs on the floor issue weren’t getting any better. Seungyoon decided to talk to Taehyun that day if he sees him.

On the other hand, Seungyoon thought that maybe it wasn’t a good idea to lecture Taehyun again. He reasoned with himself that ‘Taehyun is a grown up and he’s probably sick of me bringing up all these things to argue about.’ In the end, he decided to simply leave a note so that Taehyun can have a constant reminder to clean up after himself.

He quickly scribbled a message on a yellow post it note and pasted it on the dining table. On second thoughts, Seungyoon grabbed the stack of post it notes and wrote even more messages and stuck the pieces of paper around the area. He took a step back and used a whole minute to admire his beautifully crafted work. He smiled and nodded at himself, fully impressed with his awesome idea.

His phone began ringing and he quickly reminded himself that Jinwoo and he were supposed to meet up five minutes ago to check out the events that are offered for the first day back to college. Grabbing a light jacket, he dashed out the door before his hyung can nag him about being late.

---

“Hyung… I’m tired. Let’s just grab something quick to eat!” Seungyoon suggested as the two walked around aimlessly around campus amongst the crowd of students. However, Jinwoo didn’t seem to mind the stuffiness or the amount of people that stepped on his foot so far. He is extremely fascinated with everything going on around them, which caught Seungyoon by surprise as it is already the third year that they’re attending these kind of back to school events. Jinwoo smiled brightly and stopped walking suddenly to watch a group of dancers performing in the middle of the street. After a tug on his sleeve by Seungyoon, he then turned his head and let his gaze linger on a magician showing a magic trick at the other side of the road. Jinwoo clapped excitedly once the magician performed a trick perfectly.

“Aren’t you hungry at all?” Seungyoon asked with a sullen look.

“Shouldn’t we wait for Minho though? His shift at his booth is ending in a few minutes anyways.” Jinwoo suggested. “Let’s go find his booth now!”

The brunette merely nodded at the idea and followed Jinwoo’s footsteps. He also didn’t know why he decided to follow Jinwoo instead of getting a copy of the pamphlet that shows the location of each booth, for the two are lost after a few minutes of roaming around.

“I know I shouldn’t have followed your lead…” Seungyoon was getting impatient as they made another loop and stopped in front of the group of dancers again. He decided to just trust his manly instincts and find Minho with his better sense of direction. Jinwoo simply followed after the younger with a pout.

Seungyoon took a left this time and managed to walk straight in spite of the crowds of people. However, he had to stop on his track multiple times because Jinwoo was stopped and being lured away by many club executives.

“Hey cutie pie. Why don’t you join our hip hop club?” A young lady with a smirk approached Jinwoo. “You’ll for sure be a great addition to our team!” She gave him a wink before Seungyoon was able to pull a shocked Jinwoo away.

There was another time where two girls from two different clubs stood in the middle of the street, each holding onto one of Jinwoo’s arms in an attempt to get him to sign up for their club. “Oppa, you should join our club! Our soccer club is most definitely more popular than hers!” This only caused the other girl to retort back something similar, “yeah right! Our fencing club is absolutely wonderful and you will get to meet lots of people here!”

Jinwoo looked lost and didn’t know how to reject the both of them. “Um… Both clubs are good I think.” To which the girls beamed, showing their pearly whites at the young man. “But…”

“But my friend here has no interest in either. Sorry!” Seungyoon stepped in to help his hyung and successfully snatched him away to safety once again.

“Thank you Seungyoon-ah. I don’t know what to do without you!” Jinwoo grinned cheerfully and laid his arm onto Seungyoon’s shoulder for safety measure.

Seungyoon simply chuckled at his hyung’s behaviour and continued to lead the way across the campus. That was also when the duo spotted the main stage of the event and saw Minho waving at them from a distance.

“Oh yes we can finally eat!” Seungyoon exclaimed as he felt his hunger kicking in even stronger than before. Jinwoo shook his head and pulled him towards Minho’s direction.

The two jogged up to their friend, who smiled at them excitedly. “Did you guys join any clubs this year?” Minho simply received a shake of the head from the duo.

“I’m hungry! Let’s go eat!” Jinwoo finally suggested what Seungyoon has been dying to hear the past hour.

“Awww. You guys don’t want to stay for the performance?” Minho pointed at the stage behind him that he just finished helping set up. “Well where do you guys want to go then?” He glanced at Seungyoon for any recommendations.

The youngest was about to suggest the sushi place nearby but stopped once he heard someone singing on stage. Seungyoon was so immersed with the voice that he completely ignored the two beside him. His startled gaze simply focused on the person performing wholeheartedly on stage. “Is- Isn’t that…Taehyun?”

 

Author’s Note:

Hey yo people! Thanks for waiting for my update. I had a bit of a brain fart but managed to complete this chapter and to post it up today *self pat on shoulder*

I’m loving all your comments and encouragements! Thank you so much you all! It always makes my day to see you guys comment!

Alright so… I tried to incorporate some comedic elements and some drama into this chapter. Now you all have a glimps of Seungyoon’s past… hurrhurrhurrrrr excellent.

Anyways, enjoy this chapter and please comment and subscribe if you like what you’re reading!