Chapter One

That's My Roommate

Chapter ONE

It was another casual Tuesday at work for Seungyoon. He walked into Munch Box with a grumpy sigh before boringly tying his server apron around his slim waist. The bell attached to the entrance rang and he immediately mumbled a “table for two?” before seating the pair of regular customers at their usual spot. Seungyoon strode towards the couple from the kitchen, coffee in one hand and a glass of orange juice in the other. He sets the drinks on the table before flashing the couple a forced smile. “The usual?” It was then when the brunette realized he has forgotten to bring over the menus. He secretly hoped the couple would simply go with what they usually order.

“The usual.” The old man repeated after the waiter.

Seungyoon lifted a corner of his lips into a half-hearted smile. “Very well.” He turned towards the kitchen and messily scribbled down their order onto a piece of paper. He was about to place the order with the kitchen but was interrupted by his coworker.

“Seriously? How many times do I have to tell you to write properly?” Jinwoo snatched the order sheet  from Seungyoon’s lifted hand. “Maybe that’s why we’ve been having so much messed up orders recently.”

Seungyoon rolled his eyes. “Whatever hyung. Like I care!” Earning a dirty look of disapproval from the elder.

The bell at the door rang again, indicating that someone has just walked in. Seungyoon was about to mutter out another “welcome” but he stopped his words when he sees his coworker walking in with a yawn.

“Why good morning to you too, Minho hyung.” Seungyoon greeted sarcastically with a grin. “You don’t look like you slept very well.”

“Tell me about it.” Minho replied, taking his sweet time tying the knot of his apron. “I swear if my roommate brings over any girls as loud as the one from last night, I’m going to kick him out!”

“Ha! Seems like someone just ain’t getting some for a long while.” Jinwoo butts into the conversation with a giggle.

“Shut up.” Minho replied in an irritated manner. He glanced over and studied Seungyoon’s face. “You don’t look so good yourself. Speaking of which, I always see you around recently. Not sick of the job?”

Seungyoon sighed and rested his arms on the bar counter. “Does it look like I want to? I have no choice. The new semester is starting in two weeks and I still need to earn enough to pay for tuition. Not to mention those useless textbooks that is required. Ugh and I still need to pay rent for this month… I keep getting death threats from my landlord.” He sighed. “I’m so screwed.” He ran his hand through his hair frustratedly.

Jinwoo patted his friend on the back. “Yeah but it seems like this job is wearing you out a lot. You closed the shift last night and now you’re back here this morning at…” He trailed off, holding up his wrist to take a look at his watch, “7AM. Doesn’t seem very healthy to me.”

“I know and I don’t even know how much longer I can handle it. But no can do.” Seungyoon replied and walked over to a table with their food after hearing a ding from the kitchen.

Jinwoo pouted at Minho. “I feel bad for him. I wish I could be of help but there’s nothing I can do.”

Minho didn’t reply and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. He stared at Seungyoon as the younger walked back towards the duo. “Have you considered other options?”

Seungyoon chuckled. “Oh yeah? What do you suggest?”

“I don’t know… Maybe getting another job?”Jinwoo replied sincerely. Seungyoon and Minho turned towards him with a poker face. The eldest pursed his lips and shrugged. “Man, both your eyes resemble pandas and your eye bags are almost touching the ground.”

“Thanks.” Seungyoon said sarcastically. “Took a few months of training.”

“You can move to another apartment? You live in a TWO bedroom apartment that is TWO blocks away from school. It’s bound to be expensive.” Minho pointed out.

Seungyoon pouted. “But I like my two bedroom apartment… Plus, it’s annoying to find a new place to move into. I’m sure there’s nowhere else that I will like as much as my current home. And you know how I’m always late in the morning! Living two blocks away is such a blessing!”

“And also a chunk of your pay cheque.” Jinwoo rolled his eyes.

“No but seriously. Why don’t you just find a roommate or something then?” Minho suggested, crossing his arms.

Seungyoon raised an eyebrow and laughed. “Are you for real? You have a roommate and I thought you just complained about him.”

“Yeah but it’s not like it’s a re-occurring thing.” Minho paused before knocking on the wooden table. “Uh, knock on wood. You just got to look for the right person.”

Jinwoo slowly began to nod. “That’s not a bad idea. If you have a roommate then he splits the rent in half with you.”

Seungyoon’s eyes widened for a second. “That’s tempting but I like living alone. You guys should know that by now.”

“Oh you poor little baby boy, complaining about life.” Minho began making pathetic baby noises while pinching Seungyoon’s cheeks. The younger had to slap his hand away. “Just it up! Here’s a friendly reminder, school is starting in two weeks which means you won’t have as much time to work, which means you’ll be even more broke!”

Seungyoon gulped. “Splitting the rent in half… That means I only pay $500 a month! Damn... That sounds too good to be true.”

Minho clicked his tongue and gave Seungyoon a mischievous grin. “Do a little more calculation. You could be splitting grocery money and other things too. Pay half the bill… etcetera. The list on the things you save goes on.”

‘Ding ding ding’

The three male snapped their heads at the noise made by the chef behind the kitchen counter. “You three! Stop standing there and give your customers their food! It’s been here for a whole minute now!”

The three quickly replied a “got it” before scrambling on their feet to retrieve the dishes.

“Give it some thought.” Minho quickly mumbled before walking over to a table for their order.

Seungyoon simply stared off into space as his mind repeated what his friends just told him moments ago. He slowly nodded at himself and muttered “I’ll… think about it.”

---

“I can’t believe I’m doing this!” Seungyoon exclaimed as he finished typing up his ad and clicked ‘post’ on his college’s forum.

His two friends leaned in and ruffled the younger’s hair. “Good for you. You manned up. I’m proud of you.”

“Wait a minute…” Jinwoo faintly murmured as he continued reading Seungyoon’s post that has just been published. “Seeking roommate for two bedroom apartment… Must be hygienic, organized, independent…” His voice trailed off as the list goes on forever for another page. “Seriously? Oh Seungyoon-ah, sorry to burst your bubble but I don’t think anyone is going to reply.”

“Well, it’s a good start.” Minho tried to encourage him but ended up laughing at the thought.

“What’s wrong with my ad?” Seungyoon shrugged. “I have to ensure that whoever is going to live with me is not going to interfere with my life. And all those criteria are needed.”

Minho raised an eyebrow. “Okay…” His eyes scanned down the list until one in particular caught his eyes. “Must chew food with mouth closed?”

“I hate hearing people smack their mouth while eating.”

“Fair enough…” Minho brought his hand up in a defeated motion.

Jinwoo shook his head. “Must provide own furniture? No sharing allowed? What the heck were you thinking about? For your info, your apartment already has a ton of your furniture in it. How’s it supposed to fit more?”

“Yeah but I don’t like other people touching my things.”

Jinwoo and Minho stared at each other in disbelief. Seungyoon slammed his laptop shut and sighed at his friends. “Look, I’m sure someone will be interested. I’m going to find the best of the best roommate ever! Top notch level, just you watch!”

“Yeah, good luck with that.” The two mumbled.

---

-one week later-

Luck was not on Seungyoon’s side. He should have listened to his friends. It was already the seventh person that Seungyoon has sent out his apartment as he just rejected another potential roommate. He shook his head in disbelief as he continued telling his friends what happened. “I can’t believe it! How can no one fit the criteria that I’m looking for? Is it really that hard?” He downed another mouthful of beer before slamming it down on the table.

The two jumped up a little, startled at Seungyoon’s response.

“Uh… Well to be honest, like I said, that list you made is nearly impossible to find. You’re basically looking for like… The perfect person.” Jinwoo explained.

“Don’t be so picky, mate.” Minho suggested.

“ this. I’ll just live by myself. I don’t even want a roommate in the first place.”

Minho rolled his eyes and Jinwoo pouted. “Oh come on bro. Stop being such a girl! Why do you have so many expectations? It’s just a ROOMMATE. It’s just someone who lives in a shared space with you. You two don’t even need to talk. You don’t even need to acknowledge each other. Yet you get so many benefits! Half the rent, half the money for food, half the hydro bill…”

Seungyoon sighed. “But-“ He was cut off when his cellphone began ringing. It was an unknown number. “Hello?” He decided to put his phone on speaker just so his friends can listen in as well.

“Uh, is this Seungyoon?”

“This is he.”

“I saw your ad on the school’s forum. Are you still looking for a roommate?”

“Uh...” He glanced up at his friends who kept nodding at him and urging him to say yes. He sighed. “Yes. Are you interested?”

“How should I know? Maybe. Uh, perhaps I can drop by later to take a look?”

Seungyoon already cringed at this person’s attitude. ‘Maybe? Who replies with a maybe?’ But he buried that thought aside and agreed. “Sure. How does 3 this afternoon sound?”

“3… I guess I can make that. See you.”

“Bye-“

The line was cut off before Seungyoon was able to finish his sentence. “Man, what’s up with his attitude?”

Jinwoo shrugged. “Seems like he’s perfect for you. Gets to the point, sounds quite independent, and he definitely doesn’t sound like someone who would intervene with your life.”

Minho nodded. “Ditto that.”

Seungyoon sighed. “This better work out.”

---

It was 3:44pm already when Seungyoon checked the time on his watch while waiting impatiently in his apartment building. He mentally added another problem with this ‘potential’ roommate- tardiness. He sighed as he lazed around and changed the channel again on his television. He took in his surrounding, giving a second thought about this whole ordeal. ‘But I really do want someone to split the bills with me…’ He pouted and then his doorbell rang.

He made a face before dreading his walk towards the door, hoping that things will be able to work out.

He reluctantly opened the door and came face to face with a male around his age and height. Seungyoon unconsciously studied the man up and down until his gaze lingered at the other’s face again.

“Are you Seungyoon?”

The brunette snapped back into reality at his voice. “Uh, yes.” Seungyoon stood there wondering what explanation his potential roommate would offer him for his tardiness. He waited but the other didn’t say anything about it.

“Well, aren’t you going to invite me in and show me around?”

‘Unbelievable!’ Seungyoon thought but stepped aside to gesture for his guest to go in. He stared at the suitcase that the man with the middle hair parting brought in.

“Uh, and you are?”

“Name’s Taehyun.” Seungyoon was about to offer a handshake but his guest simply walked past him and into the kitchen. ‘What? He just walked past me like that? Big attitude…sheesh.’

“Kitchen’s a little small but it’ll do.” Taehyun commented after attempting to wipe grease off the stove with his finger. He examined his finger and shrugged before strolling into the living room.

“Small but cozy. The kitchen is awesome. Never had a problem with it once!” Seungyoon informed the other. “I keep the area really clean, as you can tell.”

Taehyun merely gave a small nod. He continued looking around. “TV could be of better quality, but I guess it’ll do too.” Seungyoon’s eyes turned into slits as he fiercely gazed at Taehyun’s back.

“Reception here is good. Never had a problem with the television even during a thunderstorm.” He turned up the volume to demonstrate his point. “Perfect surround sound. Great for movie nights in.”

Taehyun seemed uninterested at his words and began to stroll into the hallway. “Which one’s the room?”

Seungyoon quickly followed behind his guest. He assumed Taehyun meant the room that he’s renting out. “To your left.”

Taehyun walked into the room and shook his head disapprovingly. “What is this? A study room?”

“Uh well yeah… I live alone and am a student. But this is the room I’m renting out.” Seungyoon explained as Taehyun walked towards the window and opened it.

“Hmm, view is okay I guess.”

“Yeah… it’s uh, nice. Breezy summers and warm winters.”

Taehyun turned towards Seungyoon and shoved his hands in his pocket. “To be honest, it’s not really meeting my criteria, especially for the amount you’re asking for. But I’ll take it for $400.

Seungyoon’s eyes bulged out. “What? $400??”

“You heard me right the first time.”

“Are you kidding me? $400? That’s like taking you in for free!”

Just then, Seungyoon’s phone began ringing. Staring at Taehyun’s face is making him boil with anger. He stared at the caller ID and noticed Minho’s name. He walked out to the kitchen and answered the call “Oh, hyung.”

“How’s the potential roommate?”

“Not going very well. He wants me to lower it to $400.”

“WHAT? $500 isn’t even that much for such a prime location!”

“I know! That dumb … I don’t like him. He’s got such an attitude problem that I can’t stand.”

Minho chuckled on the other line. “That’s what you say about all of them.”

“… Yeah well, this one is different.”

“Oh come on Seungyoon-ah. School is starting in a few days and your time is running out. I don’t think you will be able to find someone else!”

“But I’m not taking in this guy as a roommate.”

“Gosh. Just a reminder, you also need to pay your landlord by the end of the week.”

Seungyoon pursed his lips. He almost forgot about that. Recalling his last conversation with his landlord suddenly gave him a chill down his spine. “Ah, …”

“Why don’t you take in the guy for now then kick him out when you find a better one?”

“But… $400??”

“I don’t know… Try to reason with him? I’m just saying that you shouldn’t waste your time on showing more people… Anyways I got to run now. Customers are piling in. Bye!”

“Wait! Hyung! Hyung! Ugh!” Seungyoon sighed frustratedly then he noticed Taehyun walking out from his room.

The mid split guy cocked his head to the side. “Well? Is $400 okay?”

“What about $450?” Seungyoon asked, pleading that the other will agree to his lowered offer.

“$400.” Taehyun took one last look around the apartment and slowly nodded. “I’ll take it for $400. And that’s final.”

Seungyoon took a deep breath and succumbed to the other. “Alright…” Seungyoon said yet his tone doesn’t seem too enthusiastic. “So when are you moving in?”

Taehyun plopped himself down on the sofa in front of the television. Seungyoon stared in disbelief. “Uh, like now.” He pointed at his luggage. “That’s all I have anyways.”

Seungyoon faked a cough. “I see. Look, I think I need to set a few rules now that we will be living together.” Taehyun crossed his arms and legs and simply gave Seungyoon an intimidating stare. “One, you must not touch my belongings.” Taehyun clicked his tongue and shook his head as he chuckled. Seungyoon did not like his response but continued. “Two, you may not bring anyone to stay overnight.” Taehyun raised an eyebrow but sat still to listen further. “Three, besides rent, we are splitting every payment within this house hold in half. Any questions?”

Taehyun bit his lips uncomfortably before he resumed looking at Seungyoon. “First, I have no furniture of my own so we need to share. I’ll get my own bed though. But everything else I will use.” His sentence earned himself a glare from the brunette. “Second, I agree. And I sure hope you don’t do the same thing. Otherwise it’s really unfair, don’t you think?” To that, Seungyoon nodded. “Third, if you’re not allowing me to use your things, then this just doesn’t make sense does it? Therefore, splitting bills is okay as long as I can use all the facilities within this apartment and that includes using your belongings. Any questions?”

Seungyoon stared at the other and pinched the bridge of his nose, deep in thought. He cleared his throat after remembering his conversation with his landlord as well as the massive amount of tuition he has to pay by the end of the month. “Oh screw it. Yeah sure. Whatever.”

Taehyun got up onto his feet and walked to Seungyoon until they are less than a feet apart. “Why thank you for your generosity. Nice meeting you, roommate.”

“Welcome…” Seungyoon replied unwillingly.

And that was when Seungyoon and Taehyun shook hands for the first time.

 

 

Author’s Note:

I can’t believe I already got subscribers from the foreword!!*dabs tissue on face* You have no idea how happy I am, knowing you guys like the idea of the story that much 

How’s the first chapter? I know much of it is in the foreword already but I think writing it out can let you all have a better sense of the characters themselves. Don’t worry, I’m not leaving Seunghoon out of the story. In fact, he will show up within the next chapter, I promise!

So… Seungyoon and Taehyun are now roommates. What disaster awaits them in the next chapter? Hurrhurrhurrr….

And, as always, please subscribe, comment and/or upvote! It is much appreciated :D Have an awesome day!